• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking about that 4chan rumor from a few days ago, how possible is a 18gb gddr6 and 6gb ddr4 for OS (accounting for roughly 2x more OS memory requriements) as ram configuration? i dont trust that rumor but 18GB for games and 6gb for OS sounds like an interesting configuration, especially if the 18gb is used just for games.
Leaks have always suggested 20gb for games and 4gb for os.i haven't seen a rumor with 6 for os

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Leaks have always suggested 20gb for games and 4gb for os.i haven't seen a rumor with 6 for os
4 GB for OS means little to no increase (with I assume lower speed than GDDR5), wouldnt they rather add some more ram for more features (high res streaming, additional online capabilities etc.)?
and i am assuming with the 6GB to match 24GB in total.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
reddit leak said:
8 core Zen 2, clocked at 3.2Ghz.

Custom Navi GPU, 56CU, 1.8Ghz, 12.9TF. RT is hardware based, co engineered by AMD and Sony. (They believe the RT hardware is the basis for the rumour that Navi was built for Sony)

24GB RAM (Type or bandwidth wasn't mentioned)

Custom embeded Solid State solution paired with HDD.

This is pretty much exactly what I was expecting, and makes the most sense with what we know about the upcoming tech.

There is no way to incorporate a SSD with a high enough capacity at a good speed for next gen games with a reasonably priced console. So previously in this thread I said I think the only way to do it is to have an SSD cache, but the benefit is you can stick it on the board with custom interconnects making it super duper fast - so in some ways it would be better than a straight off the shelf SSD - gives the potential to essentially use it as slower RAM which could be great.

TF is what I would expect, team 8TF are smoking some disappointing crack. 56CU is probably a 64CU chiplet with 8CU disabled for yield reasons - very similar to what they did with the PS4. Either that or the remaining space of the 8CU is instead filled with the RT tech, though that could be a separate chiplet.

RAM - again what would be necessary for a generational leap, remember this is only 2X the XBX.

Those specs at $500 is going to be a very compelling (but realistic) machine, and one that is worthy of carrying a new generation.

EDIT:
20190417-092000.jpg

I think there was a meeting, this might be legit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
This is pretty much exactly what I was expecting, and makes the most sense with what we know about the upcoming tech.

There is no way to incorporate a SSD with a high enough capacity at a good speed for next gen games with a reasonably priced console. So previously in this thread I said I think the only way to do it is to have an SSD cache, but the benefit is you can stick it on the board with custom interconnects making it super duper fast - so in some ways it would be better than a straight off the shelf SSD - gives the potential to essentially use it as slower RAM which could be great.

TF is what I would expect, team 8TF are smoking some disappointing crack. 56CU is probably a 64CU chiplet with 8CU disabled for yield reasons - very similar to what they did with the PS4. Either that or the remaining space of the 8CU is instead filled with the RT tech, though that could be a separate chiplet.

RAM - again what would be necessary for a generational leap, remember this is only 2X the XBX.

Those specs at $500 is going to be a very compelling (but realistic) machine, and one that is worthy of carrying a new generation.

EDIT:
20190417-092000.jpg

There WAS a meeting? How do you know? And what's that pic from?

Deleted member 38397

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I really hope it's not some weird custom SSD + HDD solution. Just give us a straight up SSD (m.2 style) drive that's easily upgradable. Also, not having a 2.5" drive means it can be physically smaller (cooler too?).

I hope they also make a version with no optical drive. A completely solid state PlayStation would have a really nice "next gen" feel to it.

I very much agree with this. Having technology with moving parts like HDD and optical drives makes me feel unclean now. My PC doesn't have them.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EDIT:
20190417-092000.jpg

If that is true, I wonder if MS goes with a heavily modified GPU to take advantage of Direct X ray tracing.

Unless the joint venture doesn't stop AMD from offering the Sony+AMD Navi to be sold to MS.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I really hope it's not some weird custom SSD + HDD solution. Just give us a straight up SSD (m.2 style) drive that's easily upgradable. Also, not having a 2.5" drive means it can be physically smaller (cooler too?).

Where are you buying 2TB+ SSD drives that can realistically be put into a $400-500 console?

The only way to offer both capacity and speed is to have a standard HDD for storage and a ssd cache. But this does have benefits, namely means a user upgradable HDD (like PS3 and PS4) and the ability to have a custom and potentially much faster SSD solution than over PCIE.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
According to the Exif data from that picture, it was taken on April 17 2019 (one day after the wired article). But that can be edited. Unfortunately there are no GPS coordinates, lol.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
what in here proves exactly that it was:
A: a real meeting with sony
B: dev kit information was taled about in there.

like, this picture could have been taken basically anywhere.

If you're asking for incontrovertible proof you're never going to get it. Let's just say that there are a couple of things about this that add up - both with the details and the meeting.

Take it or leave it, we'll see next year...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If you're asking for incontrovertible proof you're never going to get it. Let's just say that there are a couple of things about this that add up - both with the details and the meeting.

of course they make sense, we already know a lot about the next gen target so that anyone can fake that.
i am saying that pictures that could be taken literally anywhere and have a sony logo that could just be photoshopped dont prove anything.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Personally my expectations for PS5 is far south of most folks here (expecting similar specs to Stadia).

Same. I think there is a reason stadia is at 10.7 TF. Google surely must have had some idea what the TF performance of the next gen consoles is going to be and targeted that. My guess is between 10-11 TF.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
what in here proves exactly that it was:
A: a real meeting with sony
B: dev kit information was talked about in there.

like, this picture could have been taken basically anywhere.

Well, there is part of a Sony sign in the background, someone has a swag bag that you can make out "Sony" on, and everyone seems to have badges with lanyards that say Sony on them.

It could be photoshop, or maybe it's a pic from an unrelated Sony event, but there are a lot of little details that make it seem like it's not just a random pic.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017

Doesnt have sense to develope the RT hardware with AMD taking as a start point the custom development of the ID buffer?.Is an element that could be heavily involved as a buffer to calculate intersections.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Well, there is part of a Sony sign in the background, someone has a swag bag that you can make out "Sony" on, and everyone seems to have badges with lanyards that say Sony on them. Maybe it's mostly photoshop, or maybe it's an unrelated Sony event, but it doesn't appear to just be a random pic.
In the Doctor Avatar pic?.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Well, there is part of a Sony sign in the background, someone has a swag bag that you can make out "Sony" on, and everyone seems to have badges with lanyards that say Sony on them. Maybe it's mostly photoshop, or maybe it's an unrelated Sony event, but it doesn't appear to just be a random pic.
i see what you mean, and considering some things in here this looks difficult to photoshop, so we confirmed one thing, that these are people in a sony building. we also have supposedly a time stamp in the image file directing to a day after the article went up like the poster said (however, as was mentioned these stuff can be altered).

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
i see what you mean, and considering some things in here this looks difficult to photoshop, so we confirmed one thing, that these are people in a sony building. we also have supposedly a time stamp in the image file directing to a day after the article went up like the poster said (however, as was mentioned these stuff can be altered).

But who took such a random pic....and how did doctor avatar get it?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I think there is a reason stadia is at 10.7 TF. Google surely must have had some idea what the TF performance of the next gen consoles is going to be and targeted that. My guess is between 10-11 TF.
The most probable reason Stadia is 10.7 TF is that it made itself future proof with a game available to be rendered with multiple GPUs.

In one curious moment, Harrison told viewers that Stadia games' effects and features could vary, should a game be rendered on multiple GPUs within Google's cloud system. This seems to imply that there will be an option to request more or less infrastructure dedicated to a single streamed game, but it's currently unclear whether that will cost developers or players more money to access those.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
But who took such a random pic....and how did doctor avatar get it?
he didn't, that reddit user posted it an hour ago.

What was the leaks from ps5 in supposed Sony meeting ? Any specs ??
zen 2 8 core 3.2Ghz clock
Navi GPU 1.8Ghz clock with 56CU for 12.9TF with hardware based ray tracing solution that is co developed between sony and AMD (the source for the "AMD are making Navi for Sony" rumors according to the post is the ray tracing).
24GB of unspecified ram
"Custom embeded Solid State solution paired with HDD"

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I will say this again, unless proven otherwise this is just a reddit post that have yet to provide any major proof for its claims other than pictures from a supposed event, so dont go in expecting such a high end device just to be disappointed when it ends up being false. I am staying with 11TF for now.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
he didn't, that reddit user posted it an hour ago.

zen 2 8 core 3.2Ghz clock
Navi GPU 1.8Ghz clock with 56CU for 12.9TF with hardware based ray tracing solution that is co developed between sony and AMD (the source for the "AMD are making Navi for Sony" rumors according to the post is the ray tracing).
24GB of unspecified ram
"Custom embeded Solid State solution paired with HDD"
What the fuck .that is toward upper level of gpu power I was expecting .ofcourse it could be fake as duck .
Cautiously excited

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me that the #team2019 people were making this prediction in 2017...

Also, I've been super out of the loop, but which of the current gen consoles is the most powerful?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What the fuck .that is toward upper level of gpu power I was expecting .ofcourse it could be fake as duck .
Cautiously excited
of course it could be fake, the poster did provide two images from a supposed dev kit meeting that happened a day after the wired article went up as his proof:
jUiU3qc.jpg

20190417-092000.jpg

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Please tell me that the #team2019 people were making this prediction in 2017...

Also, I've been super out of the loop, but which of the current gen consoles is the most powerful?
that would be the Xbox One X with its 6 TeraFlops GPU and 12GB GDDR5 memory.

So if hardware raytracing is sony exclusive with AMD, MS version will be software based ?
Assuming this is real (that you shouldnt assume because its a random reddit post), then yea because that hardware ray tracing is something that Sony and AMD partnered up to create rather than some built in ray tracing features in upcoming Navi chips.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
If that is true, I wonder if MS goes with a heavily modified GPU to take advantage of Direct X ray tracing.

Unless the joint venture doesn't stop AMD from offering the Sony+AMD Navi to be sold to MS.
Well, Klobrille already implied MS won't have any kind of hardware based raytracing and based on his second post they are going do a PR war, downplaying dedicated hardware raytracing in favor of a software solution.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...plays-we-all-win.94058/page-344#post-20201579
https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...plays-we-all-win.94058/page-345#post-20203441

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, Klobrille already implied MS won't have any kind of hardware based raytracing and based on his second post they are going do a PR war, downplaying dedicated hardware raytracing in favor of a software solution.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...plays-we-all-win.94058/page-344#post-20201579
https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...plays-we-all-win.94058/page-345#post-20203441
Interesting . But software raytracing has been done since ps3 era .we shall wait and see rather than prejudging .

Just read his posts ,if he is an insider then it definitely sounds like MS is trying to down play hadrware dedicated core for raytracing .

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), the RT cores used in the RTX are not specifically 'ray-tracing cores', but just cores designed to do a shitload of small calculations, which is what ray-tracing requires. I wanted to know, is there anything else that type of core is good at, that it could be used for when ray-tracing isn't used?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

yea, that does read like MS would rather just use their API without specialized RT hardware acceleration. that might mean that if sony really do opt for hardware ray tracing, they will probably be less powerful than the competition in raw performance, i wonder how that would be even'd out.
Then again, i dont see a console coming out with such high raw teraflop count while still having hardware based ray tracing, it just sounds too much unlikely.

I think there will be a new standalone version, but old PS4 game will be emulated [limited to checkerboarded 4K30].
I disagree, i think you could just patch them to PS5 version, but a PS5 disc will already include the update.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Interesting . But software raytracing has been done since ps3 era .we shall wait and see rather than prejudging .
That there is no dedicated RT hardware it does not mean it is software based RT. AMD Async Compute may good enough to support the planned RT use cases. Especially if AMD has adapted DXR in their microcode implementation. There is no law you have to have RT fixed hardware. A very good example is the demo that ran on the Vega 56 though we don't know resolution and frame rate the demo run with.

Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Oh absolutely -- It's something very much on my mind. Will nvidia use the extra space / transistor density to increase the number of RT cores, or otherwise.
My guess is that the 3000 series is going to be similar to the 1000 series, a Tick. Pascal didn't improve much, it was basically Maxwell on a 16nm node. Turing was a huge architectural change, my guess is that the 3000 series will be Turing on a 7nm node with a new name (just like 16nm Maxwell was called Pascal).

Last time they did a big node shrink, they had more than double the performance. The 980ti was 5.6 TFLOPS while the 1080ti was 11.3 TFLOPS while the die actually shrunk! I don't know if the 3000 will be a huge jump like the 1000 series but if it is even close, it will be insane. I mean the Titan RTX is 16.3 TFLOPS, if they just get a 50% improvement we are talking about a 25 TFLOPS GPU.

Regarding the RT cores, I'm guessing they will leave the SM alone so that's 1 RT core per SM. I wish they will remove the Tensor cores and replace them with RT cores, but I don't think that it will happen.

That there is no dedicated RT hardware it does not mean it is software based RT. AMD Async Compute may good enough to support the planned RT use cases. Especially if AMD has adapted DXR in their microcode implementation. There is no law you have to have RT fixed hardware. A very good example is the demo that ran on the Vega 56 though we don't know resolution and frame rate the demo run with.
That's software RT :)

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), the RT cores used in the RTX are not specifically 'ray-tracing cores', but just cores designed to do a shitload of small calculations, which is what ray-tracing requires. I wanted to know, is there anything else that type of core is good at, that it could be used for when ray-tracing isn't used?
It can be used basiclly just for ray-tracing but ray-tracing has other uses like ai path finding, ai line of vision, sound wave bouncing or hit detection.

Last edited:

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
That Reddit "leak" doesn't do too badly with specs, at least they calculated the TF count correctly LMAO

But like a lot of those types of posts, they always include one unnecessary piece of into that ruins their credibility. The picture of the event makes zero sense. No PS5 event would have Sony branding plastered all over but no PlayStation branding anywhere to be found.

If this turns out to be true, consider me shocked, because I always expected MS to go for a specialized hardware solution while Sony doesn't.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That there is no dedicated RT hardware it does mean it is software based RT. AMD Async Compute may good enough to support the planned RT use cases. Especially if AMD has adapted in their microcode implementation. There is no law you have to have RT fixed hardware. A very good example is the demo that ran on the Vega 56 though we don't know resolution and frame rate the demo run with.
I meant dedicated hardware cores for RT to assist with the software side of things.
So what u r saying is microcode will create a situation where no major performance drawback is not created due to Ray tracing ?

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will say this again, unless proven otherwise this is just a reddit post that have yet to provide any major proof for its claims other than pictures from a supposed event, so dont go in expecting such a high end device just to be disappointed when it ends up being false. I am staying with 11TF for now.

Agreed, around 11TF is my current top end prediction, I'm not latching on to anything in the 12-14 range unless we get multiple sources pointing to it.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
The picture of the event makes zero sense. No PS5 event would have Sony branding plastered all over but no PlayStation branding anywhere to be found.

The alleged event was a Sony corporate event. Not a playstation press event.

The only PS5 or playstation specific stuff at events like that would be on the slides, which would be on the possession of a Sony employee. They actively wouldn't want Playstation branding plastered everywhere.

A healthy degree of skepticism is good. Mental gymnastics to be needlessly cynical is not. "Playstation isn't plastered everywhere therefore it makes no sense and can't possibly be true" is definitely the latter.

Evidence we have that all fits together. Gonzalo. The timing of this event. The pictures. The metadata of the pictures. And the only confirmed info we have from the Wired article. And all of those things are completely compatible. Gonzalo, the leak and the Cerny info all add up. Could the reddit leak be fake? Sure, but people dismissing the photos, and the fact it all lines up with all other info we have (gonzalo, cerny) is foolhardy.

This and gonzalo are the most credible leaks we have. They both corroborate each other AND what cerny has revealed through Wired.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If this turns out to be true, consider me shocked, because I always expected MS to go for a specialized hardware solution while Sony doesn't.

I don't think what he said suggests no RT hw for the next Xbox.

What he said is true of nVidia's RTX solution, and of anything coming anytime soon in terms RT specific hardware I think. That is, some mix of some compute ('software') resources with acceleration of some components in more specific hardware. Now in fairness, RTX (for example) does accelerate a lot, but it does also lean a bit into plain compute.

(That's forgetting that even with all the specialised hardware in the world, you need a software layer (api) to talk to it. So to talk in terms that includes 'software' certainly doesn't rule out some RT specific hardware stuff at some level)

Dont you think that 13 TF and RT hardware is too good to be true

IMO, a bit, yes. At least at the price/cost thresholds I've been expecting (for PS5).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.