• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
brad will get back to forbidden west when the third horizon game comes out
I'll be interested to see how many people come back for a third Horizon game. I fell off Forbidden West hard, like in a way I haven't fallen off of a game in years, and I've pretty much lost interest in the franchise. I'm mostly interested in finding out which open-world game is going to come out and completely overshadow it within two weeks of its release like all the others.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Side content can be tricky. In the past I'd play very loose doing some and skipping others but then I watched some Twitch streams where players took their time and explored thoroughly and it felt like I was missing out on a ton of content - especially in games like Elden Ring.

On the flip side too much side content can burn me out on a game and then I rush through just to "get it over with" which isn't enjoyable either. It can be a tough balancing act.

Then again we've all gone over this a million times already going back all the way to the GB forums, but I do find it a less sympathetic when you don't have an 8 hour day job to contend with and you're still having a hard time getting around to finishing games.

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
I accept I won't 100% but I still try to do as much as I can cuz there is no way I'm replaying any big games again.

Regarding Brad, it just gets annoying cuz he'll bring it up every week and come up w/ new excuses. Like just drop it and move on. He talks about spending all weekend doing some trivial shit regularly on the ramblecast. It's fine his hearts not really in this stuff as much as it used to be but it does clash with the fact that they started NXL and a ton of ppl support. Obviously, ppl support for different reasons but they still try to cover new releases of their own volition.

All that said, regular pod's been much better this year and Brad's def been making a real effort to improve on this front. Last couple weeks he hasn't been home so I understand.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
My own open world psychosis involves uncovering as much of the map, as soon as possible. Run past all those high level enemies and climb every tower (or equivalent) that it lets you before even thinking about doing an optional quest or mission. Fog is the true enemy.

If the game makes you run everywhere and is slow I will occasionally use cheat engine to increase game speed 3x or so and then run zig zags coast to coast like I am The Flash and rubbing a map sized scratch card.

Last edited:

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
To be clear I don't really care if Brad finishes games or not - it's absolutely fine if he doesn't - I just don't want to it to impact the discussion on the pod.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I feel like I am the only one not excited for Hades 2.
I liked the first game, but not as much as many others. I would rather have something unique and fresh again from Supergiant again, but I understand it - it will make a lot of money.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I feel like I am the only one not excited for Hades 2.
I liked the first game, but not as much as many others. I would rather have something unique and fresh again from Supergiant again, but I understand it - it will make a lot of money.
Yeah, the first one never really clicked for me. It was an okay rougelike but nothing special.
I think it appealed to people not generally a fan of the genre because of the heavy story focus.
Hades 2 just looks like more of the same, both visually and gameplay wise. Something that was made purely because it made financial sense.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I loved first game except for the really bad final world, but am also not super excited for 2. I mean I'm looking forward to it but I'm going to wait for the full game out and not even stressing having to wait.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Something that was made purely because it made financial sense.

I think finding a confluence of "the team actually wants to work on this" and "this will actually help us keep the doors open and make money" is pretty rare. Iirc I don't think supergiant has had to make any layoffs in the past few years right?

I understand completely why they would take on a sure thing right now (or more realistically probably like two+ years ago)

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I wasnt too interested in more Hades, especially if it was going to be more of the same with some enhancements or quality of life improvements. But watching the stream did get me excited and I remembered how much fun I had playing the first one, so I think I'll get around to it, maybe wait for final release.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I'll be interested to see how many people come back for a third Horizon game. I fell off Forbidden West hard, like in a way I haven't fallen off of a game in years, and I've pretty much lost interest in the franchise. I'm mostly interested in finding out which open-world game is going to come out and completely overshadow it within two weeks of its release like all the others.

i enjoyed forbidden west and even got the platinum for it, but i actually feel kinda the same way about it the way i've been feeling about the big sony exclusive sequels. i think it's mechanically and presentationally better on all fronts compared to the first game, but the story doesn't quite come together, which is enough to make for a less emotionally resonant overall experience.

same thing goes for:

the last of us part 1 > the last of us part 2
god of war 2018 > god of war ragnarok
spider-man 2018 > spider-man 2
ff7 remake > ff7 rebirth

i've had a much better time playing all these sequels and mastering their mechanics, but they all fumble their stories and leave me feeling a bit deflated by the end.

at least with ff7 remake to rebirth, i do actually think rebirth's gameplay is vastly superior to remake, especially now that i've gone back to remake after getting rebirth's platinum. paired with the depth and breadth of what you can do in rebirth, i look at it with way more fondness than i do those other sequels. funnily enough, i'm much more invested in the ff7 remake trilogy's narrative that i also feel more strongly about not liking where it ultimately lands compared to the wet fart final acts of ragnarok, forbidden west, and spider-man 2.

tlou 2 is the one i'm most mixed on. haven't touched it since getting the plat back when it came out, so maybe my feelings on the direction of its story might change on a replay. think i'll go pick up that remaster when it goes on sale...

speaking of sequels living up to the hype built by their first games, i'm a bit torn on whether i want to check on hades 2 right now. i've never been one to follow early access stuff and previews, as i'd rather just wait for the full 1.0 release. i had a helluva time with hades 1, but i dunno if i want just more of the same but better for supergiant's next game, so checking out that latest stream might help set my expectations.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
audioboom.com

Ah, Yes, He Is Internet Boy?

Let's talk about such games this week as Harold Halibut, Life Eater (eater of life!), and Laysara: Summit Kingdom, plus news and sundries like the games of the Triple-I initiative, what "PS5 Pro Enhanced" is going to mean, $90,000 copies of Castlevania, awkward dining experien...

(00:01:40) Dog allergies and feathers?
(00:12:10) Harold Halibut [PC (Microsoft Windows), PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S] on Apr 16, 2024
(00:29:03) Life Eater [PC (Microsoft Windows)] on April 16th, 2024
(00:41:01) Laysara: Summit Kingdom [PC (Microsoft Windows)] on Apr 10, 2024 [Early Access]
(00:56:34) Final Fantasy VII Rebirth [PlayStation 5] on Feb 29, 2024
(01:00:19) Dyson Sphere Program [PC (Microsoft Windows)] on Jan 21, 2021 [Early Access]
(01:09:49) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy [Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Microsoft Windows), PlayStation 4] on Apr 09, 2019
(01:18:28) Sony's PS5 Pro Enhanced Games?
(01:34:07) Sony PC games getting Trophies
(01:40:45) The Big Triple-I Initiative Showcase
(01:58:57) Final Fantasy 7 Part 3 in possibly 3 years?
(02:03:55) Fallout 4 upgrade coming soon!
(02:14:37) Emails
(02:23:28) Coming up on Nextlander
(02:25:14) Wrapping up and thanks
(02:25:57) Mysterious Benefactor Shoutouts
(02:28:15) No streams next week, but get yer podcasts here!

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I dont care about 100%-ing games so i dont care if an open world game still has lots of icons for me to clear. I play the parts of the game that interest me and ignore the parts that dont. I guess that's the main reason why im not burnt out on open world games.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
And, like I quickly mentioned above, we'll be on break next week so there won't be any streams. We'll have a Watchcast, Podcast (Never Been a Better Podcast in the main feed), and Ramblecast though! Maybe I'll finish FF7: Rebirth that week?! Or… maybe I'll sink more time into Dyson Sphere Program!

Still no garage move Vinny?

I dont care about 100%-ing games so i dont care if an open world game still has lots of icons for me to clear. I play the parts of the game that interest me and ignore the parts that dont. I guess that's the main reason why im not burnt out on open world games.

Look at you bragging about being a normal functional human. You are just a regular guy, you and Dan Ryckert.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
small businessman pod where vinny takes us through the bureacracy needed to set up a small business

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the first level of El Paso, Elsewhere and holy shit I totally get why Alex was so into this.

It is giving me huge Max Payne vibes.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I need to figure out an ergonomic solution for hades, it absolutely fucked my hands up on switch, but i was using the joycons at that time. will see what options exist i guess.

i think i need to make a hand/ergonomics topic

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I need to figure out an ergonomic solution for hades, it absolutely fucked my hands up on switch, but i was using the joycons at that time. will see what options exist i guess.

i think i need to make a hand/ergonomics topic
Hori Splitpad Pro is amazing for handheld. Only thing you miss out on is rumble and motion.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to think what Brad must be viewing in his timeline to be inundated with FF7 shipping arguments. Also he didn't pick a side which means he's a coward.

I really hope they seriously consider that Japan trip they mentioned on the podcast. Not sure if the economics would justify it, but it would be nice.

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
Hades 2 is definitely my most anticipated game. I would of been totally stoked either way if Supergiant made a new IP or a sequel to Hades, they are probably the best studio out there to my taste. They haven't made a single game I don't like and some of their games are all timers for me.

Jen Zee and Darren Korb are such a powerful combo for the artistry/aesthetic/vibe side of things that their influences alone make a SG game a must play for me.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
i guess i have to remind people that brad was the resident anime expert back in the giant bomb days... so i'm not surprised to hear that he still finds himself within the periphery of ff7 shippers on social media!

also, the ship names are clerith and cloti, and yes, i know i've spent too much time online.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
i have ergonomic joycons now after dream completely fucked my hands. still sucks tho
I have long been on the hunt for good Joycon alternatives and these are by far the best I've gotten hold of:
www.mobapad.com

MOBAPAD M6 HD Joy-Cons for Nintendo Switch: Pro Precision! 🎮✨

MOBAPAD M6 HD: Elevate your Nintendo Switch experience with Omron microswitches, ALPS linear motors, HD vibration. Enjoy independent use, Amiibo support, customizable faceplates, and a solid grip for extended gaming. Immerse yourself in precision, motion sensing, and low power design for an...

Great ergonomics, full functionality, and the build quality seems rock solid. When I ordered mine a few months back they shipped from China which always feels a little precarious, but I have zero complaints about the product itself.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Wait I just realised did they not talk about possibility space getting shut down at all in the news? Quite surprising since it was a huge story in gaming media for a few days .

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Honestly the the first time I ever even heard of Possibility Space was when the news came about of them shutting down and that was also the first time I learned that Austin was even working for them.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I purchased that Life Eater game that Alex was talking about, sounds like a weird ass thing I would be interested in.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
As someone alergic to feather duvets. I am surprised Vinny had not heard of it. I discovered it after staying at a hotel and waking up with streaming eyes and breathing difficulty. Luckily the cotton hollow fibre alternatives are pretty good.

I purchased that Life Eater game that Alex was talking about, sounds like a weird ass thing I would be interested in.

Premise reminded me of Cabin at tbe end of the world (made in to recent film Knock at the cabin).. I was intrigued despite not liking that book.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Snyerbros this is not our year

On the flip side, Civil War...now that is a phenomenal time at the cinema. Second best film so far this year behind Dunc 2

The OT here for Civil War is just as unbearable as I thought it would be

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Snyerbros this is not our year

On the flip side, Civil War...now that is a phenomenal time at the cinema. Second best film so far this year behind Dunc 2

The OT here for Civil War is just as unbearable as I thought it would be
I found Dune 2 to be as underwhelming as the first film and I'm surprised people are resonating with it so much. I am burdened with knowing the books though and that can ruin an adaptation. Not an easy book to adapt though and at least people get to experience the glory of Dune.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I found Dune 2 to be as underwhelming as the first film and I'm surprised people are resonating with it so much. I am burdened with knowing the books though and that can ruin an adaptation. Not an easy book to adapt though and at least people get to experience the glory of Dune.
See I own the book but haven't read it lol

I'm just spellbound by the incredible production values and performances of both films

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
1password, love it. Used to use LastPass and it worked very well, but they had a security breach every week so I got out.

I couldn't function without a password manager at this point, I totally rely on it.
+1 on the 1Password love. Left LastPass because of their breaches. 1Password even gave me a discount to their annual sub for moving over to them.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
I ended up buying that Life Eater game and it is pretty bare bones at the moment. Should really be labelled as early access. The tutorial was inadequate so I had to go to the steam forum to learn some of the basics and the dev was saying how they were planning to add tool tips, controller support, etc - stuff that should have been in 1.0 IMO.

I guess now I have it I will just have to wait a while.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
After the pod I gave Harold Halibut a whirl and it's pretty cool. Mind you this is pretty much an interactive story - a walking sim if you will - you're basically walking around and talking to folks. All the puzzles I encountered thus far have been extremely simplistic to the point where it's hard to call them puzzles. It's more like they are there to break up the pacing from just talking so you have something else to do.

The setting is pretty interesting and the presentation is real neat. I haven't checked How Long to Beat but hopefully it doesn't outstay it's welcome. I'm curious to see where it goes.

EDIT: Ok I just checked and holy smokes 10h ? That might be pushing it unless the game evolves in a way that I very much doubt is in the cards..