• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
My Plan Going Forward to Better Myself
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Weirdly enough, she said that she wasn't mad at me when she recently replied. But she stood by her decision in that she wanted to just be friends, which I respected.

From here, I'm gonna focus on mending the bridge with my little brother in terms of our relationship as I better myself on all fronts (not sweating the small stuff, not having arguments escalate, sarcasm, not being an overpowering jerk at times, all of it). Maybe later down the road when I'm ready, I can put myself out there again. But I don't want to do that until I'm damn sure that I go back out there a better man.

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
but I want to be able to at least debate in a way to where I don't lose myself in the process
Golden rule, don't argue about things that are not concerning to your well being. What does it matter if fall starts one day or the other? "but actually-" NOBODY CARES. Your life will go on. You'll be fine. She didn't ask you to tell her the day. She probably started the topic because she was gonna share something else with you.

But your desire to be right for absolutely no reason, reward or benefit to anyone but YOURSELF and the three seconds long release of dopamine from Winning an argument was more important to you than whatever she was gonna say to you .

That's bad man. Really bad. It's a human being you're treating with. Not a game of Scribblenauts.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
But isn't existing dumb what got us in this mess? I know simply not arguing isn't a permanent solution, but I want to be able to at least debate in a way to where I don't lose myself in the process.

There's nothing to debate when someone shares their excitement about the onset of fall....

edit: This is what I was talking about earlier and maybe counseling can help, but you shouldn't be stifling your need to debate but your perspective that something should be debated to begin with. One leads to pent up anger and resentment and the other can hopefully lead to more positive outlooks and happiness.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how people think the OP did anything wrong unless there was something he omitted in the argument that hurt her. I mean she said something that was incorrect and the OP pointed that out, and it may have not been clear it was sarcasm. What's the problem with stopping misinformation? It actually kind of irritates me when people say doing that makes you an asshole.

First of all, what she said wasn't incorrect. There are two different, yet scientifically accepted dates for the beginning of fall. It depends on which field of study is being utilized, meteorology or astrology.

It was wrong of him to condescending question her acceptance of science, especially when he was, in fact wrong.

Now she ultimately told him that she was joking, but I wonder if his pressure didn't force her to back off in doubt, or if she did so to avoid further badgering. In any case, OP was in fact, misinformed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Golden rule, don't argue about things that are not concerning to your well being. What does it matter if fall starts one day or the other? "but actually-" NOBODY CARES. Your life will go on. You'll be fine. She didn't ask you to tell her the day. She probably started the topic because she was gonna share something else with you.

But your desire to be right for absolutely no reason, reward or benefit to anyone but YOURSELF and the three seconds long release of dopamine from Winning an argument was more important to you than whatever she was gonna say to her.

That's bad man. Really bad. It's a human being you're treating with. She has feelings man.
It was less about me winning & more about wanting to correct the misconception, which eventually went too far. But in general, you're right. I can't let that get to the point where I forget that I'm talking with another human being.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
From here, I'm gonna focus on mending the bridge with my little brother in terms of our relationship as I better myself on all fronts. Maybe later down the road when I'm ready, I can put myself out there again. But I don't want to do that until I'm damn sure that I go back out there a better man.
This is pretty great, and overall, you're already trying to take positive things from your thread. Best wishes to you.

synkling

Oct 25, 2017
Florida Man's Land
I've got you blocked in the one discord server we share so I can't see what you say ninety-five percent of the time, but this sounds par for the course.

To be fair, it's because you have this overwhelming, dominating personality that takes over entire conversations in both voice chat and text. A little advice I'd give is for you to work on your emotional intelligence. Learn whether something's worth arguing over, and learn when it's time to shut up. Especially the latter part.

All the best in improving yourself.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It was less about me winning & more about wanting to correct the misconception,
Nobody cares.

It's a relationship and you're supposed her boyfriend, not her teacher. You're supposed to listen to her, not judge her. You're supposed to make her feel better with herself, not worse (you compared her to TRUMP).

Come on son.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nobody cares.

It's a relationship and you're supposed her boyfriend, not her teacher. You're supposed to listen to her, not judge her. You're supposed to make her feel better with herself, not worse (you compared her to TRUMP).

Come on son.
Yeah, I know I fucked up there. You're right in that I can't correct everybody, otherwise I'd be their teacher (& a bad one at that).

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yeah, I know I fucked up there. You're right in that I can't correct everybody, otherwise I'd be their teacher (& a bad one at that).
Remember that Albert Camus got famous because he understood what the ancient philosophers didn't. That there was no point to finding the truth because there is no truth.

When you share yourself, you share your existence, the time you spend together. You're making someone else live their lives alongside yours. And we, humans, human as we are, care not about truth, but pleasure.

If you want someone to be with you, you gotta be a pleasure to be with to them.

That's all there is.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Remember that Albert Camus got famous because he understood what the ancient philosophers didn't. That there was no point to finding the truth because there is no truth.

When you share yourself, you share your existence, the time you spend together. You're making someone else live their lives alongside yours. And we, humans, human as we are, care not about truth, but pleasure.

If you want someone to be with you, you gotta be a pleasure to be with to them.

That's all there is.
That........actually makes sense. I never thought of it that way before, specifically with Camus' approach to truth. Thank you for bringing it to my attention (philosophy isn't my strong suit, seeing as I'm a Computer Science major).

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a bizarre reason to break up but my guess is that it's more of a 'straw that broke the camel's back' sort of thing.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is a bizarre reason to break up but my guess is that it's more of a 'straw that broke the camel's back' sort of thing.
Yeah, that's accurate. Going by how she's responding to me now, she's much more chill about the ordeal than I am, but I guess that comes from me realizing how much of an overbearing jerk I can be.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Damn this is one of the rare af threads where OP actually responds to people and moves forward.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Damn this is one of the rare af threads where OP actually responds to people and moves forward.
Because I want to come out the other end as a better person. The reason I made this thread was to be honest about what happened, reflect on what got to this point, & take input as to how I can accomplish my goal of improving myself.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's........actually makes sense. I never thought of it that way before, specifically with Camus' approach to truth. Thank you for bringing it to my attention (philosophy isn't my strong suit, seeing as I'm a Computer Science major).

Hiya, just graduated with a CS degree here. Believe me when I say the earlier these things happen, the earlier you conduct an introspection and realize how you engage with others, the better.

Take some time and space away from the current situation and focus, as you've already said, on family, and other friends. It will do wonders. I've done similarly with a recent breakup, and my college life feels like a lifetime away even though it's only been a few months.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's accurate. Going by how she's responding to me now, she's much more chill about the ordeal than I am, but I guess that comes from me realizing how much of an overbearing jerk I can be.
It's good you are being introspective about this, learn from it and improve for the future. Seems like she doesn't hate you or anything, she just thinks you aren't compatible based on this and similar behaviors. I'm honestly surprised because you don't come across as an overbearing, pedantic ass on here, but it's different when you are face to face with someone all the time and being obsessive about little things often. It could become really grating.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's good you are being introspective about this, learn from it and improve for the future. Seems like she doesn't hate you or anything, she just thinks you aren't compatible based on this and similar behaviors. I'm honestly surprised because you don't come across as an overbearing, pedantic ass on here, but it's different when you are face to face with someone all the time and being obsessive about little things often. It could become really grating.
Actually, thinking back, I find that it's worse over text than it is in person. The sole exception to that is my little brother, which I'm currently trying to rectify.

Jun 10, 2018
People have already said what I wanted to say OP so I'll just chime in to say I hope you come out a better person after this. The fact you're self-reflecting on not only this but past mistakes tells me you're on the right track.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, thinking back, I find that it's worse over text than it is in person. The sole exception to that is my little brother, which I'm currently trying to rectify.
Well, whatever it is, I think a good lesson to learn from this is to prioritize what really matters and let the little shit just pass you by because it's not important.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well, whatever it is, I think a good lesson to learn from this is to prioritize what really matters and let the little shit just pass you by because it's not important.
Thinking back to other instances of arguments with others, a good chunk of them did come from the little things (including this). So yeah, I need to not let things phase me like that.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking back to other instances of arguments with others, a good chunk of them did come from the little things (including this). So yeah, I need to not let things phase me like that.
Depending on your personality it can take time and practice, but it's a good skill to have for just dealing with people in general, not just romantic relationships.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Depending on your personality it can take time and practice, but it's a good skill to have for just dealing with people in general, not just romantic relationships.
Yeah, it's something I realized when thinking back to my argument with my little brother as well as other smaller instances.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, what she said wasn't incorrect. There are two different, yet scientifically accepted dates for the beginning of fall. It depends on which field of study is being utilized, meteorology or astrology.

It was wrong of him to condescending question her acceptance of science, especially when he was, in fact wrong.

Now she ultimately told him that she was joking, but I wonder if his pressure didn't force her to back off in doubt, or if she did so to avoid further badgering. In any case, OP was in fact, misinformed.
Fair enough, but I'm not seeing how it's "condescending" to say "no it's not actually that" when someone says something wrong. The girlfriend in this case was technically right however, but regardless I don't think being wrong about something like that is worth breaking up over.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Laying into someone for generalizing the beginning of fall as the start of the month that holds the equinox is not a smart move outside of like, debate club. Definitely gotta work on yourself.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Laying into someone for generalizing the beginning of fall as the start of the month that holds the equinox is not a smart move outside of like, debate club. Definitely gotta work on yourself.
It made me realize how my nature may have impacted my other relationships, which is hitting me just as hard (if not harder) than the break-up.

Still, I appreciate the criticism. It's good to get the viewpoints of others so I can get a better idea of how exactly to proceed.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
We've had other disagreements in the past, such as our stances on Chick-fil-A & whatnot. That's some of the stuff that built up.

She was pretty definitive that we were done, & (to my heartbreak) I respect her wishes.

OP this is the last thing that matters but I'm curious, what is your stance on Chik-fil-A?

It sounds like it was just the straw that broke the camels back. It's good that you're reflecting and you should continue to do that but I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Each new relationship is a learning experience, it can be heartbreaking but you're learning about yourself.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
OP this is the last thing that matters but I'm curious, what is your stance on Chik-fil-A?
I don't pay to eat there due to their blatant homophobia & transphobia, but she spoke of how even her gay best friend eats there. She isn't the first person I had this argument with, as I've butted heads with my mom as well as my older sister on the same topic (typically ending on "nobody cares but you"). Thinking back, I should have been a bit more calmer in stating my stance, as it eventually snowballed into this.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Relationships really are just practice before you get married in a way so don't be too hard on yourself.

You're supposed to learn from these things so you can better navigate the next one.

My second marriage is substantially, substantially better than my first partially because of a lot of learned lessons.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I don't pay to eat there due to their blatant homophobia & transphobia, but she spoke of how even her gay best friend eats there. She isn't the first person I had this argument with, as I've butted heads with my mom as well as my older sister on the same topic (typically ending on "nobody cares but you"). Thinking back, I should have been a bit more calmer in stating my stance, as it eventually snowballed into this.

I usually turn the other cheek on stuff like that myself but for what it's worth when it comes to dating I legit would consider someone who eats at chik-fil-a as incompatible, lmao.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Relationships really are just practice before you get married in a way so don't be too hard on yourself.

You're supposed to learn from these things so you can better navigate the next one.

My second marriage is substantially, substantially better than my first partially because of a lot of learned lessons.
I became the very thing I hate, of course I'm gonna be hard on myself. I'm trying to make sure that it never happens again.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
This reminds me of standup comedian Mike Birbiglia's My Girlfriend's Boyfriend. Specifically this passage.

At one point, I was like, "well, we should do this again. "We should go on another trip. And you could get a license or a passport." Jenny said, "that sounds great, "but I don't think I'd get a license or a passport 'cause they don't make me get one." And I was like, "yeah, but it's the law." You know. Jenny says, "yeah, I don't think I'll get one "'cause they don't make me get one, you know. That's how I feel." That's how Jenny argues things. Sometimes she'll just say, "that's how I feel." And I'll say, "that's not an argument." "Like, we're not even in an argument right now because you don't have an argument." And she'll say, "I just won that argument." And I'll say, "that's not even possible based on the definition of what an argument is." And she'll say, "I just won that argument," again. "That's how I feel."

You could see how this could be a little bit maddening, you know, uh… On our final day on the trip, we got into an argument about essentially nothing. She noticed there was a basketball court at our hotel, and she said, "we should play." And I was like, "yeah, but not, like, a game." And she said, "why?" And I said, "well, 'cause I'd win." And she said, "no, I think I would win." I go, "no. I know that I'd win, "and I know that what I'm supposed to say is that… "The guy says, 'I'll win,' the girl says, 'I'll win,' "and the guy lets her win, and then she likes him more. But I just don't have that in me." And Jenny goes, "you don't have to let me win. Let's go out and play." And so we went out and played basketball, and I just kicked her ass. I mean, it was just like… It was just like… 10 to 1, you know, 11 to 1. I mean, I was having a good day, but still, I was just destroying her. And at one point, she literally said, "I've never met someone who's so obsessed with the score." And I said, "the score is what makes it a game!"

So we're arguing this over lunch, and then, again, it comes up at dinner, and then we're still arguing about it at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning about essentially nothing. And she said, "I don't understand why you're so obsessed with being right." I go, "I'm not obsessed with it. I just am." I said, "why do you think you're right?" And she says, "that's how I feel." I said, "if you think I'm so wrong about everything, why are you even with me?" And Jenny says, "you can't choose who you love."

Anyway, might be something relatable. Seems like you've got a good handle on the situation. Wish you luck.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I usually turn the other cheek on stuff like that myself but for what it's worth when it comes to dating I legit would consider someone who eats at chik-fil-a as incompatible, lmao.
I'm not yielding to that belief, but rather better presenting my argument in a way where I don't clash with those close to me. As mentioned earlier, it can snowball into something worse, which is the last thing I want (especially after today).

Came here to say this. Best of luck with the future, life goes on.
Thank you, I just want to make sure that it's a future where I'm better than I am now as a person.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you broke up after 6 months over when fucking fall starts then it was never going to last.
Yeah...only reason it hit so hard was because you weren't really out of the honeymoon phase. That's like hitting a brick wall going 60 miles per hour because you haven't coasted to slow down yet.

At least you're trying to improve yourself

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
But Fall does start on Sept. 1st...

Spring = March, April, May
Summer = June, July, August
Fall = September, October, November
Winter = December, January, February

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It sounds like it was just the straw that broke the camels back. It's good that you're reflecting and you should continue to do that but I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Each new relationship is a learning experience, it can be heartbreaking but you're learning about yourself.
That's how she described it, actually (right down to the "don't be so hard on yourself" part). I get that each relationship is a learning experience, but the way this ended stung the most as it made me realize how I can be with others (including you guys). Not to mention that it was my first relationship in years.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
That's how she described it, actually (right down to the "don't be so hard on yourself" part). I get that each relationship is a learning experience, but the way this ended stung the most as it made me realize how I can be with others (including you guys). Not to mention that it was my first relationship in years.

The belief that there isn't another relationship coming right around the corner is the biggest trap to avoid. You'll absolutely kill your self esteem and mental health if you buy into that lie.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps learning meditation and CBT would help. Go see a therapist, OP. It will help you with your plans to better yourself. You're already halfway there by acknowledging the problem and planning to do better.