• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

"If you remember the beginning of this generation we were a hundred dollars more expensive and yes, we were less powerful. And we started Project Scarlett with this leadership team in place with a goal of having market success."

"Spencer thinks there are plenty of generations of Xbox ahead."

"We will talk about the SKU lineup and how it works," says Spencer. "I think the root principle of we don't want to confuse people, we share that."

This all sounds to me like both PS5 and Scarlett will launch at $399.No way MS wants Scarlett to be $100 more expensive again.Fun times ahead!

Last edited:

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Doesn't that mean multiple console SKUs? Lockhart lives! And scuppers everything the more capable box will do.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

"If you remember the beginning of this generation we were a hundred dollars more expensive and yes, we were less powerful. And we started Project Scarlett with this leadership team in place with a goal of having market success."

"We will talk about the SKU lineup and how it works," says Spencer. "I think the root principle of we don't want to confuse people, we share that."

More than 1 SKU not off the table .... a new cycle of speculation has begun ... the Lockhart Wars ... now in a ResetEra thread near you ...

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't doubt that Scarlett will be more competitive price-wise. You can say a lot of things about Spencer, but what you can't say is that he isn't cognizant of the issues that plagued the Xbox One at the start of this generation. The Xbox One came out $100 more expensive than the PS4 and was outclassed in power at the same time. That's a 1-2 whammy that's hard to recover from coming out the gate, doubly so if you don't have compelling 1st party content to get people on board despite those stumbling blocks.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Wouldn't surprise me if multiple SKUs = 1 with and 1 without disc drive. In my opinion the XB1S All Digital is quite obvious a test to see how well such SKUs perform compared to the regular SKU which includes a disc drive.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"We will not be out of position on power or price"

That just means that this time around they'll be more competitive from the start.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017

This SKU lineup talk, does it mean Lockhart and Anaconda?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Basically what he is saying both consoles will likely be priced the same and perform with a minimal performance delta, neither know for sure which one will have the lead yet so he is careful with his wording, but this does seem to confirm what Klee was saying about how both are probably extremely close, which is only a good thing.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Unless either party is willing to take a huge loss on each unit sold I'm expecting both to be extremely similar in power at $499. The one way I could see Microsoft undercutting Sony a bit though is by releasing a 2nd, digital only SKU without a disc drive.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Basically what he is saying both consoles will likely be priced the same and perform with a minimal performance delta, neither know for sure which one will have the lead yet so he is careful with his wording, but this does seem to confirm what Klee was saying about how both are probably extremely close, which is only a good thing.

Yep something we have been hearing about for months now.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

This all sounds to me like both PS5 and Scarlett will launch at $399.No way MS wants Scarlett to be $100 more expensive again.Fun times ahead!

Sounds like Lockheart is back in the picture again.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
While those Game Pass games where big to me my biggest takeaway was that you can play your library free on xCloud. Same goes with Game Pass. Disclaimer: If I understood it all correctly.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I found it amusing and funny that neither Sony or MS, The biggest players in the field doesn't know about each other console and yet, individual knows about both consoles because * They know someone in the industry*
Lmao

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I am not so sure.But it seems to me that MS will not again launch more expensive console then PS.As Spencer said:"we want to compete"

Actually reading the full context in the article and the writer is conflating two different things (2 Scarlett SKUs alongside 2 Xbox SKUs). The former could be a big problem where as the latter isn't IMO and similar will apply with PS5 as they'll no doubt be PS4 and Pro alongside PS5 at launch.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
A bit of context was missing in the quote

I pressed Spencer several times on rumors about two consoles for the Project Scarlett release, and whether the lineup of Xbox One S, Xbox One X, and Project Scarlett will be a lot of choice for console shoppers in 2020. "We will talk about the SKU lineup and how it works," says Spencer. "I think the root principle of we don't want to confuse people, we share that."

So maybe not multiple SKUs of Scarlett. Just the whole Xbox family.

BitsandBytes Dude stop copying my posts! 😂😂😂

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
While those Game Pass games where big to me my biggest takeaway was that you can play your library free on xCloud. Same goes with Game Pass. Disclaimer: If I understood it all correctly.
Not all of your library, it's per game basis.
And if you don't have game pass you will need to subscribe to xcloud to use it, otherwise if you own game pass then any GP game on xcloud is playable on the cloud.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found it amusing and funny that neither Sony or MS, The biggest players in the field doesn't know about each other console and yet, individual knows about both consoles because * They know someone in the industry*
what makes you think MS doesnt know about Sony?

Why do you think they went from 'We will set the benchmark in console gaming' to 'the most powerful WE have ever built' in one year? surely, they realized that Sony had them beat and they would look silly making that claim again.

and devs have had devkits for months. they know the target specs of both consoles. everyone knows 90% of the specs. Clearly, Phill knows as well otherwise he wouldnt so confident about matching sony on price AND Power.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Actually reading the full context in the article and the writer is conflating two different things (2 Scarlett SKUs alongside 2 Xbox SKUs). The former could be a big problem where as the latter isn't IMO and similar will apply with PS5 as they'll no doubt be PS4 and Pro alongside PS5 at launch.
My main impression from this interview is that Spencer essentially admitted they are not globally competitive with $499 console.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

This. And by multiple SKUs he probably just means they are looking at, say, having an extra SKU with a bigger hard drive for example. Given hard drives have to be specialized apparently, it's possible they would release two different sizes. Such as 1TB and 2TB. But they don't want to appear as if they cost more than the competition.

So maybe they'll just not advertise the 2TB version up front. Like, announce the 1TB at $399, and then in the press release mention that there will also be a 2TB SKU for $449.

They're probably just looking at all the variations to include. Maybe they want to just make two prices. $399 and $499 and the $499 one is 2TB and includes a few premium things like a year of gamepass and a headset, or something like that. But maybe they want to avoid the look that $499 has.

Just remember SKU doesn't necessarily mean two distinct models basically.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
a) Not all of your library, it's per game basis.
b) And if you don't have game pass you will need to subscribe to xcloud to use it, otherwise if you own game pass then any GP game on xcloud is playable on the cloud.
a) of course only the games of your library that are supported by xCloud
b) That was the confusing part how they talked about it. I guess we will find out in more detail in a not far away future

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
How does one make that statement, what Phil said, without knowing what ps5 has or how much it will cost? As for the SKU line up, I'm thinking he means x one, x, and scarlett.
I am starting to think the $499 dream is dead, though.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
A bit of context was missing in the quote

So maybe not multiple SKUs of Scarlett. Just the whole Xbox family.

BitsandBytes Dude stop copying my posts! 😂😂😂
After reading the article, it seems the sku stuff was about the whole Xbox family and not multiple skus of scarlett.

"We will not be out of position on power or price" - this statement most likely means scarlett is going to be priced same as ps5 and power wise close to PS5.

Looks like kleegamefan might be correct with his info, that both consoles are very close to each other.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not all of your library, it's per game basis.
And if you don't have game pass you will need to subscribe to xcloud to use it, otherwise if you own game pass then any GP game on xcloud is playable on the cloud.
Seems to be that my understanding was more accurate ...

From Xbox Wire:
We believe that Project xCloud is a key component that will help us achieve our dream of gaming for everyone, everywhere in true Xbox style by…
  • Doing it in the way that requires no work for the developers: The over 3,500 games on Xbox One today & 1,900 games currently in development are already working on xCloud.
  • Bringing along your friends, your achievements, your saved game, and your progression so that you don't have to start over.
We believe in the freedom to play and the freedom to choose.

In 2020 we will enable gamers to stream from the cloud Xbox games that they already own or will purchase.
We will also add game streaming from the cloud to Xbox Game Pass.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I still think that's too little for a 7 year lifespan. 20GB for devs, 4GB for OS at least.
NVMe makes it uncomparable with current systems. When you have to cache assets in RAM because of slow HDDs, you waste a lot of RAM on just caching. Next gen consoles will fundamentally change that. If you can read at 4GB/s, you can fill ENTIRE RAM in 4 seconds (assuming 16GB). Contrast that with existing <100MB/s HDDs in the current consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.