Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
From the link:

12.9 TF is pretty powerful.

8 core Zen 2, clocked at 3.2Ghz.

"Custom Navi GPU, 56CU, 1.8Ghz, 12.9TF. RT is hardware based, co engineered by AMD and Sony. (They believe the RT hardware is the basis for the rumour that Navi was built for Sony)

24GB RAM (Type or bandwidth wasn't mentioned)

Custom embeded Solid State solution paired with HDD.

No mention of PSVR 2. At all.

PS4 native backwards compatibility, Boost mode being worked on. No mention of enhanced titles. PS3 BC will stay as part of PS Now for the foreseeable future."

Ehhh...those reddit "leaks".

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Everything seems extremely plausible...problem is that it's very late days so someone could easily get all the very plausible info and collate it. Someone said the image is photoshopped though, which obviously means a fake
Yeah, its all perfectly reasonable info... That we've already mostly figured out. Its so conservative that it could readily be faked and not disproven.

Jun 18, 2018
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/bhabap/well_here_we_go/

Only things of note. 3.2 gig zen 2, optane like solution. ssd and hdd solution. Massive grains of salt.

But i did a reverse image search, and the image is original apparently

Annoying, the CPU and GPU numbers are ones we've seen a few times, so they could be copies, but I must admit, it's a spec I would be really, really happy with.

I don't think a straight up TFLOPs comparison will be a good benchmark for power this upcoming gen - there's going to be a lot of work to create balanced hardware with great real-time results over theoretical maximums. It's likely to be the first round of multi-platform software that gives us an indication of where the everyday power is at.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Like i said, if anything it's a well done fake. Some stuff seems too high, but not crazily so. Some of the info matches exactly but is vage (24 gig ram), some of the stuff is dissapointing yet expected like no ps3 backcompat and the room (most likely shopped) is a non descript conference room with Sony markings. A meeting wouldn't have Playstation stuff up outside of a specific trades show

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Would be real freaking disappointed if PS3 BC was still only PSNow based.

It would be entirely predictable IMO.

That reddit post sounds pretty great, but not necessarily too great to be unbelievable. The only thing that gives me pause is the idea of AMD/Sony custom RT hardware. That sounds a little maybe too good to be true, but then I'm still a bit skeptical of any specific RT hw in the consoles.

Still though, anyone could craft something like this. We need vetted leaks from the usual outlets!

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
How can you tell it's photoshopped? I'm not arguing, i honestly can never tell

I can't tell if it's photoshopped either. Especially because what's on the screens are off angle shots from a camera pointed at the podium.

What makes me doubt it though is that I don't see something like that being here sony will discuss specs.
The Zen clock and the Navi CU seem too high, and i was under the impression that SSD HDD solution was not ideal
It's not..... but it's still better than a straight up HDD though. The Zen clocks seem ok to me, the Navi though I agree is too high. 16something would have been more believable..... well unless navi GPUs come around later this year and we see them running at 2000Mhz+.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I can't tell if it's photoshopped either. Especially because what's on the screens are off angle shots from a camera pointed at the podium.

What makes me doubt it though is that I don't see something like that being here sony will discuss specs.

The "here" part is whats interesting. It's not exactly a closet, but not massive either. Would their be any way to find out if their actually was some kind of Sony meeting? I guess the whole point would be that it's secret

Edit: Is that CU number even doable?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

That reddit post sounds pretty great, but not necessarily too great to be unbelievable. The only thing that gives me pause is the idea of AMD/Sony custom RT hardware. That sounds a little maybe too good to be true, but then I'm still a bit skeptical of any specific RT hw in the consoles.

Still though, anyone could craft something like this. We need vetted leaks from the usual outlets!

Yeah agree on the RT part but last week we also had a ND artist hinting at hardware RT, so who knows.

Also from that rumor I don't like the "premium" talk, sounds like 599€ again.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

I concur. I simply latched on to the BC part because I really want to go back and play some PS3 exclusives, I own, down the line all potentially prettied up (Motorstorm PR, MGS 4... etc).

Personally my expectations for PS5 is far south of most folks here (expecting similar specs to Stadia).

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
12tf is double what X has. Coupled with the new cpu that is more than enough for a gen transition.

Pretty sure both ms and sony will end up in the 10-12tf range.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

It's not..... but it's still better than a straight up HDD though. The Zen clocks seem ok to me, the Navi though I agree is too high. 16something would have been more believable..... well unless navi GPUs come around later this year and we see them running at 2000Mhz+.

Could infinity fabric alleviate any sort of issues between an HDD and an SSD?

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay so, I'm a little confused about the Lockhart.

Microsoft would want this to be like $200 less expensive than Anaconda as like a "budget" system releasing at $399... kind of sounds like a parody.

But I'm kind of confused where the $200 in savings could come from.

So they will probably tank the GPU from 11-12 teraflops in the base system to around 4 teraflops in the cheaper system.

Then they could reduce the RAM a little bit because of no 4K.

If it's using an SSD, they could potentially cut down on the size of the SSD of the cheaper one (though that would be really inconvenient for consumers I think...).

But I still don't think this gets to $200 in savings very easily?
cheaper cooling, slower ssd, cheaper power supply. also the fact that the gpu chip will be the same chips as the more powerful box that dont cut it means they arent oparating a second node.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot about that. And then suddenly he said basically "just speculating!" even though ICE team literally shares the same building as ND

These are big teams. For parts of the teams that have exposure to this stuff, there may even be specific personal NDAs. They wouldn't necessarily be talking at the water cooler about this stuff... I tend to believe him when he says he has no idea.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/bhabap/well_here_we_go/

Only things of note. 3.2 gig zen 2, optane like solution. ssd and hdd solution. Massive grains of salt.

But i did a reverse image search, and the image is original apparently

Yeah, that HDD/SSD combo sounds like exactly how I thought they would go about it (If it is to be believed). I honestly think they will have a decent size SSD just to load the games fast and the HDD to store them. If true, I'm wondering what they would mean in regards to people upgrading their upgrading space.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Hypothetically. How long would it take transfer a game from HDD to SSD? I know there's so much variables. But did Cerny say a custom SSD solution?...using nvme and PCIe 4.0 isn't exactly custom

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Hypothetically. How long would it take transfer a game from HDD to SSD? I know there's so much variables. But did Cerny say a custom SSD solution?...using nvme and PCIe 4.0 isn't exactly custom
I think what you mentioned earlier about an "Optane" like solution is more likely that copying entire games to the SSD. I can't see them doing anything else but caching on the SSD. Otherwise you'd need to have users make decisions about where to install their games, have to load games into the SSD upon run (which is infeasible), or make developers manage themselves. Maybe they'll even extend HBCC all the way through to the hard drive.

I do think that the mention of a custom SSD "faster than anything on PC" should indicate something a bit more exotic that just an NVM-E SSD. I'm genuinely thinking there's a possibility of Micron 3D XPoint instead of NAND and maybe having the controller embedded into the APU so you get speeds similar to the Optane NVDIMMs that Intel has now. I can't think of any way to get faster with an "SSD".

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I think what you mentioned earlier about an "Optane" like solution is more likely that copying entire games to the SSD. I can't see them doing anything else but caching on the SSD. Otherwise you'd need to have users make decisions about where to install their games, have to load games into the SSD upon run (which is infeasible), or make developers manage themselves. Maybe they'll even extend HBCC all the way through to the hard drive.

I do think that the mention of a custom SSD "faster than anything on PC" should indicate something a bit more exotic that just an NVM-E SSD. I'm genuinely thinking there's a possibility of Micron 3D XPoint instead of NAND and maybe having the controller embedded into the APU so you get speeds similar to the Optane NVDIMMs that Intel has now. I can't think of any way to get faster with an "SSD".

So he did mention custom? Yeah their is nothing custom about a mass market nvme PCIe SSD. Interesting

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Those GPU specs literally don't add up. 56*64*2*1800= 12.4 TF.

Edit:NM miscalculated somehow.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol that reddit leak is such bullshit. i can make a leak better than that.

I was reading Richard's article on the Gonzolo rumors, and something just hit me. It's NOT the PS5 APU getting an upgrade. it's the Lockheart and the Anaconda APUs. Lockheart is the 8 tflops GPU at $399. Runs games at 1080p. Anaconda will require fancy cooling and will be the $499 premium console.

The main thing that convinced me was Richard mentioning how the APUs need to run windows on it to be able to access the 3D Marks benchmark. He was skeptical about why Sony or AMD would bother with adding support for windows, but I would imagine it would be much simpler for MS with all the windows engineers.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yeah, that HDD/SSD combo sounds like exactly how I thought they would go about it (If it is to be believed). I honestly think they will have a decent size SSD just to load the games fast and the HDD to store them. If true, I'm wondering what they would mean in regards to people upgrading their upgrading space.
Only real way the SSD+HDD combo really works (o at least as described) is that the SSD is locked out from the end user. So we can never upgrade the SSD. And it will probably be embedded on the PCB. The HDD however we can probably upgrade all we want and even put an SSD there too.

Technically, nothing stops them from having an NVMe SSD that's embedded on the PCB. Barring reparability issues, it will probably be cheaper for them to do that anyways.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's an odd mix of info, who is Sony telling all these specs to that aren't developers (otherwise it'd be a devkit and a spec sheet) and are interested in PS3 BC? And no one says or asks anything about VR? I can see large third party publishers not caring about VR, wondering about PS3 BC, and wanting some vague specs that they don't actually need, but why hold a meeting now to effectively hand all that info over to Microsoft?

Assuming a fast 2.5" HDD transferring a 100GB game, it'd take about 16 minutes at best, assuming a solid 100 MB/s transfer rate from the HDD. If that's true, their quest to eliminate load screens will have created the worst ones ever when you want to change games. Have mercy on anyone playing both Call of Duty and Battlefield in 2021.

As I recall, Cerny just said it would be faster than anything on PC now, which would include stuff that's standard on PCs a year or two from now.
At the moment, Sony won't cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.

I was reading Richard's article on the Gonzolo rumors, and something just hit me. It's NOT the PS5 APU getting an upgrade. it's the Lockheart and the Anaconda APUs. Lockheart is the 8 tflops GPU at $399. Runs games at 1080p. Anaconda will require fancy cooling and will be the $499 premium console.

The main thing that convinced me was Richard mentioning how the APUs need to run windows on it to be able to access the 3D Marks benchmark. He was skeptical about why Sony or AMD would bother with adding support for windows, but I would imagine it would be much simpler for MS with all the windows engineers.
I thought they mentioned the PS4 APUs going through the same tests.

Oct 27, 2017
From the link:

Well, 12.9 TF *is* pretty darn powerful.

The numbers look credible. Clocked a little higher than I was expecting but seems to be in the right ballpark.

I was expecting the number of compute units to be near the maximum like this. If the customer (Sony) was driving the requirements you'd expect them to extract the maximum out of what was planned to be available - costs permitting.

If it's a fake, it looks like the most considered yet.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Next gen Xboxes are not using APUs. They're using MCMs to maximize manufacturing efficiency across LockHart, Anaconda and Cloud.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

The ps4 and pro went through 3d mark too. Not to mention he did a comparison on the serial number methodology or whatever if Gonzalo and pre production ps4 chip

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

But it looks like the PS4 and PS4 pro APUs were tested in the same way. We also don't know if it's a big of a task as He thinks. Potentially, AMD has some intermediary software that allows it to test any chip with Windows. 3dMark is also not limited to Windows, not sure if it was confirmed somehow that it was Windows 3D mark and not some other version.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Only real way the SSD+HDD combo really works (o at least as described) is that the SSD is locked out from the end user. So we can never upgrade the SSD. And it will probably be embedded on the PCB. The HDD however we can probably upgrade all we want and even put an SSD there too.

Technically, nothing stops them from having an NVMe SSD that's embedded on the PCB. Barring reparability issues, it will probably be cheaper for them to do that anyways.

That sounds like exactly how it will be done, to be honest. That way, load times can remain consistent for the most part across users since they won't have to worry about different SSD types and how they make affect performance.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Assuming a fast 2.5" HDD transferring a 100GB game, it'd take about 16 minutes at best, assuming a solid 100 MB/s transfer rate from the HDD. If that's true, their quest to eliminate load screens will have created the worst ones ever when you want to change games. Have mercy on anyone playing both Call of Duty and Battlefield in 2021.
Don't forget about PlayGo. It only needs to move part of the game to get you going.

Also there were patents where even just hovering over a game in the menu would begin to load the game, so before you even press to launch the game it would be transferring the required data. In addition, learning which games you play often and would be likely to play next to again reduce those times.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Check out the PS3 Super Slim. It comes with 12GB flash storage. And it has a slot to install your own hard drive.

When you do that, it disables the 12GB. That shouldn't happen with the PS5. But I think it will be like the Super Slim, it was extremely easy to install your own hard drive internally. And do a system transfer.

The system was always backed up to the flash storage, IIRC. Either that or there was a backup always on there. I don't know any other benefits it had, but installing the hard drive internally being alot easier was nice.

I'm hoping it's something similar if they do this.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
It would be ridiculously unintelligent for MS to launch as a direct competitor to PS5. They've done so much work to distance Xbox as a platform, only to go head to head with Sony again? March 2020 is ideal for them. Launch Halo in Fall 2020 to steal some attention from PS5.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
ally be a situation of the Lockhart holding back the design of the higher end SKU? After all I've learned, it seems the upgrade path for price and perform

I would actually prefer ~12TFLOPs + RT hardware to ~14 TFLOPs with just compute.
But I think it's very hard to tell just how much die space RT hardware would take because we don't have a clue on what exactly is AMD doing and I don't think extrapolating Turing RTX numbers is a good starting place.

Status
Not open for further replies.