• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Such a baffling decision. I love MHA dubbed so this is disappointing.

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, that explanation sounds dodgy as hell. Unless they're just incredibly stupid, no publisher would purposely throw away the chance to use the actual name of a license for their licensed game.

Not once have they ever mentioned what franchise it's based on by name. Even on the game's website they just say it's based on something.

asD5pql.png

It'll be some legal thing. Like when Koei Tecmo had to rename their Attack on Titan games as 'A.O.T.' in Europe.

I mean, I don't doubt specially if it has a precedent. (And I won't 100% believe PR speak)

But... that's WEIRD. A licensed game that can't use its name? What the heck. Specially considering it's Shonen Jump.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The Japanese performances are extremely important to the way the cutscenes are directed though. This wouldn't be like your typical anime/JRPG dub. I mean more options aren't a bad thing necessarily, I just don't understand why anyone would prefer to play Yakuza specifically with a dub.

There are a lot of people who won't bother with games/movies/shows/etc if they have to read subtitles the entire time. With time/effort you could make an English dub of a Yakuza game be just as impactful as it's Japanese version, but that would require more effort then it's probably worth.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its kinda like their decision with Digimon, aka dub the not so particularly popular game (digimon World (which in my opinion, i was just happy to get it in the west... even if they fucked up the way to say machinedramon) but didnt dub Cyber Slueth Hacker's memory which if going by sales, people bought more of CS than DW:NO.
to sum the above... Bandai Namco is cray cray

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Protip: Most of you who say "I only watched like two episodes of the dub after watching the entire series subbed and didn't like it" probably feel that way because you're just used to seeing it one way and not the other. MHA has a fantastic dub that has more care put into it than most American dubs of the past. When you're used to hearing so much Japanese and associating it with these characters, you're not really hearing the performances anymore but are merely hearing that they're different and that's registering as bad.

Like what you like, sub or dub you're enjoying a great show, but I think a vast majority of people would enjoy this one dubbed if they approached it with an open mind and watched a season without trying to constantly compare it to another version

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of people who won't bother with games/movies/shows/etc if they have to read subtitles the entire time. With time/effort you could make an English dub of a Yakuza game be just as impactful as it's Japanese version, but that would require more effort then it's probably worth.
Yeah, I mean they tried with the first entry on the PS2 and that dub is bad. I'm sure that it is possible to do a good dub, but it would be expensive and most of the audience probably wouldn't care.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Its kinda like their decision with Digimon, aka dub the not so particularly popular game (digimon World (which in my opinion, i was just happy to get it in the west... even if they fucked up the way to say machinedramon) but didnt dub Cyber Slueth Hacker's memory which if going by sales, people bought more of CS than DW:NO.
to sum the above... Bandai Namco is cray cray
Cyber Slueth came first and it was only because fans petitioned for it though. The success of that game is probably why Next Order got a dub.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cyber Slueth came first and it was only because fans petitioned for it though. The success of that game is probably why Next Order got a dub.
But in response to DW:NO's sales i assume, Cyber Slueth Hacker's memory (the second game) did not get a dub whatso-ever.
Bandai namco kinda messes up opportunities when they have chances to make great ones.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah, I mean they tried with the first entry on the PS2 and that dub is bad. I'm sure that it is possible to do a good dub, but it would be expensive and most of the audience probably wouldn't care.

Yakuza as a series in the west inherently appeals to people who enjoy watching niche Japanese only movies that Yakuza is inspired from. Stark contrast to MHA which appeals to a much wider audience and has thousands of fans in the west that their main exposure to the series is the dub by funimation on their website, the physical dvd/br release, or the airing on Toonami.

But in response to DW:NO's sales i assume, Cyber Slueth Hacker's memory (the second game) did not get a dub whatso-ever.

Classic bamco move

Half ass localize for a game fans want, game does extremely well

Good localization for a game fans don't want that plays nothing like the last title, game under performs

Sequel to the game the fans wanted that sold well happens, do a half assed localization again

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If I ever had any interest in this game, this wouldn't bother me tbh. There's certainly worse dubs out there, but I don't care for MHA's at all.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell this is the same namco bandai that didnt even get in contact with Troy Baker to see if he wanted to revoice Yuri for Tales Of Vesperia....

and while going on about digimon... have that whole Digimon world Next Order VITA fiasco (aka the announce it, take it back, and go back and forth for a day and a half)

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Dubs great, but the game still looks like a blast. Also while the anime side has proven itself this is the first game in the franchise to release in the west. Also still hammering out the OT title(I've been working on it, look forward to posting it)
Please include Academia in the OTs title. Bamco being weird about the name shouldn't bleed into ERA's OT.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FUNimation kills it with their dubs and BN continuing to be cheap and lazy with their releases is bullshit. I don't think MHA is particularly great, or that this game will be any good, but the fact that they continue to cheap out on this stuff is infuriating.

My dreams of a dubbed One Piece game will never happen.

Also, we're in 2018 and people are still banging on about subs vs dubs? Yo, having a preference is fine, but continuing to push the false narrative that dubs are inferior is pathetic. Get over it.
last one piece game with a dub

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza as a series in the west inherently appeals to people who enjoy watching niche Japanese only movies that Yakuza is inspired from. Stark contrast to MHA which appeals to a much wider audience and has thousands of fans in the west that their main exposure to the series is the dub by funimation on their website, the physical dvd/br release, or the airing on Toonami.

Classic bamco move

Half ass localize for a game fans want, game does extremely well

Good localization for a game fans don't want that plays nothing like the last title, game under performs

Sequel to the game the fans wanted that sold well happens, do a half assed localization again
Yeah I'm not talking about MHA, they should've dubbed this game.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's proof that it hasn't quite hit the Naruto/DBZ level yet, those being the only two franchises that Namco Bandai bothers dubbing.
Definitely not up to par with either of those popularity-wise, but I'd say it's pretty damn close. It blew up in the West, and the Dub is very popular. Seems silly to cheap out on a series so big. This would be the perfect time to capitalize on the hype.

The fact that it's releasing on Red Dead Day is only going to hurt it even more. I hope it performs at least decently so we can get a sequel with an actual dub.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not up to par with either of those popularity-wise, but I'd say it's pretty damn close. It blew up in the West, and the Dub is very popular. Seems silly to cheap out on a series so big. This would be the perfect time to capitalize on the hype.

The fact that it's releasing on Red Dead Day is only going to hurt it even more. I hope it performs at least decently so we can get a sequel with an actual dub.
might do ok on the switch at least.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Not Surprising, Namco is stringent with another anime game. This is an anime people actually care about though, one of the next 'Big 3', they're really messing up with it in this case.

It honestly surprises me that Code Vein and God Eater 3 are getting dubbed.

Oct 27, 2017
This really annoys me. The dub is fantastic. Funimation has really put work into this series, and a lot of fans only go pulled into the franchise from the dubbed anime. The movie doing so well even with such a short/limited release is further proof.

I would never have watched the anime if it was sub only. Chris Sabat is always going to be All Might to me.

I may turn the voice acting off entirely if it's possible in game.

I'm still getting the game because I love the franchise too much to stay away, but I wouldn't blame anyone who passes on the game over the voice track.

I may double dip later down the line for the Steam release, you just know someone is going to make an English voice mod using clips from the show and Movie. Wouldn't work for the story mode most likely, but definitely would for the combat portions.

I'm still holding out hope for a dub dlc. I'd be willing to pay for it to prove this series deserves it.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Such a bummer. Unless you're Dragonball or are under different publisher, you aren't gonna get a english dub.

Such a shame, there's only ONE One Piece game out there with the Funimation cast that rules. That new game is gonna not have the dub either I bet.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Such a bummer. Unless you're Dragonball or are under different publisher, you aren't gonna get a english dub.

Such a shame, there's only ONE One Piece game out there with the Funimation cast that rules. That new game is gonna not have the dub either I bet.

The direct sequels weren't even released in the US, let alone dubbed. Unlimited World Red which was in the same vein did get over here on a ton of platforms...no dub though. World Seeker will also not get a dub.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Bamco is seriously gonna deny us Chris Sabat yelling out PLUS ULTRA. This is a crime.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
well, I wonder how well people will be able to mod this game, dedicated fans should be able to pull enough dialogue from the show (at least for the main characters) to fill in the mid-fight voices. Disappointed that there's so much weirdness surrounding this western release, hopefully it gets resolved.

Popetita

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I've recently gotten into the anime and I've been watching in English. I usually go for the subs but lately I've been seeing a lot of dubs since I can do other stuff at the same time.

I also wish they would make a decent non-fighting game adaptation for animes.

Imagine a Naruto game where you can kagebunshin around(a skill you upgrade both in distance and amount) and you can do multiples thing and just earn the XP each one has gathered. Some sort of open world thing.

I remember early on in the 360 there was a decent Naruto adventure game.

edit: Just adding that All Might has always given me vibes of Viewtiful Joe and a platinum game would be perfect for MHA

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
How much voice acting would this even have in comparison to something like Tales? They finally started fully dubbing the games instead of leaving the 250+ skits unvoiced since Vesperia, and have for every game since (aside from the one undubbed game). I'd have thought a 40-60 hour RPG would take a lot more time and work to dub than a fighting game.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd post some gifs, but I won't spoil you. Season 3 just wrapped up, you'll have over 60 episodes to binge through. Only 3 filler episodes. 1 in season 2, but it's well made and about a character I really like, worth watching (show warns out the episode before if you want to skip). A couple in season 3. First episode of season 3 and a later one(this one also warns you in the episode before). They have some nice character moments, so I would still watch them. The show is really well paced.

How much voice acting would this even have in comparison to something like Tales? They finally started fully dubbing the games instead of leaving the 250+ skits unvoiced since Vesperia, and have for every game since (aside from the one undubbed game). I'd have thought a 40-60 hour RPG would take a lot more time and work to dub than a fighting game.
This game couldn't have any near that much audio. It has story campaigns, but I can't see the script being JRPG size.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
A big pass for me. The Funimation dub is good, no reason for Bandai Namco to charge $60 for the game if they are going to cheap out like this.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's not a good look...the dub is pretty good.

With that said, looking forward to getting it delivered soon!

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be perfectly honest: I kind of don't want this game now. I figured it wouldn't have a dub because fuck Namco, but seeing it confirmed just....eh.....I don't want to play as my favorite characters and hear voices that I do not associate with them.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be perfectly honest: I kind of don't want this game now. I figured it wouldn't have a dub because fuck Namco, but seeing it confirmed just....eh.....I don't want to play as my favorite characters and hear voices that I do not associate with them.

That's fair. The next game will probably be the one that everyone wants anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
Weird. All of the ps2 era anime games from shaman king, to Naruto to Zach Bell even, all had their English dub cast. Inuyasha and yu yu hakusho too games were dubbed.