• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via CoS:
Mumford and Sons banjoist Winston Marshall took to social media on Saturday to laud noted right-wing agitator Andy Ngo as a "brave man" and congratulate him on publishing a book about ANTIFA's "radical plan to destroy democracy."

"Finally had the time to read your important book," Marshall tweeted.

Ngo has emerged as a popular voice on the far right due to his reporting on left-wing groups. However, critics of Ngo say he often publishes selectively edited and misleading content in order to paint left-wing activists as violent while downplaying similar conduct on the right. Ngo has also been accused of associating himself with far-right groups such as the Proud Boys. And in a 2019 video, he was captured standing with members of white supremacist outfit Patriot Prayer as they planned an attack on ANTIFA members.

In his newly published book — the one praised by Marshall — Ngo downplays the murders of Heather Heyer by white supremacists in Charlottesville. He also refers to the Proud Boys a "pro-Trump fraternity," and describes a mid-November "Stop the Steal" rally in Washington as "peaceful and celebratory." On the other hand, Ngo likens left-wing activists as a "marauding gang" whose mission is to "destroy the nation-state, America in particular."
This isn't their first time flirting with the far-right and their allies either.

consequenceofsound.net

Mumford and Sons address photo with controversial psychologist Jordan Peterson

"I don't think that having a photograph with someone means you agree with everything they say."
jordan-peterson-mumford-and-sons-in-studio-response-statement1.png

Lock if old.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed their music. Sucks to see this shit though. Oh well fuck em.

This choreo with their song is what got me to like them.

Oct 25, 2017
Via CoS:

This isn't their first time flirting with the far-right and their allies either.

consequenceofsound.net

Mumford and Sons address photo with controversial psychologist Jordan Peterson

"I don't think that having a photograph with someone means you agree with everything they say."
jordan-peterson-mumford-and-sons-in-studio-response-statement1.png

Lock if old.
That article:

Peterson's views on things like white privilege, gender identity, and feminism — while well articulated and considered — have turned him into a contentious personality favored by the far right and opposed by the left (though he would identify himself as "a classic British liberal" and notably is no darling of the alt-right).
Uhh...no?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Their music was awful pretty much from day 1. The criticism everything sounds the same is often a weak one IMO but holy shit does every song they do sound the same.

It's funny though I would've never guessed these guys were right wingers. The indie music scene seems overwhelmingly left.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I could give two shits about Mumford and Co but I just remembered Mumford himself is married to Carrie Mulligan :(

Hopefully she's not like that too (she probably is)

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I could give two shits about Mumford and Co but I just remembered Mumford himself is married to Carrie Mulligan :(

Oh shit, she's like one of my top 5 celebrity crushes and a fantastic actress. Really hope she's not like that... but if she is I have no problem ceasing to watch her in things. Plenty of decent people to support.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

The banjo player is the one that seems to be a fan of these people. He was married Diana Agron at one point, and she definitely doesn't hold any of these views. She's very liberal.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The banjo player is the one that seems to be a fan of these people. He was married Diana Agron at one point, and she definitely doesn't hold any of these views. She's very liberal.
She also dumped him if Google is to be believed.

Mulligan is still by Mumfords side. Doesn't really give any actual insight at all but I'm so used to people being disappointing that I won't rule anything out.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
She also dumped him if Google is to be believed.

Mulligan is still by Mumfords side. Doesn't really give any actual insight at all but I'm so used to people being disappointing that I won't rule anything out.

Oh yeah, it's entirely possible that she's on board. Although i'd honestly be surprised if she were given the interviews and stuff she talked about during her media rounds for Promising Young Woman, as well as her fawning over Euphoria (a show conservatives despise) when she had a conversation with Zendaya.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, it's entirely possible that she's on board. Although i'd honestly be surprised if she were given the interviews and stuff she talked about during her media rounds for Promising Young Woman, as well as her fawning over Euphoria (a show conservatives despise) when she had a conversation with Zendaya.
Her role choices and some of her interviews do also give me some hope.

In a just world it's just the banjoist, and the band is no more because they couldn't stand the douche bag and quit Lol

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Mumford and Sons was a flash in the pan. They completely lost their following once they tried to move past their banjo gimmick.

And it wasn't even a good banjoing either.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I actually went to school with Winston for like 11 years, he used to be cool.

Although he did start to disappear up his own arse towards the end after he joined his first band. His family were wealthy to begin with so I guess he never really had to understand the real world. I've never seen a rich person with his hairstyle who wasn't an idiot sadly.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Sometimes it's hard to hear that a musician is an idiot, 'cause you still get something out of their music. This is not one of those times. I remember hearing Hopeless Wanderer, thinking "hey, this is pretty good" and then going on to listening to the full album, thinking "they really only know how to write one song, huh". One of the most overrated bands of the last 15 years, holy shit.

They have a banjoist, what do you expect
Pete Seeger would like to have a word with you, dude.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
He really fucked it up this time.

Also, that's disappointing. So many shit people in the world with shit views.

zektbach

Oct 28, 2017
"Read this book."
-- Tucker Carlson

Why is this so fucking funny? Not even an exclamation, just "read this book", like it could even just be in the past tense and it'd still be such a non-endorsement even coming from ol' Fucker

slider

Nov 10, 2020
"Read this book" - Tucker Carlson.

I wanna live somewhere where that'd be the kiss of death.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Huh, admittedly I enjoy(ed) some of their tracks but it's been a while too. This sucks. Fuck them.
"Read this book."
-- Tucker Carlson

Why is this so fucking funny? Not even an exclamation, just "read this book", like it could even just be in the past tense and it'd still be such a non-endorsement even coming from ol' Fucker
Haha, I'd love for it to be in past tense.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
hm i would be outraged but tbh i've never heard any of their music, so i don't care...its kinda weird tho that they're not even American but still alt-right pricks.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
They've always been shit rich kids who make music populist music by riffing off better, more "authentic" artists.

Also while I don't think it's totally fair the main reason I don't want Carey Mulligan to win the Oscar is her tolerance for Marcus Mumford suggests something: