• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This is what happens when you get rid of half your content and just make your own. Especially when a lot of them are crap.
Their stock would be about 0 right now if they relied on other companies content.

Their early, bold realization that they had to create their own quality content to get ahead of the streaming wars was a move of sheer genius that cannot be understated how key it was.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy singular stock unless you've maxed an IRA and 401k contribution, even then you could probably find a better investment
Or max your IRA contribution and buy singular stock. My IRA doubled over the last 3 years thanks to Apple. ;-)

Disclaimer: This isn't actually a good idea. I just got lucky.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix is in a very tight spot. It's starting to reach the point with all these competitors hoarding their content for themselves that their only play will be to double or triple the amount of original content vs today. But to do that they will have to keep raising prices more and more than they already have. With Disney+ undercutting so much (though I'm sure they'll go up over time) and HBO Max launching and whatever else (the rest like apple+ and so on), it's going to become a harder sell for people when they do the content math of should I pay this amount and get these 3 streaming services, or this amount and just get Netflix. The original content would have to be pretty damn glorious.

Considering their most watched shit is the office and friends, and that's the kind of stuff they will have to say goodbye to...not a good look. Not all doom and gloom, they can afford to fail for a long ass time but it's not as cushy a spot as the good ol days. They need to keep on their toes.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Their stock would be about 0 right now if they relied on other companies content.

Their early, bold realization that they had to create their own quality content to get ahead of the streaming wars was a move of sheer genius that cannot be understated how key it was.

It seems it could be biting them in the ass now though. People subscribe for stuff they've heard of, not unknowns.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Who all plans to cancel when Disney+ launches? Thats when I cancel mine.

Pretty much. I basically use them as a lazy man's Redbox at this point. The other services are going through a revolving door. I think subscription reselling and management services are going to become a pretty cutthroat market.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Lets see
1. Price hike
2. Cancelling a ton of their original shows that people subbed for (all their marvel shows, One Day at a Time, Santa Clarita Diet, Unreakable, Fueller House, Lucifer, etc) and then their big shows that are ending, like Orange is The New Black. They are literally cutting off soooo many shows this year it is absurd, they have cut more original shows this year then any other year, especially when it comes to comedy shows which sucks cause Santa Clarita/Unbreakable were two of my favorites.

I wonder why they didn't gain as many subs...can't put my finger on it.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Friends and Office being the most viewed on Netflix wasn't surprising.

What was surprising was that 'New Girl' was 4th or 5th highest viewed on Netflix

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I smell it now... Netflix - An Amazon (or Apple) Company - coming to you 2022. I think the next two years will be really hard for Netflix, but eventually, outside of Disney, streaming won't be sustainable for the smaller players and they will look to bring their content back to some of the bigger players.

By smaller players I mean CBS All Access, Whatever Comcast is doing with NBC Universal, and whatever else is supported on Hulu. Now that Disney is majority owner of Hulu that will end up getting swallowed up or merged into Disney+. It is definitely going to be interesting times.

Allegedly the studios want to kill off physical media to further entice people to watch their small player services as well. It's probably a ways off yet but it's coming. The ugly future..

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Blocking account sharing is their only hope of "infinite" growth. They've pretty much already reached market saturation at this point.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Lets see
1. Price hike
2. Cancelling a ton of their original shows that people subbed for (all their marvel shows, One Day at a Time, Santa Clarita Diet, Unreakable, Fueller House, Lucifer, etc) and then their big shows that are ending, like Orange is The New Black. They are literally cutting off soooo many shows this year it is absurd, they have cut more original shows this year then any other year, especially when it comes to comedy shows which sucks cause Santa Clarita/Unbreakable were two of my favorites.

I wonder why they didn't gain as many subs...can't put my finger on it.

I agree with pretty much everything you pointed out, but management's thought process is pretty clear. They seem convinced that the only way to generate new subscriptions is to constantly create new content. They think that new seasons of old shows will not bring in new subscribers.

I think it is a terrible methodology, and is made even worse by the the general decline in quality of Netflix's output. Not to mention the biggest problem is that they are producing a fairly large amount of content, but are not really advertising it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
This will just be an issue for most companies going forward, right? Like its a flowed system. Continuous growth isn't possible, especially if your raising prices.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Is now a good time to buy Netflix stock for a newbie like me?

Buying any stock now is a bad idea. Were getting to the end of the longest business cycle in recent history , with a yield curve that's been inverted for over 2 months now, and with the central banks only options, being QE 2.0. Recession is coming. Buy other asset classes.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I agree with pretty much everything you pointed out, but management's thought process is pretty clear. They seem convinced that the only way to generate new subscriptions is to constantly create new content. They think that new seasons of old shows will not bring in new subscribers.

I think it is a terrible methodology, and is made even worse by the the general decline in quality of Netflix's output. Not to mention the biggest problem is that they are producing a fairly large amount of content, but are not really advertising it.

Yep, and then when that new content doesn't get big numbers they are canning them quicker then ever.

Netflix used to feel like a safe haven for their original shows, even if they were niche or weren't pulling "GoT" numbers you didn't fear them being axed. Now it's the complete opposite, it's almost as bad as Fox was when they had decent shows on there (firefly, etc).

That means that they aren't giving shows time to grow an audience nor are they allowing niche shows a life on their platform. As long as they aren't losing money on a show even if it has a smaller audience they should allow them to grow, that's how you get people to stay on board you give their niche shows a home and make it the only place to see them and support them. A lot of small shows can add up to big subscription bases since no other network serves them.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No. Netflix stock is still super expensive. Even after this bad quarter the stock is still priced in a way where Netflix is expected to retain a high growth rate in subscribers for years to come. Which doesn't seem likely with everyone else pulling their content while starting their own streaming services and competing with Netflix for subscribers

If you want to get stock in a company with a video streaming service. Go with Disney.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Friends and The Office being the most viewed on Netflix and I'm wrong? Ok.
What did you mean, then? It's obvious people don't just subscribe to watch the Office -- they subscribe to watch original content and then stay on to keep watching The Office over and over.

Don't you agree with that? That's why that poster was saying that it was a genius move because now that they're losing that content, they won't lose all their subscribers. Obviously, they'll lose some, but I'm sure they have a very thorough retention plan.

My point is -- people won't necessarily subscribe to the new platform only because it has Friends. They'll do that if they have interesting original content and the opportunity to watch Friends over and over again.

Anyway it's just a win / win for us and for content creators.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't understand why people said that there wasn't enough new in Netflix until I found out that shows I watch on Netflix are in other streaming apps in the US

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If they want to maintain customers year round maybe do discounted pricing if you commit for longer than a month like a lot of other subscription services do.

I'm expecting them to somehow crack down on account sharing too. Not sure how Maybe put some type of device limit on the base plans to inconvenience people so that people who want more have to pay for the UHD plan to get more devices or something.

Netflix should be scared. Alot of people signed up for other services just to watch Game of Thrones, and then dropped it when it was done. These people now got the idea in their head that hey, maybe we dont need netflix 12 months a year..

Why would they all of a sudden start thinking this now though? People have been doing this with GOT and other HBO shows for YEARS. I know I have. Unless you're not just talking about HBO. Then yeah, added competition is going to make this more and more of thing. That being said it affects other services too. Stuff's become so fragmented that you can't even get all the broadcast networks anymore on Hulu unless you pay for the much pricier LiveTV sub.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I wouldn't advise investing here. Wall Street tends to punish companies with slowing growth and high valuations. The next month is probably going to see more earnings warnings which will pressure the market, and with Disney+ just 4 months away why buy the stock now?

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
What did you mean, then? It's obvious people don't just subscribe to watch the Office -- they subscribe to watch original content and then stay on to keep watching The Office over and over.

Don't you agree with that? That's why that poster was saying that it was a genius move because now that they're losing that content, they won't lose all their subscribers. Obviously, they'll lose some, but I'm sure they have a very thorough retention plan.

My point is -- people won't necessarily subscribe to the new platform only because it has Friends. They'll do that if they have interesting original content and the opportunity to watch Friends over and over again.

Anyway it's just a win / win for us and for content creators.

I'm saying it's the opposite of what's being stated. People sign up for the stuff they've heard of and they want to watch again or even for the first time, but they stay for all the original content too that they didn't know about until they subbed. Not the other way around. Now because the stuff people have heard of is shrinking, they aren't getting as many new subs. It's biting them in the ass now.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Investing is a complete ponzi scheme. These companies are forced to sell people on the idea that infinite growth is possible. Being a publicly traded company means that being profitable is no longer a deal breaker, or even particularly important in many cases.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
netflix is like nintendo, always doomed, even pachter makes cameos with them too. Amazing

In the meantime, they're far and beyond the best streaming service outside the us, and in someplaces the only option. So, as seen in their international growth, they'll be fine

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I haven't paid for Netflix in months. The only stuff I really like on it would be Bojack, stranger things and arrested development. They're so spaced out that I'm usually unsubscribed long enough to get another free trial like I did with Stranger Things.

That trial just ended today too. Haven't touched it since the 4th anyway.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
too many choices
too many moochers
OG netflix content is too hit or miss- they badly need quality control

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Yeah I've been watching this closely. First time i think Netflix has had a domestic sub contraction. They offered sub guidance in April too not sure how they missed so badly. I cancelled my sub though after they are charging me 15.99 for a 4k HDR stream. I'll only sub for a couple months a year now, binge what I want, and quit.
Sorry if anyone else pointed this out but this is actually the second time Netflix has ever contracted. unfortunately for Netflix the first time was expected because it happened when they separated the DVD rental business from Netflix as we know it now. My gut says this one is due to content. Feels like Netflix haven't had any big attention grabbing shows these last few months. So people are not subscribing/cancelling.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
It should drop more to be honest, canning shows like santa clarita diet just to spend that money on friends/office, to lose that too, just lmao.
Netflix really needed to merge with Fox while they had the chance to survive the next 10 years imo, everyone is going to take their IP's away from Netflix to start their own service.
Santa Clarita's final season was garbage... And my wife and I loved the first two seasons

Netflix's problem is that their original content is all over the goddamn place as far as quality, that and in many cases, waaay too fucking long.
Like, we FINALLY finished Lost in Space and it was terrible. Not just because it's a complete missed opportunity given the material, but also because it's stretched over 10 hours (and it they take the full hour) when it could easily been 4 at most.
Then, they keep making these throwaway ass movies with recognizable names that are shit. Or say their big tent pole release like Defenders, which also sucked AND still felt too long at only 8 episodes. I dunno, I hate binge culture and it definitely feels like their content it designed around the gross culture of people who want to sit on their ass for 3-4 hour stretches..

I'm Soo close to canceling are sub at this point, but waiting to see how The Witcher turns out.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly who doesn't have an account yet? Moreover, how can they expect aggressive yearly growths when Netflix is so accessible?
Growth was always going to be from International subscriptions and not US based. There's still a wide market out there world wide that there's plenty of room for growth.

yes, im fully expecting a "home" feature to being added soon to being able to stream content or something. Because a LOT and I mean a LOT of people share accounts........most folks i know are spread across 4 houses.

This part has always baffled me how even $10 a month was too expensive.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This came out a few months ago:

There is new software aimed at tracking down Netflix users who are sharing accounts and passwords.

They call it "casual credential sharing" and they say it's becoming too expensive to ignore.

The new technology was unveiled at the consumer electronics show in Las Vegas.

Software maker Synamedia says the artificial intelligence system looks for potentially fraudulent activity.

When it finds you, you could be asked to upgrade to a premium account that allows for sharing.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would prefer Netflix to release like 10% of the new original series that they currently do each year, and instead focus on the quality. They have waaaaaaay too many mediocre shows and it's too hard to track them all.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like consumers have a very misguided and unrealistic take on what these services should cost. I agree that the prices we were paying for cable packages were severely bloated, but at the same time - $16/month is incredible value for how often I find myself watching Netflix. I'll straight up say it, but piracy has severely undervalued the cost of media for an entire generation. The amount of stuff we expect for a cheap monthly price is interesting to say the least.

Whilst understanding concerns about multiple subs, questions of ownership and price hikes, ultimately I do agree with this

I'm 37 who was a child who used to spend ÂŁ14.99 on buying one VHS tape. As a value proposition I can spend my adult years paying less than that for hundreds of shows and movies for the month, and I'm still relatively happy with Netflix's output (UK) although I can definitely see a decline

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% All these paid sub are starting to catch up to what Cable costs once you factor in needing multiple paid subs. Its getting out of hand.
You get more content with these subscriptions than you will ever get with cable, plus yeah its even cheaper.

(It comes to a point that people are trying advertise false lies to help cable companies for free, Jesus christ people.)

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Their content sucks these days, most interesting shows are getting cancelled left and right so I'm not at all surprised by this.

They need to search for quality and diversity. Those 10+ sci-fi shows and Adam Sandler movies aren't going to cut it.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It seems to me they thought they could grab the casual viewer given all the shitty cooking shows they have been pumping out. For me, as an existing subscriber, the drop in quality programming is very evident.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, their content is kinda garbage lately. Only a couple shows I am interested in left on my list.

They wasted billions of dollars on securing outside content, which is not gonna disappear. I feel like there is going to be a VERY rough year or two as the big content leaves before Netflix is able to ramp up its original content.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, they keep increasing the price year after year, but at the same time I see them releasing less and less shows that actually interest me all that much.

They're also missing a true blockbuster show that captures the zeitgeist. In that regard they've got Stranger Things and, well, not much else really.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
The mix of people accessing Netflix illegally and gleefully admitting it, people happy Netflix might die, people being stans for a Disney Plus and people acting like Netflix didn't do an incredible job changing the game and making video streaming a thing is shocking.

If Netflix dies it is not a good thing. At all.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Wtf. Ouch yeah Disney+ and some of these other services are going to eat Netflix's lunch.

The two are obviously related. Expenditures are growing because competition is coming in and they are developing shows at a record pace. Thats the only move they have.

Disney plus looks to be a pretty meager offering, way too family friendly for my taste with anything with edge going to HULU. Lets see how long supporting TWO streaming services is going to work out.