Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 61179

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
iPhone prices and sales both went up for a time and maybe Ryan thinks, that there is a larger fanbase who are willing to spend 100 dollars more day 1, year 1 and 2.
Sony has also a wide retail connection, so good trade-in deals could be an option. A lot of ps5 exklusives should also help to convince people.

Otherwise there is still a chance for 399 €/$
A small high clocked apu, small and soldiered ssd (exp. Cartridge option) max. 16 GB RAM in any Variation.
Imho chances are slim for 399 and 499 is still good value for the zen2+navi+SSD combo

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Time from the lobby to map on internal SSD: 4 secs
Time from the lobby to map on external/non-propritary SSD: 18 secs.

The issue is because of that one person in that lobby using the slower solution you have the other 31 people in the lobby waiting 18 seconds too.
Are you suggesting that a platform holder to block access to another platform too? All efforts to support cross play will be thrown into the trashcan based on this argument.

Oct 25, 2017
I can see them needing to show stuff early to entice people that question the future of their first party lineup.
All they would need to do is deliver those games. They cannot turn into Scalebound and CD3. With the way game development works, I can see why there would be some resistance to it though. Everything could be going smoothly and then all of a sudden all Hell has broke loose. Now you have this announced game that you're scrambling to get together.

I suppose most of it comes down to good direction and leaders who can guide a talented team.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Are you suggesting that a platform holder to block access to another platform too? All efforts to support cross play will be thrown into the trashcan based on this argument.
It feels like a potential argument for cross play being next gen consoles only (ps5/nextbox) once install Base is big enough for it to be feasible.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Lobbies have to account for some time for loadout/character selection, so issues with cross play should be minimal

Aug 26, 2019
All they would need to do is deliver those games. They cannot turn into Scalebound and CD3. With the way game development works, I can see why there would be some resistance to it though. Everything could be going smoothly and then all of a sudden all Hell has broke loose. Now you have this announced game that you're scrambling to get together.

I suppose most of it comes down to good direction and leaders who can guide a talented team.
That's true in the long term. In the "now" sense, they need to get people hype about Scarlett

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

This sounds like the worst possible toilet paper.

It feels like a potential argument for cross play being next gen consoles only (ps5/nextbox) once install Base is big enough for it to be feasible.

I definitely would like for there to be an option to restrict cross-play to fellow systems with SSDs only. Maximilian has talked about how one of the biggest current issues with fighting games is the horrendous amount of time you spend just sitting in lobbies and waiting around to fight other people because of all the damn loading. A lot of current fighting games could be massively improved with next-gen only modes, and truly next-gen fighting games are going to be in another level. Imagine fighting one person in a match, and as soon as the match is done they disappear and are immediately replaced by a new player, or they just get back up for a rematch. No loading screens at all.

Lobbies have to account for some time for loadout/character selection, so issues with cross play should be minimal

Nah, lots of games allow you to preselect your character/team/load out and just jump into each match. Plenty will want that for the speed factor.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys I was reading jim Ryan's interview where he says from now on PS will not be 3 divisions (America, Europe and Japan) it will be one global brand .

Do we think they will let go of their shitty region save and dlc lock ?

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
It would make for a very good argument for blocking it.

But no I am not saying that. They could just make the "cross-play" lobby different
or Sony could force developers to prompt "External storage is not great so we add a text, slow to appear in your username" just to motivate players to install games in internal storage.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like the worst possible toilet paper.

I definitely would like for there to be an option to restrict cross-play to fellow systems with SSDs only. Maximilian has talked about how one of the biggest current issues with fighting games is the horrendous amount of time you spend just sitting in lobbies and waiting around to fight other people because of all the damn loading. A lot of current fighting games could be massively improved with next-gen only modes, and truly next-gen fighting games are going to be in another level. Imagine fighting one person in a match, and as soon as the match is done they disappear and are immediately replaced by a new player, or they just get back up for a rematch. No loading screens at all.

Nah, lots of games allow you to preselect your character/team/load out and just jump into each match. Plenty will want that for the speed factor.

SSD going to be a god send for fighting games.
Can't wait for loading to be done away with like the old arcade days .

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
I just skimmed over the last 40 pages (again), it's really not easy to keep up. ^^

One thing to keep in mind with the whole fast vs. wide thing is that Navi seems to have been specifically designed so it can scale up both with WGPs per SA (more straight-forward, less area overhead, probably runs into RB and cache bottlenecks sooner) and SAs per SE.

So you can go 4x SA with 24 WGPs (for 48 CUs) and the same amount of RBs and cache the RX 5700 XT has OR you could do 6x SA with 24 WGPs (for the same 48 CUs) and get 50% more RBs and L1 cache. That is to say, you'd probably get better performance scaling going with the second option at an area penalty.
I do wonder though if AMD will scale up to three Shader-Arrays or even more per SE?
IIRC I didn't mentioned it here but it was news to me that GCN1 already used two Shader Arrays per Shader Engine.
Tahiti for example looks like this:
EHA751YW4AAR2ur

EHA751XX4AAuq4j

Every GCN1 chip except Oland and Hainan (low-end chips) used two Shader Arrays per Shader Engine.
Just after that AMD used for every GPU just one SA per SE.
Navi is back to two SAs but of course on Navi they scale together with more logic.
The question is, what does AMD count as a Shader Engine on Navi?
If for example the Shader Processor Input (SPI) is per Shader Engine and feeding the Shader Arrays, like previously, than you might also not want to go beyond two Shader Arrays on Navi per SE.

They can be used for other things but I highly doubt a game will use the RT hardware for audio, pathfinding or other without using the unit for graphics first. All non-RT games, RT units are not used at all. And currently Tensor cores are not used for denoising, I am curious to know what is the reason.
Probably API reasons.

Up until recently with DirectML there was no common API and software abstraction to utilize Tensor-Cores for anything.
You either have to use CUDA or some propritäry extensions.

Was quad core Steamroller really too big for this gen console APU? Or probably too power hungry...damn AMD.
Yup. 4C ~3.2 GHz Steamroller would be perfectly acceptable as this gen CPU.
Instead we ended with these Cat cores...bah!
ST performance would have been better but total performance under multi threading would have been roughly the same.
Steamroller was a bit larger 29.47mm² (one module = 2 threads) vs. 26.2mm² Jaguar (4 cores = 4 threads).
AMD could have halfed the L2$ (they did it for Excavator) per module and come up with roughly ~ 24mm² but that's a bit of extra work and Steamroller was at least on Desktop already late and just came in 2014.
But the real issue would have been probably the power consumption with Steamroller running at 3.2 Ghz for similar performance.
And just to add on it, Sony/MS would have been able to clock Jaguar at 2.2 or even 2.4 Ghz (AMD did it for embedded products) but for perf/watt reasons they didn't and invested the power budget into the GPU portion.
Even PS4 Pro and Xbox One just clock Jaguar at 2.1 or 2.3 Ghz.
architektura_amd_steamroller_-_slajdy_z_isscc_2014_zdroj_pc_watch_02.jpg

This is one of the best public die shots I've ever seen.

And it's definitely the best die shot of Zen 2 world wide.

AMD didn't even publish a Zen 2 die shot.
For Zen1 AMD showed a relativly high resolution die shot but it still couldn't hold a candle against Fritzchens Fritz excellent die shots.

I wonder why hobbyist have to provide the world with high quality die shots and in many cases they are the only ones who provide die photos at all.

Zen 2 die overview. From Locuza

I might mention it in part 2 but if not the L3$ area is of course interesting in relation to the consoles since it's very likely that they will at least half the size from 16MB to 8MB.
That would reduce the CCX size of ~31.28mm² to ~24.23mm² if you cut it together as I did.
It would be a little bit smaller than a Jaguar CCX of 26.2 mm², kinda crazy how much horsepower you can get for the same area.
zen-2-consolev8kc8.jpg

Great video, informative AND entertaining. Really liking the format.
Thank you!
Although I don't think I will be able to include always so much cringy humour :P

Good staff, Locuza what's your teraflops/specs prediction for ps5 and nextbox ? ;)
Obviously 8TF. /s

Locuza Hört sich nach einem netten deutschen Akzent an ...
Gib es zu, ohne die deutschen Texte in den Screenshots wärst du nie darauf gekommen...

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I just skimmed over the last 40 pages (again), it's really not easy to keep up. ^^

I do wonder though if AMD will scale up to three Shader-Arrays or even more per SE?
IIRC I didn't mentioned it here but it was news to me that GCN1 already used two Shader Arrays per Shader Engine.
Tahiti for example looks like this:
EHA751YW4AAR2ur

EHA751XX4AAuq4j

Every GCN1 chip except Oland and Hainan (low-end chips) used two Shader Arrays per Shader Engine.
Just after that AMD used for every GPU just one SA per SE.
Navi is back to two SAs but of course on Navi they scale together with more logic.
The question is, what does AMD count as a Shader Engine on Navi?
If for example the Shader Processor Input (SPI) is per Shader Engine and feeding the Shader Arrays, like previously, than you might also not want to go beyond two Shader Arrays on Navi per SE.

Probably API reasons.

Up until recently with DirectML there was no common API and software abstraction to utilize Tensor-Cores for anything.
You either have to use CUDA or some propritäry extensions.

ST performance would have been better but total performance under multi threading would have been roughly the same.
Steamroller was a bit larger 29.47mm² (one module = 2 threads) vs. 26.2mm² Jaguar (4 cores = 4 threads).
AMD could have halfed the L2$ (they did it for Excavator) per module and come up with roughly ~ 24mm² but that's a bit of extra work and Steamroller was at least on Desktop already late and just came in 2014.
But the real issue would have been probably the power consumption with Steamroller running at 3.2 Ghz for similar performance.
And just to add on it, Sony/MS would have been able to clock Jaguar at 2.2 or even 2.4 Ghz (AMD did it for embeeded products) but for perf/watt reasons they didn't and invested the power budget into the GPU portion.
Even PS4 Pro and Xbox One just clock Jaguar at 2.1 or 2.3 Ghz.
architektura_amd_steamroller_-_slajdy_z_isscc_2014_zdroj_pc_watch_02.jpg

And it's definietly the best die shot of Zen 2 world wide.

AMD didn't even publish a Zen 2 die shot.
For Zen1 AMD showed a relativly high resolution die shot but it still couldn't hold a candle against Fritzchens Fritz excellent die shots.

I wonder why hobbyist have to provide the world with high quality die shots and in many cases they are the only ones who provide die photos at all.

I might mention it in part 2 but if not the L3$ area is of course interesting in relation to the consoles since it's very likely that they will at least half the size from 16MB to 8MB.
That would reduce the CCX size of ~31.28mm² to ~24.23mm² if you cut it together as I did.
It would be a little bit smaller than a Jaguar CCX of 26.2 mm², kinda crazy how much horsepower you can get for the same area.
zen-2-consolev8kc8.jpg

Thank you!
Although I don't think I will always be able to include so much cringy humour :P

Obviously 8TF. /s

Gib es zu, ohne die deutschen Texte in den Screenshots wärst du nie darauf gekommen...
Welcome back :) And thanks for the Steamroller/Jag info!

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

not a bad looking mock up IMO

"[Update] Following the publication of our original article, we were contacted by one of the creators of the PS5 concept video. As it turns out, the concept video wasn't released by MediaMarkt Saturn – the video was released by TURN ON, the content magazine for German retailer Saturn. We apologize for if this has caused confusion. We've updated the title of this article to reflect this."

lol

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Renders are always cooler than the actual product. It's like when you see amazing concept designs at car shows and then by the time they hit production the bean counters get a hold of the engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.