• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
aTeB6Zq.jpg

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
Apparently source 2 has been an absolute nightmare to work with and is the cause for basically why they aren't making games

Remember when Valve announced Source 2 in March 2015 (over 4 years ago!) and said they would release it free to all developers and hyped how amazing it would be...

And then they abandoned it like the majority of their projects.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, not L4D3, but maybe it's for Back 4 Blood since that's supposed to be a spiritual successor? One can hope...

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a clear fake. Someone posted pages ago that these are all assets you can just find online.

Yeah, devs may use them too, but I doubt this is the case.

SUPER good effort, however.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I don't think they'd be bold enough to switch over to the Unreal Engine given all of the business they're losing to them now.

If they weren't so steadfast in keeping their employee count around 300, it really would make sense to just buy Unity. Could leave it untouched on the console side, but have similar deals that Epic does with their engine.

The Lab was mostly made in Unity. One of their supposed three VR games is Unity. They've released some really great Unity plugins for SteamVR (from lessons learned working with the Unity engine).

It just hit me: we haven't heard anything about this VR Unity game either;) So engine isn't the only issue here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
From the quality of the assests, it doesnt look like your normal every day sfm project, took someone time and effort to make this, looks cool, but im not gonna hope for something official.
Yea those assets were the main thing that caught my eye. No way a random guy just and those. Too much attention to detail.

Edit: Oh fuck. No one saw that.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Back 4 Blood is happening but I don't this is from them. Probably just a fan creation.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After the fake switch I believe nothing.

However I hope this is real, if not these guys put some serious effort in to this

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda off topic but...this can of spray paint costs $25?! Are these normal prices?
You think its to expensive? what do you think 3d artist should be paid?. This paintcan can easily eat up half a day of work if not more. Hourly rates are usually between 30 and 60

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
You think its too expensive? what do you think 3d artist should be paid?. This paintcan can easily eat up half a day of work if not more. Hourly rates are usually between 30 and 60

Maybe i'm missing something here. Can't more than 1 person buy it? (for example, a game costs millions of dollars and years to make but sells for $60)
The person making the can will surely make more than 1 sale or is that not allowed?
Is each item unique and once sold no other person can buy it? If that's the case then the price is fine

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely has the hallmarks of an E3 reveal trailer.

"what is this... what is this... ladders? diagrams and maps on walls... is this?? ok Zombies ok... YO... YO... IS THIS..? IS THIS?? *four fingered hand shows up* OHHHHHHHHH SHIIT! LEFT 4 DEAD!!!"

A well-made/shot trailer even if fake.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Has to be something. That slightly accentuated, slightly cartoony hyper-reality art style is exactly how L4D looks, and the production value aside from that is wild.

If it's not real, whoever made this is incredibly talented. It's genuinely one of the most well cut, well produced teasers I've ever seen.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't display the email address. They could have just made an account with his name if its not just an edited picture.

i emailed him though lol

QG9mR1a.png

I don't think he'd reply fake if it was real but rather just not reply at all. shrug, I'm not sure.

I don't think it's real anymore though and it breaks my heart :-( Give me some fuckin games valve!

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Has to be something. That slightly accentuated, slightly cartoony hyper-reality art style is exactly how L4D looks, and the production value aside from that is wild.

If it's not real, whoever made this is incredibly talented. It's genuinely one of the most well cut, well produced teasers I've ever seen.

Source film maker is available to the public and people have made tons of high quality videos using it.
Check out Agent Gunn, the orginal assets featured in the video are high enough quality that they could be TF2 Valve assets (pretty much everything is Valve quality aside from the animations not being as good as what Valve brings to the table):

If there had actually been characters in it I think it would have been much easier to tell because Valve has some of the best animators in the game business.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Gabe has replied back to emails on multiple occasions, I'm not sure why people think that that response is fake.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe i'm missing something here. Can't more than 1 person buy it? (for example, a game costs millions of dollars and years to make but sells for $60)
The person making the can will surely make more than 1 sale or is that not allowed?
Is each item unique and once sold no other person can buy it? If that's the case then the price is fine
He is already selling it for far cheaper than it would actually take him, and the chance of it actually selling is normally very low since there are thousands on thousands of competing assets. You make something without knowing if it will sell, so you price it attractively hoping people will pick it up and use it in their projects. Your thoughts on this are quite unsettling as a developer and artist. Artists need to make a living and artists making turbosquid models actually earn far less than what 3d modelers earn at a studio (and even their wages are typically quite low)

Pulled this one from a talk about the future of AI technologies being used in game development (note, those costs are mainly spread out over multiple artists on AAA games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlgLxSLsYWQ (that slide is from 5:33 min in)

Making game ready 3d models is time consuming and labour intensive and companies pay the hour wages while freelancers and hobbyists have to rely on indivisual sales to make some money and its hard to survive doing that as an individual. They need to sell more and more since they also pay their own taxes on it, dont have healthcare via company etc. you are a business in a way and its not easy. So yeah that model should be more expensive but its already driven to the minimum.