DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The HBO thing is annoying, although I realize I can't get too upset as I already own every single Ghibli movie on blu-ray (except for the shitty ones that I didn't bother upgrading from DVD, like Yamadas).

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
This will be my chance to watch Studio Ghibli's output for the first time. I wanted to rent some of their movies before but couldn't in the past since it wasn't available on the UK iTMS store.

Nov 8, 2017
Great that more people will get to see these. I don't have Netflix and I've already have them on my Kodi box for years anyway.

Ownership rights for that film are interesting to say the least, because of its more mature tone it wasn't sold with the rest of the catalogue from what I can understand. Here in NZ it's the only Ghibli film I was able to buy on ITunes thus for me not a huge problem but it's a notable omission.
Interesting. It's also the only one I've seen available on an in-flight entertainment system.

Jun 24, 2019
Ooooh Yeeaaaa Ghibli binge

source.gif

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Porco Rosso this morning with my kids. Thank you, Netflix! I just hope all the Ghibli movies don't disappear from the service soon.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
I've watched Castle in the Sky and the start of My Neighbour Totoro and from what I can tell they both use the Disney dub which is pretty surprising but also very cool as those are for the most part the versions I grew up watching or at least the ones I rewatched (in the case of Totoro as it wasn't redone until the mid 2000s) hopefully the rest have the Disney dubs as well.

I've watched Castle in the Sky and the start of My Neighbour Totoro and from what I can tell they both use the Disney dub which is pretty surprising but also very cool as those are for the most part the versions I grew up watching or at least the ones I rewatched (in the case of Totoro as it wasn't redone until the mid 2000s) hopefully the rest have the Disney dubs as well.
Ghibli actually owns those dubs, so they're not needing to be licensed from anyone other than Ghibli.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Just saw My Neighbor Totoro.

I've wanted to see if for over a decade, but never got around to buying it or downloading it.

Loved it. Not exactly what I expected, but it was adorable nonetheless.

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
This is just fantastic.
The February movies are new to me, but the March and April selection is jaw-dropping.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Man it had been ages since I last watched Porco Rosso. I forgot just how fucking great it is.

I never knew Miyazaki had planned a sequel.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Laputa was very good.

Just now learned that Mark Hamil is in the English dub, might have to watch it some day.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Maybe theyr are going to redo all those flamboyant, literal italian dub made by Gualtiero Cannarsi.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
For someone who has never seen any of them, are there some to avoid or are they all good ?

Oct 30, 2017
For someone who has never seen any of them, are there some to avoid or are they all good ?

out of this first batch, you can skip ocean waves and tales from earthsea unless you become a hardcore ghibli fan. the other five (kiki, laputa, totoro, only yesterday, porco) are all incredible must-see timeless classics

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Man it had been ages since I last watched Porco Rosso. I forgot just how fucking great it is.

I never knew Miyazaki had planned a sequel.

It rules so much. Somehow both tickles the same pulp adventure part of my brain as Tintin and Indiana Jones and manages to be quite quiet and contemplative. Top tier Miyazaki imo.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Never seen any of their films apart from about half of The Red Turtle which was ehhh..

I'll give some others a look.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
out of this first batch, you can skip ocean waves and tales from earthsea unless you become a hardcore ghibli fan. the other five (kiki, laputa, totoro, only yesterday, porco) are all incredible must-see timeless classics
I don't know about Only Yesterday being a timeless classic. It's pretty divided I think. Just look at Wired and Guardian's rankings that were published a couple of days ago.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I saw this bump, and was wondering when NA was going to get this service unlocked. I've not watched a single Ghibli film, and was looking forward to getting started.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Do we know where the subs are from? Did Netflix retranslate? I've seen a post about mistranslations already so not sure...

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know about Only Yesterday being a timeless classic. It's pretty divided I think. Just look at Wired and Guardian's rankings that were published a couple of days ago.

the guardian put porco rosso at the bottom of their list, tales of earthsea in the top 10 and and howl's moving castle at #2, all of which i would say are far more controversial opinions than "only yesterday is awesome".

it's not everyone's cup of tea maybe but i love it and would put it extremely firmly in the "you should definitely watch it" list. my favourite takahata movie for sure.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

The Guardian list is all kinds of weird and the Wired one seems to have all the more grounded movies at the bottom (+ Earthsea) and all the more fantasy based movies at the top (+ Fireflies)

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
UK Netflix wins, going to watch these with my kids. They will love these movies.
I wonder if an Original will come from this deal?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nausicaa is such a wonderful, haunting movie. Its one of the few things that I have ever watched that I consider perfect.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
Do we know where the subs are from? Did Netflix retranslate? I've seen a post about mistranslations already so not sure...
I'm not sure haven't look at the sub side, but one member her mentioned in a reply that Ghibli themselves own the Disney dubs, so if that's the case I could imagine that Ghibli would have provided their own subs for the Japanese versions rather than Netflix having to make their own subs. This is just speculation on my part and hopefully someone who is more well versed in the subs and if they are correct can come and give a proper answer.