Oct 25, 2017
She's been put on a bus in trope terms.

Yeah it's not the greatest look for a character like Nagant who could've offered a ton of story potential to get fridged in her first fight while Aoyama is basically getting a redemption story out of his betrayal. Whereas with Nagant her punishment for betrayal was to get, well, blown up. All of this goes back to Hori's continued treatment or lack thereof for the female side of the cast. I don't think he does this consciously, and it's only gotten worse since he seems to be rushing to the finish line.

Meanwhile, Gege writes the magnificence that is Nobara and she doesn't even make the top ten in the popularity poll. What a world

You got the completely wrong impression from my post. I'm glad Aoyama is sticking around, just pointing out that Nagant got the short end of the stick in a similar scenario

I get the complaint, but I think it's the fact that she didn't actually die that's telling. Also, fridged doesn't literally mean kill the woman, which he didn't do in this instance.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
She's been put on a bus in trope terms.

Yeah it's not the greatest look for a character like Nagant who could've offered a ton of story potential to get fridged in her first fight while Aoyama is basically getting a redemption story out of his betrayal. Whereas with Nagant her punishment for betrayal was to get, well, blown up. All of this goes back to Hori's continued treatment or lack thereof for the female side of the cast. I don't think he does this consciously, and it's only gotten worse since he seems to be rushing to the finish line.

Meanwhile, Gege writes the magnificence that is Nobara and she doesn't even make the top ten in the popularity poll. What a world

You got the completely wrong impression from my post. I'm glad Aoyama is sticking around, just pointing out that Nagant got the short end of the stick in a similar scenario
Thing is it's too early to say she's been put in a bus or her potential been wasted since all the Pros have technically been bench since her fight

After her fight we had the Pros walk into trap and then the focus shifted to Deku and Class A, then to Shigaraki vs Star, then back to Class A currently, if the next big arc with the Pros fighting doesn't have her then it's fair to say that Horikoshi did her dirty

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
TBH Hori's handling of the female cast is mostly just... weird? And very inconsistent. Like, we got the Uraraka thing early, then all the women in the Yakuza arc get totally sidelined. Then you had Mirko in the War arc, followed by Midnight getting offscreened. Nagant is cool as fuck but also only lasts one arc. Star, same shit. Part of me wants to point at editorial meddling, because I'm just having a lot of trouble squaring the absolutely ridiculously cool female characters in this series with how little screentime they get, in the grand scheme of things.
My prediction is we never see Nagant again.
I think we'll see her right before the end. She's not gonna have a big role in the final arc or anything, but in the epilogue, I think she'll show up, if only briefly.

Mirko is who I'm expecting to turn back up in a big way.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
TBH Hori's handling of the female cast is mostly just... weird? And very inconsistent. Like, we got the Uraraka thing early, then all the women in the Yakuza arc get totally sidelined. Then you had Mirko in the War arc, followed by Midnight getting offscreened. Nagant is cool as fuck but also only lasts one arc. Star, same shit. Part of me wants to point at editorial meddling, because I'm just having a lot of trouble squaring the absolutely ridiculously cool female characters in this series with how little screentime they get, in the grand scheme of things.

I think we'll see her right before the end. She's not gonna have a big role in the final arc or anything, but in the epilogue, I think she'll show up, if only briefly.

Mirko is who I'm expecting to turn back up in a big way.
Star and Nagant feels like a consequence of the rush like they're both characters Hori wants to introduce but he wants to get to the end so he makes some flimsy plot purposes for them and to have them in for a minute especially since they were there for several chapters

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Star and Nagant feels like a consequence of the rush like they're both characters Hori wants to introduce but he wants to get to the end so he makes some flimsy plot purposes for them and to have them in for a minute especially since they were there for several chapters
I could see it. Wanted to get into the history of the hero system and the hypocrisy of it all (we already had some of it with Hawks), and wanted to work in the international heroes, but also really really really wants to be done with this, apparently. I'd thought about it with Star since that whole arc just made... very little sense, otherwise, but it works for Nagant, too.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
The chances that Aoyama and his parents get blown up, or that they use Aoyama as a traitor against AFO are both pretty low. The former because Horikoshi doesn't have the guts to have anything that dark happen to the kids, and the latter because it wouldn't be very heroic to send one of your fellow classmates (even if he is a scumbag) into knowing danger as a spy like that.

It'll be real fucking lame if Deku wins over and this all gets wrapped up next chapter, not because it was completely expected for Deku to go down this route, but because it'd show that the only viewpoint that matters in this class is Deku's.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
This is the worst "there's a traitor among us" yet…he ain't even do shit. It feels like hori through this together at the last moment; he's already captured and getting hit with "talk-no-justu" in a span of one chapter…might as well not had a traitor at all.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
The chances that Aoyama and his parents get blown up, or that they use Aoyama as a traitor against AFO are both pretty low. The former because Horikoshi doesn't have the guts to have anything that dark happen to the kids, and the latter because it wouldn't be very heroic to send one of your fellow classmates (even if he is a scumbag) into knowing danger as a spy like that.

It'll be real fucking lame if Deku wins over and this all gets wrapped up next chapter, not because it was completely expected for Deku to go down this route, but because it'd show that the only viewpoint that matters in this class is Deku's.
I could honestly see UA setting up a trap for AFO by using Aoyama to feed AFO false information.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just caught up on the past month of chapters. Still disappointed about Star and Stripe but I guess it's all to ensure 1A are put over as the top heroes. I also had like no reaction to Aoyama being the traitor. Guess someone who hasn't received too much of a focus had to be the traitor.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, it's a 3-for-1 deal with this arc:
  • Traitor reveal: Aoyama
  • Hagakure face reveal
  • Lady Nagant being relevant again eeever so slightly
Love Shoto just telling Nezu "No." Lmao. It was nice seeing everyone's reactions, though it wasn't surprising that Shoto and Bakugo both looked calm, lol.

PFFT. R.I.P. Hagakure.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Woahhh. Was just introduced to this neat Hagakure theory. I highly doubt it, of course, but it's technically not impossible at this point? Simply put, the theory suggests that Hagakure is a Nomu the same way Kurogiri is, except using Hana Shimura as a base, and is a sleeper agent who's not aware that she's a spy. The only thing going against it right now, off the top of my head, is that we saw Hagakure had light-colored hair.
A tragedy, really. We deserved to have that design around longer.

It's one of the best examples, IMO, of why the idea of Horikoshi just rushing towards the end now feels true. You get this super cool and exciting concept of a vigilante Deku with a sick costume that finally uses the cowl and everything, and he's operating at peak efficiency outside of hygiene and general wellbeing... and it's gone in one arc. You could argue that Nagant and Stars were another one of those cool concepts that he just wanted to rush out, but it could also just have been him treating female characters poorly. Vigilante Deku, on the other hand, is freaking Deku! He teased the idea of this design (with the Gran Torino cape in particular) a long time ago, so I would be surprised if the plan wasn't to have it be the status quo for longer.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Woahhh. Was just introduced to this neat Hagakure theory. I highly doubt it, of course, but it's technically not impossible at this point? Simply put, the theory suggests that Hagakure is a Nomu the same way Kurogiri is, except using Hana Shimura as a base, and is a sleeper agent who's not aware that she's a spy. The only thing going against it right now, off the top of my head, is that we saw Hagakure had light-colored hair.

A tragedy, really. We deserved to have that design around longer.

It's one of the best examples, IMO, of why the idea of Horikoshi just rushing towards the end now feels true. You get this super cool and exciting concept of a vigilante Deku with a sick costume that finally uses the cowl and everything, and he's operating at peak efficiency outside of hygiene and general wellbeing... and it's gone in one arc. You could argue that Nagant and Stars were another one of those cool concepts that he just wanted to rush out, but it could also just have been him treating female characters poorly. Vigilante Deku, on the other hand, is freaking Deku! He teased the idea of this design (with the Gran Torino cape in particular) a long time ago, so I would be surprised if the plan wasn't to have it be the status quo for longer.
I really wonder what happened behind the scenes. Early on in the series I thought we would see all three years of them at U.A. and that's clearly not going to happen. Hori blew through characters like Nagant and Star and Stripe when he could've centered entire arcs around them. Punished Deku could've lasted that whole time too. Everything he's done post war arc has been cool, but also feels like the abridged version of events. It's weird

I mean, my boy Stain came back and it was basically a foot note

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I really wonder what happened behind the scenes. Early on in the series I thought we would see all three years of them at U.A. and that's clearly not going to happen. Hori blew through characters like Nagant and Star and Stripe when he could've centered entire arcs around them. Punished Deku could've lasted that whole time too. Everything he's done post war arc has been cool, but also feels like the abridged version of events. It's weird

I mean, we did get entire arcs for Nagant and Star. They were just short arcs that was just a fight where they nearly/died... But yeah, it really is curious why the story's been going really fast since the end of the war arc.

Stain coming back was just one chapter, if I recall correctly, lmao. That was disappointing.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Idk about all 3 years, but I did think we would timeskip to Year 3 or something like that

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I mean, we did get entire arcs for Nagant and Star. They were just short arcs that was just a fight where they nearly/died... But yeah, it really is curious why the story's been going really fast since the end of the war arc.

Stain coming back was just one chapter, if I recall correctly, lmao. That was disappointing.
Those might as well have been one issue chapters lol

I was so hyped for Stain's return and it just came and went
Idk about all 3 years, but I did think we would timeskip to Year 3 or something like that
I was one of the few beating the all 3 years drum lol

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I had no idea Hagakure was actually running around naked. I thought she had a costume made out of DNA fabric like Mirio's.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Hagakure's real face for the first time was emotional, well played there i think.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I think Hori either locked in a concept he wants to get to work on, got into a spat with editorial and wants out, or some combination of both.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
And we see Hagakure has hair to spare
Yeah! I was surprised, honestly. One of my first thoughts: She's not bald! Cause that volume character page where the kids swapped haircuts had someone bald, so I thought she was bald or something, lmao.
I think Hori either locked in a concept he wants to get to work on, got into a spat with editorial and wants out, or some combination of both.
Oh man, didn't MHA get a new editor a while back? I wonder if it has something to do with that... I really hope it's nothing like that. Would rather he just got tired of it and decided himself that he wants out rather than being forced into ending it soon.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Why has AFO been dunking on Dabi for the last two chapters?

"Unlike me you have no friends. Cheap-ass 100 yen lighter."
AFO is angry that his decades of plotting, putting pieces on the table, and taking the optimal path has led to a situation where Dabi is one of his most significant allies and is taking it out on him via petty jabs.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
AFO is angry that his decades of plotting, putting pieces on the table, and taking the optimal path has led to a situation where Dabi is one of his most significant allies and is taking it out on him via petty jabs.
I can vibe with that, let's be honest with ourselves - no one would want to be stuck with Dabi for more then 5 minutes

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
At some point AFO realised his top villainous organization now consists of an angry gamer, an incel, a Hot Topic crazy girl and a fanboy in cosplay.

He wasn't happy with that realization.

In case anyone takes this seriously, I know Dabi is not an incel lol, it is just a running joke

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, if this is the intended characterization, I love it. It'd be great if Dabi notices and is like "what's with the disrespect" so AFO can really lay into him. I'd love an unfavorable comparison to some old lieutenants.