• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
This is what happens when you get rid of half your content and just make your own. Especially when a lot of them are crap.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
They lost 126K domestic subs in the quarter. I'm surprised to hear that. Sure, saturation is a concern for growth, but to actually lose subs, and we're still four months away from Disney+, wow. I thought even with the price hikes it was still good enough value and cheap enough.

dat boi I'm curious, do you and your sample set have other streaming services, or cable package? If you only had Netflix, are you spending that sub money on some other service or just doing without stuff to watch and saving the money?

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix isn't even expensive, the fact that people think it is really speaks to how subscription services and piracy have devalued media. $60 video games are next

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
This is what happens when you get rid of half your content and just make your own. Especially when a lot of them are crap.

To be fair, a lot of the content was pulled from them. Investing in their own content was really the only thing they could do. Once other media companies saw how much cash Netflix was pulling in, everyone wanted to build their own service to serve their content. The only way to stop content from leaving is to own it.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
with all the money, these next two years with HBO, Apple, Disney jumping on board, this is where they need to shine. This is the biggest test for them. Disney will be hard to beat, but HBO and Apple, they have a shot.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They lost 126K domestic subs in the quarter. I'm surprised to hear that. Sure, saturation is a concern for growth, but to actually lose subs, and we're still four months away from Disney+, wow. I thought even with the price hikes it was still good enough value and cheap enough.

dat boi I'm curious, do you and your sample set have other streaming services, or cable package? If you only had Netflix, are you spending that sub money on some other service or just doing without stuff to watch and saving the money?

Save money here, why pay if I'm not using it.

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017

Yep I'd say most of us had some combination of netflix, Hulu, ESPN, and HBO now (for game of thrones). I honestly don't know very many who still pay for cable, because it seems like my friends and co-workers prefer the streaming services. And until somewhat recently, everyone I talked to used to use Netflix predominantly for their needs but nowadays they seem to just subscribe once in a while instead of keeping their subscriptions going. This is just what I've noticed from word of mouth though.

Edit: Amazon prime is another one too, but that's probably just because everyone has that for the delivery anyway.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think the streaming bubble is not far from busting. Far too much fracturing. Too many price hikes.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
When literally everybody and their mother already has or shares an account. There's not really much room for growth. Especially since they now face intense competition which is making people really question which services they are subscribing to, really only wanting to pay for 1-3 at most, and then going back to the olden days of pirating the rest.

I think the streaming bubble is not far from busting. Far too much fracturing. Too many price hikes.
Seriously. These idiots are going to be their own downfall. People have shown quite clearly they don't want the cable model, they don't want to pay for a million services, and they don't want to have to use a million services and search for where what they want is hidden. They just want to pay the $30, then open one app. And. That. Is. It.

Anything else, and its more easier for them to pirate than be legal.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
They lost 126K domestic subs in the quarter. I'm surprised to hear that.
Combined with a significant slowdown in new subscriptions, that's why the valuation has declined.
Stock analysts are pretty sharp. If the stock price drops, it's because there's some smart people who are skilled at predicting good or bad decisions of a company.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, a lot of the content was pulled from them. Investing in their own content was really the only thing they could do. Once other media companies saw how much cash Netflix was pulling in, everyone wanted to build their own service to serve their content. The only way to stop content from leaving is to own it.

Still need to make good content.

Outside of a few big shows, Netflix has really shoddy quality. It's not really significantly better than cable or network TV, which is what people are looking for if they're going to subscribe.

Deleted member 11173

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I smell it now... Netflix - An Amazon (or Apple) Company - coming to you 2022. I think the next two years will be really hard for Netflix, but eventually, outside of Disney, streaming won't be sustainable for the smaller players and they will look to bring their content back to some of the bigger players.

By smaller players I mean CBS All Access, Whatever Comcast is doing with NBC Universal, and whatever else is supported on Hulu. Now that Disney is majority owner of Hulu that will end up getting swallowed up or merged into Disney+. It is definitely going to be interesting times.

Oct 25, 2017
With some of the recent cancellations, Netflix has lost a lot of the good will it once had and is starting to seem just like any other tv company. Self-inflicted wound imo.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
When literally everybody and their mother already has or shares an account. There's not really much room for growth. Especially since they now face intense competition which is making people really question which services they are subscribing to, really only wanting to pay for 1-3 at most, and then going back to the olden days of pirating the rest.

Seriously. These idiots are going to be their own downfall. People have shown quite clearly they don't want the cable model, they don't want to pay for a million services, and they don't want to have to use a million services and search for where what they want is hidden. They just want to pay the $30, then open one app. And. That. Is. It.

Anything else, and its more easier for them to pirate than be legal.

It;s almost getting to the point where having cable and on demand in one service is starting to sound appealing lol. I've actually thought about it.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Prices going up, increased competition, and loss of content taking their toll. It was only a matter of time before their user base dipped.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Still need to make good content.

Outside of a few big shows, Netflix has really shoddy quality. It's not really significantly better than cable or network TV, which is what people are looking for if they're going to subscribe.
It's a fraction of the price of a cable package though, and better value than HBO (certainly, if you've seen their great shows over the years until now). We have cable + HBO + Netflix + Amazon which is too much content, however that means I always have things I want to see on Netflix because it's not my only TV source. There's very little on Amazon Prime or Hulu that interests us.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long you will be able to subscribe for just one month. I only subscribe to the service for 2 months max every year to watch the exclusives that interest me.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Netflix couldn't continue by just hosting other's contentm. At some point they'd have nothing left.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped them after they canceled the Marvel shows and raised the price. Waiting on Disney+ now.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Netflix has a huge problem.with surfacing there content. Every time I open the app it feels like there are only 20 things on the surface that they just put into different categories to try to make there library seem larger than it is.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Disney+ is not the cause of Netflix decline.
Losing Friends, Office or whatever long run sitcoms will do.
I like Russian Doll but its one and done who gonna put on repeat day after day.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It should drop more to be honest, canning shows like santa clarita diet just to spend that money on friends/office, to lose that too, just lmao.
Netflix really needed to merge with Fox while they had the chance to survive the next 10 years imo, everyone is going to take their IP's away from Netflix to start their own service.

Yeah I'm salty too that Santa Clara Diet got canceled for what will probably be garbage new shows by comparison. SCD is so good, Netflix needed to promote it better instead of can it.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ is not the cause of Netflix decline.
Losing Friends, Office or whatever long run sitcoms will do.
I like Russian Doll but its one and done who gonna put on repeat day after day.
I think right now its the price increase. The effect of shows being removed isn't felt yet.

Price increases will drive people away. I even disconnected mine because of them, though I came back for Stranger Things.

Do you plam on keeping your sub more than a month though? I think this will be Netflix problem in the future and I can see them going to a weekly release schedule for shows like on tv.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I imagine this is an overestimation based on Stranger Things 3. Can't figure any other reason they and analysts were so bullish on new subs.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Cable was one service with 100-200 worth of channels you never watch full of ads, and they force you to subscribe to packages.

Still better but the price point is creeping upwards.

Cord cutters did it to save money.

People are too squeezed for money to subscribe tomany things at once too.

They are going to lose a lot people people on this plan when Disney+ comes out. It's more than double the price of Disney+ which will also have 4K HDR content.

I'm sure Disney+ will start creeping up in price over time.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I get Netflix free through T-Mobile. If I didn't I would have canceled after stranger things and waited for the next season. That's the problem with content system like this, they'll never be able to keep enough good content in the pipe. Any wins will be fleeting.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I dropped my sub down from the highest tier to the lowest this past month. I've been watching it less and less, and I'm likely to cancel it all together once Disney's service launches. If something comes out interesting enough to resub, I'll do so then drop it again.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I cancelled my subscription last month, I only enjoy 2 or 3 of the original shows so it was easy to drop after the recent price hike.

Oct 25, 2017
I unsubscribed. At that price it doesn't make sense to keep a month-to-month subscription.

Funnily enough, Netflix's own price increase made me choose between it and Hulu. Not that Hulu's content was better per se but there were shows on it that I wanted to continue watching currently and Hulu's price is better month-to-month. If there's something on Netflix that I want to watch, I'll switch subscriptions temporarily.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm keeping a subscription just cause I like what content is there and constantly added, but I'm so glad I sold all my stocks in Netflix a couple weeks ago cause I had a feeling about it.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Netflix should be scared. Alot of people signed up for other services just to watch Game of Thrones, and then dropped it when it was done. These people now got the idea in their head that hey, maybe we dont need netflix 12 months a year..

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
The price has gone from $8/month to $16/month over the entirety of its existence.

I feel like consumers have a very misguided and unrealistic take on what these services should cost. I agree that the prices we were paying for cable packages were severely bloated, but at the same time - $16/month is incredible value for how often I find myself watching Netflix. I'll straight up say it, but piracy has severely undervalued the cost of media for an entire generation. The amount of stuff we expect for a cheap monthly price is interesting to say the least.

Minimum wage hasn't noticeably increased in that time period (Yet) and Netflix targets the mass market

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yep I'd say most of us had some combination of netflix, Hulu, ESPN, and HBO now (for game of thrones). I honestly don't know very many who still pay for cable, because it seems like my friends and co-workers prefer the streaming services. And until somewhat recently, everyone I talked to used to use Netflix predominantly for their needs but nowadays they seem to just subscribe once in a while instead of keeping their subscriptions going. This is just what I've noticed from word of mouth though.

Edit: Amazon prime is another one too, but that's probably just because everyone has that for the delivery anyway.

Cordcutternews polled his followers and he found out that about 50% of Cable scrubbers also subscribed to a Netflix or Hulu. We just cancelled cable and we had Hulu, Netflix and amazon prime.

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
After the price increase the quality of the movies and shows has declined.

What really annoys me though is that you can't even organize your own list properly or make multiple lists.

Last edited:

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix will be fine. Worst thing that happens is that their stock price starts trading at a lower multiple. Which honestly it should. It made no sense that Netflix almost had a market cap as high as Disney's

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I don't know what netflix can do, bar pulling more rabbits out of the hat that reach the success of early house of cards/stranger things

they don't have the exclusives. disney and others are going to beat them here 100%.

rights to shows are also getting more and more expensive as there's more competition in the streaming marketplace.

I really only use it for anime now, and only because my parents/sister use it too. If they didn't, I wouldn't pay for it.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix will be fine. Worst thing that happens is that their stock price starts trading at a lower multiple. Which honestly it should. It made no sense that Netflix almost had a market cap as high as Disney's

Their free cash flow is something to be concerned about though. Netflix is throwing money at anything they can in order to get more content and hopefully more subscribers. That strategy clearly isn't working anymore.

I, unfortunately, see them being acquired/merged sometime in the near future to bring down costs. Large media companies can develop and stream their own content because of built-in efficiencies. Netflix doesn't have this advantage.