• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nah, he's 100% right. He's saying what OP needs to hear.
Yep. Numerous people in here trying to save the OP from embarrassing himself at work, and his takeaway is that we must just be unhappy.

If he wants to spout memes at work all day, that's his prerogative. Just don't act like there's something wrong with everyone else for acknowledging how lame that is.

OP
OP
FloatOn

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
It just makes me think of the kid in high school who endlessly quoted Monty Python and Eddie Izzard because he thought it made him funny instead of annoying the piss out of everyone. No one likes that guy. Don't be that guy.

the thread title read "more like" not "exactly like" and I said it here many times that I'm not trying for a 1:1 recreation but just a shift towards something a bit more lighthearted.

This has gotten way overblown.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the thread title read "more like" not "exactly like" and I said it here many times that I'm not trying for a 1:1 recreation but just a shift towards something a bit more lighthearted.

This has gotten way overblown.
You mention in the first post that you're trying to work quotes from the show into your daily life! That kind of thing won't be funny to anyone but you!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Last time I was laid off I went through most of Seinfeld and Star Trek TNG. Missed opportunity to start new job as some kind of enlightened space asshole.

OP
OP
FloatOn

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
You mention in the first post that you're trying to work quotes from the show into your daily life! That kind of thing won't be funny to anyone but you!

that was my bad and I can see why people might give me shit about it.

but, the main point is more about levity in an office setting because for all the stupid shit Michael did in the office I think his intention was to have fun.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

but, the main point is more about levity in an office setting because for all the stupid shit he did in the office I think his intention was to have fun.
Quoting TV shows won't bring levity to an office. Just being friendly and upfront with your coworkers is far better than trying to force jokes into conversations will ever be. "PS - I'm looking for a good excuse to say "DID I STUTTER?"" is one of the cringiest things I've ever read. Like that feels like something out of The Office itself. It's not something any reasonable person should do.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I had learned a lot sooner that being the jokey guy is really not welcome at all at work, and most all workplace jokes are really not that funny. Most laughter at work comes from making people a little uncomfortable due to something unexpected, which is easier to do at work than practically anywhere else because work is pretty much entirely routines and expectations. #1 best thing you can do at work is make other people's work easier. #2 would be like, don't make other people's work harder. Being funny would be like #999.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
OP, I like your idea and every single thing you're trying to implement. Even if 20% of your jokes land, you'll likely be the funniest person there.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
OP, during lunch break you should walk up to people and yell "I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?"

Everyone will love that.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

but, the main point is more about levity in an office setting because for all the stupid shit Michael did in the office I think his intention was to have fun.

giphy.gif

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Michael Scott and David Brent are really incompetent. Their behavior is definitely not a model to strive for at all.

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
very well said. But again, as I stated in the OP my mission isn't to bring a 1:1 recreation of the show to a real life scenario. It would never ever work.

All I'm saying is that a takeaway from that show was that comedy and/or levity can and should exist even in the most mundane settings.

I thought I made that clear in the post but I guess not.

No you were very clear OP, everyone is just coming for your goat. I support you all the way.

That being said maybe have a job lined up just incase cause most people just cant handle a joke nowadays.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
I think it's a great idea, OP. You should really get into it. Dress up as one of your favorite characters. Go into work one day in full costume and act exactly like them. Be like Michael Scott, tell jokes, drink from your World's Best Boss coffee mug. When your coworkers ask what the hell you're doing, you take your coffee mug

btt.gif

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
this sounds like something michael scott would do, try to remedy his unhappiness and loneliness by attempting to transform all of his coworkers into friends

newline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I've had two consecutive jobs in software engineering that felt ridiculously close to this kind of office sitcom trope. They were both startup/upstarts with too much money and little direction. It's fun for a couple of years but the banality of not really getting much done becomes too much after a while.

In my last role my team didn't release any code for 6 months, we just messed around in the office. We all left within a two month period after that out of boredom.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Lmao!
My ex LOVES the office and probably rewatched every episode 5 times at LEAST.

She would come home complaining about certain coworkers and their office pranks/antics while I would just laugh and remind her that she loves the office.

People love WATCHING the Office, no one wants to work in the Office.

In other words, the acts and stunts performed in that show have been done by professional actors. Don't not try this at home/work. Viewer discretion is advised.