• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Just put a good 2 and a half hours into this and played through Chapter 1 of both Olberic and Primrose' stories; decided to stop there as I wouldn't be able to finish another Chapter 1 within the time limit. Overall my impressions are that this demo has turned things from a "maybe" to a "Day one" for me. I've never been one for classical JRPGs like this but I'm loving the combat system and how you have to juggle all these different things at once; the art-style is impressive as always and I'm looking forward to playing more! Some notes from what I've played:

- You pick one character to start out and are locked into playing them until you meet someone else
- The only way to unlock other characters is to meet them in the overworld and have them join your party
- When a new character joins your party you can choose to watch their backstory and play their Chapter 1
- The "hear a tale" option in the tavern seems to be for watching backstories/playing chapters that you skipped at first
- The recommend level of everyone's "Chapter 1" increases as your party levels up, so there shouldn't be any worries of overlevelling
- Each character's 'field skills' (allure, challenge, etc) seem a lot more useful than I had thought previously
- Your skill points (how you unlock new skills) aren't unique to each character
- Healing often is a must
- The world seems a lot bigger than I originally thought it would be

Oooh, ok. After posting I went looking, and people were speculating they might do the option to play their chapter 1 upon meeting them thing, so it's wonderful to hear they actually did that exact thing!

Of course, it might turn out that something changes this (if there are big enough differences later on), but for now that makes me a lot more comfortable just playing one character to start with. Thanks for sharing that!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Oooh, ok. After posting I went looking, and people were speculating they might do the option to play their chapter 1 upon meeting them thing, so it's wonderful to hear they actually did that exact thing!

Of course, it might turn out that something changes this (if there are big enough differences later on), but for now that makes me a lot more comfortable just playing one character to start with. Thanks for sharing that!

Unless something changes unexpectedly, it seems that the only difference playing a character's story at the start and playing a character's story after doing all 7 will be the recommended level (to stop you from just steamrolling earlier chapters).

mob21

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so is there any hint at an overarching story? im still really confused/concerned on that matter, since id rather play one large in depth story than 8 smaller ones

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a ranking yet of the best First chapters?

If I only get three hours I would want to try out the most recommended path.

Plum

May 31, 2018
so is there any hint at an overarching story? im still really confused/concerned on that matter, since id rather play one large in depth story than 8 smaller ones

There doesn't seem to be any hint of an overarching story right now, but it really seems like there'll be one once you've gotten all 8 characters into your party (note; not when you've finished all the stories). Either way it seems like the bulk of the story's going to be the 8 character's tales.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Anyone figured how to the the sidequest
The bouncer ? I figured I could with Olberic but I cannot fight the drunkard bouncer.

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels a bit boring to be honest. Spent like an hour just running around in the wilds and half of the paths were blocked off in the demo. It's pretty easy too (I played the hunter(?)).
Is there a save the world or something story or do you just go through their tales one by one?

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
oh boy, awesome. Has there ever been a demo that lets you transfer progress? I really cant think of any. This is a great idea.

Edit: Unless you maybe count something as Early Access as a demo.

Plenty. The entire Patapon series is like this. You can carry a certain amount of progress all the way from Patapon 1 demo to Patapon 3 full. The demos usually give an exclusive unlock, and some of them are packed to the brim. I think I got like 15-20 hours out of Patapon 2 demo.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Unless something changes unexpectedly, it seems that the only difference playing a character's story at the start and playing a character's story after doing all 7 will be the recommended level (to stop you from just steamrolling earlier chapters).

Just to clarify, when you say "story"... I think I missed how some of this works structurally. Is it that each character has their own personal story/quest to do while you're playing as them, so once you get them you can switch to them and just progress in their quest instead? I guess your party doesn't really affect things in the story, then, if you can theoretically do anything no matter who you have (unless it eventually gates chapters)?

I'm totally down for it being so separated like that rather than one main plot for the entire thing with slight differences, just want to know how it works a bit more clearly (assuming you can even tell from the demo).

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just to clarify, when you say "story"... I think I missed how some of this works structurally. Is it that each character has their own personal story/quest to do while you're playing as them, so once you get them you can switch to them and just progress in their quest instead? I guess your party doesn't really affect things in the story, then, if you can theoretically do anything no matter who you have (unless it eventually gates chapters)?

I'm totally down for it being so separated like that rather than one main plot for the entire thing with slight differences, just want to know how it works a bit more clearly (assuming you can even tell from the demo).

Not really. You don't really "play" as any one character, you play as a party of characters, if that makes sense. So, once you have Olberic in your party he's in your party for good, you just unlock his questline to do when you please. It's quite open in the sense that you aren't really forced into progressing any certain way. If you wanted you could try and go solo as your first character, finish their story then go meet another one; or you could do everyone's Chapter 1, then everyone's Chapter 2, and so on.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Alright I've started with Primrose, finished her story and recruited Olberic, did all his chapter 1 as well. What an amazing gem of a game. I like how when you run out of time the game let you save wherever you are (you normally only can at save point, a weird choice for a portable game). Did three of the four side quests I've found, could not figure the other one out. Ennemies seems to scale a bit, starting wilderness area were at Danger Level 1 and when my two character were level 8 or 9 it upgraded to Danger Level 4, and the other character on the world map their recommended level went from 5 to 7.

Now I wonder if the whole game you just deal with each character personal storyline (which would be pretty unique for the genre) or after their own personal storyline it ties together to a greater evil and go full on classic jrpg, that I don't know. I'm in day one, what a strong first three hours.

Not really. You don't really "play" as any one character, you play as a party of characters, if that makes sense. So, once you have Olberic in your party he's in your party for good, you just unlock his questline to do when you please. It's quite open in the sense that you aren't really forced into progressing any certain way. If you wanted you could try and go solo as your first character, finish their story then go meet another one; or you could do everyone's Chapter 1, then everyone's Chapter 2, and so on.

The game strongly implies you're meant to do everyone first chapter. The recommended level jumped from lvl 5 to 21 for Primrose and from 5 to 27 for Olberic. Unless you're willing to grind a heck of a lot, they expect you to go and recruit/advance the others character story.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
There are some intersting aspects to this game and some relly bad ones, the melodramatic stories, the difficult to understand conversations, the vignette so that i cant even see most of my screen, etc.

I guess thats all it'll be for me, a demo to try out.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I was sold after the first demo so I'm avoiding this, but it's super encouraging to see the positive responses.

Plum

May 31, 2018
There are some intersting aspects to this game and some relly bad ones, the melodramatic stories, the difficult to understand conversations, the vignette so that i cant even see most of my screen, etc.

I guess thats all it'll be for me, a demo to try out.

You can turn off the vignetting.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Gotcha, gotcha. I'd seen stuff mentioning switching characters so I thought it was more that you were a main character + their party (and then switching that main character as you wish), but I'm fairly certain what I saw was speculation leading up to this demo, now that I think about it. Similarly the "Chapter" naming made me think that was more the main story than just steps in their individual quests at first. It does still sound like your party characters won't impact/react during the personal stories much in that case, if it's possible to have such a varied party with you at each event, but that's not too bad.

This structure sounds perfect otherwise, alleviates a lot of my worries about missing things due to the 8 characters, and I'm even more excited for the game now. Thanks again for clarifying this!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If anyone still doesn't understand how the different chapters / character mechanic works.

The best comparison I can come up with is something like Suikoden III or Wild Arms 1, which all three characters have their own introductory story and eventually all them meet up and motivations / objectives align to the point they work together to fulfill their personal agendas.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
If anyone still doesn't understand how the different chapters / character mechanic works.

The best comparison I can come up with is something like Suikoden III or Wild Arms 1, which all three characters have their own introductory story and eventually all them meet up and motivations / objectives align to the point they work together to fulfill their personal agendas.

That's the game the game made me think of thanks, it was on the tip of my tongue the whole three hours I played.

Oct 30, 2017
Oh haven't noticed much at all of that kind of English. Or I just didn't notice. (My primary language is French and I had no trouble with the text in the game). Maybe it's less prevalent in certains story ? Like mentioned above I played Primrose and Olberic's to completion.

Oh, could be actually. Now that mention it I didn't notice it in the first demo. I'm playing as H'aanit and it's grating to me.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Just completed Tressa's demo:
  • There is a lot less voice acting compared to Primrose and Olberics of the first demo so dissapointed at that.
  • Towns seem less lively as none of the npcs have dialogue compared to the first demo when they all had it.
  • Enemy encounters feel too frequent atm.
  • Very easy, granted its the intro area. They even buffed potions from the first demo to heal from 250 to 500 now. Seems a bit much.
For me the highlight in the first demo was the story and the art style. Now that has waned, the game seems overly simplistic and towns being devoid of any life (at least in Tressas) makes me wonder if story alone can carry this.

Going to play the other characters tonight and see if they are any better.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Oh haven't noticed much at all of that kind of English. Or I just didn't notice. (My primary language is French and I had no trouble with the text in the game). Maybe it's less prevalent in certains story ? Like mentioned above I played Primrose and Olberic's to completion.
Yea in the first demo playing as primerosa it wasnt too bad to follow, but now im playing the hunter, and not only can i barely understand them half the time, it is wayy too drawn out. So much text to just tell me to go kill a beast in the forest.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
  • There is a lot less voice acting compared to Primrose and Olberics of the first demo so dissapointed at that.
  • Towns seem less lively as none of the npcs have dialogue compared to the first demo when they all had it.
  • Very easy, granted its the intro area. They even buffed potions from the first demo to heal from 250 to 500 now. Seems a bit much.
For me the highlight in the first demo was the story and the art style. Now that has waned, the game seems overly simplistic and towns being devoid of any life (at least in Tressas) makes me wonder if story alone can carry this.

If you sprint the minimap turns red, I assumed it upped the encounter rate.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Went with H'aanit because damn that artwork is amazing, so far loving the game.

U4N5n3B.jpg

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

Yup, i entered a house with 3 npcs, and all 3 of them had nothing to say. It was just an empty lifeless room with no objective to it.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
NPC with '' ... '' can be talked to the rest is just screen filler. Their dialogue doesn't appear to change much when events move forward. That's a big step back from Kiseki / Trails game. But then again pretty much every other game is a massive step backward in that regard.

I'm still annoyed I did not figure how to complete the fourth sidequest I've found. I wan't the full game already -_-

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, timed demos always make me anxious. I don't want that sense of urgency when I want to explore in a fun RPG. Is there any way to at least stop the timer if you pause or something?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand the vignette, bloom blur and depth of field. It's honestly keeping me from enjoying the game

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Ugh, timed demos always make me anxious. I don't want that sense of urgency when I want to explore in a fun RPG. Is there any way to at least stop the timer if you pause or something?

I did not notice. There's no urgency, when your time's up you can save wherever you are. If you are in combat, it'll pop after you exit combat. There's no risk at all. Just take you time, treat it like the game release.

I can't stand the vignette, bloom blur and depth of field. It's honestly keeping me from enjoying the game

Turn off the vignetting ? Options are there for a reason.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why they didn't have it out for the announcement.

I literally turned on my switch and logged into my nintendo account just to download the first demo after that trailer and realised that they'd taken it down.

Now I can't be assed anymore.

Oct 30, 2017
Yo, this soundtrack is to die for. I always think it can't get any better and then they throw an even better song at you. Playing with earphones and no voices was the right choice.

H'aanit is really fun to play...I can't believe this but I might actually enjoy a turn-based RPG that's not Persona 4. Damn.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
So what actually happens when you reach 3 hours of playtime?

Can you restart from the beginning using another save or do you have to use another nintendo account?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Anyone got story impressions? Without major spoilers preferably.

On that note I'm completely expecting a 9th story that only unlocks after completing everyone's individual story. I've never played a multi-protag game that didn't work like that.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize they already shared screenshots showing the visibility/filters improvements following the survey.

Before:
ProjectOctopathTraveler14.jpg

After:
ProjectOctopathTraveler13.jpg

They did massively tone down the DoF and even in dark dungeons we can see a lot more of the surroundings now.

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
I think I messed up...

So I got too excited and downloaded the demo from EU's eShop since I have an account for possible discounts. BUT I remembered that I might not be able to transfer the save data from my game if the demo isn't from the NA eShop so I deleted it. When the NA eShop went up, I tried to download it and now it's not giving me the option to. It says "Purchased" with no download option whatsoever. Even in the Redownload option, the game isn't available.

Has this happened to anyone? Also...if anyone knows a way around this...please help
raw

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've played like 4 of my 50+ Switch games more than 3 hours. I'm sure I'll be fine with the time limit here.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize they already shared screenshots showing the visibility/filters improvements following the survey.

Before:
ProjectOctopathTraveler14.jpg

After:
ProjectOctopathTraveler13.jpg

They did massively tone down the DoF and even in dark dungeons we can see a lot more of the surroundings now.

Probably in the minority here, but I actually REALLY loved the way the original version looked. I wish there was an option to turn it on for those who liked it lol