• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I feel like writing in general is in a decent enough place if we're talking AAA

Like, Infinite Warfare and the recent Modern Warfare entries are all solid enough in that regard
I love Infinite Warfare, and I couldn't tell you a single protagonist or villain name, character motivation, or even broad plot detail. I'm sure the script itself was not actively bad, but I'm not going to pretend script and story is why I play games like CoD, DOOM, etc.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I don't think I can imagine me playing a CoD campaign. I am not that desperate.
Guess I can always replay some 90s FPS games, these were the times.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Age must be catching up with me because Dragons Dogma 2 is just wearing me out and I remember not having as much of an issue with it's peculiar flavor of exploration in the first game. The lack of fast travel really is a bummer at length, for me personally. I find myself not wanting to fully engage in some quests simply because it means long trecks back and forth across the map. I feel like in the first game you had more portcrystals and the distances were shorter and you weren't going back and forth across the same routes nearly as much - but maybe thats just because the map was a lot smaller? Maybe it's because you weren't fighting goblins every 45 seconds along the way on these lengthy journeys?

I still have fun with the core gameplay. Each vocation I try I find something new to enjoy. For instance the mystic spearhand was pretty unique but was wearing me out with how much button mashing I had to do for this special spin attack (why not just make it a hold? C'mon Dragons Dogma..) So then I switched to warrior which is 100% a charge character. You need to line yourself up, stand still, and charge up a huge hit - and this was the perfect change of pace. I'm really enjoying it.

I get the idea of exploration and adventuring, but at some point it's no longer exploration when you've seen it all and then you just kinda want to get things done.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
are you digital only or on PC? I remember getting it cheap physical ($15 for the version w/ CoD4 remastered) Amazon still has the standard ver. for $20.

Funny enough I tend towards physical, but I never ended up seeing it going below $30 at retail. Digital CODs seem like they only discount the deluxe versions. Looks like on Ebay the physical copies tend towards 10/15 bucks so I may have to pick it upl

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I'm on episode 5 and I think I see now what they are doing because they were making a lot of the main characters extremely unlikeable for the first few episodes. Like this guy is meant to be important but.. he kinda really sucks in every way?

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
I watched the first episode with a friend who doesn't know the games and she didn't have a clue what was going on. I don't think they setup the interconnected vault thing, the Brotherhood of Steel thing or the Ghoul thing particularly well for those coming in fresh.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
To be fair I played Fallout 1 + 2 back in the day tons of times and then played Fallout 3, a bit of New Vegas and a bit of Fallout 4 and the "interconnected vaults" idea is completely new to me too.

The Brotherhood of Steel seems to have gotten enough of an intro, they say they protect old tech. Ghouls are not explained at all and I'm now on Episode 7 and they still haven't really gone into it. Apart from that I think you can just kinda go with it, the origin of ghouls isn't really necessary to understand the minute to minute action and that goes for a lot of the lore. It is impressive how true to the games they are in terms of props - kudos to them for that.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't played a fallout game since 3 but I know a fair bit through osmosis.

From a focus group of 1 non gamer, some question asked were.

Wait, where is the other vault, I thought they couldn't go outside?
What is that thing on her wrist?
Who is the cartoon guy on the posters?
What is with the transformers, are they like an army?
What is an enclave?

I thought it was okay but i don't see them coming back for episode 2.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

So they want a show without mysteries at all? All these things are explained in due course over season 1, except for The Enclave, which you 100% do not need to know what it is during S1.

The nature of the interconnectedness of the 31/32/33 vaults is literally the central plot of the Vault arc for season 1.

If anything, I though they did a great job of actually answering the questions they raise over the season. Sure, it does mean that you actually have to watch the show to get answers I guess...?!

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

What is an enclave?

Weird questions but I guess that's the nature of TV watchers today? Zero patience or attention span.

I also really, really dislike the binge release. Isn't it a bad thing if the discussion wears off faster than over 8 weeks? Or is it actually more beneficial since more people are willing to watch more episodes that way?

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Yah I mean those questions get answered throughout the show. If your friend just isn't feeling the vibe then thats fine I guess but not watching more than 1 episode because you have un-answered questions seems a little bizarre.

Also I love the binge format. I like being able to watch as much as I please at my own pace instead of waiting an entire week before episodes. I just finished watching the whole thing and some of those episodes feel like they are specifically made for you to be able to just watch the next one right after. Watching it weekly would have been torture for me personally.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
If you have friends/family that want to ask questions like that while watching (and I've been there!), for all that is holy do not watch Shogun with them. That would be hell.

Anyway, one minor thing with the Fallout show that did stand out to me, was that in Episode 3 there is mention of a pretty serious situation (The Vault 33 water chip is destroyed) that is clearly a reference to the main quest of Fallout 1. Unless I missed it, no further mention is made of this during the season?

So it's either just a throw-away reference for the fans, which is just... bad and not congruent with the quality of the show, or it's setup for S2. In which case I do think it's a bit undercooked, it's just not believable that it wouldn't be higher on the agenda given how serious the issue is.

Suuuper-minor nitpick though.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
If you have friends/family that want to ask questions like that while watching (and I've been there!), for all that is holy do not watch Shogun with them. That would be hell.

Anyway, one minor thing with the Fallout show that did stand out to me, was that in Episode 3 there is mention of a pretty serious situation (The Vault 33 water chip is destroyed) that is clearly a reference to the main quest of Fallout 1. Unless I missed it, no further mention is made of this during the season?

So it's either just a throw-away reference for the fans, which is just... bad and not congruent with the quality of the show, or it's setup for S2. In which case I do think it's a bit undercooked, it's just not believable that it wouldn't be higher on the agenda given how serious the issue is.

Suuuper-minor nitpick though.
I think it's meant as a fun easter egg. I imagine it gets resolved when they decide to merge the Vaults and some throwaway line of dialog can be added how "oh we just used a spare water chip from Vault 32 after we cleaned it up"

As a big fan of the originals it did get a chuckle out of me.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017

What is an enclave?

An adaptation where they spell out literally all of that stuff in the first episode would be garbage.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
All tbese criticisms seem fair. I put the confusion down to the show not offering enough context but it could well just be down to impatience. Personally I prefer when a show doesn't over explain iitself from the start.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
All tbese criticisms seem fair. I put the confusion down to the show not offering enough context but it could well just be down to impatience.

Not to get too serious about it, and giving some benefit of the doubt to your friend, perhaps you aren't actually aligned on what 'confusion' means here.

There do be a shitload of caveats to polling.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yah I mean those questions get answered throughout the show. If your friend just isn't feeling the vibe then thats fine I guess but not watching more than 1 episode because you have un-answered questions seems a little bizarre.

Also I love the binge format. I like being able to watch as much as I please at my own pace instead of waiting an entire week before episodes. I just finished watching the whole thing and some of those episodes feel like they are specifically made for you to be able to just watch the next one right after. Watching it weekly would have been torture for me personally.
There is no room to let episodes, or the show in general, breathe. No way to let eventual heavy impacts actually meaning and get people excited for the next episode - now it's just one big thing and people seem to overlook a lot of stuff too, since they live-blog episodes even.
Also the ending is on social media as soon as the thing drops, which is also pretty lame.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
There is no room to let episodes, or the show in general, breathe. No way to let eventual heavy impacts actually meaning and get people excited for the next episode - now it's just one big thing and people seem to overlook a lot of stuff too, since they live-blog episodes even.
Also the ending is on social media as soon as the thing drops, which is also pretty lame.
I don't think so. I personally tend to forget small details week to week but when I can watch 3 episodes in a row then I'm able to follow along a lot more closely.

It's just personal preference at this point, I don't think one model is superior to the other. If you want to let the show breath then you can simply choose to watch one episode per week and stay out of the discourse until you're ready.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I don't think so. I personally tend to forget small details week to week but when I can watch 3 episodes in a row then I'm able to follow along a lot more closely.

It's just personal preference at this point, I don't think one model is superior to the other. If you want to let the show breath then you can simply choose to watch one episode per week and stay out of the discourse until you're ready.
It's kinda hard not to get spoiled nowadays sadly.
And yeah, one is not better than the other, it works both ways. I just don't get the format anymore, make 3 movies - it would be the same.
Also you can't deny the "holy shit" moments from the great shows 10 years or so back, and we kinda talked about it for a week. Not that Fallout is that kinda show, but I miss these discussions.

ShadBy

Oct 8, 2023
They should air week to week and people who want to binge (like myself at least occasionally) can wait the whatever not that many weeks in the long scheme of things to watch every ep. when a season is done.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Watched one of those WIRED "most googled questions" clips with the Fallout cast and it's pretty cool that Ella Purnell actually played some of the games, it's unfortunate it was Fallout 4 but hey.. still props for making the effort.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
They should air week to week and people who want to binge (like myself at least occasionally) can wait the whatever not that many weeks in the long scheme of things to watch every ep. when a season is done.

When they do it week to week people give them shit and say they want them all at once. When they drop them all at once, other people give them shit because the internet be spoiling. Can't win. I usually come to shows well after the hype has died down so have become pretty good at dodging major spoilers.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
FMVinny is a winner every time. and now they have like 20 more games to play

store.steampowered.com

Knowledge, or know Lady on Steam

You, the "sole male student" at a women's university, are about to embark on a sweet and laughter-filled campus love journey from a first-person perspective! How will you resist the temptations of the beauties and create your own legend in this girls' school?

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
Not cool Russell Crowe, that name is taken.

sleeping-dogs-2024-film-poster.jpg

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
I think I can now see why Brad rarely finishes any games.

So I went back to the podcasts from 2 years ago (thank heavens for time stamps) because, not having a PS5, I only just got around to playing Forbidden West. After being initially put off by the long tutorial and starter area both Vinny and Brad are in to it. Brad is especially excited to find out how the main story plays out.

Over the next two months Vinny plugs away at it and gives his progress reports from week to week - while Brad talks about clearing out every single fetch quest, gear upgrade and collectable in every region and wondering if he should actually start one of the main story missions. All the time Vinny is excited to discuss the spoilers with Brad when he eventually gets there (ha!). Vinny eventually sees credits and they don't really mention the game again.

Fast forward about 6 months to GOTY. Vinny is quite positive on the game but Brad can't really say one way or the other because he put it down and really wants to get back to it over the break. Still super excited about that story stuff and Vinny (and the listener) again don't get any spoiler discussion.

It is now April 2021, a year on from release and Vinny picks up the Burning Shores DLC. Can't really talk about the setup because he doesn't want to spoil the ending of the main game. Brad confesses he put 50 hours in to Forbidden West. Where did you get up to? Oh about 1 story mission past where he was last time, maybe a third of the way though the game. I bet he has some sweet gear to not play the game with though :D

3569547-vlcsnap-error674.png

Last edited:

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018

So I went back to the podcasts from 2 years ago (thank heavens for time stamps) because, not having a PS5, I only just got around to playing Forbidden West. After being initially put off by the long tutorial and starter area both Vinny and Brad are in to it. Brad is especially excited to find out how the main story plays out.

Over the next two months Vinny plugs away at it and gives his progress reports from week to week - while Brad talks about clearing out every single fetch quest, gear upgrade and collectable in every region and wondering if he should actually start one of the main story missions. All the time Vinny is excited to discuss the spoilers with Brad when he eventually gets there (ha!). Vinny eventually sees credits and they don't really mention the game again.

Fast forward about 6 months to GOTY. Vinny is quite positive on the game but Brad can't really say one way or the other because he put it down and really wants to get back to it over the break. Still super excited about that story stuff and Vinny (and the listener) again don't get any spoiler discussion.

It is now April 2021, a year on from release and Vinny picks up the Burning Shores DLC. Can't really talk about the setup because he doesn't want to spoil the ending of the main game. Brad confesses he put 50 hours in to Forbidden West. Where did you get up to? Oh about 1 story mission past where he was last time, maybe a third of the way though the game. I bet he has some sweet gear to not play the game with though :D

Brad is me in just about every open world game I vibe even a little bit with.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
i know rebirth is three times the length of remake if you do everything, but i believe in brad's promise to beat the game even if it takes him all year because of his completionist tendencies! he's gonna get tired of the open world stuff eventually, but he's gonna have enough interest in seeing where the story goes.

vinny's gonna keep at it like he always does even with the biggest games, and i'm sure by the time he's done, he's gonna push brad over the edge to mainline the main quest if only to talk about the ending. would love to hear both of their thoughts on it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I stopped doing open world stuff when I got to the third area and mainlined the story and then went back and cleaned up afterward.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
If he has finally given up on tbe game I think he should at least read up and google the cut scenes. I think he would really get a kick out of the Quen and tneir belief system.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
You can replace Horizon with pretty much any other game Vinny and Brad played, and it would be the same story.
It's just how they are, although it does seem Brad is a little unaware how often he talks about needing to finish something and then not doing so.

I feel like I'm hoping against hope they both somehow someway finish Rebirth and talk about it.

ShadBy

Oct 8, 2023

I have OCD and this is exactly how open world check list games go for me too smh

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
I'm 95hrs into Rebirth and no end in sight. This is basically all I've been playing for almost 2 months. I'm reminded I eventually kinda get a bit crazy and delirious playing super long games. I'm still enjoying it but also a part of me def wants it to end. This will be one of the longest single playthroughs I will have done when I'm finished.

I will be impressed if Brad finishes it this year.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first season of Fallout. Still can't believe how much they nailed that adaptation, what an awesome job.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
They will both finish Rebirth, I think they will be disappointed though - for different reasons.

For clarification I wasn't getting at Brad for not finishing Horizon, just that it explains how he burns out on longer games. I am a little sad we never got a spoiler discussion though.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
It's just how they are, although it does seem Brad is a little unaware how often he talks about needing to finish something and then not doing so.

I feel like I'm hoping against hope they both somehow someway finish Rebirth and talk about it.

That's super common. You get some dopamine just from saying you're going to do something and then you don't have to do it.

Like when I start cleaning the bathroom and my partner tells me she was going to do it lol.