• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Wow so many changes. Combo system, no run, dash, fatal blow, different wake up system. Going to attract a lot of new players from other games who didn't like dial-a-combo system.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow... Burch was very solid as Cassie. Losing a lot of successful voices. What's going on?

Scorp, Kitana, Cassie's voices all out. I'm open to the new actors, but there is a bit of MK's identity tied to who has what voice. We're honestly lucky Steve Blum is still Subby.

Wonder if WB is pushing some celebrity garbage onto NRS. They would.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Wow... Burch was very solid as Cassie. Losing a lot of successful voices. What's going on?

Scorp, Kitana, Cassie's voices all out. I'm open to the new actors, but there is a bit of MK's identity tied to who has what voice. We're honestly lucky Steve Blum is still Subby.

Probably because of the SAG strike a couple of years ago. She didn't take part in the Life is Strange prequel as a result too.

WB probably went with non-union actors as a result.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Rewind time eh. So are we gonna soft reboot yet again? Unkill half the cast from 9 and throw out all the kids from X?

Unceremoniously killing half the cast in 9 was always a big mistake. Especially after that game redeemed a lot of previously contentious characters (looking at you, Stryker ;) )

The kids aren't necessarily gone either (evidenced by Cassie).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone ask Boon why is stance switching a thing.

Yo1P6Ui.gif

You literally can't even see Baraka's biting move because of it. He could be kissing her arm for all we know!

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
No feeling it. It looks slowed down compared to MKX with a lot more indulgent interrupts. The presense of all that customization has everything that is there looking a little undercooked compared to the limited outfit choices in X, but we'll see.

Yeah as much I'm liking the changes, the constant slow downs mid match are grating.

Wow so many changes. Combo system, no run, dash, fatal blow, different wake up system. Going to attract a lot of new players from other games who didn't like dial-a-combo system.

What's different about the combo system? Is it not dial a combo anymore??

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks great and Skarlet's new design is fantastic, but that Ronda Rousey casting has deflated my hype quite a bit.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Here's what I saw:

Jesus christ this looks amazing, facial animation is off the charts

Characters revealed as playable:
- Baraka
- Raiden
- Geras (uses hour glass sand as a weapon/teleport, actually has a move that removes time from the clock)
- Skarlet (returns with her blood focused attacks)
- Sonya (voiced by Ronda Rousey - to be honest, it sounded really rough)
- Sub-Zero
- Kabal (will be the first new character revealed on the Kombat Kast two weeks from today)
- Liu Kang (revenant) (you see Raiden fighting him in the gameplay trailer briefly)
- Shao Kahn (though we didn't see him yet)
- Some have said Kitana was briefly playable)

Characters not yet revealed as playable:
- Liu Kang (non-revenant - presumably thanks to time travel, he looks young)
- Kung Lao (non-revenant - presumably thanks to time travel, he looks young)
- Kronika (can control time - not known if she is a boss or playable character or just a part of the story mode as an overseer)

Characters assumed to not be playable:
- Shinnok (see story mode breakdown)
- Kano (seen in the background of Geras' trailer at the bar - these background characters rarely become playable)

Story Mode Prologue:
-
Shinnok tortured by Dark Raiden, who is wearing Shinnok's amulet.
- Raiden says he will deliver Shinnok's decapitated head to Liu Kang + his "minions" as a message.
- Kronika freeze time, heavily implied time travel is key

Gameplay details:
- Variations - there are some pre-sets in game, but you can create your own
- Each variation allows you to change: introduction animation, victory pose, and 3 x costume pieces (Scorpion was mask + sword + spear)
- On top of this you can change the gear/colour of your character. They showed a good 10 or so Scorpion variations that looked fantastic.
- Instead of one bar to control breakers + x-ray moves, there is now an offensive bar, a defensive bar and the fatal blow mechanic
- The fatal blow mechanic kicks in at 30% health left. Pretty LT + RT unleashes it (very gory, high damaging move, but if I'm not mistaken, does not show x-rays).
- X-ray animations are no longer tied to the flashy super moves, they can be a part of simple moves like throws. They are called crushing blows and do a lot of damage (each has a different requirement - some are doing punishes, some are doing same move three times, third time it crushes, etc.). Each crushing blow can only be done once per match.
- There is a flawless block mechanic. If you press block at the exact right time you open your opponent up to a counter move.
- There is a shorthop mechanic (tap up) allowing you to punish low attacks.
- Run is completely gone, now it's walk and dash only.
- Stage interactions return.
- Fatalities are back (obviously) and very gory) and end with the slow-down animation that Injustice 2 used.

re: Rousey
- I thought her voicework was really weak
- Sonya's idle pose is very strange (seems like consistently diagonal, but not in a fight-ready position)
- I am very disappointed MK did indeed hire someone who shared a Sandy Hook truther video, admitted to domestic abuse, is dating someone accused of domestic abuse, and who has made comments deemed everything from disappointing to transmisogynistic.
- Without Rousey, I would have thought this whole reveal was perfect.

Stages:
- Courtyard (w/ dead monks)
- Military base
- Area outside a fort w/ gate
- A boat (?)
- Cage fighting in a bar (w/ Kano in the background)

There's also Jade, Rain, Cassie, Kitana

Blargh, I do have Switch but seems bit of a waste to get it there.

Would it be a waste? I can see the Switch version having a healthy player base if the game runs well.

I like Cassie's new voice. Sounds like she matured a bit.

Man, why are they making fun of the big guy on chat

Who Geras?

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The production and gore looks fantastic as ever, everything else is kinda meh

Character animations didn't receive the proper enhancements.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Havnt really played Mortal Kombat since PS1 or so.. moves are cool but it didnt look very exciting?

And now I see see Rewind vs Sonic.. much better

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Would it be a waste? I can see the Switch version having a healthy player base if the game runs well.
Hopefully it will be good, but yeah it's still bit a waste when I could be playing it on PC instead (if the port is good). But it gets trickier if there's nobody to play against, Switch will probably/likely have more players. And honestly, it would be actually good to get something to play on Switch too. I've neglected it for far too long.

Last edited:

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Hopefully it will be good, but yeah it's still bit a waste when I could be playing it on PC instead (if the port is good). But it gets trickier if there's nobody to play against, Switch will probably/likely have more players.

I'm confused, are you saying having a Switch version is a waste?

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Calling it now, the reason why Sub-Zero doesn't have ice clones is because they gave them to Frost who will play more like traditional Sub-Zero

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
TOM BRADY ON TWITTER:
Thank God there is no more clone. In the modern era where millennials cant even open a can, that move has been more of a downfall. Ppl cried, sz was normalized. No clone now. Welcome to MK, Sub-Zero. Now you can live

😂 God I love Tom Brady!

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
3 frame jumping animations (particularly sonya), mk looks as jank as ever
oh well still gonna play it

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Still can't get over Sonya, Skarlet and Cassie faces.
They got really good at it with Injustice 2 and still managed to fucked it up again.
( I'm not talking about their clothes design, just the faces. )

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017