• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Crysis 2.

To be fair I wouldn't call it terrible but it really didn't interest me whatsoever beyond the looking at some nice real time rendering.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of people in this thread that said Horizon make me lose faith in humanity. One or two people sure, but yeesh. I wonder what's you people's definition of "good" if Horizon is so "terrible"

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 4. Yeah you read that right. Game was trash and I still beat it in hopes it would be good. Trash game.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Naming a game then saying "I wouldn't call it terrible" goes completely against what the OP asked you.

Me? Never have, never will force my way through a game for the graphics. If I find it legitimately terrible, I'm dumping it early.
Not really? Objectively, I can see P5 isn't terrible but Subjectively, I find it almost unbearable. It was one of my least favorite games I've played in a while but can see why others might praise it so much.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Few people know or heard of that game since we're on an American centric board but Wrath of the Demon on amiga is gorgeous, has fantastic music and absolutely horrible gameplay

Same woth Thalion's Lionheart for Amiga 1200

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon for sure, one of the most overrated games in this generation but it does look good enough to play it for that reason, and the gameplay is serviceable which is nice I guess, it's no Ryse at least.

Hoping they get better writers in the sequel and change the protagonist.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Killzone 2 and 3. The unresponsive by design controls made for headache inducing fire fights. But the games were so pretty to look at.

Hot Take: Uncharted 1, 2 and 3. I always found the gunplay and traversal to be subpar and weirdly animated (especially 3 with that aim delay and drake wanting to grab adjacent walls all the time). I stuck around for the graphics and the story which overshadowed the gameplay. (I don't have this complaint for Uncharted 4, lost legacy or the last of us. Those games have tight gunplay to match the story and graphics).

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon: Zero Dawn. The beautiful graphics and vibrant world are the only thing the game has going for itself.

None. I'll drop that real fast.

Horizon is a good game but I may not have played the entire thing if it weren't so good looking.

Horizon.

It was beautiful but even the aesthetics started to annoy near the end.

Horizon Zero Dawn. I wouldn't call it terrible, I'd call it decent, but I'd usually trade a game like that in after a few hours. But it was pretty enough that I was happy to be in the world and see what it had to offer until endgame.

Horizon Zero Dawn for me too.

The game is not terrible but it's not special at all.

Horizon for sure, one of the most overrated games in this generation but it does look good enough to play it for that reason, and the gameplay is serviceable which is nice I guess, it's no Ryse at least.

Hoping they get better writers in the sequel and change the protagonist.

These posts make no sense to me. Half of them are "well it's not terrible but...". Then why post it? The thread is asking for legitimately terrible games that you played for the visuals (if ever), not pretty games that turned out bland to you.

The other posts make me wonder what the word "terrible" actually means to you. Like, Sonic 06 is a legitimately terrible game. It's buggy, falling apart at the seams, controls poorly and is an overall shoddy product, that had visuals (at the time) that could be considered pretty good. That's a match for this thread. You're putting Horizon in the terrible category, next to 06 or some shitty tie-in game or something?

boring (to you) =/= terrible

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
Some of ya'll are weird as hell. Who on earth is playing through a "terrible" 40-50 hour game in its entirety because of graphics? People have way too much time on their hands.

My answer = None. I finish virtually every game I play, but if I have a game I'm not enjoying, I don't keep playing it.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
These posts make no sense to me. Half of them are "well it's not terrible but...". Then why post it? The thread is asking for legitimately terrible games that you played for the visuals (if ever), not pretty games that turned out bland to you.

The other posts make me wonder what the word "terrible" actually means to you. Like, Sonic 06 is a legitimately terrible game. It's buggy, falling apart at the seams, controls poorly and is an overall shoddy product, that had visuals (at the time) that could be considered pretty good. That's a match for this thread. You're putting Horizon in the terrible category, next to 06 or some shitty tie-in game or something?

As hyped as I was for HZD, the game was terribad, imo. I cringed my way to the end though. Couldn't even be bothered to try the DLC, that's how bad the main game was for me.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These posts make no sense to me. Half of them are "well it's not terrible but...". Then why post it? The thread is asking for legitimately terrible games that you played for the visuals (if ever), not pretty games that turned out bland to you. The others make me wonder what the word "terrible" actually means to you.

Like, Sonic 06 is a legitimately terrible game. It's buggy, falling apart at the seams, controls poorly and is an overall shoddy product. You're putting Horizon in the terrible category, next to 06 or some shitty tie-in game or something?

boring =/ terrible

Yeah, now that I think about it, I think that using the word terrible is too harsh, boring would be better, and to be honest that should've been the thread's title, Crysis and The Order are games that were heavily mentioned in this thread too and they aren't "terrible" either but they fit the boring bill all right.

It's just that I was disappointed considering how most of the PS4's exclusives have some pretty great writing and with all the Witcher 3 comparisons at GAF, yeah, this game would've been loved by people even after the honeymoon phase had it not been overhyped.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bouncer PS2
Magna Carter Tears of Blood PS2 (kind of liked it)
BloodBorne PS4
Final Fantasy X PS2
Final Fantasy XII PS2
Final Fantasy XV PS4

Of course they're more but I can't remember the names.

Edit: Oh shit... I misread the thread title. Only the Bouncer for the PS2 really applies to the question.

Oct 25, 2017
As hyped as I was for HZD, the game was terribad, imo. I cringed my way to the end though. Couldn't even be bothered to try the DLC, that's how bad the main game was for me.
Again, a word like "terribad" implies a game that's like, broken. It's either glitchy, uncontrollable, poorly designed, etc. Horizon are these things to you? You sure you don't just mean to say it was bland or boring? On a competency level, the game is nearly bug-free and functional, which I think actual terrible games would have trouble achieving. Or have you just never played an actual broken game in your life?

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

and terrible to you might mean great to others. The OP didn't really set out strict guidelines. I found P5 to be pretty terrible but love EDF games. People have different opinions. For me, being boring is a huge factor. I'll take jank and bugs any day, if the game is a blast to play.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Again, a word like "terribad" implies a game that's like, broken. It's either glitchy, uncontrollable, poorly designed, etc. Horizon are these things to you? You sure you don't just mean to say it was bland or boring? On a competency level, the game is nearly bug-free and functional, which I think actual terrible games would have trouble achieving. Or have you just never played an actual broken game in your life?
I don't follow that line of thinking that "in order for a game to be terrible, it has to be broken" idea. To me, if a game is just awful in the form of characters, story or gameplay, or a combination of those, a game can be really bad. I don't believe in participation trophies.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't do that, though I haven't really seen any games that happened to excel in graphics and be bad in most other aspects. At least not to the point of being terrible by any means.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I don't follow that line of thinking that "in order for a game to be terrible, it has to be broken" idea. To me, if a game is just awful in the form of characters, story or gameplay, or a combination of those, a game can be really bad. I don't believe in participation trophies.
This. For me, fun factor and gameplay reign supreme. Everything else is a bonus.

Deleted member 35777

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Order86 , Ryse, Ni No Kuni 2, FF13 Series, Super Mario Oddysey, StarWars BF2, HellBlade, GTA4, UC4, Gears of War 3, Last Killzone on Vita and Spaltoon 2 (Single player only).

Oct 25, 2017
No, it just clouds the meaning of words and confuses conversation with hyperbole. But if Horizon is a terrible game to you, then you do you. I'm curious how you'd describe actually broken games like Sonic 06 or Andromeda at launch.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
never for graphics but I have finished games I didn't like the gameplay of because I was into the story, telltales walking dead comes to mind. I mean everything is complete garbage about telltale games except the story.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I cant remember.
Ryse? But the game wasnt actively bad (most of the time).
I tried doing the same for KZ:Shadowfall but that was too terrible for me.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Order86 , Ryse, Ni No Kuni 2, FF13 Series, Super Mario Oddysey, StarWars BF2, HellBlade, GTA4, UC4, Gears of War 3, Last Killzone on Vita and Spaltoon 2 (Single player only).

this is why the thread should have said "games you hated" instead of "terrible games" because Odyssey being terrible is pretty out there

Oct 26, 2017
I can't imagine playing through a game just because of how good its graphics are. I've forced myself to beat games that I didn't like but had great graphics simply because I've purchased them and wanted to get my money's worth but never because of their graphics

Oct 27, 2017
I think including the word "terrible" in the title basically sabotages the thread.

One disappointing/mediocre game that comes to mind for me, though, is Actraiser 2. I still play that game to this day, basically because it looks good—the gameplay is merely serviceable.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
The Order 1886. I wouldn't call it terrible because I really enjoyed the last few chapters. But the only reason that I made it there was because of the graphics.
FFXV , Graphics and hope for a tone shift were the only things that carried me through that game.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
this is why the thread should have said "games you hated" instead of "terrible games" because Odyssey being terrible is pretty out there
Wouldn't you describe something you hate as terrible. It doesn't really matter here. The point seems to be about putting up with something you found to be terrible just because it was pretty. Subjectivity should be allowed.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
No, it just clouds the meaning of words and confuses conversation with hyperbole. But if Horizon is a terrible game to you, then you do you. I'm curious how you'd describe actually broken games like Sonic 06 or Andromeda at launch.
never played that Sonic game, and at launch, I stayed far away from Andromeda. I waited a full year to play that game, and to be honest I had an absolute blast with the game. Probably enjoyed it more than the trilogy.

Best example I can give of a broken game, at launch, was Fallout: New Vegas on PS3. LOL was that game messed up. Despite that, I soldiered through and plat'd the game anyway and loved it. :D

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I don't think I've ever done this for a game I considered terrible. The closest I may have come was Muramasa, since it is a game that I likely would not play were it not for the art-style, but I still enjoy playing it so don't think it counts.

Miyamoto's answer would have to be Donkey Kong Country though

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't you describe something you hate as terrible. It doesn't really matter here. The point seems to be about putting up with something you found to be terrible just because it was pretty. Subjectivity should be allowed.

hate is still hyperbole, its just more honest to describe something subjectively.