• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Played the first fight on "normal" and so far absolutely love it. Graphic style plus music is pretty good. Performance is a bit choppy on the X like it's running with the typical 31fps problem so it has constant micro stutters but besides that pretty good looking.

Should I restart on the middle difficulty, "hard" (or even extrem since the game says it's the recommended difficulty??) I don't want it to be too easy. What do you guys say?

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Played the first fight on "normal" and so far absolutely love it. Graphic style plus music is pretty good. Performance is a bit choppy on the X like it's running with the typical 31fps problem so it has constant micro stutters but besides that pretty good looking.

Should I restart on the middle difficulty, "hard"? I don't want it to be too easy. What do you guys say?

Continue at least till the "Fallen Bird" map and see if the battles there are easy/tough for you. Then decide.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Are we sure they don't just mean no graphical upgrade on X over the Pro version, resolution aside? Would be a bit weird otherwise. I realise the tweet was replying in terms of X vs base XBO but even so, could just be a bit of confusion.

Yeah, I think that's just what they mean. I don't know how the Pro version looks but the X version is pretty f'n nice looking and incredibly crisp.

1080p super sampling screenshots:

eUo0sPi.png

Bj04fGm.png

qBCekUx.png

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure they don't just mean no graphical upgrade on X over the Pro version, resolution aside? Would be a bit weird otherwise. I realise the tweet was replying in terms of X vs base XBO but even so, could just be a bit of confusion.
Pretty sure, yes.

I watched a walkthrough of the first level on YouTube. One on the X and one on the Pro. The pro version seemed to have more foliage. (One of that standouts to my eyes watching side by side. )

There's also a tweet out there from the Dev stating the Pro version has atmospheric fog, certain better lighting, etc.

I'm playing on my X and by no means does it look bad. It looks great, but if there are missing graphical effects, I would welcome them!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ok, what the flying fuck?

My Xbox One X shut off with an overheating error while opening a loot chest.

Is this Fallout 76? Cause that was a wildspread error there whenever you tried to level up.

Edit:

Here is a video, I just can't open it without crashing the whole console, no matter how often I try it:

(That sound in the background is my washing machine by the way)

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Hog rush is your friend. It makes a lot of fights trivial as you can pretty much take down enemies one by one and they can't even do anything about it. All you have to do is make sure you don't knock out an enemy too close to another.

Also when it comes to robots, you can use the disabling skill as well as emp silently without alerting anyone so pretty much the same as hog rush. But for the disabling skill you need to use it with a silent weapon otherwise it will alert everyone else. While the skill says disable enemy for 1 turn, it actually means 1 enemy turn...you actually get to make 2 turns after you disable them.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Ok, what the flying fuck?

My Xbox One X shut off with an overheating error while opening a loot chest.

Is this Fallout 76? Cause that was a wildspread error there whenever you tried to level up.

Edit:

Here is a video, I just can't open it without crashing the whole console, no matter how often I try it:

(That sound in the background is my washing machine by the way)

Wow that sucks...did you try to clear your network settings,specifically the alternate Mac Address...? after about a week,I have to do this otherwise Netflix and most app give me an error...go the your settings,networks settings,advanced,alternate Mac Adress and clear it,you have to restart the console.Not saying its going to work and they certainly need to fix this but worth a try.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Wow that sucks...did you try to clear your network settings,specifically the alternate Mac Address...? after about a week,I have to do this otherwise Netflix and most app give me an error...go the your settings,networks settings,advanced,alternate Mac Adress and clear it,you have to restart the console.Not saying its going to work and they certainly need to fix this but worth a try.

If I get it again I maybe try it, finally could get the item with having the Xbox guide open while looking into the chest. Weird solution but it worked here.

But with looking at Reddit, I'm not the only one with this problem, so just like in Fallout, it seems to be a general problem.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Levels don't really mean a lot directly, it's all about damage output (upgrade weapons) vs HP.

Weapon parts are extremely valuable. Break down shit weapons (like the two non-silenced starter pistols). Move weapon mods around so it makes sense (i.e +crit% mods on weapons that does highest crit damage, etc).

Don't fear high level zones. Go in and scout, try to extract all the resources you can without engaging enemies. Some times you can even get at great items without killing anyone.

You should have at least some of knee shot, tree hugger and hog rush, which all can take one or more enemies out of the fight for atleast one round. Lock them down, set them on fire, fall back, flank, don't take sub-75% shots.

If you're playing on normal and have access to three silenced weapons upgraded one step (3*30 weapon parts), an ambush should be able to do at least 30 HP of damage before the enemy even gets one action. (6+6+hog rush+6+6+6, roughly speaking. Maybe some 5s in there, I'm going by memory). If you know you have the damage and you've isolated an enemy, you don't have to care about cover. You move in for 100% chance shots!

If you're on a harder difficulty, know that kills and 'XP' are squad-level, so it doesn't matter who gets kills for the purpose of reseting cooldowns and gaining skill points.

Also, high cover (75%) is much more valuable than low cover (25%).

Yeah, thanks. Right after posting it I went back to the Ark (I actually JUST found out you can fast travel, I had previously been just running through each map) - bought some stuff, came back to the map and said fuck it. I've been sneaking around every map so far, on the edges mostly trying to take out stragglers. Did the same here and it was CAKE.

Good looks for the reply.

Game is sick.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 patch is up.

Changelog:
  • Localization fixes.
  • Game balance changes.
  • Fixes to enemy respawns.
  • Fixed music stopping during battle.
  • Fixed collision issues.
  • Fixed some AI issues related to mind control.
  • Fixed issues related to cover.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Pleasantly surprised with how much I'm liking it so far. I'll write more when I've had more time to play, but I really love how focused it is and how well it rewards planning/scouting.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Thinking of getting the game, but would like a few non-spoiler answers to some questions first by those who have beat the game.

I like challenges, and am familiar with games like XCON and Dragon Age: Origin in this genre, so turn based tactical squad fighting isn't new to me. However, I want to approach a game like this differently, if possible. Would I be able to have a decent chance of beating Mutant Year Zero playing through it with the Iron Man (single life) option turned on the easiest difficulty?

If I do it this way, the idea is not to get through sections of the campaign because I know what to do after loading multiple saves upon death. But if that's not realistic, then I won't consider playing it that way the first time through.

I guess my main concern is this: are there instances of character/party wipe insta-death challenges that will catch even the prepared and careful gamer off guard? Again, this would be on the easiest difficulty. Also, if a party member died while I played it this way (Iron Man on easy), would it still be possible to complete the game with the remaining party members? Even if it gets down to one party member left?

Thanks in advanced for any non-spoiler feedback. BTW, I see the PS4 version (my system) got a patch today. I'd likely wait a bit longer to get the game anyway in case more balance adjustments are made to minimize the chance of losing the game to something unbalanced.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
You can scout out all areas quite easily before actually engaging the enemies. So you won't find any unexpected challenges when playing stealthy.
You get more than three team members and the unique abilities aren't that useful. So you should be okay with one or two permadeaths. You won't be able to finish the game with one party member left though. So always have enough medkits for tough fights, play carefully and don't trust probabilities below 100% and you should be good to go for it.

I'm close to finishing to game and till now there was one quite hard optional encounter you might want to know about. (Look for the "Lux" sidequests.)

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This game seems great, but the framerate on the One X is rough when running around and it crashed within my first hour of playing. I will anxiously await a patch, because the game seems great.

Anyone know how High Voltage was involved? When I saw their splash screen I audibly groaned. They're terrible. After the MK X PC debacle, I wouldn't trust them to screw in a light bulb.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely love how the game plays. The traditional mission-based system from XCOM is a bit tiring after a while and you don't really have a... world in XCOM. Just a series of maps. Here it's just cool to walk around, explore etc. And stealth is great!

Not to mention really cool setting. I had no idea such universe existed.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the game is a looker. There's a lovely snow map, and a one filled with mist/fog.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
Thank you Dancrane212 for the OT, awesome work. I know they say is 15 to 20hrs depending on difficulty and exploration; and yet, I see a game these days at 5GB and my first thought is, "That's nothing, how long is this game?"

Got it thru Gamepass, uploading. I really like the whole mutants idea. Looking forward to playing it.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
I downloaded this on Xbox One S from Game Pass and have played for a few hours now. Interesting game, I like the characters and the voice acting a lot and the environments look really cool. I started the game on hard because I wanted a proper challenge and so far it's definitely delivered on that part! Scarce medpacks, enemy medbots, necessary turns for reloading a weapon etc. all add up to the difficulty and I have had to reload a save quite a few times already. Stealth killing those Hunter types isn't always exactly easy either and I still have yet to learn the most effective ways to deal with tougher combat situations. The performance is okay, lots of tiny hiccups here and there but nothing that ruins the experience (for me at least). My main gripe with the game is that it seems to be way more linear than I thought and the skill trees don't seem very big, I wonder how long it'll take to go through the main levels. Overall I like it, it's like a charming, odd little mix of XCOM, Beyond Good & Evil, Oddworld and Stalker. So pretty unique I'd say!

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Those Mutation upgrade animations creep me out lol...loving this game,I spent 30 minutes after the cabin part just going back exploring all the area's to find loot,missed quite a few scraps and also missed 3 dogs.Still on hard but I am guessing my next proper fight will make me decide if I stick with it or go down to normal...going east for that 'hint'' I got at the Ark,next story quest is in a level 20 area anyway.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I enjoy the fuck out of this game so far. It's so fun cleaning every single room completely, has a unique world, characters and so far interesting story behind it and a really good X-Com like strategy system. And it's also really good looking. So much atmosphere.
If this is really as short as many people say than I definitely hope they make a franchise out of it. I can't wait for the sequels and I'm not even done with it yet.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Sounds like this game needs a Digital Foundry analysis. It makes no sense that the 1X version is gimped when Microsoft went to the effort of making it a day one GP title.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to grind scrap to buy medkits? I've pretty much killed every enemy I can besides a large horde of guys sitting in front of the second satellite I guess they are, and two of my guys have 1 HP left and I have enough scrap for one medkit.

The hardest setting isn't just hard it's brutal. Idk how I progress from here. There badly needs to be a heal function of some type.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like this game needs a Digital Foundry analysis. It makes no sense that the 1X version is gimped when Microsoft went to the effort of making it a day one GP title.

It's a pretty small indie developer that has to be very conscious about ressources and likely concluded (be it from pre-order numbers or plain sales of PS4 compared to XB1) that more consumers would be better served by getting a better version on PS4 Pro than on XB1X if they have to decide for one pre-release - that's the most likely explanation.

Not every game will have X enhancements, especially if they come from small studios - on LinkedIn The Bearded Ladies Consulting has 15 employees listed. If it's successful enough on the platform and if they'll have enough manpower while developing the inevitable Switch port there could be a patch for X down the line. But it's quite a lot (and often even an impossible amount) of extra work for small teams who very likely already crunched to hell and back for months and months to even get their base version out the door.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
You can scout out all areas quite easily before actually engaging the enemies. So you won't find any unexpected challenges when playing stealthy.
You get more than three team members and the unique abilities aren't that useful. So you should be okay with one or two permadeaths. You won't be able to finish the game with one party member left though. So always have enough medkits for tough fights, play carefully and don't trust probabilities below 100% and you should be good to go for it.

I'm close to finishing to game and till now there was one quite hard optional encounter you might want to know about. (Look for the "Lux" sidequests.)
Your post was tremendously helpful. After another PS4 patch or so (besides the one released today), I'll pick the game up and play it on easy with perma-death turned on. I don't mind if I lose "fairly", to be honest. I would just hate to lose like you do in Valkyria Chronicles where some stages just wipe you out if you don't know what's coming. I literally quit that game because of it, even though I could've just restarted a save.

After I beat the game on easy (regardless of the number of tries), I'll jump into the hardest difficulty with perma-death turned off to compare.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
It's a pretty small indie developer that has to be very conscious about ressources and likely concluded (be it from pre-order numbers or plain sales of PS4 compared to XB1) that more consumers would be better served by getting a better version on PS4 Pro than on XB1X if they have to decide for one pre-release - that's the most likely explanation.

Not every game will have X enhancements, especially if they come from small studios - on LinkedIn The Bearded Ladies Consulting has 15 employees listed. If it's successful enough on the platform and if they'll have enough manpower while developing the inevitable Switch port there could be a patch for X down the line. But it's quite a lot (and often even an impossible amount) of extra work for small teams who very likely already crunched to hell and back for months and months to even get their base version out the door.
That's the reason i'm thinking about the x version without the improvements of the ps4 pro. They lose my money with that decision until they rectifier.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
This game is fucking hard, and I'm playing on normal.

In some areas there are a lot of enemies (A LOT) and I hate these goddamn medbots always reviving the dead enemies.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
Played for a couple hours so far; and it is a lot of fun to clear out every area of enemies or stealth around the area when there are red level enemies. The game is a looker. Playing on the X and it looks crisp and vibrant, beautiful Art style. I am also enjoying the banter between the characters, pretty fun.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Your post was tremendously helpful. After another PS4 patch or so (besides the one released today), I'll pick the game up and play it on easy with perma-death turned on. I don't mind if I lose "fairly", to be honest. I would just hate to lose like you do in Valkyria Chronicles where some stages just wipe you out if you don't know what's coming. I literally quit that game because of it, even though I could've just restarted a save.

After I beat the game on easy (regardless of the number of tries), I'll jump into the hardest difficulty with perma-death turned off to compare.
I feel this frustration so much. There's nothing worse than putting together all sorts of meticulous planning only for everything to be turned on its head by an arbitrary story event or random enemy ambush. The focus on stealth in Mutant Year Zero ensures that, provided you're thorough, you'll mostly know what you're getting into for each fight you chose to engage in. There's a little push and pull in learning how much you can get away with regarding the stealth, enemy types/abilities, and your own abilities/weapons, but even then, once you've learned that, the rules remain the same for the rest of the game. This is easily one of the most fair-minded SRPGs I've ever played.

Also love how the stealth system lets you use tanks the way they were meant to be incorporated. Love using Borman as the wrecker while the rest of my crew safely picks away at the distracted.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
I really dont like the way the arrow point directions,very confusing when you explore and turn the camera around...keep dying trying to go east towards the plane,in the area you meet Selma for the first time...guess I will bring it down to normal soon...I read they have balanced the difficulty with today's PS4 patch,I think I will wait for this patch on the XBox also now because this is way too hard,it will hurt the game in the long run.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not hard to not blunder into an encounter. The combat is hard but if you're wandering into enemies that are too high of level because you're going the wrong way, and not turning around, that's on you. The game is very generous in allowing you to engage on your own terms.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What's with the lack of posts? Is no one playing this? I just got past the title screen, seems good so far. Looks nice on the 1X but there seems to be a minor stuttering effect, doesn't feel completely smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.