• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
16 or 20 is still a low overall multiplier so assuming we expect SSD to mitigate that, is it likely to make a significant meaningful difference which it is? 16 is obviously easier architecturally to support.

16GB will probably have more than twice as much memory available for the game when compared to the 12GB in the X, something like 4 to 5x the amount available for the PS4, and that's still pre-loading/caching quite a bunch of stuff.

A pretty inordinate amount of memory was used for pre-loading/caching, frequently more than half of the available RAM.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It is nice to see that important people from both Microsoft and Sony can both be excited and have some fun with next gen talk instead of the mess we all participate in here :) Cory and Phil are talking about possibly sitting next to each other at The Game Awards tonight here.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
16GB will probably have more than twice as much memory available for the game when compared to the 12GB in the X, something like 4 to 5x the amount available for the PS4, and that's still pre-loading/caching quite a bunch of stuff.

A pretty inordinate amount of memory was used for pre-loading/caching, frequently more than half of the available RAM.

The speed they can fill the entire RAM will be important too. If it is fast enough maybe we are worrying too much of the RAM quantity.

It is nice to see that important people from both Microsoft and Sony can both be excited and have some fun with next gen talk instead of the mess we all participate in here :) Cory and Phil are talking about possibly sitting next to each other at The Game Awards tonight here.

Gaming Industry peoples are much more friendly than console warriors.

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017
You guys are seriously underestimating the bandwidth, speed and latency differences between ssd's and ram, latency alone, average ram is about 1000 times quicker than the fastest nvme drives, ns to ms access times. Nothing is going to help with having a lack of memory.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
So you still need to design it to work with slow harddrive IO speeds.
Here's what they said

"
Halo Infinite Slipspace engine was developed with PC in mind (different hardware combinations ETC), and that PC will be "treated as a first-class citizen", but that halo PC flighting programs may come later than the other flights, due to technical challenges with developing for PC. AntiCheat for PC was already confirmed earlier this year."

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Here's what they said

"
Halo Infinite Slipspace engine was developed with PC in mind (different hardware combinations ETC), and that PC will be "treated as a first-class citizen", but that halo PC flighting programs may come later than the other flights, due to technical challenges with developing for PC. AntiCheat for PC was already confirmed earlier this year."

Aside from raw console exclusives I think it wouldn't even make sense for a developer to limit the work and abilities to a consoles capabilities if you are indeed working with a PC workstation that is a couple of times more powerful than a console. Sounds like a waste of money for me and talent of course.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
You guys are seriously underestimating the bandwidth, speed and latency differences between ssd's and ram, latency alone, average ram is about 1000 times quicker than the fastest nvme drives, ns to ms access times. Nothing is going to help with having a lack of memory.

A fair bit of memory is used to preload and cache assets, and that share of memory can be reduced if you can load data faster to it - i.e. instead of occupying 3GBs of RAM with preloaded data because you only have a 20MB/s pipe, you can reduce the preload amount to 1GB and rely on much faster and more frequent streaming at, say 1GB/s or more.

No, it won't help with active use of memory, but it will free up quite a bit of room.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

ps4 have around 5.5gb available for games, 5x5.5 = 27.5, also xox has 9 for games, 2x9 = 18, nice try ;d

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Here's what they said

"

I don't really care about what they are saying; I am pointing out at the fact that even if you develop for PC; it's not possible to make 'everything' scalable. Minimal specs will end up determining design choices.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
A fair bit of memory is used to preload and cache assets, and that share of memory can be reduced if you can load data faster to it - i.e. instead of occupying 3GBs of RAM with preloaded data because you only have a 20MB/s pipe, you can reduce the preload amount to 1GB and rely on much faster and more frequent streaming at, say 1GB/s or more.

No, it won't help with active use of memory, but it will free up quite a bit of room.

I really looking forward to some GDC vids to see how they use the SSD for certain speed .
The faster the more interesting things we might see happen .

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
ps4 have around 5.5gb available for games, 5x5.5 = 27.5, also xox has 9 for games, 2x9 = 18, nice try ;d

With a fast SSD the memory allocation will be different than in current gen games here the video and shared memory used for KZ Shadow Fall:

killzone-shadow-fall-demo-postmortem-8-638.jpg

killzone-shadow-fall-demo-postmortem-9-638.jpg

Here tons of things are preloaded inside memory. There is only 590 MB for streaming data...

You can have a much biger pool of Straming data(texture, geometry, precalculated data) with a fast SSD.

EDIT: Imagine a SSD where you turn the head and the SSD is able to fill the streaming pool so fast with totally new data and you see another world. Maybe we will have this on Xbox Scarlett and PS5.

EDIT2: Imagine some games where Alembic Geo Cache desruction is not a problem because the SSD can stream the data very fast for example.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
With a fast SSD the memory allocation will be different than in current gen games here the video and shared memory used for KZ Shadow Fall:

killzone-shadow-fall-demo-postmortem-8-638.jpg

killzone-shadow-fall-demo-postmortem-9-638.jpg

Here tons of things are preloaded inside memory. There is only 590 MB for streaming data...

You can have a much biger pool of Straming data(texture, geometry, precalculated data) with a fast SSD.

EDIT: Imagine a SSD where you turn the head and the SSD is able to fill the streaming pool so fast with totally new data and you see another world.
I know ssd will help but still, ssd can fill ram in seconds and we target 30 or 60 fps not 0.5 frame ;)

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Hopefully someone nicks those Scarlett photos off Phil so we can all have a look. Then again, this is 2019, not 1919 and they'll be on his phone rather than you know, actual photographs. :D

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is friends in what is ultimately a niche and somewhat incestuous industry. It's why the console warrior rhetoric is so ridiculous.

Come on now industry people do consoles waring just as much when they ready .
In fact sometimes they do it for PR , marketing and user base.
Still they getting paid so you can't blame them lol

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I know ssd will help but still, ssd can full ram in seconds and we target 30 or 60 fps not 0.5 frame ;)

Because you think you use all data in memory in a frame. :) You have not many things changing in a frame in one second you can change much more with a SSD latency in the ms is enough too. ;)

The worst movement is to turn at 180º. But imagine a game optimized for SSD where turning your head at 90ºc you can totally change the geometry and texture on screen.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Gaming Industry peoples are much more friendly than console warriors.
Everyone is friends in what is ultimately a niche and somewhat incestuous industry. It's why the console warrior rhetoric is so ridiculous.
All of this is true.
But they also are responsible of some of those wars throught PR talk.
What's funny is he probably would do that.
Probably

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

For those who think what is Alembic Cache destrution, this is in this video of Gears 5 visual art It is at 07:45 but I share the video on the right sequences. They use it for visual desruction during gameplay but sparingly because it use many RAM. With SSD in consoles we can imagine a more liberal use or use more often Geometry Cache duing gameplay sequence.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Nope it's not what I think :) As I wrote ssd will help but it's bot magic pillnfor lack of ram and 13gb for games doesn't look great for 2020-2027 time period

Other things virtual texturing is reducing RAM you need inside memory for texture and the bandwitdh need on storage side. With a perfect storage not the case of SSD but a single 4096*2048 texture would be enough to store all the texture pixels needed for a frame. We will need more but it helps with texture streaming.

I am not worrying at all for RAM size in Next generation consoles. I suppose we will have great demos to see what is possible to do with the SSD during next-generation consoles reveal.

Last edited:

Munki

Apr 30, 2019

God of War 5 coming to Scarlet confirmed!!! ;)

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
So you still need to design it to work with slow harddrive IO speeds.
I really don't think devs care tbh, i think they will tell PC gamers to play it on their SSD, they have been around for a decade now & there is no excuse, im sure a SATA3 SSD can do fine at min but tell people recommended is NVME.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't believe anyone has that level of access to info in that pastebin at both companies and is leaking at this point. A developer would not know the back and forth of that story.

Status
Not open for further replies.