• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HYPED?!

• HELL YEAH, GET OVER HERE

Votes: 649 60.7%
  • Nope. I'm gonna stay over here thank you very much.

Votes: 190 17.8%
  • Undecided, need to see more before I head over there.

Votes: 230 21.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Then why are you here? What is the point of coming into a thread for a game you don't like to talk about how you don't like it?

For the same reason as you: expressing my opinion and what I always didn't like about the series: the violence and the stiff animations. Sadly, even the 11th installment of the game didn't think of changing any of that.

Oct 25, 2017
For the same reason as you: expressing my opinion and what I always didn't like about the series: the violence and the stiff animations. Sadly, even the 11th installment of the game didn't think of changing any of that.

Why would it change the violence? It's part of its DNA. It's like demanding a non-violent Raid movie or Punisher or Berserk or a John Woo, Paul Verhoeven or Tarantino flick.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Why would it change the violence? It's part of its DNA. It's like demanding a non-violent Raid movie or Punisher or a John Woo, Paul Verhoeven or Tarantino flick.
Actually Diego i have the perfect MK Game for you if you don't want a violent and overly bloody Mortal Kombat Game

71IUxM9a06L._SL1192_.jpg

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
This poll cracked me up.

Thanks, I try :)

Also, I would love to see Takeda return in this. He was a blast to play in MKX and his lore is dope as hell.

So far, we have officially seen:

Scorpion
Sub Zero
Raiden
Geras
Skarlet
Baraka
Shao Khan
(Rain - leaked)

Hinted at:
Cassie Cage (Sonya customization)
Liu Kang (background)
Kung Lao (background)
Kano (Menu)
Kronika (cutscene)
Johnny Cage (background)

Last edited:

Gun

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of having both Cassie and Sonya again. But ok

I hope that they bring back D'Vorah, I loved to play with her in MKX

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind if Cassie returned as a premiere skin. That system worked pretty well for Injustice 2, methinks. Lots of characters who'd have just been viewed as clones still managed to be featured thanks to those costumes.

Horse_Guy

Oct 28, 2017
With how viscous some of Baraka's moves are I can't wait to see Mileena in this system. If she doesn't make it in then I am just going to have to stick with the scissor man.

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I wouldn't mind if Cassie returned as a premiere skin. That system worked pretty well for Injustice 2, methinks. Lots of characters who'd have just been viewed as clones still managed to be featured thanks to those costumes.

Yeah, honestly using characters as skins for other characters with like an extra unique ability or two would help loads. The Black Lightning Raiden Skin in Injustice 2 was a step in the right direction. This way you can hide existing clone characters behind other characters and make the customization feature that much more dynamic. Like Cassie Cage as an alt for one of Sonya's Stances and she gets like 2 unique abilities while retaining the standard Sonya moveset. Or like Fujin as an alt for one of Rain's Stances with wind animations instead of water but the same moveset and like 2 unique abilities.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the idea of Cassie simply being a skin for Sonya. Having both is just a waste. Same for Jax and Jacqui (if they're in the game).

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm so confused about the Skarlet thing. Does she have another old version besides the MK9 one? I don't get how people are saying the new one looks bad ,unless im missing some other design she's had. I have no problem with sexualized designs but the old one was just a bikini with shoulder pads.. That's not better in any situation

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, honestly using characters as skins for other characters with like an extra unique ability or two would help loads. The Black Lightning Raiden Skin in Injustice 2 was a step in the right direction. This way you can hide existing clone characters behind other characters and make the customization feature that much more dynamic. Like Cassie Cage as an alt for one of Sonya's Stances and she gets like 2 unique abilities while retaining the standard Sonya moveset. Or like Fujin as an alt for one of Rain's Stances with wind animations instead of water but the same moveset and like 2 unique abilities.

Honestly switch Sonya to a skin for Cassie and I would be fine. Cassie is different enough from her mother that I wouldn't want her to be minimized in only her second game.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I agree with the idea of Cassie simply being a skin for Sonya. Having both is just a waste. Same for Jax and Jacqui (if they're in the game).
Like the Injustive premier skins? That'd be cool, especially if we can customize them some this time.

But I think Cassie is gonna replace Johnny. They're both funny and play more similar to each other than Cassie and Sonya

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
What are the chances human Smoke comes back?
I really liked his moveset in MK9

Give us at least one cyborg too. I haven't seen the full list of confirmed fighters, was there at least one cyborg?
Cassie Cage as an echo fighter then. Seems fair.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Posted this in another thread. I believe it's all of the info revealed today?

Characters revealed as playable:
- Baraka
- Raiden
- Geras (uses hour glass sand as a weapon/teleport, actually has a move that removes time from the clock/speeds it up/slows it down, etc.)
- Skarlet (returns with her blood focused attacks)
- Sonya (voiced by Ronda Rousey - to be honest, it sounded pretty rough)
- Sub-Zero
- Kabal (will be the first new character revealed on the Kombat Kast two weeks from now)
- Liu Kang (revenant) (you see Raiden fighting him in the gameplay trailer briefly)
- Shao Kahn (though we didn't see him yet, he's a pre-order character)
- Kitana is the character on the menu for "Kustomize" and Cassie talks to her in an intro
- Kano (shown in the local fight menu against either Sonya or Cassie)
- Based on character select screen, it looks like 25 characters at launch, and then one would assume 9+ DLC fighters. But the character select screen could be not final.

Characters not yet revealed as playable:
- Liu Kang (non-revenant - presumably thanks to time travel, he looks young - don't see him in gameplay yet, though, but you do see him fighting his revenant version)
- Kung Lao (non-revenant - presumably thanks to time travel, he looks young - don't see him in gameplay yet, though)
- Kung Lao (revenant - see him in devblog fighting his non revenant version)
- Kronika (can control time - not known if she is a boss or playable character or just a part of the story mode as an overseer - don't see her in gameplay yet, though)
- Cassie Cage (she's seen in Dev blog, identifiable by her dog tags - looks like from a fight intro, but not possible to confirm it's not part of the story mode and not playable - it *may* be her in the local fight menu screen with Kano, but it may just be Sonya (longer hair))
- Rain (apparently Sonic Fox had listed him as their main for MK11, hard to know if it's because he knows something we don't, or are trolling/guessing - it also appears that he's the character in the Konquest menu)
- Jade (apparently pro players had listed her as their main, hard to know if it's because they know something we don't, or are trolling/guessing)

Characters assumed to not be playable:
- Shinnok (see story mode breakdown below)

Story Mode Prologue:
-
Shinnok tortured by Dark Raiden, who is wearing Shinnok's amulet.
- Raiden says he will deliver Shinnok's decapitated head to Liu Kang + his "minions" as a message.
- Kronika freeze time, heavily implied time travel is key.
- Characters will meet themselves from different times.

Gameplay details:
- Variations - there are some pre-sets in game, but you can create your own
- Each variation allows you to change: introduction animation, victory pose, round taunt, possibly fatalities/brutalities and some extra moves (hard to tell from what we see) and 3 x costume pieces (Scorpion was mask + sword + spear)
- On top of this you can change the gear/colour of your character. They showed a good 10 or so Scorpion variations that looked fantastic.
- Instead of one bar to control breakers, meter burn + x-ray moves, there is now an offensive bar, a defensive bar and the fatal blow mechanic.
- The fatal blow mechanic kicks in at low health left. Pretty LT + RT unleashes it (very gory, very high damaging move, but if I'm not mistaken, does not show x-rays). You can only land this once per match.
- X-ray animations are no longer tied to the flashy super moves, they can be a part of simple moves like throws. They are called crushing blows and do a lot of damage (each has a different requirement - some are doing punishes, some are doing same move three times, third time it crushes, etc.). Each crushing blow can only be done once per match.
- There is a flawless block mechanic. If you press block at the exact right time you open your opponent up to a counter move. You can have this be the first block on a string, or if there is enough of a gap between hits in a string, you can sometimes flawless block a 2nd or 3rd hit.
- There is a shorthop mechanic (tap up) allowing you to punish low attacks.
- Run is completely gone, now it's walk and dash only.
- Stage interactions return.
- Fatalities are back (obviously) and very gory and end with the slow-down animation that Injustice 2 used.
- Brutalities are back (you see them on the customize character screen).
- Computer AI programming returns from Injustice 2 (you see the attributes on the customize character screen).
- Animations look better overall, but still some weird 'fence punching' and awkward idle poses so far.

Stages:
- Courtyard (w/ dead monks)
- Military base
- Area outside a fort w/ gate
- Area inside a fort or temple
- A boat (?)
- Cage fighting in a bar (w/ Kano in the background)
- Looks to be 17 stages total, but that could be temporary.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Give us at least one cyborg too. I haven't seen the full list of confirmed fighters, was there at least one cyborg?

That's like saying Bowser Jr. is an echo fighter of Bowser.

Cassie doesn't really play anything like Sonya.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Not really. Cassie had far more of Johnny's personality in her moves than Sonya by far (she was more of a mix). If Cassie's in, she needs to be a showboat, punching crotches, texting between fights, and being unruly throughout the match.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9567mwpyrjks4k08g0cookooc_640.gif

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

- Baraka
- Raiden
- Geras (uses hour glass sand as a weapon/teleport, actually has a move that removes time from the clock/speeds it up/slows it down, etc.)
- Sub-Zero
- Kabal (will be the first new character revealed on the Kombat Kast two weeks from now)
- Liu Kang (revenant) (you see Raiden fighting him in the gameplay trailer briefly)
- Kitana is the character on the menu for "Kustomize" and Cassie talks to her in an intro
- Based on character select screen, it looks like 25 characters at launch, plus Shao Kahn, and then one would assume 9+ DLC fighters. But the character select screen could be not final.

- Liu Kang (non-revenant - presumably thanks to time travel, he looks young - don't see him in gameplay yet, though, but you do see him fighting his revenant version)
- Kung Lao (non-revenant - presumably thanks to time travel, he looks young - don't see him in gameplay yet, though)
- Kronika (can control time - not known if she is a boss or playable character or just a part of the story mode as an overseer - don't see her in gameplay yet, though)
- Cassie Cage (she's seen in Dev blog, identifiable by her dog tags - looks like from a fight intro, but not possible to confirm it's not part of the story mode and not playable)
- Rain (apparently Sonic Fox had listed him as their main for MK11, hard to know if it's because he knows something we don't, or are trolling/guessing)
- Jade (apparently pro players had listed her as their main, hard to know if it's because they know something we don't, or are trolling/guessing)

- Kano (seen in the background of Geras' trailer at the bar - these background characters rarely become playable)

Story Mode Prologue:
-
- Raiden says he will deliver Shinnok's decapitated head to Liu Kang + his "minions" as a message.

Gameplay details:
- Each variation allows you to change: introduction animation, victory pose, round taunt, possibly fatalities/brutalities and some extra moves (hard to tell from what we see) and 3 x costume pieces (Scorpion was mask + sword + spear)
- On top of this you can change the gear/colour of your character. They showed a good 10 or so Scorpion variations that looked fantastic.
- Instead of one bar to control breakers, meter burn + x-ray moves, there is now an offensive bar, a defensive bar and the fatal blow mechanic.
- The fatal blow mechanic kicks in at low health left. Pretty LT + RT unleashes it (very gory, very high damaging move, but if I'm not mistaken, does not show x-rays). You can only land this once per match.
- X-ray animations are no longer tied to the flashy super moves, they can be a part of simple moves like throws. They are called crushing blows and do a lot of damage (each has a different requirement - some are doing punishes, some are doing same move three times, third time it crushes, etc.). Each crushing blow can only be done once per match.
- There is a flawless block mechanic. If you press block at the exact right time you open your opponent up to a counter move. You can have this be the first block on a string, or if there is enough of a gap between hits in a string, you can sometimes flawless block a 2nd or 3rd hit.
- Fatalities are back (obviously) and very gory and end with the slow-down animation that Injustice 2 used.
- Computer AI programming returns from Injustice 2 (you see the attributes on the customize character screen).
- Animations look better overall, but still some weird 'fence punching' and awkward idle poses so far.

Stages:
- Military base
- A boat (?)

Kano was shown in the menu image for local play with Cassie as posted above, indicating he's also playable.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Based off all the forums Im reading my count for the roster so far is ...
1. Shao Kahn
2. Raiden
3. Scorpion
4. Sub-Zero
5. Sonya
6. Skarlet
7. Geras
8. Kung Lao
9. Liu Kang
10. Baraka
11. Kitana
12. Cassie
13. Rain
14. Jade
15. Kabal
16. Kano
17. Johnny Cage
and maybe playable Kronika

There's new zoomed in pictures posted every second
uhtNi4w.jpg

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Cassie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sonya by a gazillion miles

Sonya became more and more generic and boring,

meanwhile Cassie was a breath of fresh air out of the box and one of most humorous characters

+Ronda voicing Sonya now makes her even way more generic and less interesting

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
How many new charcters do you think there will be - i am expecting 4-5 including the 2 we already got

With a 25/26 person roster, there will probably only be about 6 new characters total, with the majority of the roster being brought over from MKX and some that haven't seen the light in a while (like Skarlett).

MKX brought Cassie Cage, D'Vorah, Erron Black, Ferra/Tor, Jacqui Briggs, Kotal Kahn, Kung Jin, Takeda, and Triborg to the mix. Out of its roster of 25, 9 were newcomers. Taking that into account, MK11 would be each of these characters' second appearance, so it wouldn't be hard to imagine some of them being part of the base roster. I'd say we get about 14 legacy characters, 4 obscure characters, 2 MKX newbies, and 6 MK11 newbies.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Based off all the forums Im reading my count for the roster so far is ...
1. Shao Kahn
2. Raiden
3. Scorpion
4. Sub-Zero
5. Sonya
6. Skarlet
7. Geras
8. Kung Lao
9. Liu Kang
10. Baraka
11. Kitana
12. Cassie
13. Rain
14. Jade
15. Kabal
16. Kano
17. Johnny Cage
and maybe playable Kronika

There's new zoomed in pictures posted every second
uhtNi4w.jpg

While it's not confirmed i think Kronika will be playable. Also Shao Khan will likely not be counted as one of those 26

Also the fact that Sub-Zero doesn't have the Ice Clones definitely think they have given them to Frost and her mechanics will likely revolve around them - i am actually going to make a prediction. Noob Saibot won't be in the game as well as Frost will borrow some of his moves in terms of manipulating another version of himself through more ice themed.

With a 25/26 person roster, there will probably only be about 6 new characters total, with the majority of the roster being brought over from MKX and some that haven't seen the light in a while (like Skarlett).

MKX brought Cassie Cage, D'Vorah, Erron Black, Ferra/Tor, Jacqui Briggs, Kotal Kahn, Kung Jin, Takeda, and Triborg to the mix. Out of its roster of 25, 9 were newcomers. Taking that into account, MK11 would be each of these characters' second appearance, so it wouldn't be hard to imagine some of them being part of the base roster. I'd say we get about 14 legacy characters, 4 obscure characters, 2 MKX newbies, and 6 MK11 newbies.

Possible though i think we will get more MKX Newbies and maybe 4 MK11 Newcomers. I think if you are correct then it will be Cassie and Kotal Khan

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So... Any word about the gameplay in Story Mode? Was the whole "It's like Shaolin Monks" leak fake?

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Baraka
- Raiden
- Sub-Zero
- Based on character select screen, it looks like 25 characters at launch, plus Shao Kahn, and then one would assume 9+ DLC fighters. But the character select screen could be not final.

- Cassie Cage (she's seen in Dev blog, identifiable by her dog tags - looks like from a fight intro, but not possible to confirm it's not part of the story mode and not playable)
- Rain (apparently Sonic Fox had listed him as their main for MK11, hard to know if it's because he knows something we don't, or are trolling/guessing)

- Kano (seen in the background of Geras' trailer at the bar - these background characters rarely become playable).

Couple thoughts here:

If we are assuming the character select screen does have the final number of characters at launch, then its going to be 24+ Shao Khan, not 25.

If revenant Liu Kang is playable, then so is regular/living Liu. They wouldn't split them into different characters. Same with Kung Lao.

There is some precedent with NRS games to have a character be part of a stage, but also be playable. For example, Superman paces around in his cell in Injustice 2 in the red sun prison stage, but he is still playable. If you play him on that stage, they just remove him from the background. SO, Kano could still be in. He also shows up in one of the menu art pieces fighting Cassie, so that could be a sign he is playable as well.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Now that's a much better trailer. Is that chick fighting with weapons made of congealed blood? Also Baraka ripping Scorpion's face off *thumbs up*. Subzero looking much better than last game.

Not really. It's comparable to the last game's starting roster.
Roster1.jpg
Oh... I only buy the Komplete edition so maybe that's why it seems light. Never seen the original line up. Although in 2019 you'd think we'd be getting much chunkier rosters.

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California

- Baraka
- Raiden
- Sub-Zero

- Kano (seen in the background of Geras' trailer at the bar - these background characters rarely become playable)

Story Mode Prologue:
-

Gameplay details:

Stages:
- Military base
- A boat (?)

Thanks for the recap!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks absolutely beautiful, exactly what I expected fighters to look like this generation: Beautifully detailed character models and equally beautiful, detailed and atmospheric stages. IJ2 came close, but MK11 finally did it. :)
Unfortunately I am a bit turned off by the extreme gore of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.