• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuperNerd3000

Oct 25, 2017
Afro Samurai. Animation was spectacular and so was the sound (thanks RZA)... but man the gameplay was downright shallow. Borderline insulting. Willed my way through just because I felt I owed it to the game artists.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This thread will certainly be popular among people that want nothing more than to shit on a game real quick before heading back to GameFAQs. Great work, OP.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1136.jpg

If an otoge counts, レンドフルール, Reine des Fleurs.
The art was absolutely beautiful. Everything else was just terrible, and I had to sit through 40 bad endings to get the platinum.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call Killzone Shadow Fall terrible but I did play it past the point I stopped enjoying it because it was a shiny new launch title. But then it got a random difficulty spike and I dropped it.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Ni No Kuni II is shaping up to be exactly this for me.

It's not a TERRIBLE game, but it's so boring that it's hard to sit down and play it. I'd be lying if said I didn't think it's fucking gorgeous though.

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Batman Arkham Knight! I hated the game, but it look very good, so I kept playing. I will never understand how they went from a masterpiece that was Arkham City (and a great game that was Asylum) to this! The Batmobile missions were absolutely horrible! How did they mess up the Batmobile?! Somehow, it lost a lof of what made Arkham City great.

Anyways, it was early in PS4 cycle so graphics were very good at a time and it kept me hooked.

A lot of people will mention The Order 1886, though

kkutre

May 29, 2018
The Order 1886 for me. Jesus, that game was terrible, but looked superb. I decided to finish it because I knew it was short. It is funny how people freaked out about it being "just" around 5-7 hours long, when it is the second best thing about the game after the graphics.

Deleted member 1105

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am gonna throw in another vote for The Order 1886. I mostly pressed on because I knew I could finish it that same night and be done with it.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I wouldn't call Killzone Shadow Fall terrible but I did play it past the point I stopped enjoying it because it was a shiny new launch title. But then it got a random difficulty spike and I dropped it.

Why does everyone hate this game? It really blows my mind and I consider it one of my favorite FPS single player games ever.

It was a total joy to play. I love the controls and the mechanics were pretty in depth. It took some getting used to, but once you did, it was like butter.

And yes the graphics were incredible. I still find them great.

I dearly love Shadow Fall.

--------

In before Uncharted 4.
I wouldn't cite it as an example, but I don't really blame people who do.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how a game can be "terrible" and yet you will through it and it's not your job. I can see that for a game that's "ok" or even "not good" but not terrible. That's like, I don't get it. Idk I'm out of the loop.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Horizon: Zero Dawn. The beautiful graphics and vibrant world are the only thing the game has going for itself.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The Order wasnt terrible, but the graphics were the only reason I had to keep playing. Everything else was so meh that I played the entire game in one sitting, I knew that if I stopped I wouldn't come back. It was worth the 10 dollars, though.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I'm going to do this for The Order: 1886, since I plan to go back to it sometime. One of the most sublime looking PS4 games, if not the best looking among games that strive for realism, but it didn't capture me too well when I played it last year.
This thread will certainly be popular among people that want nothing more than to shit on a game real quick before heading back to GameFAQs. Great work, OP.
I was actually gonna list a couple games people consider "good" that have average gameplay, but I ultimately went with the safe option to avoid derailment. lol

Last edited:

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
The Order 1886. I even tried to make it somewhat bearable by turning off auto-aim and setting it to the most difficult option. The sad thing is, that game had a lot of promise with the setting and characters but they completely dropped the ball when it came to the most important thing, gameplay. I'd totally buy a sequel to it if they completely revamped the gameplay or had another studio do it.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Why does everyone hate this game? It really blows my mind and I consider it one of my favorite FPS single player games ever.

It was a total joy to play. I love the controls and the mechanics were pretty in depth. It took some getting used to, but once you did, it was like butter.

--------

In before Uncharted 4.
That gliding level was the stuff of nightmares. Other than that though, the game was solid.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
I'll go ahead and parrot Killzone Shadow Fall - I got a PS4 with my tax return in the Spring of 2014 and picked up the game along with a few others. Ended up dropping it after a few hours because it was so...bland. Like, I'm sitting here struggling to remember any memorable moments from my playtime and I can't. Just came off as cookie cutter or uninspired to me.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I've never had this feeling ever.

Why do you do things you don't enjoy.

Why do you hate yourself, OP?

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Can't really say I have this problem.

The closest case would probably be Luigi's Mansion. It's ok, but I don't think I would have played it all the way through were it not a GameCube launch title.

I've never had this feeling ever.

Why do you do things you don't enjoy.

Why do you hate yourself, OP?

Or this.

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
El Shaddai. I wouldnt actually say it was terrible, but im still not actually sure wtf was going on with the gameplay. It was really offputting at times, and felt extremely underbaked. I keep it in my collection though, and will definitely go through it again at somepoint. Damn interesting experience.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
El Shaddai. I wouldnt actually say it was terrible, but im still not actually sure wtf was going on with the gameplay. It was really offputting at times, and felt extremely underbaked. I keep it in my collection though, and will definitely go through it again at somepoint. Damn interesting experience.

Yeah, I love everything about this game aside from that janky combat.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I remember being speechless by Heavy Rain's graphics but never actually enjoyed it that much. Years later I would realize QuanticDreams games are best experienced with friends, they're a blast to play

Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing to add really except to say that this is an interesting thread. I realize that maybe I've never done this. I've done this to see where a story is going, and a good story will get me to put up with bad gameplay with no issue.

I think the closest that I've come is finishing both Super Mario Galaxy games with all stars. It's not just the art direction, which I think is gorgeous, but the music, which I think comprises the best OSTs in all of video gaming. I do remember really hating actually playing both games, though. I hated the gyro shit (especially the roll-cage gyro crap), I hated the dull linearity of the levels (especially in the first Galaxy), I hated almost all of the level design gimmicks (they were creative, but most of them weren't actually fun to play). If they didn't have that art, that music, and per the first Galaxy, that storybook narrative that gave Rosalina's backstory, they would be dumpster fire-level games for me. I'll never play them again, but I'll never regret spending a bunch of hours hating my way through them just to experience the artistry of everything around the gameplay.

I say that they don't count because it wasn't just graphics/art direction, but the music and the narrative backstory in the first one that also contributed, so I've not yet done this purely for graphics or art direction. This is as close as I've gotten.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Ni No Kuni II is shaping up to be exactly this for me.

It's not a TERRIBLE game, but it's so boring that it's hard to sit down and play it. I'd be lying if said I didn't think it's fucking gorgeous though.

This for me! It's not horrible it's just not very compelling either but it's pretty!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

--------

In before Uncharted 4.
Where did I say I hated it?

Oct 27, 2017
Crysis 1, 2, and 3. Hated them. But I purchased each one around an upgrade to my computer. Still hate them, terrible games.

Recently? Far cry 5 to try it out on Xbox one, and Witcher 3. Not terrible games... But not for me. Though I didn't finish either of them, so I guess they don't apply

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
None. I'll drop that real fast.

Horizon is a good game but I may not have played the entire thing if it weren't so good looking.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly don't think I've ever stuck with a game just because of the graphics.

Stuck with mediocre looking games because of the gameplay. Tons of them.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon.

It was beautiful but even the aesthetics started to annoy near the end.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how a game can be "terrible" and yet you will through it and it's not your job. I can see that for a game that's "ok" or even "not good" but not terrible. That's like, I don't get it. Idk I'm out of the loop.
Yeah, this right here. Why would you bother with a game that's genuinely terrible to play just for the pretty vistas? I don't think I've ever managed to do that (but then again, I avoid any game that could qualify to begin with).

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn. I wouldn't call it terrible, I'd call it decent, but I'd usually trade a game like that in after a few hours. But it was pretty enough that I was happy to be in the world and see what it had to offer until endgame.