• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Personal Opinion outside of Sonya's face, i really like the female designs in this game. In my opinion so far better then MK9/X

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Has it been confirmed that Shao Khan is one of those 25 characters in the grid. For all we know, he could be the 26th

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
She's not a stripper anymore, basically. What a shame...
tumblr_n65j0p0HQn1tazhx4o1_400.gif

CGgD.gif

For as fantastic as MK9 was... god MK9 sucked.

Jan 11, 2018
Personal Opinion outside of Sonya's face, i really like the female designs in this game. In my opinion so far better then MK9/X

I mean, this is the first time since UMK3 where they're using the likeness of real people. So we get real women. I'm okay with Sonya's face (she actually doesn't look that much like Ronda)... I'm more annoyed by the awful voice acting.

Whether or not you like the faces of the actors or how they've been cast is one thing, but they all look great because they're based on real people. No weird proportions or inconsistencies. It finally looks like real people fighting, again.

Most of the male ninjas were fine, but the ladies.... I remember making about 50 mock-ups of better Sonya designs where she wore a shirt or at least a bra. All the girls looked like they were pole dancers.

The male characters looked fine in general because their costumes were elaborate and meant to be memorable. Then they just put all the female characters in as little clothes as possible, using the exact same body for all of them (broad shoulders and silicon tits galore).

However, none of the faces in MK9 or IGAU look good. And that is true for both sexes. People saying they think the women in MK11 look "ugly" (here's hoping the IRL face models have thick skin!) must have selective memory. Kitana and Jade both looked better with their masks on in MK9, and Sonya looked like shit. They all had odd looking square faces. NRS have come a long way since.

MKX had great costume designs for Kitana and Mileena though. Edenians in general showed quite a bit of skin in that game, but not in a sleazy way. There was some thought and attention for details put into those costumes. Mileena's Khanum dress is GOAT.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Ayy, she looks super fun. Heels are stupid, but I love her staff use. The third variation she had is probably what I'm going to run with.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
From the description of the Jade trailer on Youtube.

Jade serves the Netherrealm as an undead Revenant resurrected by an evil sorcerer.

Sounds like Quan Chi's doing. But Jade never appeared in MKX as one of Quan Chi's servants. And Jade couldn't have been resurrected by Quan Chi as of recent when Scorpion got him over there. Unless Quan Chi just left her on the back burner from MK9 because I don't know he doesn't like her or something.

NEW EVIL SORCERER CHARACTER?

Jan 11, 2018

Sounds like Quan Chi's doing. But Jade never appeared in MKX as one of Quan Chi's servants. And Jade couldn't have been resurrected by Quan Chi as of recent when Scorpion got him over there. Unless Quan Chi just left her on the back burner from MK9 because I don't know he doesn't like her or something.

I still think Kronika took her in at some point and made her a servant. Unless other revenants have the same green-blueish skin colour with cracks/veins reminding of those on Geras, in which case that'd be a weird change.

It's also possible she was working for Quan Chi off screen during MKX.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

Jade was among the revenants that Raiden fought in the end of MK9, and while they looked different than their MKX versions, I think it was cannon that Quan Chi raided her from the dead. The question will be where she was in MKX, and it can be as simple as having a secret mission, or even that her form was damaged or captured.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Holy shit Jade looks amazing :0

But did I see her RUN? Unless it's a special ability because I don't think running is in the game.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I can't confirm it myself, but there was a thread on reddit that had a video of one the Brazilian voice actors (I don't know if it is) confirming Cassie and mentioning that she is paired with another character to fight with. They posted a video along with it, but...like I said, I can't confirm.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I can't confirm it myself, but there was a thread on reddit that had a video of one the Brazilian voice actors (I don't know if it is) confirming Cassie and mentioning that she is paired with another character to fight with. They posted a video along with it, but...like I said, I can't confirm.
Paired like Noob Smoke? Or paired like she'll be revealed alongside another character, like Jacqui or Johnny Cage?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Surprisingly, Jade has the same voice actor/re-used dialogue from the mobile game.

Compare these (timestamped):

Honestly, didn't even know she had a voice in the mobile game. Some of her MK11 dialogue was just out there for years and nobody knew...

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see Frost. The new designs so far have been fire.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to see Frost. The new designs so far have been fire.
I'm really blown away at just how many variations there are. Dozens of outfits per character, with 3 further elements able to be customized.

And that's not even touching the gameplay customization: you can alter the actual combat mechanics by tweaking or replacing certain abilities and chains!? God damn!!

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently in that video, Cassie's relationship with this male character is compared to Champa and Vados from Dragon Ball Super? Huh.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Also from that reddit thread posted by user Lauson1ex,

"Another thing I forgot to mention!! The dub director said in the video that about 50 VAs were needed to voiced all the characters of the game. Make of that what you will."

What do you mean by paired together, like 17 & 18 in DBFZ or Ferra & Torr in MKX?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I find it an interesting observation that folks praise NRS for their storytelling and single player campaigns in the recent MK games, but when it comes returning cast of characters and their revenant appearance it comes across a response from people not playing those same single player modes that were apparently praised so much.

RECAP. Sindel kills a whole bunch of people in MK9, later on in the story Raiden makes a stupid deal with Quan Chi to give the souls of the dead Earthrealm defenders in exchange for his help. Raiden learns how Kahn be destroyed by merging the realms without winning Mortal Kombat.

Basically since that point in MK9 Quan Chi has made undead / revenant slaves of those characters that died. They also return in MKX as as sort of Anti-Raiden / Earthrealm faction mind controlled by Quan Chi. It isn't until Quan Chi dies that most of these characters regain their freedom despite still being undead.

And now we move on to the events of MK11 which is a direct continuation of the ending of MKX.

Not every character that was a revenant in MKX was saved and returned to their human bodies.

Jan 11, 2018
I find it an interesting observation that folks praise NRS for their storytelling and single player campaigns in the recent MK games, but when it comes returning cast of characters and their revenant appearance it comes across a response from people not playing those same single player modes that were apparently praised so much.

I would argue NRS set the gold standard with how to produce a fighting game story mode with MK9, and they've kept it going ever since. But the writing has been subpar, and I think that's a separate issue. The infamous Sindel scene in MK9 is rubbish, but it doesn't stop the presentation of the mode in general from being top tier. It's a bit like Daft Punk's music. In terms of actual songwriting there really isn't that much quality to speak of, but the packaging and production value makes it nice and pleasant to listen to anyway.

Starting with Injustice 2, it wasn't just the face models that improved but also the writing since they're now employing actual comic book writers and not the same kind of people who wrote the stupid plots of the 3D era games. I mean, at the end of the day the Revenant thing is just a repeat of having half the cast die in Deadly Alliance and being resurrected to serve Onaga in Deception.

As for how to save the remaining Revenants I wouldn't be surprised if they either find a way to channel the power of Quan Chi from the past to do it, or if some of the younger human versions just permanently replace them and we have an odd timeline where Liu Kang is the same age as Cassie Cage lol.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
As for how to save the remaining Revenants I wouldn't be surprised if they either find a way to channel the power of Quan Chi from the past to do it, or if some of the younger human versions just permanently replace them and we have an odd timeline where Liu Kang is the same age as Cassie Cage lol.

You know this is a perfectly valid way for NRS to some of the aging characters young so they aren't totally aged out of the continuity. Because Old Liu Kang and Old Kung Lao were definitely a thing in MKX, despite not technically being canon because apparently the Revenants in MKX do not age while undead.

Although this makes me want to see current old Johnny Cage meet his younger self from the past I can totally picture it.

Young Cage: Hey gramps, think you can keep up with me?

Old Cage: Was I really such a douche at that age?

ROUND ONE FIGHT!

Bruv, MK stories are dumb as balls. But that's why they're fun.

It's like watching the MK movies.

I don't know. there is some silliness to the MK stories but out of every other fighting game out there they maintain a lot of consistency and maintain a good continuity to the point there is a minimal plot holes. They put a lot work into the world building and lore with the different realms, and the background stories for the characters. At least there is a degree of effort here and a foundation that puts it on a level beyond most other fighting games which story is typically an afterthought.

Last edited:

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Never was a fan of Jade but love her new look and the revenant/dark elf tones. Might have to give her a try especially since she's kind of a zoner.

Jan 11, 2018
You know this is a perfectly valid way for NRS to some of the aging characters young so they aren't totally aged out of the continuity. Because Old Liu Kang and Old Kung Lao were definitely a thing in MKX, despite not technically being canon because apparently the Revenants in MKX do not age while undead.

Kano is pushing 60 too in the current timeline (and damn fit for his age... like bloody hell!).

It'll be awkward though. But going in this direction, we'll definitely see Cassie and Jacqui replace their parents permanently fighting a young Kano. Along with Kano's son, who's now the same age as his father. Eek.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Is just me or do the stages generally feel a bit emptier than MKX's so far?

Also is there no fatality chime? Jade just goes straight into hers without the traditional DUN DUN DUNNNnn as it triggers.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

RECAP. Sindel kills a whole bunch of people in MK9, later on in the story Raiden makes a stupid deal with Quan Chi to give the souls of the dead Earthrealm defenders in exchange for his help. Raiden learns how Kahn be destroyed by merging the realms without winning Mortal Kombat.

Basically since that point in MK9 Quan Chi has made undead / revenant slaves of those characters that died. They also return in MKX as as sort of Anti-Raiden / Earthrealm faction mind controlled by Quan Chi. It isn't until Quan Chi dies that most of these characters regain their freedom despite still being undead.

And now we move on to the events of MK11 which is a direct continuation of the ending of MKX.

Not every character that was a revenant in MKX was saved and returned to their human bodies.

Raiden actually didn't make that deal because Quan Chi had already made it with Shao Kahn.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Is just me or do the stages generally feel a bit emptier than MKX's so far?

It's just you.
I find the stages to be full of detail, more dynamic and overall better than what we had in MKX. Come to think of it, besides the Lin Kuei Temple, that raining stage and obviously The Pit 2, MKX's stages were really mediocre. From what has been revealed, I already like MK11's offerings better, sans that desert stage.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Raiden actually didn't make that deal because Quan Chi had already made it with Shao Kahn.

Right.

However the point is there are still characters previously under Quan Chi's control that remain as revenants that have yet to be revived.

And considering Raiden is presently in his Red Eyes wrathful god state, it will remain to be seen if he snaps out to return to his normal self to help the remaining undead Earthrealm defenders.

So far for the currently non-revived remnants we know are as follows.

Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Jade, Smoke, Nightwolf, Stryker, and Sindel.

Kabal is in MK11 but based on his intros with Sub-Zero it the dialog between them implies it's Old time line Kabal and not current timeline Kabal who remains to be unaccounted for as a revenant.

Cyrax and Sektor are unaccounted for. It can assumed Quan Chi probably had possession of their souls and turned them into his revenant slaves.

I have no idea on the status of Noob Saibot.

Last edited:

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
There goes another slot yet we do not have noob, smoke or reptile... at least new jade looks kinda cool compared to old ones

Jan 11, 2018

Kabal is in MK11 but based on his intros with Sub-Zero it the dialog between them implies it's Old time line Kabal and not current timeline Kabal who remains to be unaccounted for as a revenant.

Ed Boon: Fuck MK3 fans

:P

Cyrax and Sektor are unaccounted for. It can assumed Quan Chi probably had possession of their souls and turned them into his revenant slaves.

How? Sub-Zero killed Sektor and Cyrax killed himself to atone for his sins. It's not like Quan Chi just sat around waiting for people to unexpectedly die so he could steal their souls before they passed on. Would be very contrived if he did this with every single MK character but no one else. Not to mention weird to have the game lore be like "you can't die, because if you do Quan Chi will be there to take your soul and resurrect you as his slave - no pressure!!". He didn't take Reiko's soul for all we know. He only claimed the souls of the lives taken in the tournament of Mortal Kombat. Just like Shang Tsung was known to do. Which makes me wonder why Raiden did nothing to to secure their souls after they died the way they did.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Right.

However the point is there are still characters previously under Quan Chi's control that remain as revenants that have yet to be revived.

And considering Raiden is presently in his Red Eyes wrathful god state, it will remain to be seen if he snaps out to return to his normal self to help the remaining undead Earthrealm defenders.

I have no idea on the status of Noob Saibot.

I'm pretty sure default Kabal is revenant Kabal, as his trailer description says he's serving the Netherrealm and his design has Revenant cues, like the darker skin and glowy bits.

Fight intros don't always hint at the story, and are often just what if's.

Status
Not open for further replies.