• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of these posts stem from wishful thinking for the posters favorite console and not anything reliable. All we know for sure in how the consoles stack up is that MS intends to be the leader in power and they likely have a 2 console strategy. We also have the wired interview which has some tidbits but can't speak to much. We have 1000s of posts speculating with very little to go on. It's fun to imagine different scenarios but the power discussion is premature at this point. These boxes could be similar or one could blow the other out of the water for all we know.
I think you're still missing the point here. When people speculate or "wishful think" about PS5 being a powerful device or more powerful than the Xbox equivalent based on "insider" and "leaked" information it's almost immediately dismissed. There's almost no discussion around it.

Then again, no one knows anything which is why this is a speculation thread. Just like you speculating that Microsoft intends to be the leader in power is pure speculation, it should not be dismissed, but discussed. Why do you think Microsoft intends to be the leader in power?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I honestly hope they using one big pool of gddr6 instead downclockd HBM2 like that leak was suggesting ..
If chris is right it seems like the bandwidth differences wont be that large, and with this method the "efficiency" of the HBM+DDR4 ram is better
I never posted here, and this thread moves too fast, so I have a question.
If 4k and 30fps is going to be the norm, how realistic is to expect that PS5 and the more expensive version of Xbox have a feature where I can choose to play in 1080p and 60fps? Honestly, I'm not in a hurry to get a 4k TV as long as my Panasonic plasma works.
Like with every generation it depends on developer priority. If the developer decides to leave a CPU overhead for a second 60fps mode on lower res it will be there. If the developer decides to completely squeeze out CPU resources with a 30fps target, that wont happen. All depends on developer targets.

Last edited:
Memory bandwidth calculations summary
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
how much bandwidth do you think will be reached with a 24GB? i am sorry i just do not know how to calculate the memory bandwidth.

It's really simple to calculate, modiz.

Bandwidth is the product of = bus width x chip speed

Bus width determines the mimum number of memory chips and each GDDR6 chip has 32 lanes.

So,

8 chips = 32 x 8 = 256 bit memory bus
12 chips = 32 x 12 = 384 bit memory bus

Now for each of the above you can double the number of chips by arranging in clamshell mode on the PCB, which gives you double the memory capacity but the same bus width.

24GB of memory can be achieved by:
12x 2GByte chips
24x 1GByte chips in clamshell mode

The memory bandwidth is as mentioned above a product of the bus width and chip speed.

Currently Micron, SK Hynix and Samsung make 16Gbit/s GDDR6 chips.

So,
384 bit bus x 16Gb/s ÷ 8 bits/Byte = 768 GB/s bandwidth

Consoles, however, will probably go with lower clocked memory chips that they can source in higher volume for cheaper (as 16Gb/s are some of the fastest currently available chips).

So with 14Gb/s chips,
384 bit bus x 14Gb/s ÷ 8 bits/Byte = 672 GBytes/s bandwidth

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think you're still missing the point here. When people speculate or "wishful think" about PS5 being a powerful device or more powerful than the Xbox equivalent based on "insider" and "leaked" information it's almost immediately dismissed. There's almost no discussion around it.

Then again, no one knows anything which is why this is a speculation thread. Just like you speculating that Microsoft intends to be the leader in power is pure speculation, it should not be dismissed, but discussed. Why do you think Microsoft intends to be the leader in power?

It's not speculation though. It's pretty much the only confirmed leak that we have.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
If chris is right it seems like the bandwidth differences wont be that large, and with this method the "efficiency" of the HBM+DDR4 ram is better

GDDR6 will probably be better but not by much. The most interesting things is on the cost and consumption side.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3032-vega-56-cost-of-hbm2-and-necessity-to-use-it

It is against GDDR5 and I think GDDR6 consume less than GDDR5 but the example use 8Gb of GDDR5. The Anaconda will have 24Gb or 16 Gb of RAM.

Speaking with Buildzoid, we know that Vega: Frontier Edition's 16GB HBM2 pulls 20W max, using a DMM to determine this consumption. This ignores the voltage controller's 3.3v draw, but we're still at 20W memory, and no more than an additional 10W for the controller – that's less than 30W for the entire memory system on Vega: Frontier Edition.
We also know that an RX 480 uses 40-50W for its 8GB, which is already a significant increase in power consumption per-GB over Vega: FE. The RX 480 also has a memory bandwidth of 256GB/s with 8GB GDDR5, versus Vega 64's 484GB/s. The result is increased bandwidth, the same capacity, and lower power consumption, but at higher cost to build. In order for an RX 480 to hypothetically reach similar bandwidth, power consumption would increase significantly. Buildzoid calculates that a hypothetical 384-bit GDDR5 bus on Polaris architecture would push 60-75W, and an imaginary 512-bit bus would do 80-100W. For this reason alone, HBM2 saves AMD from high power budget that would otherwise be spent solely on memory. This comes down to architectural decisions made years ago by AMD, which are most readily solved for with HBM2, as HBM2 provides greater bandwidth per watt than GDDR5. HBM is effectively a necessity to make Vega at least somewhat power efficient while keeping the higher memory bandwidth. Imagine Vega 56, 64, or FE drawing an additional 70-100W – the world wouldn't have it, and it'd be among the hottest cards since the GTX 480 or R9 290X.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017
Not to worry, Xbox will likely be using gddr6. Ps5 will be using superior HBM

Your wish is granted
Wtf is this ? Putting on a side your console war .
I said that because the leak suggest a inferior bandwidth than gddr6 ....so it would be just for future cost saving ..and for how much I trust the supervisor that make see two pool as unified i think it could be an hassle for the devs for the different type of speed

So yeah I hope for gddr6 on the ps5 for it's best

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I must have missed it then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well the thing is, intention and the outcome can be two different things.

Count me in as one who thinks Anaconda will be a better performing machine than the PS5 (due to MS' methodology on nailing down the specs for a system) but for the past few weeks there seems to be the same group of users throwing out snide remarks when someone talks about the possibility of the PS5 being a much stronger machine.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Well the thing is, intention and the outcome can be two different things.

Count me in as one who thinks Anaconda will be a better performing machine than the PS5 (due to MS' methodology on nailing down the specs for a system) but for the past few weeks there seems to be the same group of users throwing out snide remarks when someone talks about the possibility of the PS5 being a much stronger machine.

Few weeks , that is putting it nicely .
This is same thread that for a good while last year had PS5 at 8TF .
For no other reason than that mind set really since there was nothing to back that up .

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I noticed since few weeks back.all the supposed developer leaks mention ps5 is stronger than anaconda.either PS fans are going crazy and creating fake rumors left and right lol or in fact ps5 is stronger than anaconda.interesting times ahead either way.

For me unfortunately I m stuck with PlayStation due to all of my games being digital and playing alot of them still. First 2 3 years of a new console , BC is a big factor for me .

LOL at anyone looking at crap like 4chan or pastebin as "developer leaks". I have more than enough knowledge about realistic options for a PS5 that I could go on there today and post something about how "I work in support of an unnamed AAA developer and have seen how amazing the PS5 is, blah, blah, blah...". We will know a real leak when we get it, and it will be backed up by those outside of anonymous message boards.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
New Sony patents could be PlayStation's answer to Google Stadia

6ccc2e855d4e1aeb5628608aca1d2c88.jpg

If you're one of the many people clamoring for details and updates related to the next generation of home console gaming, Sony has dropped a few patents that could be related to the PlayStation 5 and a next-generation virtual reality headset. One particular patent reads like an answer to Google Stadia and the other focuses on controlling a VR experience using your voice.

The Google Stadia team is positioning the game streaming platform as a flexible option with significant benefits over the competition, but one of its competitors may be working on an answer to Stadia's ability to reach gamers no matter what type of hardware a consumer may be working with.

A Sony patent revealed a "system for combining recorded application state with application streaming interactive video output." With this, a game would be fed through a hosting service that can be accessed over the internet via a set-top box, PC, or mobile device. That device transmits the game to a monitor or HD TV and players control it with mouse and keyboard or a controller.

More at the link

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Well, this does open another hypothetical discussion that Sony might be able to get parts with big discounts if the server infrastructure mimicks the retail units regarding specs.

Yup. I've long wondered how the PS Now/xCloud side of things will compare to and affect units at launch of each respective console. If each company plans to sell several million consoles at launch then how much online infrastructure are they likely to have up and running at launch using next gen hardware? Will more of the chip manufacturing capacity go towards the online infrastructure at launch than the consoles themselves? I'm very curious to see what the split will be.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Yes? What Phil said and that leaked document make it pretty clear that they intend to have the most powerful console on the market.
Every company intends to have the best console same for Nintendo in what they do, so saying Y console will be stronger because the head of y console said they intend to be stronger is stupid,
I know xbox has every intention to be but unless there spending crazy amounts of money or know what Sony is putting in their console, there is no way for xbox or anyone to know so I don't understand why ppl keep using that statement as absolute

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Yeah, but Phil and hmqgg said it WILL BE!! Btw. Hmqgg later changed the tone and said MS is aiming. Probably because to avoid huge backslash if happens otherwise.
K... That's not what the convo was about.
Every company intends to have the best console same for Nintendo in what they do, so saying Y console will be stronger because the head of y console said they intend to be stronger is stupid,
I know xbox has every intention to be but unless there spending crazy amounts of money or know what Sony is putting in their console, there is no way for xbox or anyone to know so I don't understand why ppl keep using that statement as absolute
Again, the whole point is that it's not just speculation that MS intends to have the most powerful console. We don't really know what Sony's strategy is next gen. They very well might care more about hitting a certain price point than having the most powerful console.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is it? Mind you that hmqgg and Klob know shit about how much PS5 will be strong, let alone Phil Spencer.

The guy did say that the dante devkit was more powerful than the PS5 one. But he also seems biased to me so yeah that take with a huge grain of salt.

Yes? What Phil said and that leaked document make it pretty clear that they intend to have the most powerful console on the market.

So does sony with every console they release. Kind of pointless discussion to be honest.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
K... That's not what the convo was about.

Again, the whole point is that it's not just speculation that MS intends to have the most powerful console.
AGAIN NO ONE SAID IT WAS SPECULATION

How can ms guarantee that their console will be stronger than sony's ? How can they know for certain? Again only want you can make that guarantee is if you're spending wild amounts of money that's absurd(Sony with ps3) or you know Sony information

I'm not saying the next xbox won't be stronger but to speak on that in absolute is silly

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
AGAIN NO ONE SAID IT WAS SPECULATION

How can ms guarantee that their console will be stronger than sony's ? How can they know for certain? Again only want you can make that guarantee is if you're spending wild amounts of money that's absurd(Sony with ps3) or you know Sony information

I'm not saying the next xbox won't be stronger but to speak on that in absolute is silly
Literally the post I was replying to said it was specualtion...

Jan 17, 2019
The guy did say that the dante devkit was more powerful than the PS5 one. But he also seems biased to me so yeah that take with a huge grain of salt.

You mean this post

Not until Dante was released its first version (this month actually) and devs made judgement on these devkits. But I still would use the word "aim" since devkits couldn't represent the final version, and MS clearly aims at becoming the Performance Leader.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...a-dont-want-none.112607/page-41#post-20115606

Mind you that he changed the tone. Before this he claimed Anaconda WILL be more powerful, later he switched to "aim".

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'm not understanding what you mean to be honest lol
Lost in translation
Someone said it was only speculation that MS intends to have the most powerful console. I replied that considering the info we have it isn't just speculation. That's it. I'm not claiming that because of their intention it's guaranteed that they're going to have the most powerful console.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good lord someone drop some new rumors please. This last page has been painful. I'll even take some fresh 4chan shit.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
New Sony patents could be PlayStation's answer to Google Stadia

6ccc2e855d4e1aeb5628608aca1d2c88.jpg

If you're one of the many people clamoring for details and updates related to the next generation of home console gaming, Sony has dropped a few patents that could be related to the PlayStation 5 and a next-generation virtual reality headset. One particular patent reads like an answer to Google Stadia and the other focuses on controlling a VR experience using your voice.

The Google Stadia team is positioning the game streaming platform as a flexible option with significant benefits over the competition, but one of its competitors may be working on an answer to Stadia's ability to reach gamers no matter what type of hardware a consumer may be working with.

A Sony patent revealed a "system for combining recorded application state with application streaming interactive video output." With this, a game would be fed through a hosting service that can be accessed over the internet via a set-top box, PC, or mobile device. That device transmits the game to a monitor or HD TV and players control it with mouse and keyboard or a controller.

More at the link

Filed April 29, 2014.

Too many sites just latch onto patents that get clerical updates that don't actually reveal anything new.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused why people who think Microsoft will be selling the more powerful console are being called out. I prefer PlayStation as a brand and if both launched the same day would buy ps5 first.

But.....given the credible information in a sea of disinformation it's logical to think Microsoft are attempting to release the more expensive and more powerful hardware. Will it work that way? Who knows? Throwing around fanboyish claims isn't necessary.

As more information is released we will get to the bottom of the mystery of who is doing what.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Filed April 29, 2014.

Too many sites just latch onto patents that get clerical updates that don't actually reveal anything new.

I was gonna say that read like remote play. I do hope they update it, expand on it.

I'm confused why people who think Microsoft will be selling the more powerful console are being called out. I prefer PlayStation as a brand and if both launched the same day would buy ps5 first.

But.....given the credible information in a sea of disinformation it's logical to think Microsoft are attempting to release the more expensive and more powerful hardware. Will it work that way? Who knows? Throwing around fanboyish claims isn't necessary.

As more information is released we will get to the bottom of the mystery of who is doing what.
Because from what I've read over the past 10+ pages anyone who suggests the PS5 will be is piled on, laughed at, called a troll, etc.

And it's sad because it's all speculation...nothings absolutely confirmed yet.

Like, if MS was to confirm they are launching after PS5 no matter what, I could agree they could have the most powerful console. Them doing 2 skus kind of points to that too.

I just don't like how anything PS5 being more powerful is attacked.

Sorry, IMO the worse thing that mods did was combine the PS5, next Xbox threads. It was PS5 only, the next Xbox thread came much later... and someone decided to combine them.

Last edited:

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Someone said it was only speculation that MS intends to have the most powerful console. I replied that considering the info we have it isn't just speculation. That's it. I'm not claiming that because of their intention it's guaranteed that they're going to have the most powerful console.
Gotcha I know that sounded like you were claiming that it will but regardless it's a mute point any company that puts out a console wants the best

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I think the PS side are arguing that the MS side is berrating those who suggest the PS5 could be more powerful than Anaconda, and we're seeing the effects of one overreaction on top of another overreaction.

Me, I'll continue to believe that both consoles will have benefits over the other. Which one will claim the coveted TF crown? Who knows. Each will have some points that fanboys will latch onto to claim their console of choice is the most powerful, that's what I think will happen.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Wtf is this ? Putting on a side your console war .
I said that because the leak suggest a inferior bandwidth than gddr6 ....so it would be just for future cost saving ..and for how much I trust the supervisor that make see two pool as unified i think it could be an hassle for the devs for the different type of speed

So yeah I hope for gddr6 on the ps5 for it's best

Well there was the HBM cooling Sony patent after all... But honestly I do believe it's gonna be GDDR6 since Navi is based with R6 in mind.

Jan 17, 2019
I find it very interesting in this thread that any sources that suggest the PS5 is powerful, any suggestions that it could be as powerful or more powerful than the Anaconda are completely pooped upon. If you look at the attitudes to any leaks suggesting the PS5 is powerful they are basically dismissed. There is a very strange cohort of users who seem to be rooting for the PS5 to be weak.

Yep. That's how it works here. :D One member few pages back said PS5 will be more powerful - "talk out of his ass", "joke post"....you name it

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I used to defend this thread continuing endlessly, but considering we devolved into petty console warrior bullshit for the past hundred pages, I vote we shut it down until an actual leak emerges.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think the PS side are arguing that the MS side is berrating those who suggest the PS5 could be more powerful than Anaconda, and we're seeing the effects of one overreaction on top of another overreaction.

Me, I'll continue to believe that both consoles will have benefits over the other. Which one will claim the coveted TF crown? Who knows. Each will have some points that fanboys will latch onto to claim their console of choice is the most powerful, that's what I think will happen.
The only posts that are being met with serious pushback are the ones predicting that Ps5 is going to be more powerful and less expensive.
Yep. That's how it works here. :D One member few pages back said PS5 will be more powerful - "talk out of his ass", "joke post"....you name it
This isn't happening.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
OMG this thread!

We need a dedicated thread to discuss the rumours only, not regurgitate what is/is not important...because not everyone can be right so just let it go.

Please... for my sanity...

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14333/samsung-announces-3nm-gaa-mbcfet-pdk-version-01

Samsung Announces 3nm GAA MBCFET PDK, Version 0.1

However, like planar transistors, FinFET transistors eventually reach a point where they cannot scale as process nodes shrink. In order to scale, that contact area between the channel and the gate needs to increase, and the way to do this is to use a Gate-All-Around (GAA) design. GAA adjusts the dimensions of the transistor to ensure that the gate is also below the channel, not only on the top and the sides. This allows a GAA design to stack transistors vertically, rather than laterally.

One of the features of MCBFETs that wasn't specifically listed in Samsung's press release is that nano-sheet based FETs are extremely customizable. The width of the nanosheet is a key metric in defining the power and performance characteristics: the higher the width, the higher the performance (at higher power). Samsung has included in its PDK four different nanosheet widths in order to provide co-optimization within the same chip design: transistor designs that focus on low power can use smaller nanosheets, while logic that requires higher performance can go for the wider sheets, but ultimately it's a continuous scale. By contrast, FinFETs only have one power/frequency design point within a process node design for a given fin count, creating only discrete profiles possible.

Samsung is making a lot of promises with its first 3GAE process. One of the headlines is lowering the operating voltage from 0.75 volts to 0.70 volts, which will be a good step in power. The headline PPA values that Samsung is announcing are also impressive: compared to 7nm, 3GAE will offer 1.35x performance, 0.5x power, with a 0.65x die area.

Samsung states that these performance numbers are based on using larger width cells for critical paths where frequency is important, and smaller width cells for non-critical paths where power savings are crucial. Technically Fmax of the widest cells is listed as 1.5x, while power at Fmax is 0.6x. Power at iso-performance is where the 0.5x number comes from.

Bring on the mid gen refresh.

Edit: a little commentary on GAAFETs. I would view GAAFETs as the ultimate evolution of traditional transistors as we know them. You can't get any more surface area to volume ratio than a gate which completely surrounds your channel. You also eliminate the body effect by having channels suspended in a gate encasement, but you lose the ability to bias the body to control transistor characteristics such as seen in FDSOI.

To go from here, we need new switching devices, new materials, and new computing paradigms. Inserting other semiconductor materials such as SiGe can make some progress, but we've got to break away from MOSFETs to make a true leap.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still going with the baseless speculation that while desktop Navi GPUs will be GDDR6 based, they are also working on Navi GPUs with HBM that can be used for datacenters.

This will be the basis for PS5's and Xbox new cloud based GPUs (and possibly future mid gen console)

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

Can we end the persecution complex BS? He said the PS5 would be $100 cheaper and more powerful based on absolutely no information. Those kind of claims will rightfully be challenged because they don't make sense. If you told me the XBOX was $100 cheaper and would outperform the PS5 (Lockhart) I would respond the same way.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
It's really simple to calculate, modiz.

Bandwidth is the product of = bus width x chip speed

Bus width determines the mimum number of memory chips and each GDDR6 chip has 32 lanes.

So,

8 chips = 32 x 8 = 256 bit memory bus
12 chips = 32 x 12 = 384 bit memory bus

Now for each of the above you can double the number of chips by arranging in clamshell mode on the PCB, which gives you double the memory capacity but the same bus width.

24GB of memory can be achieved by:
12x 2GByte chips
24x 1GByte chips in clamshell mode

The memory bandwidth is as mentioned above a product of the bus width and chip speed.

Currently Micron, SK Hynix and Samsung make 16Gbit/s GDDR6 chips.

So,
384 bit bus x 16Gb/s ÷ 8 bits/Byte = 768 GB/s bandwidth

Consoles, however, will probably go with lower clocked memory chips that they can source in higher volume for cheaper (as 16Gb/s are some of the fastest currently available chips).

So with 14Gb/s chips,
384 bit bus x 14Gb/s ÷ 8 bits/Byte = 672 GBytes/s bandwidth

This is a great post that lays the calculation out in an easy to understand fashion. I think it would make a good threadmark Phoenix Splash

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14333/samsung-announces-3nm-gaa-mbcfet-pdk-version-01

Samsung Announces 3nm GAA MBCFET PDK, Version 0.1

Bring on the mid gen refresh.

Edit: a little commentary on GAAFETs. I would view GAAFETs as the ultimate evolution of traditional transistors as we know them. You can't get any more surface area to volume ratio than a gate which completely surrounds your channel. You also eliminate the body effect by having channels suspended in a gate encasement, but you lose the ability to bias the body to control transistor characteristics such as seen in FDSOI.

To go from here, we need new switching devices, new materials, and new computing paradigms. Inserting other semiconductor materials such as SiGe can make some progress, but we've got to break away from MOSFETs to make a true leap.

I was wondering, do you have any images of what these sorts of advancements actually physically look like, zoomed down to the nanometre scale? I feel like that would help me understand them more. Even on larger scales - like, I still can't really find comparison images of what differently sized memory buses actually look like.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I was wondering, do you have any images of what these sorts of advancements actually physically look like, zoomed down to the nanometre scale? I feel like that would help me understand them more. Even on larger scales - like, I still can't really find comparison images of what differently sized memory buses actually look like.
There some great cutaway images of FinFETs out there. GAAFETs would be harder to find as they're developmental. IBM may have something as they're involved in development still and they love to tout advances.

The Anandtech article has good cartoons for the concepts.

Jan 17, 2019
Can we end the persecution complex BS? He said the PS5 would be $100 cheaper and more powerful based on absolutely no information. Those kind of claims will rightfully be challenged because they don't make sense. If you told me the XBOX was $100 cheaper and would outperform the PS5 (Lockhart) I would respond the same way.

LOL. You need to realize that situation is also possible. And that's not the reason to attack him. Cheers!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
There some great cutaway images of FinFETs out there. GAAFETs would be harder to find as they're developmental. IBM may have something as they're involved in development still and they love to tout advances.

The Anandtech article has good cartoons for the concepts.

Thanks. Sadly I still find the cartoons hard to understand. I did find this video, but it seems like they couldn't actually zoom down to the transistor level:

You know what would be really cool? Google Earth, but with a huge, super-detailed electron microscope image of a microprocessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.