• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
It was for the first month the game was out. A toggle was added in a patch.

At the beginning, yeah. People started modding it in and QLOC ended up adding the option, but it needed a frame skip option enabled because it could bug out due how it was handled in source.

Having looked at cutscene stutter on PC: You can see frametime spikes even on pause. Something's up with how the game is reading movie files?
Thank you both! I'm very sensitive to frameratue fluctuations and get motion sickness and headaches easily. Hope they patch it in here too!

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
The voices sound mixing is weird during the campaign, they're speaking outside and it clearly feels like they're talking inside a studio. I don't remember the characters being this disconnected from their voices in the previous game.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The patch also replaced "+" stage box with an actual stage that was missing previously, but there's still + boxes for characters and Kameos.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Raiden is awesome, he's moves are so fast 👌🏻

Story mode is very enjoyable so far.

PC perf thread
Jun 12, 2018
Made a PC performance thread for PC steam users. There's contact information in there if you're having issues. Hope it helps

www.resetera.com

Mortal Kombat 1 PC Performance

Post your Mortal Kombat 1 PC impressions, solutions, etc. If you have any issues, use the following link Contact Warner Brother Games for Help (They are very responsive) https://twitter.com/WBGamesSupport ED Boon (Twitter Account) https://twitter.com/noobde Contact QLOC about issues (the...

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
• Getting sent clips from friends playing the Switch version and they have almost nothing but bad things to say about the port. Looks like it's dropping well below 60 FPS during fights, far worse than the 50-60 FPS performance of MK11's Switch Port. Oh, yeah, and Invasion is delayed there too.

• PC version is supposedly stuttering and dropping to the mid-50s at 4K on a 4090. I have a 4090 and an i9 13900KF in my rig so I'm fearing the worst.

• Performance is solid during combat on PS5 and Series X but apparently Invasion mode runs like shit.

• 30 FPS menus and Fatalities on every version with no option to remove that cap or go up to 60 FPS on PC.

Wonderful stuff. Even if the core combat is performing as it should on PS5 and Series X|S, the myriad of issues I'm hearing about and seeing are just so fucking disheartening, man. I still have another 3 hours of work to go before I can dig in myself but being bombarded by all of this is just crushing. Once again, sounds like a situation where another month or two in the oven was needed to polish this up.

Bleh. I really hope the core experience offsets my disappointment with the technical performance here but I'm just so damn tired of this shit.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
• PC version is supposedly stuttering and dropping to the mid-50s at 4K on a 4090. I have a 4090 and an i9 13900KF in my rig so I'm fearing the worst.

I'm not experiencing any stutters on PC and I have the same setup as you. I'm have DLSS off and using DLAA @ 4K for a solid 60FPS no issues other than locked 30fps main menu and combat cinematics.

I'll try it on my living room computer which is significantly less powerful to see if there's an issue there with stutters

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Actually wanted to start with Invasions to see if the day one patch was included in my preload and I am glad I did.

This first area is a tutorial of sorts so nice to get it done. Shame about the 30 fps but I can deal with that.

*edit* It appears that I do have it. The first season is here with intro and all.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Played the tutorial and about 20 minutes of Kampaign before leaving for work, and I think it's great. Played on Xbox Series X.

The actual "game feel" (movement and responsiveness of attacks and such) feels elevated over MK11 to me, and the story is off to a deliciously campy start (got up to Liu Kang introducing himself after the scuffle at Madame Bo's -- so yeah, only like 20 minutes in).

So yeah, it's what I wanted from an MK game so far. Hope that I like Invasion and online play (and I hope the online play opens up crossplay sooner than later).

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
• Getting sent clips from friends playing the Switch version and they have almost nothing but bad things to say about the port. Looks like it's dropping well below 60 FPS during fights, far worse than the 50-60 FPS performance of MK11's Switch Port. Oh, yeah, and Invasion is delayed there too.

This kind of surprises me. Yeah the game definitely hitches when Kameos come out, but otherwise the gameplay feels like MK11

Still no Switch footage? :/

I can take some with my iPhone but you'll have to give me a bit of time.

Night Terror

Feb 1, 2018
Okay, for those of you on PC (specifically Nvidia):

1. Set a 60 FPS cap either on NVCP or RTSS.
  2. Set GPU power in NVCP to Maximum Performance.
This should fix most of the stuttering in the cutscenes. Just tested it. Seems the issue is otherwise the GPU will downclock, which is causing the issue with randomn frametime spikes.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to get home and play tonight. Probably best to start with story mode then play invasion once that's all finished up?

Jun 12, 2018
Okay, for those of you on PC (specifically Nvidia):

1. Set a 60 FPS cap either on NVCP or RTSS.
  2. Set GPU power in NVCP to Maximum Performance.
This should fix most of the stuttering in the cutscenes. Just tested it. Seems the issue is otherwise the GPU will downclock, which is causing the issue with randomn frametime spikes.

Thanks, but could you give us a step by step for accessing and changing these settings?

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Still no Switch footage? :/
I'm still downloading the day one patch while I work, but New Donker had this to say about it earlier:

www.resetera.com

Mortal Kombat 1 |OT| The Reset Era OT

DaveB , I did two matches so far docked, and two undocked. Lets get the bad out of the way first I dont remember how long matches took to load in MK11 on Switch, but you’re looking at about 30 seconds here after selecting your character. A loading bar would go a long way here, because you’re...

It sucks to hear that Invasions isn't fully accessible yet for Switch though. Guess I'll dive into the story mode first.

Night Terror

Feb 1, 2018
Thanks, but could you give us a step by step for accessing and changing these settings?

Yeah, if you are unfamiliar with the Nvidia Control Panel, load it up (right click on desktop > Nvidia Control Panel, if on W11, you might need to check "more options" first) and from the left menu, select "Manage 3D Settings":

adaptive_performance.jpg

Click on the "Program Settings" tab, and from the drop down menu, select MK1 (should be named MK12.exe). If it doesn't appear, you can choose to find the program and select the binary from the install path folder.

Once you have selected it, simply scroll down the menu (like the one on the pic above) and find "Power Management mode". From there, select "Prefer Maximum Performance", just like in the screenshot.

As for the FPS cap, it's the second to last option. Enable it and set the value you want (use 60 FPS).

Give it a spin and report back. I've seen some stuttering still, but much less noticeable and much less frequent. It's very apparent from the very start menu video.

Jun 12, 2018
Yeah, if you are unfamiliar with the Nvidia Control Panel, load it up (right click on desktop > Nvidia Control Panel, if on W11, you might need to check "more options" first) and from the left menu, select "Manage 3D Settings":

adaptive_performance.jpg

Click on the "Program Settings" tab, and from the drop down menu, select MK1 (should be named MK12.exe). If it doesn't appear, you can choose to find the program and select the binary from the install path folder.

Once you have selected it, simply scroll down the menu (like the one on the pic above) and find "Power Management mode". From there, select "Prefer Maximum Performance", just like in the screenshot.

As for the FPS cap, it's the second to last option. Enable it and set the value you want (use 60 FPS).

Give it a spin and report back. I've seen some stuttering still, but much less noticeable and much less frequent. It's very apparent from the very start menu video.

You're an absolute legend. Can I put this in the PC performance Thread OP? Should help everyone out

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
Answering a question that I was asking myself, if you are struggling with grab brutalities, you have to do the input as soon as you grab. Took me too long to work that out.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Been a while since I played, but I seem to remember unlocking character skins and such in MK11 was a bit grindy, particularly going around the crypt to unlock stuff. Has that been eased up a bit in this one?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Switch footage I just captured. I did it from the start of the match so you can see the long initial load time. Ignore the background noises like my washer and Microsoft teams lol Oh and dont judge me, Im bad and dont know any Kombos

wait, IMGUR is only uploading 1 minute. Gonna host on YouTube

Last edited:

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Switch footage I just captured. I did it from the start of the match so you can see the long initial load time. Ignore the background noises like my washer and Microsoft teams lol Oh and dont judge me, Im bad and dont know any Kombos

Dang. That load time is something else, but it looks good otherwise. Certainly better than the character select in MK11 that was cut way back for the Switch port.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
where is the d1 patch? they stated yesterdy that it would arrive before the game goes live (for premium users), they released the patch nots...but no patch?

Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had a chance to actually play the game yet, but the intro video didn't stutter at all for me on the Steam version. Installed to SSD 4090/7900X3D

BannerThief

Apr 10, 2019
Seattle
Can't wait until I get home from work, I've managed to dodge-roll spoilers for the story mode. Gonna try a bit of every character in single-player tower climbs before I commit, like I should have done for SF6.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
This story mode is fantastic. And funny too. Really enjoying this.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
If you go to settings you can check the version number at the bottom left. You should be on 0.111-813990.
weird, it is. but there are still a ton of issues with invasion (constant stutter & framerate issues) and especially story mode (all cutscenes stutter on ps5, as if they are played back at the incorrect framerate). the only cutscene without issues, is the initial liu kang narration.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

wait, IMGUR is only uploading 1 minute. Gonna host on YouTube
It is so funny they decided to keep the arm locking animations when the Switch takes a minute to load the match. It makes sense on current generation platforms and PC where they go from an intense conversation directly into a fight but on Switch, they say some threatening shit to each other and then passionately gaze into each other's eyes in total silence for a good forty seconds.

MK11 had the foresight to use JPEGs instead of the animated character selection screen from the other versions, this absolutely should have gone the same route.

Cocaine Jesus

Nov 4, 2018
The lack of crossplay, a huge number of things being locked to 30 fps, stutters, and generally poor PC performance have convinced me not to buy it. Glad I waited, I was ready to shell out for the premium edition today if the PC version was good but alas.

What a disappointment, SF6 demonstrated that it's entirely possible to have a fully functioning PC port with crossplay day one but I guess NRS really doesn't give a fuck about the platform. MK11 showed they at least tried to learn from MKX's PC version but this seems like a step backwards