• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Nintendo reveal the Switch's successor this year?

• It's happening

Votes: 916 62.2%
  • It's not happening

Votes: 556 37.8%

• Total voters

Satoru

Jan 4, 2023
So.. why Nintendo of america don't have a profile picture on twitter and youtube ? I'm intrigue

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cq0uBb6MV8&ab_channel=Doctre81

ms0xVHW.png

gxkQFOk.png

De7FAGP.png

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Do the rumors still suggest it's just gonna be another normal handheld? I'd like there to be more to it, but it mostly just seems to be assumed to be a Switch with better internals.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Do the rumors still suggest it's just gonna be another normal handheld? I'd like there to be more to it, but it mostly just seems to be assumed to be a Switch with better internals.

Right now there's nothing that really confirms anything, but my bet is that yeah, it'll be a more powerful Switch. There's really no need for new gimmicks, the hybrid concept itself is enough.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
After how cheap SD cards where for the switch 1, buying storage expansion on the Switch 2 is going to hurt, isn't it? And I don't expect Nintendo to offer a lot of onboard storage......

The internal storage is most likely going to be the new microSD Express cards that have been revealed recently. They'll be pricier than normal microSD cards, but probably not horrifyingly so, and they have a nice speed of about 800MB/s.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
For once I'd like the gimmick to be that there isn't a gimmick
Switch had basically the least gimmick, while still having some unique aspects. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want a Switch DS where the console can break apart while docked ala Wii U tablet controller that basically transforms into a DS when in portable mode.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
After how cheap SD cards where for the switch 1, buying storage expansion on the Switch 2 is going to hurt, isn't it? And I don't expect Nintendo to offer a lot of onboard storage......

I expect 256GB of main storage whereas the late revision will have 512GB of main storage.

I don't see storage space being that much of an problem since Switch 2 games will have lower resolution textures, SFX quality and music.

Basically any ports of PS4 games will be smaller thanks to compression. The FDE block will decompress much faster than a single A78 core will do.

But yes buying storage will be more costly as it's a new format coming out

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
The Switch's gimmick is basically having the DNA of many last Nintendo consoles, they should embrace this with the next console having the ability to use the Console and the TV at the same time, like a reverse Wii U gamepad, this would allow compatibility with DS/3DS dual screens and Wii U gamepad gameplay. I would love them to add cameras and a 3D screen (I can dream).

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
After hearing about cameras being allegedly included in the new hardware, my mind immediately went to AR stuff when in handheld mode, and Kinect-style stuff when in console mode. 🤷

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
After hearing about cameras being allegedly included in the new hardware, my mind immediately went to AR stuff when in handheld mode, and Kinect-style stuff when in console mode. 🤷

The only thing to support the camera being used IMO is Zelda scans/takes photos of the murals underneath the castle and in the original game the Sheikah slat looked like a Switch. And I immediately thought that feature could be added to Tears of the Kingdom. I'm hoping for no camera. No gimmick that takes away even a fraction of processing power anf RAM to games. But that's just me. 🤷‍♀️

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm hoping for no camera. No gimmick that takes away even a fraction of processing power anf RAM to games. But that's just me. 🤷‍♀️

Cameras (especially the lowish-res camera the Switch 2 would likely use) are cheap as chips these days, due to their proliferation in mobile devices. I'm actually pretty surprised that the original Switch didn't have a pair of cameras. The IR sensor on the Joy-Con is way, way more of a gimmick, and the Switch had that.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Tweet just appeared randomly on my TL and I don't know them but random chip leakers seem to appear everywhere these days, but no clue if they have any legitimate history.

View: https://x.com/orexda/status/1783769461457404376?s=61&t=L0bPXDdqdqQM-JyYURxVeQ

They do say as early as H2 this year, which tbh even for a fake leaker is a dumb thing to suggest this late, so I think they are suggesting H2 based off component orders rather than information from developers others rely on. Just feels like even a fake leaker wouldn't try to stick to 2024 release at this point.

On the node size they say 7LPH, which as far as I can tell is an improvement over Samsung's 8nm (Samsung claims 50% less power consumption).

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Tweet just appeared randomly on my TL and I don't know them but random chip leakers seem to appear everywhere these days, but no clue if they have any legitimate history.

View: https://x.com/orexda/status/1783769461457404376?s=61&t=L0bPXDdqdqQM-JyYURxVeQ

They do say as early as H2 this year, which tbh even for a fake leaker is a dumb thing to suggest this late, so I think they are suggesting H2 based off component orders rather than information from developers others rely on. Just feels like even a fake leaker wouldn't try to stick to 2024 release at this point.

On the node size they say 7LPH, which as far as I can tell is an improvement over Samsung's 8nm (Samsung claims 50% less power consumption).

The OLED and releasing this year part makes me think this is fake.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The OLED and releasing this year part makes me think this is fake.
I think they just speak of component orders. Nintendo aimed for this year so there's probably sufficient components for a launch.

As for OLED, I admit that's trickier, but I won't be surprised if switch 2 OLED isn't too far behind the first launch this time, so they might already be ordering displays for that.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Add this to the rest of the piles we have where we need to "wait and see". Still, it's somewhat fun to know OLEDs aren't totally out of the picture.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I think they just speak of component orders. Nintendo aimed for this year so there's probably sufficient components for a launch.

As for OLED, I admit that's trickier, but I won't be surprised if switch 2 OLED isn't too far behind the first launch this time, so they might already be ordering displays for that.
I think we talking about at least a year, if not two or three. Many people double-dipped for the Switch OLED, and since Nintendo doesn't sell their hardware at a loss they are basically missing out on additional sales if they release it too early.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think we talking about at least a year, if not two or three. Many people double-dipped for the Switch OLED, and since Nintendo doesn't sell their hardware at a loss they are basically missing out on additional sales if they release it too early.
Hmm, maybe. Alternatively, it could be that they are launching 2 models, and developers only got one kit with LCD. Technically they don't need to know there's an OLED model coming as it requires zero work.
Connor is not to be trusted.
Oh? I honestly just had that tweet show up in my Twitter timeline and was like "oh great another new chip leaker I never heard of" but thought I might as well share it, didn't know they if they had (or on the contrary had negative) track record.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Of course Nintendo is going with an outdated Samsung fabrication node. Fucking hell.

I don't even know how the widely speculated T239 specs and SoC would even work on a old, inefficient Samsung node. It's either going to be downclocked significantly or we're going to be getting 2 hours of battery life.

And let me guess, this thing is going to have 8 GB of RAM as well....

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Of course Nintendo is going with an outdated Samsung fabrication node. Fucking hell.

I don't even know how the widely speculated T239 specs and SoC would even work on a old, inefficient Samsung node. It's either going to be downclocked significantly or we're going to be getting 2 hours of battery life.

7nm is at least better than 8nm.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Also, the first generation of Nintendo Switch was built on a 20nm node, and then was upgraded to 16nm node.

www.techpowerup.com

Nintendo Switch 2 to Feature NVIDIA Ampere GPU with DLSS

The rumors of Nintendo's next-generation Switch handheld gaming console have been piling up ever since the competition in the handheld console market got more intense. Since the release of the original Switch, Valve has released Steam Deck, ASUS made ROG Ally, and others are also exploring the...

So, getting to 7nm or 8nm or whatever, it's better than what we have right now.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
7nm is at least better than 8nm.
You are correct but not exactly.
They are both the same base node, 8nm, 7nm, whatever you wanna call it, it's essentially the same thing as far as I can tell. This is an improved node over the 8nm base that is used in the RTX 30 series.

semiconductor.samsung.com

Samsung Electronics Starts Production of EUV-based 7nm LPP Process | Samsung Semiconductor Global

The introduction of 7LPP is a clear demonstration of Samsung Foundry’s technology roadmap evolution and provides customers with a definite path to 3nm.
Per a Samsung article from 6 years ago they expected it to use 50% less power or be 20% more performant over the base node.
What's weird is as far as I can tell this node was not used.

However, the reason why this makes sense is because it uses the same logic node, then porting the GPU chip from the Ampere architecture becomes easy, whereas it would actually be a lot more complex to port the chip forward to 5nm and below as they use different logic.

I actually won't be surprised if there won't be another node shrink to 5nm because the R&D costs would be high as NVidia never did that as far as in aware (free to correct me on that), it's why PS5 is still using 6nm (TSMC process so these aren't comparable) and PS5 Pro might use the same node.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I think it's still way too early to take any info regarding the process node as a confirmation, even from reliable sources.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You are correct but not exactly.
They are both the same base node, 8nm, 7nm, whatever you wanna call it, it's essentially the same thing as far as I can tell. This is an improved node over the 8nm base that is used in the RTX 30 series.

semiconductor.samsung.com

Samsung Electronics Starts Production of EUV-based 7nm LPP Process | Samsung Semiconductor Global

The introduction of 7LPP is a clear demonstration of Samsung Foundry’s technology roadmap evolution and provides customers with a definite path to 3nm.
Per a Samsung article from 6 years ago they expected it to use 50% less power or be 20% more performant over the base node.
What's weird is as far as I can tell this node was not used.

However, the reason why this makes sense is because it uses the same logic node, then porting the GPU chip from the Ampere architecture becomes easy, whereas it would actually be a lot more complex to port the chip forward to 5nm and below as they use different logic.
But at the very least, we'd have efficiency benefits over 8nm that'd make the reported size of the system as well as the 12 SMs mentioned in the Nvidia leak make more sense.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
But at the very least, we'd have efficiency benefits over 8nm that'd make the reported size of the system as well as the 12 SMs mentioned in the Nvidia leak make more sense.
Yea, I'm just clarifying that it's not really 7nm vs 8nm, this is just a more efficient variant on the same logic.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
This would also make more sense if Switch 2 is purported to be backwards-compatible with Switch 1.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yea, I'm just clarifying that it's not really 7nm vs 8nm, this is just a more efficient variant on the same logic.
Fair, though my logic was more that "8nm wouldn't make sense based on what's being reported as well as what leaked from Nvidia". While not the absolute best-case scenario, 7nm would at least make some sense in accordance with the rest of what I mentioned.

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France

Can you explain what's a node and why it would be bad like I was 10 please