• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
How about this theory. If Sony are launching in late 2020, and IF Microsoft are aiming to launch sooner (maybe early 2020), could all this "most powerful" talk with Anaconda be their message saying they'll have to most powerful platform upon launch? It would obviously be more powerful than anything Sony would have at the time and could be more powerful than Stadia. Does this possibly fit with the wording of their leaks?

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
How about this theory. If Sony are launching in late 2020, and IF Microsoft are aiming to launch sooner (maybe early 2020), could all this "most powerful" talk with Anaconda be their message saying they'll have to most powerful platform upon launch? It would obviously be more powerful than anything Sony would have at the time and could be more powerful than Stadia. Does this possibly fit with the wording of their leaks?

My take on the think that Klobrile posted was that he was basically in contact with someone from the marketing department (own speculation). "Clearly more powerful", well 1 more TF than your competitor is "Clearly more powerful". Not to mention in this very thread we had Brad Sams say there's only so much you can do with the cpu and gpu because their both using ostensibly the same stuff from AMD in the same time period, the differentiation can come in different ways and degrees

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
I don't think so.

I mean it would be a legitimate statement for 6 months - but during, and prior to, if the then-soon-to-be-released PS5 is more powerful then Sony can just sing that loud and proud. MS could sit there and say 'most powerful console available' and it won't matter if you are someone who is in it for the power.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Optane is limited to Intel CPUs / Chipsets, at least on PC, so I would suppose it is fake.

Huh? I'm not saying that post is real, but it says 'optane-like' solution and not optane itself lol...

Also, embedded SSD + regular HDD is what I've been saying all along lol. Said it earlier this thread.... that reddit poster is def reading this thread and came up with that post with info from here lol...

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
lol, you've been saying some curious things as of late, like this and that comment the other day about 2 Playstation devkits. Anything more you'd like to share? :)

With all the info about sony's Profit coming out, I wouldn't take the fact Phil wants to have the most powerful console as proof Xbox will be more powerful. I'm sure Phil also wants the best selling console but I don't see that happening, at least not for certain.

The stars are very much aligning for another arms race next gen

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Lets hope the usual big outlets are writing their devkit specs articles as we speak. I can't take many more clickbait Reddit leaks.

Who's the betting on being first to the punch? I remember Giant Bomb beat DF to the Pro leak.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Just a matter of days before some outlets gets corroborated informations from multiple sources.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
lol, you've been saying some curious things as of late, like this and that comment the other day about 2 Playstation devkits. Anything more you'd like to share? :)
To be fair, Cerny himself said there was a 'lower powered' devkit out to developers at the time of the Wired interview so there probably is 2 devkits out there at the moment ;)

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Huh? I'm not saying that post is real, but it says 'optane-like' solution and not optane itself lol...

Also, embedded SSD + regular HDD is what I've been saying all along lol. Said it earlier this thread.... that reddit poster is def reading this thread and came up with that post with info from here lol...
Probably, but I don't know any other company right now that could achieve the low latency of Optane. Or do you know a technology similar to it?

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

He should take that knowledge and educate the YouTube and Facebook comments like myself instead of making rumors It's a losing battle but I fight it all the same

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
To be fair, Cerny himself said there was a 'lower powered' devkit out to developers at the time of the Wired interview so there probably is 2 devkits out there at the moment ;)

I took that to mean it was an existing first devkit that only first-party+SN Systems/ICE Team etc and possibly very select third-party devs got. That is the one that was rumoured to be out there as long ago as early last year. The one going out this month I take to be much closer to, or even final, spec what with a QS Gonzalo chip showing up. It would make sense a near/final devkit would be sent out with documents detailing its specs and capabilities and hence Sony rightly expecting things to leak.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Probably, it was just odd the way thuway phrased it, as though the dev had a choice between 2 devkits.
Oh well that would just be silly then!
Of course, devkits are always much more powerful than the final hardware so really I don't think anyone knows anything with regards to specs at this point. That said, I would assume MS would attempt to move heaven and earth to be the more powerful console, they really need that sort of PR boost going into next gen.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Probably, but I don't know any other company right now that could achieve the low latency of Optane. Or do you know a technology similar to it?

I don't, but I also don't think Sony would be lying about "faster than PC SSD". We'll just have to wait and see 🤷‍♂️.

Off-topic, but fuck these resetera ads on mobile (iPhone).. they keep reloading and removing my keyboard while I'm making a post, then I accidentally touch the ads.. super shitty..

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
With dev kits now out in the wild, if we're lucky, we might start hearing some solid information from leaks to sites like Kotaku and Digital Foundry as early as next week.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017

I don't believe the following to be real, but for a real "what if":

- MS strongly expects Sony to launch in 2019 because of the earlier Pro release and rumblings about the PS360 period dragging on for too long, 25th anniversary

- MS plans a late spring 2020 release, expecting a nice huge power lead from going ~6 months later with better yields and $499 target

- Sony actually planned for late 2020, now enjoying the benefits of going 6 months later compared to MS

- both Anaconda and PS5 are within spitting distance as a result (and AMD not actually being able to do magic for either and go with a 16 Tflops monster in a plastic shoe box, no matter the money spent)

- this thread breaks the interwebs

Actually I'd rather like this, even if I don't expect it. They'll probably both pull the usual dirty moneyhats and (timed) exclusive content shit, anyway, but in that reality we'd possibly get more aggressive sales from both.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I would find it hard to believe Microsoft launches earlier and the system is meaningfully more powerful then sony's.

Don't think they do this, but if Microsoft announces March release 2020, the powerful sku will cost a good amount if it's more powerful then a fall 2020 Sony ps5.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Optane is just Intel's marketing name for 3D XPoint, which Micron had a 50% stake in as well. Intel just sold all of their half of the manufacturing capacity for it to Micron anyway.

What 3D XPoint actually is seems to be a trade secret. Intel/Micron don't give many details on how it works, but what analysis there has been suggests that its a form of phase change memory, which no one else knows how to produce at this time.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
How close to launch can they reasonably change specs? I know the PS4, 360, and Switch all had their ram increased, at what point do they have to "lock it in" so to speak?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I think Microsoft using the wording "performance leader" in the docs make me think they don't expect the specs to be that far apart from PS5. Maybe 10/20%?

As much of the difference might be on the software/optimization side?

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
How close to launch can they reasonably change specs? I know the PS4, 360, and Switch all had their ram increased, at what point do they have to "lock it in" so to speak?
Its safe to say that GPU and CPU architecture is done being decided on. They should be wrapping up now things that change the die size and physical implementation of the hardware right now (so things like custom features, how many CUs, how much cache, ect.). They've probably got another 9 months to lock down memory capacity, and clock speed is a moving target that gets a narrower possible range as they get closer to release, but can be changed by at least some amount all the way to the point of launch.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If TLOU 2 launches this year, then you can safely assume a PS5 version will launch alongside the console, alongside a PS5 only Horizon 2. WOW!
Honestly I think they'll just have PS5 patches for games like TLoU. When the PS5 comes out they'll just have a new print that says PS4/PS5 like MS did

Example of 360 game with Xbox One Branding. Maybe they can replace the banner below the logos with "Enhanced on PS5" or something like that.
s-l1000.jpg

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Okay so, I'm a little confused about the Lockhart.

Microsoft would want this to be like $200 less expensive than Anaconda as like a "budget" system releasing at $399... kind of sounds like a parody.

But I'm kind of confused where the $200 in savings could come from.

So they will probably tank the GPU from 11-12 teraflops in the base system to around 4 teraflops in the cheaper system.

Then they could reduce the RAM a little bit because of no 4K.

If it's using an SSD, they could potentially cut down on the size of the SSD of the cheaper one (though that would be really inconvenient for consumers I think...).

But I still don't think this gets to $200 in savings very easily?
They would be using chips that failed the requirements for the higher end system such as clockspeed & voltage. Usually these chips just wouldn't be used for anything. They would also be using slower memory and most likely a different type same with the boards that can't handle the voltage requirements for the higher end system

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Does everyone expect Sony to keep with the blue colour scheme? They haven't exactly been consistent with the logo colouring. It went rainbow, blue-black, silver, blue

Status
Not open for further replies.