billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
You choose one character to start out with. You complete their first chapter and then you're free to move about the world and find the other characters. When you meet another character, the game will ask you to play their chapter 1. When you do, the main story stops and you essentially go back in time to play that characters first chapter. Once you finish that, you are returned to the present and that character then joins your party. So you are not continuously switching between characters.

Thanks, here's what I am getting:
Everyone has their own "chapter 1" where their respective chapter ends when the he/she joins the team. The 8 characters' story then merge into one.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Trying my best to avoid this demo but I'm not sure I can hold out

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Spent the last few minutes of my demo dueling a farmer who threw manure at me. I love this game.

Getting three characters in the time limit while playing normally seems insane to me. Only managed to complete Tressa and Olberic's.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about my team comp I have Cyrus,Tressa and Olberic. Only weapon types I am missing as Axe,Dagger and Dark (prob light but not sure of Cyrus learns it). Thinking my fourth is either Therion or Primrose. I like Therion's steal action but honestly I may subclass Tressa there (she can use Daggers then right?)

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I started with H'aanit, who's pretty cool. The faux old timey dialogue doesn't bother me. I like that different chars may have different ways of speaking! It reinforces that they're from different parts of the world. I haven't found any more Moss Creepers or whatever the swine animals that perform a heal are. I used up 2 during the boss. When it came time to venture out, I headed opposite the path to Stonesgate or whatever so I could go pick up Ophilia and have a healer.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone has their own "chapter 1" where their respective chapter ends when the he/she joins the team. The 8 characters' story then merge into one.

This would be weird, cause they all have their own motivations for their quests. I'd assume they all have their own chapters 1-4 or so and then they merge.

Also: Does Linde scale with something on H'annit? Cause he seems OP as shit atm. A fully charged Linde does 800~ while every other option, even if they're weak to it, does 600~

So far the characters with skills to fight the townspeople seem like the worst field option by far. Other than beating on NPCs for funsies a few times, it seems like a waste.

Anyone manage to tank their reputation? Does it just increase shop prices and stuff?

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Played most of my time. Started with Ophilia (gotta have that healer), and then went for Tressa.

I gotta say, the structure of this game is pretty unique; I don't know if I've played anything like it before. It's a lot more open than I expected, like you can go around and get the characters in any order. I think I want to go collect all the party members first. That or I could make a beeline for Ophilia's chapter 2, but in that case I'd be underleveled. It's cool that they give you that choice though.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Played most of my time. Started with Ophilia (gotta have that healer), and then went for Tressa.

I gotta say, the structure of this game is pretty unique; I don't know if I've played anything like it before. It's a lot more open than I expected, like you can go around and get the characters in any order. I think I want to go collect all the party members first. That or I could make a beeline for Ophilia's chapter 2, but in that case I'd be underleveled. It's cool that they give you that choice though.

Don't think you can do Chapter 2's in the demo.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I really like this game but I have this weird feeling that 60€ is a bit too much for it.

he's very self sufficient, dealing solid damage and healing himself in return, and can also guarantee item drops from your enemies with his stealing ability, not to mention take priceless items from others money can't buy.

every character is solid to have in a party, and Therion is definitely a good choice, especially considering an interesting story of heists ahead of him!
I equipped him with every possible +Evasion item and he dodges almost every attack :D

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
It's so hard to hold out but i have to. >.< I just want to play without stopping.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So H'aanit is pretty fun, but I want to strangle whoever at square wrote her dialogue, i dont mind her and her village having a old style dialect but theres a way to do it wrong and they found it. At one point I thought they were going for parody, I cant believe other people read her lines and said it was ok, I'm pretty sure atleast some of these words are made up

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the demo! I decided to start out with Tressa for it and go up as far as I could while not rushing anything, though I only managed to get as far as finishing Cyrus' chapter. It was pretty fun, and I'm definitely super in love with this game and can't wait for the full release next month. It's really tempting to delete the save and try out the other characters but I don't want to get too greedy lol.
When I play the game for real I think I'll start out with Therion, although I'm not sure if I'll work my way around in H'annit or Alfyn's direction :thinking:

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
So will this game be something like Dragon Age Origins, where you can pick multiple different openings, but then it all goes through that character as the world comes together?

Not something like Dragon Quest 4 where you play as each party member separately before they join?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So who do you guys think are the most interesting characters?
Primrose has a very interesting backstory and start, and Ophilia, too, has an interesting backstory and budding quest. Cyrus' quest to me sounds very exciting, too, so I'd recommend either of those three. Olberic's was pretty nice, too, though not at the level of those 3. Haven't played the other 4.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad there's a skill that reduces the rate of random encounters. That is the one thing from old-school JRPGs that I don't miss. With the skill activated the encounter rate doesn't bother me at all, as someone who hates random battles.

There is one thing I would have added, though: character portraits with different emotions like this:
9d0b71a0b71fa3198fbf8777abdd9ff0--sorting-video-games.jpg

It would give them more personality. But that's just a small nitpick, the game seems like a great homage to traditional JRPGs. And it simply looks beautiful.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Should I deactivate the corner shadows? I think it looks way better without. Looks kinda horrible in handheld mode.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Made some progress with the speed run. Have gotten 5 characters with around 1:30 on the clock. I did also steal a bunch of 3% weapons, so my party is kitted out really well. The most time it took me was coz I started as Therion and then went all the way to Rippletide to recruit Tressa. After that, stuff has been relatively quick with fast travel and strong moves to beat bosses.

Won't have time to play until next weekend, so will continue this then. Having a gem of a time with this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Made some progress with the speed run. Have gotten 5 characters with around 1:30 on the clock. I did also steal a bunch of 3% weapons, so my party is kitted out really well. The most time it took me was coz I started as Therion and then went all the way to Rippletide to recruit Tressa. After that, stuff has been relatively quick with fast travel and strong moves to beat bosses.

Won't have time to play until next weekend, so will continue this then. Having a gem of a time with this game.

Starting with Cyrus seems to be the way to go for the easiest route to 8 characters. Reduced encounter rate and being able to hit four elements is clutch.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
So who do you guys think are the most interesting characters?

Only played five so far but:

Cyrus > Primrose = Tressa > Olberic >>>>> Ophilia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> H'annit.

H'annit has cool abilities but I can't get over their idiotic "I'm pretty sure this is what old english sounds like" dialogue.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are characters going to have any interactions with each other at all?

I think ive spent over 5 hours on it.
Very mixed impressions overall. Some tracks are great , others arent. The visuals i feel like should have come together a lot better than they did... somethings just really off that makes the game very dated looking half the time instead of charming. The intensity of the lighting sfx seems toned down as well and theyve added the hideous vignettes, without which the game just looks washed out.

The combat too is starting to become a rut more or less because of how linear the flow has become. There seems to be pretty much 1 strategy to everything.

The real winner is how the gameplay mechanisms of every character come into play outside of the combat. But the characters not interacting with each other puts a damper on that too.

Oh and the combat animations certainly havent improved since the last demo. They look more needlessly archaic than nostalgic

I think ill hold out for reviews.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Jeez, I understand the concerns, but I kinda wish the points constantly brought up in the thread can have their answers pinned to the OP.

if nobody else does it, I'll try to later.

essentially, yes, interpersonal stuff happens in the main game, and the mechanics and flow are greatly improved as you get a full party.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I started off with Ophilia, and proceeded to get bodied at the first mini boss. I grinded to level five, and still got bodied.

Only then did I remember she can force people to follow her! Am I right in assuming I need to draft some poor soul into my quest so I can have two party members instead of just soloing as a weak cleric?

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone managed to get a decent amount into Chapter 2 with anyone? The only possible way I see is getting lucky with Cait kills or the xp x 100 with Primrose.

Also, anyone know Cait's weakness? Cait is the bag enemy that runs and gives 1000 xp if you kill it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I started off with Ophilia, and proceeded to get bodied at the first mini boss. I grinded to level five, and still got bodied.

Only then did I remember she can force people to follow her! Am I right in assuming I need to draft some poor soul into my quest so I can have two party members instead of just soloing as a weak cleric?

You can Guide someone, but they won't exactly be a second party member, just a summon. What's killing you?

You should be able to one shot the add with a fully boosted Light attack (I forget the name). Whittle down the boss' shields and do the same to him a couple times. Nothing should really be able to out damage her occasional heals.

Has anyone managed to get a decent amount into Chapter 2 with anyone? The only possible way I see is getting lucky with Cait kills or the xp x 100 with Primrose.

I don't believe you can access anyone's Chapter 2 areas, even if you leveled enough via Cait.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
You can Guide someone, but they won't exactly be a second party member, just a summon. What's killing you?

You should be able to one shot the add with a fully boosted Light attack (I forget the name). Whittle down the boss' shields and do the same to him a couple times. Nothing should really be able to out damage her occasional heals.

I don't believe you can access anyone's Chapter 2 areas, even if you leveled enough via Cait.

Lame. They're on the map >:(

Lucario

Oct 26, 2017
gay
I'm loving the gameplay and artstyle, but the writing quality is making this kind of difficult to get through.

Is the thief route particularly bad, or can I expect more of the same from the other characters?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the gameplay and artstyle, but the writing quality is making this kind of difficult to get through.

Is the thief route particularly bad, or can I expect more of the same from the other characters?

I mean, they're all different, but keep in mind these are literally the expository prologue segments, not the meat of the story.

Primrose's path has the strongest, most mature writing.

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Finished the demo. I started with H'aanit and just managed to recruit Therion and finish his story before the time was up. I'm loving it so far but the character interaction is disappointing and doesn't really make any sense. For instance,
when I met therion with H'aanit, I could play Therion's prologue chapter until he decides to enter that manor, at which point H'aanit joins his party. This by itself already doesn't make any sense since just before that Therion refused the help from 2 other thiefs, but just casually decides to join up with H'aanit who he doesn't even know. Then when entering the manor, in all the cutscenes H'aanit was nowhere to be found, which was pretty jarring.
I hope this is only the case for the beginning chapters and that there is a more overarching story later on where the characters actually interact, otherwise story wise this will be pretty disappointing.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Finished the demo. I started with H'aanit and just managed to recruit Therion and finish his story before the time was up. I'm loving it so far but the character interaction is disappointing and doesn't really make any sense. For instance,
when I met therion with H'aanit, I could play Therion's prologue chapter until he decides to enter that manor, at which point H'aanit joins his party. This by itself already doesn't make any sense since just before that Therion refused the help from 2 other thiefs, but just casually decides to join up with H'aanit who he doesn't even know. Then when entering the manor, in all the cutscenes H'aanit was nowhere to be found, which was pretty jarring.
I hope this is only the case for the beginning chapters and that there is a more overarching story later on where the characters actually interact, otherwise story wise this will be pretty disappointing.

yeah that's my main complaint with the game... apparently it's only for the chapter 1 of everyone, but even knowing that, it's still really bad... it wasn't hard to include a bit of dialogues, games like seiken densetsu 3 did it 20 years ago, and some still do it today

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I genuinely didn't think a demo would be turn me off a game so much. I was convinced I would like this and have it pre ordered.

Will see if the reviews mention if it gets any better but not buying at the moment.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
At this point I can only hope each of the 8 characters had a different writer lol, so many hot/cold takes on the writing.

Oct 25, 2017
Got all 8 characters. The Threat Level only gets up to 11 in the tutorial areas, so the 6th, 7th, 8th bosses get a bit easier. My highest level was 17, having killed Chester at a low level. The exp and job gains get pretty steep, so killing the cheetah doesn't matter all that much in the long run.

There are 7 towns marked on the map for Chapter 2 areas, and probably room for even more. So there's like, 20-30 towns? That's a lot more than most RPGs of the era that it mimics, including the SaGa series. There's also a lot of caves etc. blocked off for now, so this genuinely seems like a very big game.

I'm curious whether the end game is more SaGa Frontier, Romancing SaGa 1/3, or Legend of Mana. Also, are there multiple endings, depending on path actions, or how far you progress different quest chains?

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
This music man. So good. Loving the art style as well, but that was a given since its looked amazing since the initial reveal.

Between Mario Tennis, Ocotopath, then Monster Hunter, it looks like most of the games i'm buying this summer are Switch exclusives.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is there an overarching plot to this game? When people say that there is "no more plot" for a character past his or her introduction, do they mean it's like Seiken Densetsu 3 where the game's proper story starts? I'd like to have more details on this, thanks.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
So is there an overarching plot to this game? When people say that there is "no more plot" for a character past his or her introduction, do they mean it's like Seiken Densetsu 3 where the game's proper story starts? I'd like to have more details on this, thanks.

There will be more interaction down the line, it's just that these are all the prologue's to these character's stories, and as such are built to all be starting point stories, they Will become more interesting, and character have been confirmed by devs to interact with each other in good ways.

Let's put an FAQ thread or section to this thread to keep the conversation going forward, we continue to have these answers buried!

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Made it through H'annit and Therion's beginnings. Not sure I should have played the demo. I already have the game ordered, and now I really want to continue.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There will be more interaction down the line, it's just that these are all the prologue's to these character's stories, and as such are built to all be starting point stories, they Will become more interesting, and character have been confirmed by devs to interact with each other in good ways.

Let's put an FAQ thread or section to this thread to keep the conversation going forward, we continue to have these answers buried!
Good to know. But is there an overarching plot in this game? Like a proper JRPG?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

No, the characters' stories continue as their own things after Chapter 1; you can see on the world map after beating each character's first chapter that their second chapters are scattered all over the place.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Have you ever played Wild Arms or Suikoden III?

Consider each character Chapter 1 their own personal introduction, much like in Wild Arms 1 Jack, Rudy, and Cecilia also had their own personal introduction story.

Suikoden III did the same thing with Gedoe, Hugo, and Chris.

At a point all characters will meet up and everything converges. Each character has their own personal motivations but they group up for a common goal.

The problem with people making an issue with a lack of character interaction seems superficial because I think the actual main plot needs to pick up and everyone's motives all align to a single enemy or motivation and considering the producer behind this project did something similar with the case in Bravely Default (Tiz, Ages, Edea, and Ringabel all had their own personal goals but they worked together as a means to fulfill them)

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever played Wild Arms or Suikoden III?

Consider each character Chapter 1 their own personal introduction, much like in Wild Arms 1 Jack, Rudy, and Cecilia also had their own personal introduction story.

Suikoden III did the same thing with Gedoe, Hugo, and Chris.

At a point all characters will meet up and everything converges. Each character has their own personal motivations but they group up for a common goal.

The problem with people making an issue with a lack of character interaction seems superficial because I think the actual main plot needs to pick up and everyone's motives all align to a single enemy or motivation and considering the producer behind this project did something similar with the case in Bravely Default (Tiz, Ages, Edea, and Ringabel all had their own personal goals but they worked together as a means to fulfill them)

I have played Suikoden III and I fucking loved how it narrated its story.

I'm so in.

(great, now I want to play Suikoden III again)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know. But is there an overarching plot in this game? Like a proper JRPG?

The game's structure is that you're following each of the eight protagonists' individual stories as they help each other out. If there's a greater overarching plot beyond that, we don't know, because we know next to nothing about the story beyond Chapter 1.