• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
I was out of work for 3 months on medical leave and this is my first week back. One of the many things I did to bide my time was to watch the entirety of The Office (US) and one of the most important things about that show was to teach me that office work is not that serious. Prior to this leave of absence I was frequently stressed and took my job very seriously. I'm not saying that there won't be times now where I'm stressed or serious. I'm just realizing that the world continued to move on without me while I was out and really jobs are not THAT serious.

I'm also not saying that I'll reach the high level of ridiculousness that was on that show but little things I can do definitely, like tell more jokes and have more levity in general.

Somewhat accidentally I've also been preceding my questions with a "Question!" thanks to Dwight Schrute. So there's that.

Has a piece of media ever influenced you to change your approach to work or life in general?

PS - I'm looking for a good excuse to say "DID I STUTTER?"

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to lighten the mood at the workplace. But if there's one character you shouldn't emulate from that show, it's Dwight. Or Ryan. Or Kevin.

OP
OP
FloatOn

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018

200w.webp

From the original post:

I'm also not saying that I'll reach the high level of ridiculousness that was on that show but little things I can do definitely, like tell more jokes and have more levity in general.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
tumblr_nocww2Fn4A1tp719lo1_250.gif

Doing anything from The Office might make your real-life office more cringeworthy. It's probably not worth it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Have you ever worked in a place that is similar to The Office? It is frustrating and miserable, and having funny anectdotes about how dumb everything is at your workplace won't make up for that.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Real workplaces are never like the US office, that was the point of the original show

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
You aren't really supposed to want to be like any of these characters. They are flawed archetypes meant to demonstrate the banality of corporate concepts. They are fun to watch on TV because they are cathartic and relatable. They make you feel better about your own job. But if you actually worked in that office it would be very frustrating and stressful, as it is often depicted to be for its characters. The Office doesn't present any sort of ideal for you recreate. The message of The Office is that, despite the stress and duress of being a wage-slave, there is still hope and humanity behind the neckties and nametags. You are meant to see through the parody of a hostile work environment and remember we are all just people trying to finish working, get paid, and go home.

There are lessons to take from the show and I think it's valuable media for anybody who does work in corporate America. But you shouldn't be trying to recreate The Office for you or anyone around you. The Office isn't real and neither are any of its characters. Instead of trying to see yourself or your coworkers as characters in a TV show, try instead to see the hope and humanity that motivates you all to work in the same ugly place together.

Also if you ever work with an actual Dwight or a real Michael Scott you should be rich from the lawsuits. Go to HR.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
If you decide to bring a comically-large pot of chili in to work, remember to grab a cart instead of trying to carry it yourself.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

Somewhat accidentally I've also been preceding my questions with a "Question!" thanks to Dwight Schrute. So there's that.
no one at your job wants you to do any of this

please dont do any of this

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'll turn your office into a living hell and will cause everyone to hate you. Don't try to turn reality into a TV show.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Don't listen to them, OP. What you're doing here is admirable. These guys are fools!

OP
OP
FloatOn

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
You aren't really supposed to want to be like any of these characters. They are flawed archetypes meant to demonstrate the banality of corporate concepts. They are fun to watch on TV because they are cathartic and relatable. They make you feel better about your own job. But if you actually worked in that office it would be very frustrating and stressful, as it is often depicted to be for its characters. The Office doesn't present any sort of ideal for you recreate. The message of The Office is that, despite the stress and duress of being a wage-slave, there is still hope and humanity behind the neckties and nametags. You are meant to see through the parody of a hostile work environment and remember we are all just people trying to finish working, get paid, and go home.

There are lessons to take from the show and I think it's valuable media for anybody who does work in corporate America. But you shouldn't be trying to recreate The Office for you or anyone around you. The Office isn't real and neither are any of its characters. Instead of trying to see yourself or your coworkers as characters in a TV show, try instead to see the hope and humanity that motivates you all to work in the same ugly place together.

Also if you ever work with an actual Dwight or a real Michael Scott you should be rich from the lawsuits. Go to HR.

very well said. But again, as I stated in the OP my mission isn't to bring a 1:1 recreation of the show to a real life scenario. It would never ever work.

All I'm saying is that a takeaway from that show was that comedy and/or levity can and should exist even in the most mundane settings.

I thought I made that clear in the post but I guess not.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Office was originally a deep skewering of oftentimes toxic and sometimes inane work culture... especially the UK original.

To be fair the US show did turn into a kind of adorkable family-like workspace over time... I get the appeal. No, you shouldn't be stressing like it's life and death at work.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I was out of work for 3 months on medical leave and this is my first week back. One of the many things I did to bide my time was to watch the entirety of The Office (US) and one of the most important things about that show was to teach me that office work is not that serious. Prior to this leave of absence I was frequently stressed and took my job very seriously. I'm not saying that there won't be times now where I'm stressed or serious. I'm just realizing that the world continued to move on without me while I was out and really jobs are not THAT serious.

Has a piece of media ever influenced you to change your approach to work or life in general?

PS - I'm looking for a good excuse to say "DID I STUTTER?"

Don't be this guy in the office. Everyone knows one of these guys playing a "character" at work. It's not a good look.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
very well said. But again, as I stated in the OP my mission isn't to bring a 1:1 recreation of the show to a real life scenario. It would never ever work.

All I'm saying is that a takeaway from that show was that comedy and/or levity can and should exist even in the most mundane settings.

I thought I made that clear in the post but I guess not.
No. No one wants this in a work setting.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The interesting thing about Michael is, as flawed as he is, he genuinely seems to enjoy life and be a generally happier person than just about anyone else in that office. I've always envied that.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the office is so old at this point that quoting Dwight or Stanley is basically the same level as Michael greeting Pam with wassaaaaaap in like season 2

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Jobs are actually that serious because it involves your, and everyone else's, actual livelihood. If you don't feel fulfilled by your job, it is extremely selfish and immature to emulate a funny new tv show you were drawn to. These people have their own lives and their own problems, when they come into work to make a living they don't want to deal with shit like this.

Just make meaningful friendships or stay out of people's hair.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

you literally said the same as the op

only fancier

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna make your co-workers have to endure decade old, overused jokes inspired by The Office?

Good luck to them 🤧

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you want a place that has rampant sexual, racial and homophobic under tones to every joke, prank and snide remake?

Come on. I love the Office but it's a tv show for a reason.

Dec 6, 2017
US
While I don't work in an office environment like that, having my own personal office and so on, we did have a "funny antics guy" working here once. It was excruciating and culminated in him trying to fly one of his toy mini helicopters in the hallway and hit the owner in the head with it. That was the only time he was ever actually funny, when he got shit-canned an hour later.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
There was a kid who tried bringing a bit of levity at my last workplace. Quoted memes, reddit jokes, etc.

Everyone ended up hating that dude.

Fake laughing sucks and trying to humor the unfunny dude attempting to be funny is exhausting.

OP
OP
FloatOn

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
like fucking obviously I'll still do work and not say abusive shit.

but an occasional joke here and there or a lighter mood in general wouldn't kill anyone.

this thread won't backfire on my watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Do it OP!

Naruto changed my life, and I go around making friendship promises, believing it, and running around work like this

tumblr_inline_nq00r6QS2W1t7ahrq_500.gif

Last week I hyperventilated when I thought of my best friend. People definitely notice me more around the office compared to before.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No fun allowed.

Seems like work has broken some spirits. Kind of a shame but hey who am I to say how or how not to lighten the mood at work?
no one says that there is anything wrong with lightening the mood in an office, but are you genuinely funny or are you just going to be goofing around?

Most people come to work to work, they don't care about anyone else.

I have a co-worker that is giddy and happy go-getter and every time I hear her say one of her dumb fuck annectodes/jokes I want to blow my brains out.

Also how long have you worked in an office enviroment, it sounds like it hasn't hit you how fucking little people care after 8+ years.

Oct 28, 2017
The last place I worked was more serious when I started but after a while we changed the climate and I feel like I left it a better place. You need the right type of people to pull this off.

Sports on the TV with the "stats" on it
Yo-Yo day
theme music for when certain people came to our side of the building played over the loud speaker.
dramatic readings of Shakespeare
Conspiracy boards about non-specific conspiracies (I got that one from ERA/GAF)

There are people that just want to put in their 8 hours and then go home and that's fine however we don't give those people a hard time (nor do we give them drinks on fridays)

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
I mean definitely go back to work with the intention of enjoying your time, that's great.

But the UK Office is a more realistic take on what happens people try to be funny at work, so try not to be like David Brent while you're trying to be like one of the loveable characters from the American version

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I think I get where you're coming from OP. It sounds like you genuinely just want to make the office a bit more laid back and fun. The reality is is that your co-workers probably don't feel the same way and would much rather go in, do their job, and leave. They have a life outside of the office and they more than likely just want to get back to it.

*Edit: If you do get fired try not to worry about it too much. We'll all float on okay.