• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Choose your house, Era

• #TeamEdelgard (Black Eagles)

Votes: 837 58.7%
  • #TeamDimitri (Blue Lions)

Votes: 145 10.2%
  • #TeamClaude (Golden Deer)

Votes: 444 31.1%

• Total voters

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
There's some plausible deniability that he's a PoC as of right now, sure, but he's certainly darker complected. It's at least good that various PoC can look to him — a main character — and see representation, even if less ambiguity would be ideal.

I hope he is. Fire Emblem has had positive examples of PoC before, but has also struggled with the trope of darker skin being codified as evil. Just like there's SoV's Leon for positive queer rep, but otherwise: Fates' was existent but largely awful, and prior examples were all subtextual — which gave people hope, but also frustratingly gave detractors deniability.

I think that's why there's a bit of hope penned on Claude right now. He could be a rad example of both, one... or neither. We've seen relatively little of the cast, though, so who knows what's in store.

I see Claude as middle eastern/Indian the fact his culture seems to be diffrent from vasseldom like the others is promising

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
We need more characters like Devdan, well that look like Devdan, well that aren't so racially ambiguous. Like Danved.

FE's world view has always been painfully limited and Three Houses isn't exactly looking much better on that front sadly. The cast so far incredibly homogeneous, though I guess it's nice knowing much of Claude's group are commoners for what that's worth. Was really hoping Hoshido was the start of some branching out culturally/ethnically.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's some plausible deniability that he's a PoC as of right now, sure, but he's certainly darker complected. It's at least good that various PoC can look to him — a main character — and see representation, even if less ambiguity would be ideal.

I hope he is. Fire Emblem has had positive examples of PoC before, but has also struggled with the trope of darker skin being codified as evil. Just like there's SoV's Leon for positive queer rep, but otherwise: Fates' was existent but largely awful, and prior examples were all subtextual — which gave people hope, but also frustratingly gave detractors deniability.

I think that's why there's a bit of hope penned on Claude right now. He could be a rad example of both, one... or neither. We've seen relatively little of the cast, though, so who knows what's in store.
yeah, I meant it could definitely be either PoC or white just by looks. didn't mean that I only think it's a tanned white guy

to me it's probably 50/50. there are definitely tanned white guys who look like that, but also plenty of middle-eastern/arabic guys

I don't really see any other race though. well maybe light-skinned Northern Indians

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Tellius world and storytelling was a different level of approach that no FE game tried before and that I doubt a game will try again.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
We need more characters like Devdan, well that look like Devdan, well that aren't so racially ambiguous. Like Danved.

FE's world view has always been painfully limited and Three Houses isn't exactly looking much better on that front sadly. The cast so far incredibly homogeneous, though I guess it's nice knowing much of Claude's group are commoners for what that's worth. Was really hoping Hoshido was the start of some branching out culturally/ethnically.
I suppose you do have popular characters like Lyn who are analogous to steppes people (perhaps more respectful than, say, Dothrakis or what have you), but it's definitely limited overall. Though I'm sure there will be recruitable units further into the game outside of the aristocratic school structure. I guess it will remain to be seen if they will be more of the established inhabitants of the continent's Scotland, England and Germany analogues.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
#TeamClaude because him and his country seem like genuine outliers for the series.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
A woman designed Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn's characters too, IIRC.

...his hair is the best of the three, IMO. To each their own?

I love the Young Knight aesthetic (Ky Kiske from Guilty Gear also comes to mind)

I think the issue with the wii games were how difficult and was way more about the tactics and how hardcore the game was. While SorenxIke was popular the game was inaccessible to larger audiences and the lack of marketing hurt it.

Also the new games have also become shipping simulators where you can turn the combat to really easy. Which is great as it adds a whole audience.

To the people who rant the relationships to be dialed down honestly your in for a shock. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw alot more clear lgbt relationships and alot of 'strong same sex friendships'.
The waifu husbando part of fire emblem is a huge reason why it's now so popular.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Avatars are fantastic and everyone whining about them should really rethink it. It allows for immersion, gives casual players the option of playing either gender and can be characterized well if done right (robin). Doesn't mean that the concept is shitty cause we had corrin.
I'll never understand why people always prefer random main characters over MCs. Makes me feel that the concept is way better received by the general public (in contrast to forum bubbles where I see consistent handwringing over avatar characters. Always.)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A woman designed Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn's characters too, IIRC.

...his hair is the best of the three, IMO. To each their own?

I love the Young Knight aesthetic (Ky Kiske from Guilty Gear also comes to mind)
Women have designed characters for a number of Fire Emblem games. The Fire Emblem Expo in Japan will have an exhibit of the Thracia 776 artwork done by Mayumi Hirota.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
lmao exactly my thoughts. what a crazy turn this series has taken since it hit the 3DS. What a shame.
I must be one of the rare people who loved pre-awakening FE and don't mind the recent push of feature that saved the IP.
Plus it's not like it's shoved to our face, they never talk about romance so far with this game, which is weird if it was a big point.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Not at all currently. I feel like if there was a "date your students" feature in this game, it would have been advertised in Japan by now.
Fates didn't have their romance system advertised until like a week before release.

That said, the Direct trailer showed a support heart from a student at some point so yeah it's probably in.

BigBluePig

Jul 5, 2018
Not at all currently. I feel like if there was a "date your students" feature in this game, it would have been advertised in Japan by now.

Ironically, in Japan a lot of women-oriented media has a heavy focus on teenage girls dating their hot and totally-not-morally-corrupt teacher, so with this game's obvious attempt to appeal toward Japanese women (moreso even than previous games) I absolutely expect student-on-teacher stuff which is basically the one type of commonly used taboo romance tropes I actually hate.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Maybe the problem is that Japan is obsessed with school settings. I swear 90% of their anime is in some sort of school or academy and this bleeds into games as well.

Same thing with zettai ryouiki. There's nothing wrong with the thigh gap, I actually like that element of fashion, but when every single fucking anime or anime game has girls in them it starts to get on my nerves. That and school uniforms are everywhere and more often than not combined in a single character. Jesus.
Lol no. School setting are outdated for a years. Except SoL things. But it's new for fire emblem.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
The female main character's outfit must be one of the most godawful designs I have ever seen. That random midriff and holes in her shirt look so fucking stupid not to mention the random dagger that could pierce her belly button at any time. WHAT THE FUCK ARE THOSE TIGHTS TOO?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
Tellius is great, but FE4 and 5 still beat it in that regard.

Yet the female avatar seems to have much more revealing clothing for no reason still?

Women can have bad fashion designs too, just because its designed by a women does not mean its without its criticisms. Hey the designer could like it?

BigBluePig

Jul 5, 2018
Yet the female avatar seems to have much more revealing clothing for no reason still?

That outfit was 100% designed with counter-culture Japanese women nerds in mind. I know people see revealing clothing and immediately assume the character is designed for men, but Femleth has an outfit that is based on things Japanese women wear and find cute, and that Japanese men aren't really in to.

Also, showing off your belly button isn't a "sexy" thing in Japan, at least not the way it is in America.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That outfit was 100% designed with counter-culture Japanese women nerds in mind. I know people see revealing clothing and immediately assume the character is designed for men, but Femleth has an outfit that is based on things Japanese women wear and find cute, and that Japanese men aren't really in to.

Also, showing off your belly button isn't a "sexy" thing in Japan, at least not the way it is in America.
It still doesn't make sense for a teacher to wear this

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still prefer how tellius approached themes like racism, 4 and 5 have good stories but the themes they aproached are still the typical fire emblem themes

Gonna have to show me what other fire emblems deal with the same things that manfoy did because damn I haven't been paying attention then.

Women can have bad fashion designs too, just because its designed by a women does not mean its without its criticisms. Hey the designer could like it?

Sucks that she couldn't bother giving her more functional armor. Still hope that one day we'll go back to FE9's design wise in regards to this.

BigBluePig

Jul 5, 2018
It still doesn't make sense for a teacher to wear this

I mean, I'm not saying I like the armor. I think all of the outfits in 3 houses look mediocre to bad. Definitely my least favorite designs and art style in the series.

Sucks that she couldn't bother giving her more functional armor. Still hope that one day we'll go back to FE9's design wise in regards to this.

FE9 armor is not functional lol it's actually really terrible and unrealistic. Heck, aside from Echoes and some armors in Awakening and Fates, most armor in fire emblem is terribly impractical.

Also, just a nitpick: Femleth isn't wearing armor. Fire Emblem has a history of characters who fight without armor, and she seems to be joining those ranks. Edelgard and Claude are also unarmored, for the record.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FE9 armor is not functional lol it's actually really terrible and unrealistic. Heck, aside from Echoes and some armors in Awakening and Fates, most armor in fire emblem is terribly impractical.

I meant in the sense that it isn't revealing, mostly, and doesn't have boob armor. Titania's armor looks great.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tellius world and storytelling was a different level of approach that no FE game tried before and that I doubt a game will try again.

Hell with Japan's rising nationalism, if there was a remake, instead of Sanaki begging for the herons' forgiveness for the Serenes Massacre, she's gonna totes deny it and tell Reyson that he should get over it.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I've never played a FE game

and even I know they're used women in several of their main Japan ads for like a decade.
lol huh
The more interesting fact is that they chose Chinatsu Kurahana, an artist whose portfolio covered many otome games. It's a bigger indication as to which demographic they're targeting, which was only recently expanding since the 3ds era.