Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Had to unfortunately go to one of their concerts one time. Brandi Carlile was the opening act and I was thinking... maybe this is going to be alright. Music was straight up derivative drivel.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
How utterly predictable. At the time they were coming up there were four-piece multi-instrumentalist folk bands coming out of the wazoo. I remember friends excitedly putting on events featuring bands that had once shared dressing rooms or cigarette breaks with one or more of these tossers.

To be a successful folk musician (or pretty much any genre) in the U.K. you have sure as hell gotta come from privilege. Your parents better be minted because you are not going to earn a fraction of a living travelling across Europe playing to half full clubs until you're lucky or good enough to break through. If that wasn't enough god forbid you might have to give up, retrain and find a well paid job to cover your living expenses without well-connected family and friends to sort you out because you are sure as fuck staring at square one in today's economy.

Of course he feels threatened by anything that would even slightly question their place in the world as anything but the product of privilege. Fascism is the security blanket for the privileged.

yeah that's the case here

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Mumford and Sons have always been shit and this is the least surprising revelation I've seen. My old boss called them Hitler Youth with Banjos (back in 2012/2013) and boy was he right.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
They had couple decent songs in the beginning and that was that. Still it's crap that people continue to hold these sorts of views :(.

Also, lol at that book talking about the "Left undermining democracy" when GOP legislatures recently introduced 250 or so bills to curtail voting. Yeah...

EQLibriM

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not talk to Mumford or his sons ever again.

Underrated post
donttalktome.jpg

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Love their music and their concerts are still the best I've ever gone to. By far.

Clearly Winston's political leanings are shit though. :(

Oct 25, 2017
yeah that's the case here

Fuuuuuck that's got me heated.

I'm sure it's possible to have success in the music industry without millionaire parents but I cannot stop finding rich kids who became massively successful playing folk music in the 2010s.

I knew so many people who tried to break into that kind of stuff in those years and so many of them had to give up eventually. I cannot help but have the impression that much of the modern music industry is centred around rich kids who had the opportunity to explore their interests and hobbies during their formative years whilst everyone else in their peer group eventually has to give up and get a real job because you can't afford rent in a big city by playing open mic nights and small gigs.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Their music has always been shit too. Soulless drivel.

I don't hate banjos though, my man Neil Young plays the banjo as do many other great artists who are not crypto-fascists.

Eagledare

Oct 30, 2017
They play well, but their lyrics are straight up dumb af. I'm talking grammatical issues and shit like they were written by an 8 y/o. Stands to reason they'd be right wing, I guess.

Apologizes for post. Taking time off from band. Yadda yadda yadda.
OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This is sad to hear, I like Little Lion Man as a song and it comes on the radio pretty often as well. Glad I never cared much for their other songs though

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
This is sad to hear, I like Little Lion Man as a song and it comes on the radio pretty often as well. Glad I never cared much for their other songs though
Yeah, that and Roll Away your Stone were songs I would hear on repeat a lot, reading this thread I need keep reminding myself that the latest work of a band is what defines them the most for commenters.
From the first album alone I would never guess so many people hated the band already.

It's a shame, but it's not like I was keeping up with them.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Nah you're thinking of Gary Glitter Rock n Roll #2, which is also by a mediocre racist white guy

Yeah about Gary...

(Kinda messed up that one of his songs ended up in Joker. At least he didn't get any royalties on the back of it.)
www.bbc.co.uk

Gary Glitter jailed for 16 years

Former pop star Gary Glitter is jailed for 16 years for sexually abusing three young girls between 1975 and 1980.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah about Gary...

(Kinda messed up that one of his songs ended up in Joker. At least he didn't get any royalties on the back of it.)
www.bbc.co.uk

Former pop star Gary Glitter is jailed for 16 years for sexually abusing three young girls between 1975 and 1980.

oooh I mistook racism for sexual predator. goddamnit, I knew he was shit but didn't know in what context

Oct 27, 2017
Bumped because there's an update on Winston Marshall. He has left the band and retracted his previous apology lol

EDIT: I'm not gonna link to his Medium post to give it clicks, but you can find it in the Pitchfork article.

https://pitchfork.com/news/winston-...ing-right-wing-book-regrets-previous-apology/

Rather predictably another viral mob came after me, this time for the sin of apologising. Then followed libellous articles calling me "right-wing" and such. Though there's nothing wrong with being conservative, when forced to politically label myself I flutter between "centrist", "liberal" or the more honest "bit this, bit that". Being labeled erroneously just goes to show how binary political discourse has become. I had criticised the "Left", so I must be the "Right", or so their logic goes.

I have spent much time reflecting, reading and listening. The truth is that my commenting on a book that documents the extreme Far-Left and their activities is in no way an endorsement of the equally repugnant Far-Right. The truth is that reporting on extremism at the great risk of endangering oneself is unquestionably brave. I also feel that my previous apology in a small way participates in the lie that such extremism does not exist, or worse, is a force for good.

There you have it folks, Andy Ngo is "unquestionably brave"!

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
... I like Mumford and Sons, but I also didn't know about Marshall until today. I'm glad he's out of the band, fuck that guy.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Their music blows, just anthems for a faux-folk urban lifestyle where you go to expensive places quaintly named after the businesses they displaced, like some restaurant called "Laundromat" or whatever that tries to look like it opened 70 years ago. A bunch of assholes

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
interesting updates and mumford and sons are still shit. every song of theirs sounds the freaking same.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
Their bassist tried to throw me out of a VIP area cos he didn't know who I was…. I didn't know who he was but you didn't see me trying to narc….

shit music and that dude for sure was lame.

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
His blog is honestly one of the most laughable things I've ever read. No one is forcing you to not talk about your political views, because I'm pretty sure no one has any need to listen to the political leanings of the banjo player from Mumford and sons. Equally, I don't think anyone who was a die hard Mumford and sons fan is suddenly going to stop listening to their music because one of them has conservative views.

He could've gone on, having his private political views and stayed in a wildly successful band that I'm sure he enjoyed playing music with globally. Now, maybe a quick tour of the alt-right podcasts (if he's lucky), and then a fade into obscurity.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Bumped because there's an update on Winston Marshall. He has left the band and retracted his previous apology lol

EDIT: I'm not gonna link to his Medium post to give it clicks, but you can find it in the Pitchfork article.

https://pitchfork.com/news/winston-...ing-right-wing-book-regrets-previous-apology/

There you have it folks, Andy Ngo is "unquestionably brave"!

lol. this dude is such a lame-o.
"the great risk of endangering oneself" to what? Twitter posts about how much of a dumbass they are?

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah about Gary...

www.bbc.co.uk

I know this is an old post now but I only just saw it with the thread bump but I was actually surprised they still play his music in American sports arenas even now.......I know Americans may not know about his past etc but as someone who was visiting this year and went to an nba game I was actually surprised and said to my wife how weird it was that no one seemed to have any idea how they are signing along to a child abusing asshole.