caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting an enjoyable dumb flick. This was bland, boring and amateurish.
Right

I wouldn't have a problem if it didn't make some avoidable mistakes like Cole and Arcana bullshit
Remove shit like that and i wouldn't complain about watching a movie about stock characters throwing fireballs at each other
But noooooo we have over complicate shit

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So where do we think it heads from here, in the event they get a sequel? I think they're gonna quietly ignore Shang's "I'mma bring armies" line and do a tournament next. Assuming a trilogy:
1. Introduction movie (and boy was it that)
2. Tournament movie
3. Outworld Invasion movie

They'll probably combine elements from MK1 and MK2 into the second movie. I would expect to see Kuai Liang and Noob and the Edenians. Like I said, I think this cast and a lot of this team could make a really good Mortal Kombat flick, but please just get another screenwriter (or at least let the screenwriter do their thing without studio mandates). Quietly drop the Arcana concept, no one will miss it. Bring Kano back with his Cyber Eye. Kill or sideline Cole.

Right

I wouldn't have a problem if it didn't make some avoidable mistakes like Cole and Arcana bullshit
Remove shit like that and i wouldn't complain about watching a movie about stock characters throwing fireballs at each other
But noooooo we have over complicate shit
Don't you know that audiences are idiots and have to have every world concept spoonfed to them? That's why the Marvel movies all flopped so terribly!

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
So where do we think it heads from here, in the event they get a sequel? I think they're gonna quietly ignore Shang's "I'mma bring armies" line and do a tournament next. Assuming a trilogy:
1. Introduction movie (and boy was it that)
2. Tournament movie
3. Outworld Invasion movie

They'll probably combine elements from MK1 and MK2 into the second movie. I would expect to see Kuai Liang and Noob and the Edenians. Like I said, I think this cast and a lot of this team could make a really good Mortal Kombat flick, but please just get another screenwriter (or at least let the screenwriter do their thing without studio mandates). Quietly drop the Arcana concept, no one will miss it. Bring Kano back with his Cyber Eye. Kill or sideline Cole.

Don't you know that audiences are idiots and have to have every world concept spoonfed to them? That's why the Marvel movies all flopped so terribly!
Funny thing is it waste time explaining unnecessary stuff like powers which who cares the monk characters can just be kung fu magic and special forces and criminals just have tech no need this tattoo bullshit

But it doesn't bother focusing on the important parts like the tournament and outworld just weak exposition and doesn't sell how serious it is
It doesn't explain shang tsung
Why kabal is working for him if he's an earth guy
Or why sub zero is immortal

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Man I wish this were based on MK9 really. Making the story centered around Raiden "I can't stop fucking things up" The thundergod would be just the best.
I recently watched all of MK9 as a movie on Youtube and had a better time than I did with this movie.

The fight scenes were good, even great. The story was trash in this movie, and I'm usually an apologist looking for some gold in everything. The constant swearing and lowest common denominator humor were so cheesy it was bad. Not like good movie cheese - the games have that.

This movie was the Devil may Cry to the real Devil May Cry series

El Bombastico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently watched all of MK9 as a movie on Youtube and had a better time than I did with this movie.

The fight scenes were good, even great. The story was trash in this movie, and I'm usually an apologist looking for some gold in everything. The constant swearing and lowest common denominator humor were so cheesy it was bad. Not like good movie cheese - the games have that.

This movie was the Devil may Cry to the real Devil May Cry series

You mean DmC? Its amazing how dated and eye-rolling that game is now with its try-hard attempts to be "edgy."

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I remember some director saying he is surprised any movie turns out ok since its like a thousand decisions every day that has to be made and almost all of them have to be good decisions and just a few bad calls will make a bad movie.

You can clearly see that here, while there isn't one single thing you can point to at fault just an unending series of small, minor bad decisions (Cole as main character, arcana, overly complicated Scorpion family history, unmotivated Raiden, on and on) turns a simple plot into a bland movie. I didn't mind too much the movie while I watched it, but the more time you spend thinking about it the more you realize how much opportunity they wasted away.

I am really curious though if they will make a sequel, I don't even know how they would decide if it earned one or not. Not a simple calculation of box office receipts with HBO Max.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
It was... Fine? Pretty much all the glue was exposition to get to the fights, which were good. Kano stole the show. Last fatality kinda missed, and should have been ripped right from the game: burn SZ to a skeleton where he stood! Soundtrack was a huge miss and forgettable.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Having the entire story be about learning special moves is too cute by a half. Like some producer was all coked up having the concept of a fighting game explained to him, and was like, " the players have to learn the moves? What if the characters went on the same journey?"

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this last night and I hate how they shoved Cole down our throats the entire film. It was 2 hours of trying to get Cole "over" and Goro doing the J.O.B to a newb was an awful idea.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Movie is bad. How hard is it to pay martial artists to plan the fight scenes and let them do the heavy lifting? Add some generic reason for a life or death tournament. Let the action sell it.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Having him third wheel the Sun-Zero vs Scorpion fight was worse.
First time browsing the thread since I saw the movie and it seems like most ITT felt the same way about Cole. I was rolling my eyes the entire time when he was being cast as the main babyface. I really wish they just followed the tournament from MK1.

Kano and Kabal really stole the show here. Everyone else was pretty cookie cutter, even Sonya felt a bit bland.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
The movie started off so strong a took a huge nosedive for me. It rushed through so much of the plot to make time for the training sequences (not to mention the fan service). With a cast this size plus so much needing to be explained and established, it seems this would have worked better as a TV show. Shit even more so coming off of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

It's a fun idea for a franchise even if this movie misses the mark for me. I hope they are able to build on it with the sequel when they hopefully don't try to cram so much shit into two hours.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Unfortunately, this film completely missed the mark for me. That said...

pros:
-Scorpion. Especially the intro. Sanada continues to be fantastic in everything. I more or less enjoyed his interactions with Bi-Han/Sub Zero.
-Kano. Some good lines ("none of that harry potter shit" got a chuckle out of me). His death was kinda meh, though.
-Kung Lao. The only "modern" hero I liked. Best fatality. Shame they killed him off immediately after.

cons:
-Just about everyone else. Cole sucked. Zero redeeming qualities. Hated this take on Raiden and Liu Kang. Sonya and Jax were just kinda there. Goro done dirty. WTF Reptile. The rest of the Outworld cronies were garbage aside from Kabal (who was just ok).

The tone and pacing were all over the place. Dialogue was mostly weak. Soundtrack was forgettable. Someone earlier mentioned they planned on 3 or 4 more movies before getting to the actual tournament???

tenor.gif

Overall, I enjoyed MK95 much much more. At least it was pure camp and embraced it.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
There's so much I liked about this while it still being dumb and bad, but then there's a ton of stuff I just absolutely hated. The main character is just bad and pointless and has a complete zero presence on the screen. The last half hour it was like they suddenly realized they couldn't get a longer run time or budget so just had to suddenly start everyone fighting. The first half of the movie is honestly good for what it is, but with it being the main good aspect of the movie it makes the movie as a whole feel more like a setup or a prelude than anything.

-Kano was great.
-Kabal visually was great, but the voice choice was absolutely terrible. I get they were trying to go for a similar tone to Kano, but it didn't match the characters presence on screen at all.
-Sonya just being a fan girl and getting to get her revenge just felt dumb, but honestly think it could have just been fine with a better actress.
-Why is there a literal statue of Goro in the Outerworld, but yet he's just thrown out as kind of an underling and used as an awakening? What?!
-Most other characters I thought were meh to bad, but could honestly be fine if it had better lead roles and a lead character that held any kind of screen presence. The cheesiness and bad acting would have completely been in line with the movie. But they're relied on too heavily when our lead actor might as well be a cardboard standee.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they drop that arcana idea entirely and just pretend that shit never happened.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The Arcana on it's own is perfectly fine. It's the hilarious handling of it that just seems hilarious. "You have to search deep within your soul to find it." ....or get mad. Or have to save someones life, in which case it makes metal arms somehow expand and grow.

I feel like the idea of finding your specialty or power is a fine idea of how to make these mortals go up against these crazy people, it just seemed handled so rushed and horribly.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Opinions and all that, but the arcana was one of the few meta changes I liked - it's a decent way to explain why Kombatants from Earthrealm have super human abilities.

I wouldn't mind it if they used it to explain Liu Kang and Kung Lao's powers, but extending it to the tech users (Sonya, Jax, Kano) was a move that I am not fond of lol

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
If this is the start of the MKU, im not a fan.

Also stop switching between multiple fights at once. That makes it hard to keep track of whats going and breaks the flow of the fights on screen.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
The crazy thing is the actor who played Kung Lao (and possibly the actor for Liu Kang can't remember) were once part of Jackie Chan's stunt team. Whatever input they gave must have went ignored.

Oct 27, 2017
This was basically MK, CW-style. If this were a series, I'd be ok with this as a pilot. I have thoughts on what they could do and my appreciation for this as a film depends on if they follow through.

I want
a human disguised reptile entering the tournament, getting revenge for his fallen brethen, for instance.

Oct 30, 2017
Opinions and all that, but the arcana was one of the few meta changes I liked - it's a decent way to explain why Kombatants from Earthrealm have super human abilities.
Except the kombatants from Earthrealm don't need superhuman abilities.
They're all highly trained martial artists. And the special abilities that Jax, Sonya, and Kano have are all given to them by technology, which is an explanation in itself.

At the end of the day it's just there to explain why Liu Kang can shoot fire from his hand, which nobody needed to see and already had a perfect solution in the OG movie.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
They're all highly trained martial artists. And the special abilities that Jax, Sonya, and Kano have are all given to them by technology, which is an explanation in itself.

At the end of the day it's just there to explain why Liu Kang can shoot fire from his hand, which nobody needed to see and already had a perfect solution in the OG movie.

I admit that I thought it would be the perfect way to explain how a movie star like Johnny Cage could hurl green flame and use the shadow kick, but of course Cage is only teased in the film. Also: wasn't Sonya's rings being tech-based a later retcon? I don't recall her having gauntlets in the early games.

And yeah, I'm not giving props for implementation, either (although the bit with Kano was funny). It just worked well enough for me when a lot of other stuff didn't.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I admit that I thought it would be the perfect way to explain how a movie star like Johnny Cage could hurl green flame and use the shadow kick, but of course Cage is only teased in the film. Also: wasn't Sonya's rings being tech-based a later retcon? I don't recall her having gauntlets in the early games.

And yeah, I'm not giving props for implementation, either (although the bit with Kano was funny). It just worked well enough for me when a lot of other stuff didn't.
For Cage, they could go with how they handled the green glow in MKX. Despite it being used in gameplay, the story makes it clear that the green glow and associated abilities are rare occurrences in canon, and Cage didn't even realize he had the abilities until he took a killing blast from Shinnok and survived it via his green magic. I think it was explained via mystical heritage, eventually.

I do not understand how someone thought all these special abilities needed to be explained in a post-Marvel world. Superhero movie weirdness has shown that you can throw crazy shit in with minimal explanation as long as you make the characters and story compelling and fun.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
For Cage, they could go with how they handled the green glow in MKX. Despite it being used in gameplay, the story makes it clear that the green glow and associated abilities are rare occurrences in canon, and Cage didn't even realize he had the abilities until he took a killing blast from Shinnok and survived it via his green magic. I think it was explained via mystical heritage, eventually.

I do not understand how someone thought all these special abilities needed to be explained in a post-Marvel world. Superhero movie weirdness has shown that you can throw crazy shit in with minimal explanation as long as you make the characters and story compelling and fun.
Cage Mk9 ending explained that Cage is descended from Warriors given by the gods
Which is good handwave explanation and no one is going care why he can shadow kick when you can just he has powers

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I feel like a lot of you guys are the type to go into a Fast & Furious movie expecting something better than a F&F movie. When people say "It's MK, what did you expect?", it is not the equivalent of saying "It's a video game movie, what did you expect?". It just means that MK (as a video game series and entertainment media series) has never been high art, nor has it ever tried to be. As far as I'm concerned, this movie represents the same basic quality of storytelling and dialog as in the games, nothing more and nothing less. If the script was never turned into a movie and instead found its way into a future MK game, I sincerely doubt anyone would have noticed any change in quality.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Also: wasn't Sonya's rings being tech-based a later retcon? I don't recall her having gauntlets in the early games.

Pretty much. It's been made clear they're technology in the modern games but in the old games it was never explained one way or another. There's also weird stuff like Jax used to be able to send out magical waves of energy and then when he got metal arms it switched to technology.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I feel like a lot of you guys are the type to go into a Fast & Furious movie expecting something better than a F&F movie. When people say "It's MK, what did you expect?", it is not the equivalent of saying "It's a video game movie, what did you expect?". It just means that MK (as a video game series and entertainment media series) has never been high art, nor has it ever tried to be. As far as I'm concerned, this movie represents the same basic quality of storytelling and dialog as in the games, nothing more and nothing less. If the script was never turned into a movie and instead found its way into a future MK game, I sincerely doubt anyone would have noticed any change in quality.
There's dumb fun, and there's boring shoddy filmmaking. This MK sucking has nothing to do with expecting high art or it being a video game movie and everything to do with being a bland dull movie that has endless exposition instead of plot or fun characters and then has terrible fights so even the action can't act as a counterbalance

And no, the games actually have charismatic characters so there's already a gap in quality right there

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
MK has a lot of lore, characters, story behind it that could make for a perfectly fine blockbuster. There's a reason it's the most popular fighting game brand out there. It's silly, but it's clear something there resonates with a lot of people

Will an MK story ever be an Oscar contender? Probably not. Is there any reason that an MK film specifically has to be badly paced and poorly told? No.

I like a lot of what the movie brings. I want to see more from this cast and this team. But there are serious story issues with the film that have little-to-nothing to do with Mortal Kombat as a property.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I feel like a lot of you guys are the type to go into a Fast & Furious movie expecting something better than a F&F movie.
Honestly, I'm so tired of this take. No one expected high art from this movie. Competent filmmaking isn't fucking hard. Every F&F movie is an enjoyable dumb romp, competently made and worth viewing again. This movie was boring, had lackluster fights, and god awful writing. The editing was a mess, the sets were terrible. It felt like a fan film, but it was made by fucking Warner Brothers.

For comparison, Godzilla vs Kong is a perfect masterpiece compared to this movie. An actually enjoyable dumb romp from Warner Brothers

Keekon

Mar 30, 2019
Was expecting cheese and gore, got cheese and gore. Some good fights, Kano was great. Better than the previous live action films for sure, subzero and scorpion fights were good. Kung Lao's fatality was awesome.

Cole was naff, goro fight was bad. Raider was a lot of wtf amd the plot was nonsense but overall enjoyed it and would love a sequel.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Funny thing is it waste time explaining unnecessary stuff like powers which who cares the monk characters can just be kung fu magic and special forces and criminals just have tech no need this tattoo bullshit

But it doesn't bother focusing on the important parts like the tournament and outworld just weak exposition and doesn't sell how serious it is
It doesn't explain shang tsung
Why kabal is working for him if he's an earth guy
Or why sub zero is immortal
Yep, exactly. It gets distracted explaining so many unimportant things.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread makes me wonder what martial arts films people watch if they found the fight scenes good. Even the "better" ones (Scorpion vs Sub and Jax vs Sub) were plagued with constant cuts. The camerawork being zoomed in way too close to the upper body didn't help either.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first 40 minutes of the film (up to Raiden's Temple) are legit solid. The fight scenes are decent, I'm liking the characters, and sending in assassins to pick off Earthrealm warriors is an interesting idea. The film seems to have a vision at this point. 8/10

The next 30 minutes (Up to to Shang Tsung's assault) is where the film goes to shit. Liu Kang says it's his job to find the warriors? Uhh my dude, you have found precisely 1 person. Something's not quite adding up here. As for the training, what surprises me is how insubstantial it is. Cole has 4 training sessions and doesn't unlock his Arcana, Kano gets his at dinner, Jax is too depressed to train and Sonya is barred from training at all. 30 minutes spent on this!! 1/10

The next 10 minutes (up to the Void) are okay. Since Shang Tsung sees the sorry state Earthrealm's champions are in, his plan doesn't makes sense. But whatever, at least there's fighting, right? Well...I wouldn't call these fight scenes as much as it is a bunch of poor fight clips glued together. It just doesn't excite the senses like honest to goodness fight scene. And Cole's powers are lame. 4/10

The next 10 minutes (up to the finale) are also okay. Rather bizarrely, it's somewhat of a repeat of the last 10 minutes but in different locations. Putting aside the logical problems introduced by Raiden teleporting people everywhere...this simply happens way too soon after the previous battle. Cole says fighting Kabal is "personal" for Liu Kang...uhh, what. Because you fought him for 5 seconds 10 minutes ago? I'm thinking Kabal killed Kung Lao in a previous version of the film. I enjoyed Kano vs. Sonya because at least it wasn't a few seconds of clips. 5/10

The last 10 minutes are good because it's Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero. But I can't help but think that Scorpion and Sub-Zero (and Quan Chi) deserve their own focus rather than bookend this movie, and everyone else in this movie deserved that time dedicated to Scopion and Sub-Zero to be more fleshed out. 7/10

Overall the movie is fine but the 30 minutes of "training" really tank it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Having the entire story be about learning special moves is too cute by a half. Like some producer was all coked up having the concept of a fighting game explained to him, and was like, " the players have to learn the moves? What if the characters went on the same journey?"
Lol, totally. This movie's writing has a hackish quality, like someone saw the surface appeal of the games and decided to apply the Hollywood bullshit formula of aping some of the features of good writing without doing any of the work to develop a worthwhile story and characters.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Would be cool if in the first minute of the sequel they kill off Cole. Character did nothing for me.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Better yet, they don't even mention him in the sequel.

I feel bad cause I don't want this to turn into a hate campaign against the actor himself which fans always do. Star Wars, for example.

But good lord. Please get rid of the black hole known as Cole Young. Straight up sucking the soul from the movie. *kabal voice*

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The first 40 minutes of the film (up to Raiden's Temple) are legit solid. The fight scenes are decent, I'm liking the characters, and sending in assassins to pick off Earthrealm warriors is an interesting idea. The film seems to have a vision at this point. 8/10

The next 30 minutes (Up to to Shang Tsung's assault) is where the film goes to shit. Liu Kang says it's his job to find the warriors? Uhh my dude, you have found precisely 1 person. Something's not quite adding up here. As for the training, what surprises me is how insubstantial it is. Cole has 4 training sessions and doesn't unlock his Arcana, Kano gets his at dinner, Jax is too depressed to train and Sonya is barred from training at all. 30 minutes spent on this!! 1/10

The next 10 minutes (up to the Void) are okay. Since Shang Tsung sees the sorry state Earthrealm's champions are in, his plan doesn't makes sense. But whatever, at least there's fighting, right? Well...I wouldn't call these fight scenes as much as it is a bunch of poor fight clips glued together. It just doesn't excite the senses like honest to goodness fight scene. And Cole's powers are lame. 4/10

The next 10 minutes (up to the finale) are also okay. Rather bizarrely, it's somewhat of a repeat of the last 10 minutes but in different locations. Putting aside the logical problems introduced by Raiden teleporting people everywhere...this simply happens way too soon after the previous battle. Cole says fighting Kabal is "personal" for Liu Kang...uhh, what. Because you fought him for 5 seconds 10 minutes ago? I'm thinking Kabal killed Kung Lao in a previous version of the film. I enjoyed Kano vs. Sonya because at least it wasn't a few seconds of clips. 5/10

The last 10 minutes are good because it's Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero. But I can't help but think that Scorpion and Sub-Zero (and Quan Chi) deserve their own focus rather than bookend this movie, and everyone else in this movie deserved that time dedicated to Scopion and Sub-Zero to be more fleshed out. 7/10

Overall the movie is fine but the 30 minutes of "training" really tank it.
Good breakdown. The movie's all over the place, with flashes of competence that make the dumb stuff stand out.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching it. It was so lame.
Dreadful exposition, the "AH AH HE SAID IT" lines were cringe, the only good fight scenes involved Sub-Zero and Scorption (the rest were so poorly shot), Cole was so pointless, everyone but Kano was boring, and it did the Dark Universe sin of trying to set shit up instead of letting it stand on its own.
And why was Raiden so lame?!

At least it's better than Annhilation. That's not saying much.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
If Cole had become Scorpion, I'd be happy. What actually happened doesn't make much sense. Still, movie was exactly what I expected. Gimme dat sequel.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I feel bad cause I don't want this to turn into a hate campaign against the actor himself which fans always do. Star Wars, for example.

But good lord. Please get rid of the black hole known as Cole Young. Straight up sucking the soul from the movie. *kabal voice*
I would never hate an actor for doing his or her job. The character in the plot did nothing for me so I'd rather him be replaced with any other MK character.

Oct 30, 2017
If Cole had become Scorpion, I'd be happy. What actually happened doesn't make much sense. Still, movie was exactly what I expected. Gimme dat sequel.
This is exactly what they should have done. Cole should have just been the conduit for Hanzo to come back and the two of them together could combine and become Scorpion. Would have fit the plot and made Cole so much more interesting.

But no, we got bland armor skin guy instead.