• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamnit can we not have the actual jerkoff pic in here

Even after watching the movie multiple times I've never gotten used to it

y3k

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_n6r4wyKyxk1rl8ahxo1_500.jpg

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha. My friend shared this. Sorry if this was posted already, haven't been through every page.

"When I first heard Evangelion is coming to Netflix"

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Watch the main series, then watch End of Evangelion.

Death and Rebirth is a recap-ish movie, which has the first part of End of Evangelion in it. Watch it if you want. The credits song is the big reason to watch it now.

The Rebuild of Evangelion films are their own thing, for the most part. You'll get a bit more out of them if you've watched the series before.
No Rebirth on Netflix, it seems. Just Death.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix is getting better and better, I'm really curious if the new movie will come to Netflix a few weeks/months after the japan release.
Whoa there, they haven't even got the first three Rebuild movies yet, and those were released before you were born.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this such a big deal? Isn't Evangelion easily found on like hundreds of "non-official" anime streaming sites?
Honestly, I had the same thought.

I figure it's a mix of it meaning not having to sub to something else, re-watching it and a lot of new people will get to see it.
Precisely because of that. It's not available legally anywhere outside of Japan. This release will be available worldwide.
Oh, it's really not on Crunchyroll? Weird.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I had the same thought.

I figure it's a mix of it meaning not having to sub to something else, re-watching it and a lot of new people will get to see it.

Oh, it's really not on Crunchyroll? Weird.

The last release of the show in the US was on DVD in like 2005. Once that went out of print, you've pretty much been out of luck if you wanted to watch it legally. Unless you wanted to drop a stupid amount of money on the DVDs.

There are plenty of shows that are in licensing limbo/hell, but Eva was probably the most notable one.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Why is this such a big deal? Isn't Evangelion easily found on like hundreds of "non-official" anime streaming sites?

So, there's this thing called the law.

But that aside, quality is variable on unofficial sources, and the content is not as easily visible or accessible as compared to putting it on a service like Netflix. And there hasn't been an legal and accessible way for watching Evangelion in many international countries since the DVD release a decade ago.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not questioning how the law is applicable in this case, I'm stating a fact that the anime is easily found online everywhere.

Ah, but it is big deal precisely because this is the first time in a long while that the show has been legally and officially made accessible for international viewers. As opposed to trudging through the murky unofficial channels that you brought up.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that the release of the series on Netflix will help to realign the discussion surrounding the show, which I believe has gotten really off-track in recent years.

There's been lots of discussion of the series over the decades but the further we get away from the airing of the series the further discourse has moved from actually examining the series as a TV show. As this thread demonstrates, a great deal of the discourse has turned towards the meta-elements of the series such as: the director's state of mind, or the Christian imagery, or the fan response to the ending - none of which is an actual engagement and discussion of the series on its own merits. I'd be far more interested to hear how people feel about the direction, or the pacing, or the way the characters develop - things that are now common parts of discussing and dissecting a TV show.

It would be great if people can come to this series with a fresh perspective, unburdened by all the baggage that's built up over the years, so that they can just talk about the show itself. I'd strongly recommend that anyone who hasn't watched the show before and wants to, to do the same. Don't fall down the rabbit hole of endless meta-discussion, just check out the show and see how you feel about it - that's all.

I nah your at your nah. Most anime youtubers (especially the larger ones like Digibro and Gigguk) are tiresome windbags who bloviate ignorantly on 'hot' topics in a desperate search for hits.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that the release of the series on Netflix will help to realign the discussion surrounding the show, which I believe has gotten really off-track in recent years.

There's been lots of discussion of the series over the decades but the further we get away from the airing of the series the further discourse has moved from actually examining the series as a TV show. As this thread demonstrates, a great deal of the discourse has turned towards the meta-elements of the series such as: the director's state of mind, or the Christian imagery, or the fan response to the ending - none of which is an actual engagement and discussion of the series on its own merits. I'd be far more interested to hear how people feel about the direction, or the pacing, or the way the characters develop - things that are now common parts of discussing and dissecting a TV show.

It would be great if people can come to this series with a fresh perspective, unburdened by all the baggage that's built up over the years, so that they can just talk about the show itself. I'd strongly recommend that anyone who hasn't watched the show before and wants to, to do the same. Don't fall down the rabbit hole of endless meta-discussion, just check out the show and see how you feel about it - that's all.
I went in mostly blind so all the meta discussion surrounding the show was lost on me, which is also why I really like the film but I'm still not a fan of many choices it made.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's def not random name drops, but it's hilariously obvious when you have things like the Lance of Longinus, which was a normal spear a Roman soldier used to poke Jesus, not some giant two-pronged weapon suitable for a mech.

It is not just a 'normal spear' of a Roman soldier though. It is the mythical Spear of Destiny, which possessed supernatural powers. Constantin the Great, Martel and Hitler possessed it and used it to rise to power! (Well not really of course... but the thing is like the Holy Grail, so it is not that weird it was used in Eva)

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
Ace! Will rewatch, AGAIN!

It is really weird to realise that precisely 20 years ago, I was already going thru my first rewatch of this show on French TV. Then after that, it became apparently a real bitch for TV channels and distributors to license. Go figure.

y3k

Oct 25, 2017
Come to think of it, was it ever explained anywhere what the angels were?

They're the offspring of Adam, in contrast to humans who are the offspring of Lilith. Whereas humans have the 'fruit of knowledge' so they can build shit, angels have the 'fruit of life', giving them weird-ass powers.

There's also extra-canonical sources that state that the moons (The Black Moon and the White Moon) Lilith and Adam arrived in were built by the 'First Ancestral Race' as part of a galactic seeding/terraforming project--and that they were never intended to land on the same planet. Even more extra-canonical sources state that there's (iirc) seven moons total.

Oct 27, 2017
They're the offspring of Adam, in contrast to humans who are the offspring of Lilith. Whereas humans have the 'fruit of knowledge' so they can build shit, angels have the 'fruit of life', giving them weird-ass powers.

There's also extra-canonical sources that state that the moons (The Black Moon and the White Moon) Lilith and Adam arrived in were built by the 'First Ancestral Race' as part of a galactic seeding/terraforming project--and that they were never intended to land on the same planet. Even more extra-canonical sources state that there's (iirc) seven moons total.

That's kinda opening up more questions than it answers but it was my fault for expecting a straight, comprehensive answer from this franchise...

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
EVA is actually not that complex. What trips people up is that they think it's just a simple mecha show.
this. this. this.

People are so accustomed to "fuck yeah giant robots" that when they're given a show that features giant robots but is actually about human psychology they lose the plot.

The AT Field isn't simply a force field that the angels and EVA units produce, it's the psychological barrier that people put up between each other.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed the video on Netflix's initial tweet is up to 2.73 million views, dang. There's clearly plenty of interest for this.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix sometimes distributes their original content on disc right? Is there ANY hope they could be the ones to finally distribute the Eva bluray in the states?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed the video on Netflix's initial tweet is up to 2.73 million views, dang. There's clearly plenty of interest for this.
It's arguably the most influential, not important, influential, anime in the western hemisphere in terms of peoples tastes and views on the medium this side of DBZ/Naruto. It's a huge get, people definitely want to see it to finally "get it".

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
EVA is actually not that complex. What trips people up is that they think it's just a simple mecha show.

Agreed. There's a lot of reading between the lines and psychological angst that goes on. The common meme is Get in the fucking robot, Shinji, but it's about more than that. It's honestly kind of hard to understand if you don't have depression, which is probably why it resonates with me so much.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't watched anything Evangelion in probably 15 years. I might give this another go, never did check out the movies.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this. this. this.

People are so accustomed to "fuck yeah giant robots" that when they're given a show that features giant robots but is actually about human psychology they lose the plot.

The AT Field isn't simply a force field that the angels and EVA units produce, it's the psychological barrier that people put up between each other.
Because people suck eggs at understanding subtext. It's why modern western action films and TV series have pretty much abandoned it.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Netflix sometimes distributes their original content on disc right? Is there ANY hope they could be the ones to finally distribute the Eva bluray in the states?
I may be wrong but I don't think Netflix themselves has ever distributed any physical media. But critically, they clearly don't stop anyone else from releasing discs of even exclusive shows they've helped fund. I see there's a Castlevania Bluray available from Viz Media, for example.

This still makes me hopeful for a bluray release from some publisher, because it means the rights holders are talking to people to get the content out there, and with Eva on Netflix creating additional buzz, I could imagine seeing a disc on store shelves a year from now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The Japanese rights holders have been very stupid with this license, at least until now.

I may be wrong but I don't think Netflix themselves has ever distributed any physical media. But critically, they clearly don't stop anyone else from releasing discs of even exclusive shows they've helped fund. I see there's a Castlevania Bluray available from Viz Media, for example.

This still makes me hopeful for a bluray release from some publisher, because it means the rights holders are talking to people to get the content out there, and with Eva on Netflix creating additional buzz, I could imagine seeing a disc on store shelves a year from now.

Incorrect. They have some shows on DVD/BR

https://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B01M1XQ8F1

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, Wikipedia says Lilith is the second angel but I remember there not being a consensus back then. I stand corrected then.

But now I wonder what the hell is that thing on the opening.
Lilith being the second angel is only established within the Rebuild films IIRC. In the show it's just meant to be an inference that you can interpret in whatever way you want.