• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamyard

Jul 15, 2020
I'm glad Atlus has realized it's better to release on multiple platforms and not strictly PS. And I say that as a PS5 owner.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
2028 is gonna be lit!
431646576495165441.webp

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The main character is not a woman and I get the feeling a lot of Reset won't like the type and amount of DLC planned

So....not FeMC?

Obviously you'll be able to 'play' as an Anne/makoto/Chie equivalent during combat or dungeon exploration or whatever, but that seems....incongruous with your earlier statement.

edit:

Unless you mean that of the 'two protagonists', the guy is the main protagonist, and the girl is the deuteragonist/antagonist 'mirror' chasing him down a la, idk, something like Light/L?

Basically the second main would be a Naoto/Goro detective equivalent?

(totally spitballing here, if that wasn't clear)

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
You can play as a woman outside of combat and dungeons

....This seems like sidestepping.

Of which I understand, kinda, and no shade, but....

What I was getting at is that 'FeMC', in Persona context (to me, at least, and I imagine to a good chunk of others) means more than just playing a one of the female party members during dungeons, or hangouts like darts or what have you, or even a 'segment' of the story where the cast is separated, or something like 'The Answer' situation.

It's having the option to play as a female 'main' character, and having the story reflect that - of which it seems, with your added clarification/hedging, likely to not be the case.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I honestly thought for sure that Sony would try to moneyhat Persona 6.

Glad they didn't, let the series grow by being on more consoles
Well we don't know if Sony didn't at least try. Atlus had so much success on other platforms now that they probably thought it isn't worth it. I'm glad Persona 6 isn't getting treated like FF because long term the franchise will just grow.
I remember when Sony was talking about how important the Persona series is for Playstation as a platform. I guess they didn't want to pay enough to make P6 exclusive. Either way, I'm glad more people can play it on their platform of choice, it would be even better if it releases on PC day one too.
Atlus can deny deals with platforms holders if they think the exclusive strategy is stupid. We'll never find out but I'm guessing Atlus just weren't interested regardless of what Sony would've paid.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019

Since throwing their games on as many platforms as possible, they've seen their IPs absolutely crushing it sales-wise. I think the days of them being exclusive to one platform are long gone.

ShinkuTachi

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 29, 2017
It'll eventually be multiplatform, sure. After being a PlayStation exclusive for couple of years.

I don't believe for a second it's launching day and date on all platforms.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think it was ever in the cards for them out of sheer timing; Sony would've had to buy exclusivity years ago at a time when they wouldn't have had any need to buy exclusivity because nobody thought there was any chance of Persona showing its face on any non-PlayStation platform.

They would've had to be savvy enough to gamble on it happening around the time we were hearing early Persona/Xbox rumors, but before Sega dumped everything RGG on Xbox, because once that happened, Sega/Atlus was likely already eyeing Xbox for future multiplatform releases and any deal would've been either too expensive for Sony, or no longer on the table at all, and the deal would've been seen as too expensive even before this because, again, there was no reason to believe Persona would ever launch on Xbox so why waste the money?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Atlus is learning

No matter how good they are, making JRPGs that aren't on Switch is just foolish at this point

The turn around from Atlus old ways of locking games to single platforms (and often not even the ideal platform for release) to being very multiplatform focused has been pretty gratifying!

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021
If they release Persona 6 on all platforms day one with English localisation, it might even become bigger than any FF game ever (except the MMOs).

QuadOpto

Nov 7, 2017
And they're both dudes?
Hmm, interesting.

Normally when an rpg does two protagonist one is a boy and the other is a girl.

Going by what Head On The Block is saying, there's a second playable character that would be a girl, but not to the level of FeMC from P3P. Which could mean that either A: they have limited mechanics compared to the male protagonist or B: going w/ other potential leaks, however they're doing something with the social/calendar system that will make it more "open".

....Course, this is all based off leakers, & what I'm extrapolating from their stuff, so take it w/ a grain of salt. (I know I would, but I was proven wrong w/ the P3R leak a year ago so idk)

ShinkuTachi

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
thisll be a good test to see if ff being exclusive is choking it if this sells as well or better than ff especially in japan if true

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Best selling jrpg of all time if it really launches on everything day and date? Especially if it's also launching on PC.

Kline

AVALANCHE
Sep 15, 2022
Honestly for a third party to go exclusive to one platform, especially one with as low an attach rate as the PS5, is suicide now. Particularly for a Japanese developer/game.

If even Atlus, one of the most stubborn of the lot, are embracing multiplatform you know it must make zero sense to do otherwise.

In any case, this is good news for the game and gamers alike. Switch 2 can't come fast enough.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Best selling jrpg of all time if it really launches on everything day and date? Especially if it's also launching on PC.

No. Despite all the recent doomed threads, it's extremely unlikely to get anywhere close to final fantasys recent numbers, let alone the Pocket monster in the room.

Persona 5 with releases across 3 generations and counting a full on second version which will have naturally had a ton of double dippers in what, 7 years? Is "only" at around 7m while ff16 cleared 3m in a week. FF7 remake did 7m in about two years. Final fantasy is just punching on another level.

If the P3 remake DLC approach is anything to go by and they don't actually try and force people in to buying the game twice, I'd expect persona 6 to actually contract a little lifetime even if everything else goes perfectly

Last edited:

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
You can play as a woman outside of combat and dungeons

You can play as someone who is not the main character outside of combat and dungeons?

That seems like a dramatic change to the structure of the game? Unless I don't understand.

But I don't even know an example of a currently existing game that does something like that, at least a game like Persona.

Like, if you're implying you can live the social lives of any of your party members, that sounds really cool.

Kirby64

Aug 16, 2020
wym its totally gonna blow out pokemon red and blue

You know, is there a reason why people tend to just... forget that Pokemon is a JRPG? Maybe because as a franchise it just stands so far above literally everything else in the genre (and most other media franchises in general)?

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
wym its totally gonna blow out pokemon red and blue

You know, is there a reason why people tend to just... forget that Pokemon is a JRPG? Maybe because as a franchise it just stands so far above literally everything else in the genre (and most other media franchises in general)?
I think people treat it as more of a "monster RPG" even though it is by definition a Japanese RPG. Also because the games are primarily aimed at kids so it has a bit of a stigma in that regard, I suppose.

But yeah, JRPG discussion tends to ignore the elephant in the room with Pokemon. And I'm not talking about Donphan...

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
I think people treat it as more of a "monster RPG" even though it is by definition a Japanese RPG. Also because the games are primarily aimed at kids so it has a bit of a stigma in that regard, I suppose.

But yeah, JRPG discussion tends to ignore the elephant in the room with Pokemon. And I'm not talking about Donphan...
Oh, so Copperajah

879.png

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
A contract thing prevented it from being day and date, for now.

The Xbox move was recent, Switch 2 could be day 1 in Japan.
I don't think so

Contract thing never happened for Persona as SEGA Sammy decided to have all of its major IPs releasing simultaneously and worldwide for multiple platforms since the start

The only potential deal possible right that now is what Nate cited for Xbox Game Pass

ShinkuTachi

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 29, 2017
You can play as someone who is not the main character outside of combat and dungeons?

That seems like a dramatic change to the structure of the game? Unless I don't understand.

But I don't even know an example of a currently existing game that does something like that, at least a game like Persona.

Like, if you're implying you can live the social lives of any of your party members, that sounds really cool.

One thing that's important to keep in mind going into P6, is that we have a new director, which will mean some new direction and likely some drastic changes on some level. I'd be surprised if we just ended up getting P3 Redux again, with Hashino no longer involved. It wouldn't make sense.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
After 5 did like 6-7 mil in sales it would feel dumb to just tie it to one system again

I wouldn't be surprised if its best selling platform was the switch 2