The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
The next 30 minutes (Up to to Shang Tsung's assault) is where the film goes to shit. Liu Kang says it's his job to find the warriors? Uhh my dude, you have found precisely 1 person. Something's not quite adding up here.

It's funny when you realize Jax and Sonya found three warriors all by themselves.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Semi related. Whatever my feelings about this movie, it got me in the mood to revisit some Mortal Kombat games. Outside of fighting games, Shaolin Monks is still dope.

Revisiting Mythologies Sub Zero... the game never had a good reputation, but it is some bullshit I've forgotten about. Intentionally so? A level opens with the message "some pits hold secrets!" but most are instant death. This one wind boss end with him doing an instant kill move out of nowhere. At least it's all worth it to watch the great FMV cutscenes.

I'm not up on the original MK lore. This game has Bi-han framed for killing Scorpion's family. This 2021 movie has Bi-Han actually do it for Shang Tsung, and is a straight up bad guy. And I guess he becomes Noob Saibot? And the Sub Zero in most of the games is Bi-Han's younger bro, starting with MK2. And he's the same David Hasselhoff with a scar dude in MK3.

Hypothetically in a sequel you can get a "good" Sub Zero (as the bro) and Joe Taslim as Noob. But there's only ever one Scorpion. So I guess you have Hiroyuki return? Or do what everyone says and have Cole become the new Scorpion.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kano was BY FAR the highlight of the movie, he saved it from it being completely dull between the first and last fights

Consensual

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that's played through the stories of MK9 and 11 and never interacted with the franchise otherwise, I really enjoyed this. Especially the part where I didn't have to play a bunch of frustrating fighting game fights to get to the dumb characters and story. Cole's power was absurd, and he probably should've just became Scorpion. But then a bunch of the MK purist dorks likely would've gotten mad at the new character getting to become Scorpion. It was exactly the kind of dumb fun movie that MK ought to be. Give me five more.

If they don't cast The Miz as Johnny Cage in the next one, somebody fucked up. But I worry they'll just cast John Cena.

Why cast The Miz when Scott Adkins exists?
He's been shadow kicking people on film for ages.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Too famous and charismatic, you have to go through the acting void where they found Lewis Tan and the lady playing Sonya. You need someone that is totally dead inside.

Stephen Amill is absolutely not "too famous" for a Mortal Kombat movie lol. The dude made his bones on the CW (and has done almost nothing else). He's exactly the tier of actor for this movie.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Amell has made questionable comments on BLM and race overall so fine with him not being in this universe

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Semi related. Whatever my feelings about this movie, it got me in the mood to revisit some Mortal Kombat games. Outside of fighting games, Shaolin Monks is still dope.

Revisiting Mythologies Sub Zero... the game never had a good reputation, but it is some bullshit I've forgotten about. Intentionally so? A level opens with the message "some pits hold secrets!" but most are instant death. This one wind boss end with him doing an instant kill move out of nowhere. At least it's all worth it to watch the great FMV cutscenes.

I'm not up on the original MK lore. This game has Bi-han framed for killing Scorpion's family. This 2021 movie has Bi-Han actually do it for Shang Tsung, and is a straight up bad guy. And I guess he becomes Noob Saibot? And the Sub Zero in most of the games is Bi-Han's younger bro, starting with MK2. And he's the same David Hasselhoff with a scar dude in MK3.

Hypothetically in a sequel you can get a "good" Sub Zero (as the bro) and Joe Taslim as Noob. But there's only ever one Scorpion. So I guess you have Hiroyuki return? Or do what everyone says and have Cole become the new Scorpion.

The GI playthrough of Sub Zero is INCREDIBLE

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
This movie sucked. The Scorpion and Sub Zero fight was pretty cool but the rest was just terrible. I laughed out loud when Shang Tsung killed Kung Lao. Not because his death was funny, but because the subtitles literally said "screams in mandarin". I just finished watching it and can't believe I'm left feeling the original movie is better. Corny as hell, but still watchable. I had such high Hope's for this movie. I'm just gonna chalk this up as Warner Bros. fault and not the casts or directors, just make myself feel a little bit better.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This movie didn't just suck, it's basically a made for tv movie with a higher budget for a few choice scenes. I would have been mad if I had paid to see this in a movie theatre.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
The GI playthrough of Sub Zero is INCREDIBLE

They didn't even get the slide move. Where you have to press R1, a direction, and two face buttons to activate. Dan is right that on paper it sounds cool. A 2D brawler with Mortal Kombat gameplay.

I think that game is what always had me thinking Sub Zero was the good guy while Scorpion is the bad guy. I guess the lore, like this movie, has it the other way. Apparently that Scorpion cartoon on HBO Max is good. Might try that.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
But like why? It's never a good decision to make something in hopes for a sequel. Like I never thought I'd say this but this story sounds worse than the original 2 movies.

You're wrong in that. I miss the times where movies ended in cliff hangers, or were planned as trilogies or more (but were not series like Harry Potter, Twilight and stuff like that). However, the first movie should be good enough to want (and deserve) a sequel.

Mortal Kombat did nothing! Like there's nothing in the movie. The plot is empty, the characters are empty, there's no purpose, there's absolutely nothing! It's a completely dumb movie that shouldn't exist! and to make it even worse, they couldn't even stick to the source material story wise.

I remember hearing that this movie was inspired (or green lit) due to a fan project that was awesome. Well, this went the opposite end. It sucks that executives at WB are completely ruining the company, taking all franchises with them to hell.

The ONLY good thing about this movie, is that some actors and costumes did look the part, but sadly they were not even the shell of their actually characters they were playing.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the movie

My following take is made with me wearing the nostalgia glasses so if someone corrects me I would totally get it.

I feel that the first movie was much better because even though there was fight after fight with not that mucj in between, at least the movie let you breathe those combats and appreciate them more. In the modern movie it was fight after fight after fight and I really cant remember any spot from them besides the catchphrases referencing the games and the fatalities

Also I fail to see the point of Cole, if they wanted to make the movie with an american lead why not just use Johnny Cage, Sonya and Jax? They are cool characters and could perfectly lead the movie without introducing Original The Character

Also I really hated the concept of the arcanes, it felt like I was watching an anime episode where the characters had to learn their inner power, I dont even like how they removed the technological aspects of Jax Arms. And speaking of anime, most of the plot felt like it was taken from one, the only thing missing was them going into a Hot Springs.

Overall the movie was bad but not offensive so I would still watch a sequel

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I think that game is what always had me thinking Sub Zero was the good guy while Scorpion is the bad guy. I guess the lore, like this movie, has it the other way. Apparently that Scorpion cartoon on HBO Max is good. Might try that.

The story of the games play extremely fast and loose with the history of the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu. Originally, Scorpion was a wraith who wanted revenge against sub zero for the murder of him and his family. When Mythologies of Subzero was released, this was retconned to be that Quan Chi killed Scorpions clan as payment to the Lin Kuei for Subzero finding the map to Shinnok's amulet. Also, Subzero ends up killing Scorpion on the way to the map because, secretly, Quan Chi actually contacted both clans to retrieve the map as a hedge in the case one of the ninja's died before retrieving it. Scorpion then becomes a wraith, while in the NetherRealm, to seek revenge against Subzero for killing him. Later, this is expanded upon to show that Quan Chi actually brought Scoprion back form the NetherRealm as a wraith to get revenge on Subzero for defeating him, and Shinnok, during the amulet incident. Quan Chi motived Scorpion by lying to him and telling him that Subzero killed his family and clan.

With the above being said, Bi-han Subzero is an anti-hero at best, but I would really classify him as an amoral merc. His younger brother, Kuai Liang, is a good guy though, and carries the title of Subzero in every game beyond the first Mortal Kombat (excluding Mythologies: Subzero which is a prequel).

Anyway, my expectations for this movie were at rock bottom, so I was pleasantly surprised. It's not a good movie by any means, but I honestly think there are enough decent ideas salvageable for a legitimately good sequel. Cole Young is absolute trash though, the actor wasn't that good as the character either. You can tell this movie had a limited budget, but I definitely think they mostly did a good job with what they were given. I very much enjoyed most of the costume designs, and I liked most of the casting picks except for: Cole, Shan Tsung, and Raiden. I actually really liked Kabal's costume design as well.

Kano was the highlight of the movie, and was the most well written of everyone in the movie. Jax was perfectly cast. Sonya has never really been that interesting of a character, so I don't really mind her or the actress that plays her. Liu Kang wasn't terrible, but I think the issues with his character has more to do with the writing than the actor imo. Kong Lao was done pretty well and was my second favorite character overall. Him dieing in this movie was a bad decision imo, and carried little to no emotional weight other than frustrating actual MK fans lol.

Though I liked Goro visually, what they did with his character was absolutely STUPID and makes any imposing presence he could have in the next potential movie evaporate. You can't make him a jobber then turn around in the next movie and be like, "He is the undefeated champion of 9 tournaments and the killer of the great Kung Lao!" There's also the fact that the director and writer also forgot that Goro was half dragon. He should be treated as a near mythically imposing enemy, but I guess that's not happening now. Maybe they try to have Kintaro or Motaro fill that role?

The whole dragon tattoos and Arcana were completely unnecessary. They introduced more plot problems than helped explain anything. Also, if the expository plot dump needed to happen, why is Sonya the one giving it instead of Raiden?

Overall, I still think there were enough good ideas in the movie that a sequel, that actually takes place during the tournament can be good...if they have better writers...and possibly a better director.

By the way, I've been reading a lot that the inclusion of the Cole Young character was forced by the studio, and the director, and writers, didn't actually want him, or his family, in the movie. Is this true? If so, I feel better about a potential sequel if the director gets more leeway to remove Cole from the movie...and pretty much ignore the cannon, and plot armor, they created surrounding him.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
Besides the dumb plot with Cole I think the movie got quite a few things right. The casts are really good, the fight and effects also exceed my expectation. The long build-up to power is whatever but I like the arcana explanation for super power. I think a sequel without Cole can be really dope

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The story of the games play extremely fast and loose with the history of the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu. Originally, Scorpion was a wraith who wanted revenge against sub zero for the murder of him and his family. When Mythologies of Subzero was released, this was retconned to be that Quan Chi killed Scorpions clan as payment to the Lin Kuei for Subzero finding the map to Shinnok's amulet. Also, Subzero ends up killing Scorpion on the way to the map because, secretly, Quan Chi actually contacted both clans to retrieve the map as a hedge in the case one of the ninja's died before retrieving it. Scorpion then becomes a wraith, while in the NetherRealm, to seek revenge against Subzero for killing him. Later, this is expanded upon to show that Quan Chi actually brought Scoprion back form the NetherRealm as a wraith to get revenge on Subzero for defeating him, and Shinnok, during the amulet incident. Quan Chi motived Scorpion by lying to him and telling him that Subzero killed his family and clan.

With the above being said, Bi-han Subzero is an anti-hero at best, but I would really classify him as an amoral merc. His younger brother, Kuai Liang, is a good guy though, and carries the title of Subzero in every game beyond the first Mortal Kombat (excluding Mythologies: Subzero which is a prequel).

Anyway, my expectations for this movie were at rock bottom, so I was pleasantly surprised. It's not a good movie by any means, but I honestly think there are enough decent ideas salvageable for a legitimately good sequel. Cole Young is absolute trash though, the actor wasn't that good as the character either. You can tell this movie had a limited budget, but I definitely think they mostly did a good job with what they were given. I very much enjoyed most of the costume designs, and I liked most of the casting picks except for: Cole, Shan Tsung, and Raiden. I actually really liked Kabal's costume design as well.

Kano was the highlight of the movie, and was the most well written of everyone in the movie. Jax was perfectly cast. Sonya has never really been that interesting of a character, so I don't really mind her or the actress that plays her. Liu Kang wasn't terrible, but I think the issues with his character has more to do with the writing than the actor imo. Kong Lao was done pretty well and was my second favorite character overall. Him dieing in this movie was a bad decision imo, and carried little to no emotional weight other than frustrating actual MK fans lol.

Though I liked Goro visually, what they did with his character was absolutely STUPID and makes any imposing presence he could have in the next potential movie evaporate. You can't make him a jobber then turn around in the next movie and be like, "He is the undefeated champion of 9 tournaments and the killer of the great Kung Lao!" There's also the fact that the director and writer also forgot that Goro was half dragon. He should be treated as a near mythically imposing enemy, but I guess that's not happening now. Maybe they try to have Kintaro or Motaro fill that role?

The whole dragon tattoos and Arcana were completely unnecessary. They introduced more plot problems than helped explain anything. Also, if the expository plot dump needed to happen, why is Sonya the one giving it instead of Raiden?

Overall, I still think there were enough good ideas in the movie that a sequel, that actually takes place during the tournament can be good...if they have better writers...and possibly a better director.

By the way, I've been reading a lot that the inclusion of the Cole Young character was forced by the studio, and the director, and writers, didn't actually want him, or his family, in the movie. Is this true? If so, I feel better about a potential sequel if the director gets more leeway to remove Cole from the movie...and pretty much ignore the cannon, and plot armor, they created surrounding him.

You would think WB would have learned by now? After all the DC movie controversies, just let these teams do their thing!

Then again, Scorpions Revenge is a much better film, so I am not sure why the studio would interfere with the movie adaptation. The director had a uphill battle from the moment he was giving the budget for the film.

TBH, if I was in the director's chair, I wouldn't even show OutWorld. The budget was very notable. Shang Tsung looked like a budget 1 dollar tree sorcerer hanging out in his throne. I am surprised no one at WB didn't notice the poor lighting in many of the scenes. Some scenes were very poorly lighted making the movie look like cheap Broadway play in front of a fake stage. That's def not budget issues, but the experience of the crew involved.

I have so many gripes with the movie. Could have been so much better with proper direction, and PLEASE get yourself at least 1 decent writer. The lines were all too juveniles except Kano which turns out he improvised most of his lines.

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why they didn't just make Cole turn into scorpion? He has the visions of scorpion, has the lineage, sees the dagger and turns then turns into.....metal chest tonfa-man?!?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thought Cole would be Johnny Cage by the trailers. Didn't expect him to be a new character completely. The MK roster is already big, there was no need to bring in someone new just for hte film in my opinion.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that's played through the stories of MK9 and 11 and never interacted with the franchise otherwise, I really enjoyed this. Especially the part where I didn't have to play a bunch of frustrating fighting game fights to get to the dumb characters and story. Cole's power was absurd, and he probably should've just became Scorpion. But then a bunch of the MK purist dorks likely would've gotten mad at the new character getting to become Scorpion. It was exactly the kind of dumb fun movie that MK ought to be. Give me five more.

If they don't cast The Miz as Johnny Cage in the next one, somebody fucked up. But I worry they'll just cast John Cena.
Stop. I wouldn't watch the movie if Miz is Cage. This is disgusting.

Oh my god I kinda wanna see this happen now. His cocky, arrogant persona is perfect.

Cage is also very likable. Miz is not. His precense in the movie as Cage wouldn't be believable, and many would just want to see Cage get his ass kick or killed off.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
The movie worked as in making me want to play 9, X, 11 (never did, know some rough concepts of the stories).
Didn't realize 9 is delisted, sigh. Watched Brad of Giantbomb go through the first half, and youtubed the second.
Might get XL next.

As for the movie, did Ed Boon or Netherrealms say anything about it? Too bad it seemed to have completely alienated the creators.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The movie worked as in making me want to play 9, X, 11 (never did, know some rough concepts of the stories).
Didn't realize 9 is delisted, sigh. Watched Brad of Giantbomb go through the first half, and youtubed the second.
Might get XL next.

As for the movie, did Ed Boon or Netherrealms say anything about it? Too bad it seemed to have completely alienated the creators.

"Didnt you beat the champion, Eddy Tobias?"

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Cole's arcana should've been the ability to turn into Hiroyuki Sanada. Then whoops, oh darn, he's now stuck as Hiroyuki Sanada. Oh well, we'll just have to live with it.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Stephen Amill is absolutely not "too famous" for a Mortal Kombat movie lol. The dude made his bones on the CW (and has done almost nothing else). He's exactly the tier of actor for this movie.
Looking at his IMDB page he actually has found steady work for years before Arrow and Arrow just ended last year and has a show he worked in coming out this year.

His profile isn't very high but his work history is certainly more extensive than much older actors.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Also I fail to see the point of Cole, if they wanted to make the movie with an american lead why not just use Johnny Cage, Sonya and Jax? They are cool characters and could perfectly lead the movie without introducing Original The Character

Who knows what they were thinking with Cole. They had a bunch of ideas that conceptually were interesting but poorly fleshed out or poorly implemented.

For example with Cole it would've been possible to introduce a second Scorpion without the baggage of someone who was fueled by revenge while at the same time creating a storyline to rebuild the clan the Lin Kuei failed to exterminate.

If they had thought of using Cole in that manner then his interaction with his family present and past would've been more interesting.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Who knows what they were thinking with Cole. They had a bunch of ideas that conceptually were interesting but poorly fleshed out or poorly implemented.

For example with Cole it would've been possible to introduce a second Scorpion without the baggage of someone who was fueled by revenge while at the same time creating a storyline to rebuild the clan the Lin Kuei failed to exterminate.

If they had thought of using Cole in that manner then his interaction with his family present and past would've been more interesting.
I literally thought Cole was going to end up being scorpion until the real scorpion showed up. Like..howww

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I liked it. I liked how they said the things and did the things. There were some pacing issues near the end (like a video game lol). I didn't watch this expecting a good movie. Just watched for video game references and it delivered.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
how did they not have jax uppercut the hammer dude off the bridge onto the spikes.

how