Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
Would people generally agree with this? I know I've not seen 3 / 4 and I fancy watching something new.
It's a very solid top 5, I'd say probably some of the more 'standard' picks for favourites. If I had to pick just one film to add as a lesser watched one that seems to be very highly rated by all those who do watch it, I'd say 'The Tale of Princess Kaguya'. When me and a friend watched it together for the first time, we sat in stunned silence for a full 2 mins after it finished because neither of us wanted to break the spell.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Interesting to see those comments about Kaguya/Wind Rises/Only Yesterday.

I really think probably half of Ghibli's output are masterpieces, all in their own right.

Miyazaki's best was between Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away for me. Wind Rises is also fantastic.

Takahata, as far as I'm concerned, had flawless output at Ghibli.

Lastly, Kondo's Whisper of the Heart is also a masterpiece.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
1. Whisper of the Heart
2. Only Yesterday
3. Princess Kaguya
4. Porco Rosso
5. The Wind Rises
6. Pom Poko
7. Nausicaa
8. Grave of the Fireflies
9. Princess Mononoke
10. Kiki's Delivery Service
11. Totoro
12. Spirited Away
13. Laputa
14. Castle of Cagliostro
15. The Cat Returns
16. From Up Poppy Hill
17. Howl's Moving Castle
18. Arriety
19. Ponyo
20. My Neighbors the Yamadas
21. When Marnie was There
22. Ocean Waves
Still haven't watched Tales from Earthsea. But I'll just assume it's 23.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
I finished my rewatch as well, so here is my final ranking of the 22 Ghibli films:

1. Spirited Away
  2. Grave of the Fireflies (Not on Netflix)
  3. My Neighbour Totoro
  4. Only Yesterday
  5. Princess Mononoke
  6. Kiki's Delivery Service
  7. The Wind Rises
  8. The Tale of The Princess Kaguya
  9. Castle in the Sky
  10. From Up on Poppy Hill
  11. When Marnie Was There
  12. Arrietty
  13. Howl's Moving Castle
  14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  15. Whisper of the Heart
  16. My Neighbors the Yamadas
  17. Ponyo
  18. The Cat Returns
  19. Pom Poko
  20. Ocean Waves
  21. Porco Rosso
  22. Tales From Earthsea

Oct 25, 2017
México
I finished my rewatch as well, so here is my final ranking of the 22 Ghibli films:

1. Spirited Away
  2. Grave of the Fireflies (Not on Netflix)
  3. My Neighbour Totoro
  4. Only Yesterday
  5. Princess Mononoke
  6. Kiki's Delivery Service
  7. The Wind Rises
  8. The Tale of The Princess Kaguya
  9. Castle in the Sky
  10. From Up on Poppy Hill
  11. When Marnie Was There
  12. Arrietty
  13. Howl's Moving Castle
  14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  15. Whisper of the Heart
  16. My Neighbors the Yamadas
  17. Ponyo
  18. The Cat Returns
  19. Pom Poko
  20. Ocean Waves
  21. Porco Rosso
  22. Tales From Earthsea
Howl's Moving Castle is my number 1 so far. It has the most amazing animation of all the Ghibli films I have seen.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
Howl's Moving Castle is my number 1 so far. It has the most amazing animation of all the Ghibli films I have seen.
More than half of the Ghibli films are great to excellent quality, so a persons number one really comes down to personal taste. Howl's is great, but as someone that grew up on Ghibli it felt quite similar to some of the other films already released for me, that's probably why when I watch/rewatch it it isn't as high up as Spirited Away or even something like Castle in the Sky for me.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the Ghibli library when you get round to them.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
I feel like I heard they're in the process of doing it?
It seems like they might have. Don't know how reliable this site is but:
"Independent animation distributor GKIDS will release Studio Ghibli's Ocean Waves, which has been unreleased in the U.S. until now. The film will play starting on December 28th at IFC Center in New York, and one night only in Los Angeles at the Egyptian Theatre, in a new 4K restoration."

Source: https://www.awn.com/news/new-trailer-gkids-distribute-4k-restoration-studio-ghibli-s-ocean-waves

That being said couldn't find any physical or digital copies of Ocean Waves for sale in the 4K format and this story was from 4 years ago. But I guess at least gives hope that there could be 4K copies of the library in the future, and it should be native 4K (one of the benefits of Hand-Drawn animation) hopefully they've also gone back and recoloured the films for a bit of HDR pop without looking too different.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
It's second from the bottom and I think war crime is a bit of an unnecessary exaggeration on your part. As I've said before Ghibli has such quality that I can understand almost any of the films as someone's number one it just comes down to personal preference.
Of course it was an exaggeration. It was a joke. :)

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Got around to watching Kaguya again. Not afraid to say I was open mouthed and on the verge of tears for the whole thing lol. The pacing is glacial - think period costume drama rather than kids' movie - but if you can meet it on it's own terms it's incredibly beautiful and heartbreaking.

I also learned today that it's the most expensive Japanese movie ever made. It shows!