Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Capcom, what the fuck, why?! Ever since the mvci fuck up, they've been doing pretty good... why would they throw their biggest IP to the wolves?

You say that but this is the same director that made the Resident Evil movies a blockbuster success, why wouldn't Capcom entrust him to do the same for Monster Hunter lol.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
giphy.webp

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
You say that but this is the same director that made the Resident Evil movies a blockbuster success, why wouldn't Capcom entrust him to do the same for Monster Hunter lol.

A lot of movies can be considered block buster successes. But they're still garbage movies... this doesnt even look like the source material. I actively avoided those RE movies for years, still haven't seen one. Transformers continues to get movie after movie and the general consensus is that they're terrible films. Plus, if any movie makes any money in China it's a guaranteed franchise; regardless of how bad it is

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
A lot of movies can be considered block buster successes. But they're still garbage movies... this doesnt even look like the source material. I actively avoided those RE movies for years, still haven't seen one. Transformers continues to get movie after movie and the general consensus is that they're terrible films. Plus, if any movie makes any money in China it's a guaranteed franchise; regardless of how bad it is

I'm not arguing about the quality of the movies. I'm talking about the indisputable fact that the team that made those movies was able to turn it into a massive success.

With so many other video game inspired movies failing to do that, why wouldn't Capcom entrust Monster Hunter to them again?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anderson and wife strike again!

Lol at military white dude with gunz in Monster Hunter. It's like last gen when everything wanted to be Call of Duty, but in movies.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So just because this guy makes lucrative movies, criticizing the director choice is unreasonable? Movies can (try to) be true to the source material and be lucrative too. Actually, I bet would be even more lucrative if it was.

Edit: Mila seems to be using the exact same clothes as the ones she used on the re movies btw.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give you 5.

1) Resident Evil made $103 mil with a $33 million budget.
2) RE: Apocalypse made $129.3 million with a $45 million budget.
3) RE: Extinction made $145 million with a budget around "Apocalypse"'s.
4) RE: Retribution made $240 million with a budget of $65 million.
5) Re: The Final Chapter made $312 million off of a budget of $45 milion.

He can make these movies cheap, on time, and they make bank. That is enough to get a steady career in Hollywood.

Is this true or was the poster being sarcastic?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yeah! I can't believe MC is using my favorite weapon from the game! Also, sick armor set. I love the Kevlarith Alpha set!

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Is this serious?

Not that I was expecting something good anyway but this is just ridiculous.
It looks like an image form a generic war movie/ series.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I shall boycott this movie by not buying a ticket, but rather by double dipping on MHW on opening day. That'll show em!

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
So just because this guy makes lucrative movies, criticizing the director choice is unreasonable? Movies can (try to) be true to the source material and be lucrative too. Actually, I bet would be even more lucrative if it was.

Edit: Mila seems to be using the exact same clothes as the ones she used on the re movies btw.

No one is saying that. People are like "wtf is Capcom doing?" when it makes perfect business sense for them to go this route, especially as there doesn't seem to be any damage done to RE from the movies.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Is this true or was the poster being sarcastic?

https://www.polygon.com/2017/1/28/14426514/resident-evil-box-office-gross-revenue

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter opened this week, and rates 39 percent "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes and a 53 on Metacritic. Those scores, the highest in series history, aren't exactly great, but that don't matter none, because the franchise is going to make its billionth dollar in some theater this weekend.

https://www.destructoid.com/the-resident-evil-movies-are-now-a-billion-dollar-franchise-415358.phtml

According to Deadline, the Resident Evil film franchise -- starting with the first Resident Evil film in 2002 -- is set to cross the $1 Billion (with a friggin' "B") mark with The Final Chapter earning $35 million in Japan when it first opened in December, and an estimated $80 million by the end of this weekend internationally. I'm sure the huge response was due to the five year gap between the films, and the much touted finale.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Resident-Evil#tab=summary

Worldwide: $1,222,759,928
Domestic: $270,827,255

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I allways remember the good times in MH when i fought alongside the US army... wait a minute.

CrackPebbles

Oct 25, 2017
Someone actually saw that photo, gave it the ok to post on social media, and thought "yeah lets put this out, the MH fans are gonna love this shit"

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Yeah, they're in a movie called Monster Hunter.

That's it.

Oooooook then.
I guess is a movie with the main focus will be again American soldiers and not the actual material of the videogame series.
Why exactly they doing this?

Without joking, the director could easily just switch at least the guns with melee weapons and call it "Monster Hunter, but with more serious tone".

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually wouldnt have a problem if he was transported there and had gun to start out with, but as the guns become less effective, he learns the art of monster hunting, and actually starts using swords and great swords to pierce tougher hides.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oooooook then.
I guess is a movie with the main focus will be again American soldiers and not the actual material of the videogame series.
Why exactly they doing this?

Without joking, the director could easily just switch at least the guns with melee weapons and call it "Monster Hunter, but with more serious tone".

Because the director and main star spent the last decade making the shit-tastic Resident Evil films, so this all they really know how to do.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I actually wouldnt have a problem if he was transported there and had gun to start out with, but as the guns become less effective, he learns the art of monster hunting, and actually starts using swords and great swords to pierce tougher hides.

Actually there is still a proper Monster Hunter in there played by Tony Jaa

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017

I thought this is what they were trying to do.
Like these pics are before they find the monster world or something.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
This is looking worse and worse. And my standards weren't even that high.

I wasn't expecting some Oscar worthy think piece out of a Monster Hunter movie. Just something nice and action packed with decent CGI monsters and some cool costume design. That's it, bare minimum.

But I guess I'm asking too much of Hollywood on this.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Did the army have a hand in making this movie??? How could someone look at ANY Monster Hunter game made and think of barebone camouflage army outfits.

Avatar already had modern troops fighting against fantasy elements back in 2009. Monster Hunter doesn't need to be changed into the exact same thing.

Yes. Please let it be this instead.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017

Gotta sharpen that gunlance barrel. ' 3'