• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
EEluR8AU8AI7sXU

Dat Ifrit design, and detail on Aerith's dress.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Whatever anyone says.... After this remake, I am watching Advent Children and pretending it is a movie sequel.

It makes too much sense for me not to consider it canon lol.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Advent children not canon? When did that happen?

It's not that it isn't canon, but rather the Remake exists on its own and isn't confined to the Compilation's canon.

So we essentially have two canons for FF7. The Compilation which covers all of the past games and supplementary materials, and the Remake which will be its own thing.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope I'm wrong about this game, since I've been skeptical from the start. The combat was the weakest part of the original, so they could hardly do a worse job with that, and it seems like the new system is well-thought out. The piecemeal releases still worry me, but the biggest issue will be nailing the tone and atmosphere of the original. The move to fairly generic epic orchestration over the suitably synthetic sounds of the PS1 game are a bad sign, but the environments look nice so far, if a little cramped. Adding extra story elements in a story already packed with themes will also be challenging and might lead to feature creep across the staggered releases.

With all that said, they seem to be doing about as good a job as possible of bridging the generational gap. The faithfulness to old monsters and bosses in particular is really heartening and awesome. I'm excited to see how well, within their chosen confines, they'll be able to pull it all off.

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
It's not that it isn't canon, but rather the Remake exists on its own and isn't confined to the Compilation's canon.

So we essentially have two canons for FF7. The Compilation which covers all of the past games and supplementary materials, and the Remake which will be its own thing.

So advent children is canon to the original ff7, and ff7r will start canon 2.0 kinda thing?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So advent children is canon to the original ff7, and ff7r will start canon 2.0 kinda thing?

Essentially, yes. All the Compilation stuff connects to the original PS1 game.

The remake is its own thing. It may adapt elements from the Compilation but the new script was not written to slot neatly in with those games and movies automatically.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
But there's a lot of moving parts to anything like this; the question mark over this release is of course the story additions and padding, stretching 4 hours of story into 40+ hours of game. That'll be where the game really soars or doesn't, I guess - not just in how satisfied fans are with the story changes and additions
and that's the problem..they never tried to do this b/c the original was too much and too long so why "fix" this problem by stretching out the easiest part to churn out. There's no way they are expanding things in part 2 when they have so much to get through so it'll most likely be cutting shit like mad in parts 2 and 3 then maybe trying to charge people for the stuff cut as DLC

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
and that's the problem..they never tried to do this b/c the original was too much and too long so why "fix" this problem by stretching out the easiest part to churn out. There's no way they are expanding things in part 2 when they have so much to get through so it'll most likely be cutting shit like mad in parts 2 and 3 then maybe trying to charge people for the stuff cut as DLC

This is honestly why I think the smartest call would've been to have Part 1 end at the Cargo Ship. You would be able to basically do the game in 1/3 chunks, and it would cut down on the sheer volume of STUFF in the middle of the game that needs to be adapted.

There's no way they can adapt the story in 3 games with part 1 just being Midgar unless they cut a TON OF STUFF from the middle of the game. It's going to either be 4 games or part 2 and 3 are going to be hacked to pieces.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The move to fairly generic epic orchestration over the suitably synthetic sounds of the PS1 game are a bad sign
Yo the battle theme sounds so dope and incredibly faithful to the original. Now if they go with an orchestrated version of the boss theme instead of just being rock THEN there is a problem. So far all the music has been spot on. We haven't really heard much of the more synth songs.

Last edited:

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
its pretty simple: REMAKE is a reboot of the original ffvii storyline.

I don't know why they just won't use the term 'reboot'. Maybe because the term is mostly used in Hollywood.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
This is hard to say IMO because the next episode for part 2 could be a huge open world on nextgen. Or probably will be.

It could go over the bulk of the story with its own climactic half-way point. We shall see. That one will probably get more DLC.

I hadn't really thought about that. Have they given any hints about how they might handle the overworld? A true open world?

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is hard to say IMO because the next episode for part 2 could be a huge open world on nextgen. Or probably will be.

It could go over the bulk of the story with its own climactic half-way point. We shall see. That one will probably get more DLC.
Yes, but we can exclude 2, because there's 90% of the original game left and they Said they wanted to expand. 3 parts with small expansions is possible, but i agree with planet the way they are expanding makes 4 games more likely.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yes, but we can exclude 2, because there's 90% of the original game left and they Said they wanted to expand. 3 parts with small expansions is possible, but i agree with planet the way they are expanding makes 4 games more likely.
Some parts could be smaller, some parts omitted, some parts changed. Yuffie and Vincent will appear in a more focused way, they'll appear more to the point. We do not need a 15 hour forgotten forest dungeon and Midgar will be the biggest city in the world likely. Perhaps even open-ish.

Atm I still think the bulk of what folks know will be in the next game after this March one. That being said, everything will be grand and much bigger.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The new Final Fantasy VII expanded universe is everything I didn't know I wanted or needed.

If they can successfully forge complete games out of these events (the first game being Midgar, the second game being to the City of Ancients, and so forth), then I will be fine waiting twenty years for each installment.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
The new Final Fantasy VII expanded universe is everything I didn't know I wanted or needed.

If they can successfully forge complete games out of these events (the first game being Midgar, the second game being to the City of Ancients, and so forth), then I will be fine waiting twenty years for each installment.
City of Ancients would be a huge swath. I could see ending before the prison after Gold Saucer as it would include Kalm, fort confirm, Junon (which can be fleshed out heavy), mountain to old coral storyline and obviously Gold Saucer. Midgar itself isn't too long besides the Shinra building so a lot of added content is going well have to pad the length. Replaying now on PC and surprised at how fast it's all moving, no real break between the reactors and sector 5

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I just really don't see any value to zones. If there's no clear delineation between dungeons and the overworld then dungeons are meaningless, and that's basically what happened in every single modern Tales game and FFXII. It's just hours and hours and hours of drudging through areas that all look and feel identically to each other, and the entire world is just endless highways and hallways.

There are some things I'm never going to come around on, I'm afraid. Zones are simply an inferior way of designing a world.
Fair enough. I actually thought I edited this in my post, but yeah, one of my biggest problems with XII (apart from the wasted potential in plot and characters as a whole) was how dungeon-like everything felt. The actual vistas were good, but the zones felt too restricting and way filled with halls (not to mention the flying balls signaling the beginning of other zones) and I sadly never truly felt I was walking through a continent as much as I should have. There was no place for a rest, or true exploration.

But I think my approach (or what I think they could do) is different from that, as it would essentially amount to smaller open worlds and not zones per se. Or at least I wouldn't want to have different zones between Kalm and, say, Chocobo Farm. I don't think it'd be impossible to create big-ish zones out of the original's map by using physical features of the planet as barriers and connecting them through caves, bridges... to ensure a more transparent transition. Like the first continent, say, having two or three zones (the Midgar one (with Midgar unaccessible by using cliffs) and the Junon one):
map1.png

That would only put in jeopardy the flying, but, not taking this into account (although that could be done like I said earlier with a more abstracted approach), I'm more than convinced that something like this could be feasible (even if they need to tweak the geographical features to create more zones or whatever) and still feel like you're travelling a planet.

I'm willing to give my trust to Nomura and the team on this if only because I honestly felt KH3 was a worthy game of its title (my problems with it are honestly problems I have with the entire series, so whatever) and because the relaunch of VII-R has impressed me a lot in aspects I thought I was doomed to hate like I did with the entire Compilation or some of their modern games.

It's just a shame we don't have an overall plan of they intend to do with regards to this game's sequels. They surely have one, as much as Kitase's words don't inspire much confidence.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
City of Ancients would be a huge swath. I could see ending before the prison after Gold Saucer as it would include Kalm, fort confirm, Junon (which can be fleshed out heavy), mountain to old coral storyline and obviously Gold Saucer. Midgar itself isn't too long besides the Shinra building so a lot of added content is going well have to pad the length.

I think the Tiny Bronco crashing after Rocket Town is the most logical place to cut off an episode, since the City of the Ancients is way way too far into the story.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right. The problem is that Midgar is like the first 5% of the story so 55% of the game being condensed into one episode just seems unrealistic. They'd have to cut a ton of stuff to make it work.
Midgar is actually around 30% of the script. It's just condensed into short dungeons and cutscenes in quick successions. The rest of the game has like... running around the world map that makes playing through them much longer.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar is actually around 30% of the script. It's just condensed into short dungeons and cutscenes in quick successions. The rest of the game has like... running around the world map that makes playing through them much longer.

Script density and content density are two very different things, though. Midgar has a lot of talking, yes, but the rest of the game has more actual game to it.

I don't want stuff like the silly rail car area on Mt. Corel being cut just so Aeris can die quicker.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Script density and content density are two very different things, though. Midgar has a lot of talking, yes, but the rest of the game has more actual game to it.

I don't want stuff like the silly rail car area on Mt. Corel being cut just so Aeris can die quicker.
That's just it. They don't have to add anything to or cut anything from the rest of the game. Just add content density to Midgar.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I imagine the open world will be traversed by Cloud's bike. They're gonna have to add more roads.

They can follow the basic blueprint of FFXV's open world, but actually fill it with interesting stuff. And if they want the scope of the world to make sense, they can probably logically separate different areas with a "scene transition" to pretend that you just drove on your bike all night to get to another area, rather than FFXV's gas stations and towns all unrealistically within one minute's drive of each other.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's just it. They don't have to add anything to or cut anything from the rest of the game. Just add content density to Midgar.

What I'm saying is that remaking the rest of the game at the same level of detail and scale as they are with the Midgar episode isn't feasible. Not if they want to do the ENTIRE FIRST HALF OF THE GAME in one episode. Things will have to be cut.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
For all we know, 5-10 hours into FFVIIRemake, Shinra has a parade on one of the highways and Avalanche has to break it up. Or perhaps we hear of a laboratory offsite off shinra corp, and avalanche has to investigate to see of Hojo is there or something.

I just made up 2 random story moments. I think they can add a lot :D That new soldier we see though is cool.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is that remaking the rest of the game at the same level of detail and scale as they are with the Midgar episode isn't feasible. Not if they want to do the ENTIRE FIRST HALF OF THE GAME in one episode. Things will have to be cut.
What I am saying is them adding things to Midgar doesn't mean that they have add things to the rest of the game with the same proportion. It's not like one can stretch a 6 hours game into a 40 hours game just by upping the level of details and scale. They would add explorations, quests, minigames; things that don't exist in the original game.

The rest of the first half of the game doesn't need to have that many additions. They already have their explorations, quests and minigames. Just upping the scale can easily stretch those 20 hours playtime to 40.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
In the original, Midgar is much more content rich and clear in focus than the rest of the game. So part 1 being linear, and then the future games being a larger scope open world (less focused, less detail) like FFXV would make sense to me. On the other hand, cutting out all the filler of wandering around a blank world map and just sending you to the important locations in a linear fashion would be fine too, and the player wouldn't be missing out on much. "Wow, I can fly around this big empty world map" isn't the same magic trick that it used to be.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I'm telling y'all: don't sleep on the Wutai War being the end of the second game. No real flying until game 3. I expect vehicle travel in game 2. I can see the Tiny Bronco being a boat again. As far as zones go, I don't expect the FF XII-style zones. I expect more like FFXV but more linear. Like if you try to go to the Chocobo Farm before Kalm, no new story dialog will happen but you can still go and hang out. I expect free traversal of the general area, sorta like the FF VII overworld but in 1:1 scale.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In the original, Midgar is much more content rich and clear in focus than the rest of the game. So part 1 being linear, and then the future games being a larger scope open world (less focused, less detail) like FFXV would make sense to me. On the other hand, cutting out all the filler of wandering around a blank world map and just sending you to the important locations in a linear fashion would be fine too, and the player wouldn't be missing out on much. "Wow, I can fly around this big empty world map" isn't the same magic trick that it used to be.

I honestly disagree. Having a world map helps establish a sense of location and scale that an FFXIII-style "you're just here now because the plot says you need to be" progression of isolated linear "levels" completely lacks.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"Wow, I can fly around this big empty world map" isn't the same magic trick that it used to be.
Still works on me :P

I'm telling y'all: don't sleep on the Wutai War being the end of the second game. No real flying until game 3. I expect vehicle travel in game 2. I can see the Tiny Bronco being a boat again. As far as zones go, I don't expect the FF XII-style zones. I expect more like FFXV but more linear. Like if you try to go to the Chocobo Farm before Kalm, no new story dialog will happen but you can still go and hang out. I expect free traversal of the general area, sorta like the FF VII overworld but in 1:1 scale.
I'd like to see, at the end of Midgar that the party continues on to Kalm with Cloud on the motorcycle and everyone else still piled into the little blue pickup truck.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly disagree. Having a world map helps establish a sense of location and scale that an FFXIII-style "you're just here now because the plot says you need to be" progression of isolated linear "levels" completely lacks.
I think there' a better execution of that linearity than XIII, especially with a pre plotted story with beats and locations to draw upon, but this is all hypothetical.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're predicting that they'd alter the story so the Wutai War hasn't ended yet? Wouldn't that have a lot of repercussions to the plot? Like, Sephiroth is explicitly famous and idolized by people (including child Cloud) because he's "the hero who ended the Wutai War".

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really think Part 2 would start and end with Nibelheim (Past and then Present).

Start part 2 off with the big Flashback from Cloud talking about Sephiroth. This gives us the motivation and the major plot points of following him across the world. Flesh out the Turks a bit more in the Mythril Cave. Make Fort Condor a bigger deal. Junon is pretty much fine the way it is, as is Costa Del Sol. In fact, most of the Western Continent pacing is good. So once we get to Nibelheim and see it's nothing like Cloud described it, we could have another fight with Sephiroth (or the shadows of fate whatever that is) in the Shinra basement. Cut the game off from actually going up to Mt. Nibel maybe. Or maybe let the player climb Mt. Nibel but they can't get to the exit on the other side. That way they could see the reactor.

My only concern is character placement. I have a strong feeling we're not getting Red XIII in Part 1 of the remake, but then where do we put him? A lab in Junon maybe? Honestly, it wouldn't be hard to put him literally anywhere as a captive of ShinRa now rescued. Cait Sith can show up in Gold Saucer again and that's fine.

If the game ends at Nibelheim, that means no Cid (which is fine, he would be a great addition to Part 3 for a gameplay refresh). But then what do we do about Vincent and Yuffie?

It would be weird introducing Vincent so close to the end of the game (same as Red XIII for Part 1).

Part 1 - Midgar (Playable Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aerith)
Part 2 - Kalm thru Nibelheim (Playable Red XIII, Yuffie, Cait Sith added)
Part 3 - Rocket Town thru Huge Materia (Playable Cid, Vincent added)*
Part 4 - Return to Midgar, everything else, end game

The Rocket Town start and finish might make for some good synergy too. Starting the game off with Cid telling his story about the failed Rocket, and then ending the game with the Rocket Launch.

I actually like the idea of adding characters into the next parts of the remake because it lets you play as every character in the game more easily instead of deciding your party of 3 from the beginning and avoiding change ups.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think it is too early to say that there will be 3 more parts at least. We are looking at 30-40 hour stories per game and 2 discs for this first one. I just find it hard to believe that it would be 4 products and releases at a full price for FFVII. Even with flashbacks, I would not be surprised if the next PS5 game is most of the story.