• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most pleasurable installation

• GPU mmmm that sweet PCI-E click

Votes: 306 36.6%
  • CPU, lowering that socket lock = yus

Votes: 121 14.5%
  • RAM it’s like the GPU but 2-4X the clicks

Votes: 361 43.2%
  • Motherboard screwing in corner by corner

Votes: 19 2.3%
  • Power cables / CPU Coolers / Drives / Headers

Votes: 29 3.5%

• Total voters
Feb 6, 2019
Ram of course

giphy.gif

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I wish I had like 100 hours to learn how to build one correctly and with the right components for the most cost efficient build. I feel like the cpu might be fun to put in

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I feel most comfortable with RAM or a graphics card, lowering that arm to lock in a CPU always has me terrified because I feel like I'm going to break something.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
To those who say CPU: yall are crazy. That shit is annoying at best, nerve-wracking at worst. Socket locks and pins = scary. CPU coolers = obnoxious.

And those saying cables or motherboard - you are insane.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
None of it. Shit is too stressful for me. :/ Had to send mine to a local repair shop because it wasn't displaying video, but turning on.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn.

Installing RAM gives you the satisfying "click", but goddamnit installing AIOs by yourself can be a pain in the ass, and gives off it's own sense of satisfaction when it's done.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*screws in mobo*

That boy flexin'...

*mounts cpu and heatsink*

That boy flexin' again.

*pops in video card*

That boy keep flexin'.

*mounts ram*

That boy still flexin'.

*cabling*

Ahhhhhhhh.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
RAM, then GPU
The best feeling is proper cable management where everything is tied to perfection and super optimized, that's my wet dream

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
RAM is more physically satisfying than GPU by a bit, but there's so much psychological pleasure with the GPU insert that it edges out the RAM.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RAM. That click! I also like installing M.2 drives. I love that there are no cables. I dream of the day where all drives won't require sata data and power cables.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Puting it in and hearing that sound is just uaahhhhh...DAT ass
[embly]

*insert pic of RAM here*

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Considering I actually broke a CPU way back in the day (back before heat spreaders), definitely NOT CPU.
Probably RAM, but only inserting. Removing it always feels weirdly like I'm going to break one of the clips off or send the stick flying.
6 and 8 pin power cables and sliding removable drive bays into place also rank pretty high.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CPU might be okay if every heatsink / cooler I've ever dealt with to get to it was not a ginormous pain in the ass.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Popping the CPU into its slot is nice, but the cooler part is a fucking nightmare.

I voted RAM.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I used to despise CPU with how crummy it was to install CPU coolers. But now it is so freaking easy on current AM4 motherboards. I love putting the cpu in the socket and pressing the little lever down and then spreading all that thermal paste goodness, oh yeah baby so hot... For my current AIO cooler (kraken x62) I just sit on top of the CPU and the sexy thermal paste and use 4 thumb screws to apply pressure, easy peasy. Some of the older CPU cooler installs were a nightmare with backplates not staying on securely + older case didn't have easy access to back of the motherboard, praying that you can get everything to clamp down properly, etc..

I was always more scared about installing memory than CPU because back in the day they never came with heatspreaders and were prone to dying from static electricity.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
CPU is also the greatest because you first place this tiny ass piece of metal, and then a HUGE FUCKIN FAN on top of it. Aww yeah need to dissipate all that POWAH.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've built hundreds of machines and installing RAM and CPU still scares me. Also wtf at new ram slots only having one lever? Screwing in the motherboard though, that just feels good.

You should have added an option for masochists of installing the backplate into the case.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
CPU + a well designed heatsink or AIO are satisfying to install. My Corsair H115i was such a breeze to install.

Not sure why people are scared of the CPU install? The CPU has a direction indicator so you can't screw that up, and then you just pull the latch closed. One and done. Personally I prefer Intel since it has a metal cover for the CPU so I know it's latched in nice and tight. AMD's latching system doesn't give me the same amount of confidence because it's invisible.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Putting together a custom loop is the most enjoyable thing I've done w/r/t PC building. Something about the process was soothing. I could probably build those all day long lmao

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I don't enjoy any of it. I just think of all the things that theoretically could go wrong. I have had several such issues over my builds. Ram issues, motherboard and cpu overheating... Ugh, getting flashbacks of listening to error beeps.

Never had any gpu problems I guess. Not when installing at least

But still, thinking of doing a build again...

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Vidya card.

It's usually the biggest, most expensive, and fanciest looking part (it just screams "power!"), and perhaps the least frustrating to install major part.