• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
The Lions and 49ers have very, very different cultures

But when San Francisco arrived for Super Bowl Opening Night at Marlins Park, it became obvious Detroit is trying to make the same jump in a totally different way.

The 49ers have a bunch of former Lions, from a key starter like Laken Tomlinson, to backups like Anthony Zettel and Levine Toiolo, to practice squad players like Teez Tabor and Alex Barrett. Detroit's old defensive line coach, Kris Kocurek, is even on staff. And former Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has been one of the key decision makers who assembled a roster that went from 4-12 last season to 13-13 this season.

For Zettel, the difference between San Francisco's culture and the one in Detroit was immediate the day he walked in the door.

"Day 1 since I've been here, from the janitors to the front office to the players and coaches and everybody, everybody is just positive, encouraging, smiling," Zettel said. "When you come to work and everybody is smiling, it makes production go way up."

To be fair, the day Zettel walked in the door was barely more than a month ago. He was signed on Dec. 23 and played in one regular-season game. He did play well enough as Bosa's primary backup to stick throughout the playoffs, though, and assisted in a sack against Minnesota in the divisional round.

Zettel spent two seasons playing for Jim Caldwell in Detroit before getting cut coming out of Matt Patricia's first training camp in 2018. But that training camp was brutal by all accounts. The practices were long and tough, and Patricia could be abrasive, which led to problems that festered all year.

Still, Zettel says there are very few similarities between the culture that has pushed San Francisco from last to first, and the Patriots-like culture that Detroit is trying to ride under Patricia.[./quote]

The Patriots Way has been wildly successful in New England. It's also no secret the Patriots Way can be hard on players. It's tough and demanding and cut throat. But the results are undeniable. It's also what Matt Patricia and Bob Quinn know, it's what they believe in, and it's what they think will help Detroit finally break from the mediocrity it has stewed in for decades.

It's also one reason star cornerback Richard Sherman chose San Francisco over Detroit in free agency in 2018, even though the Lions were offering him more guaranteed money than the 49ers' incentive-laden deal.

"That's not the kind of football I want to play," Sherman said, according to The Athletic. "The way you run their scheme, your culture. You want to do it the Patriots Way, and that's really not the way I do football.

"I have fun. I like music at practice. I like to hang out and be relaxed in meetings. I don't like the stressful environment in football. (The Lions) condition every day after practice. My body isn't built to run all day and night. I'll be prepared, but I don't have to be run into the ground."

Former Lions first-round pick Laken Tomlinson spent two seasons playing for Jim Caldwell in Detroit, and never touched the field for Patricia. But he did play under abrasive former Lions offensive line coach Ron Prince before getting traded to San Francisco in 2017. He's been there for every game of the Shanahan era, from 6-10 to 4-12 to 13-3, and he credited the culture for propelling San Francisco's run to Miami.

"Iron sharpens iron," he said. "We got great people working together, especially in training camp. Man, we had some battles in training camp. Guys were growing together, fighting together, and we have a team like that? A band of brothers that love each other? That come to work every day and grind? Man, you can get something truly special."

Cornerback Teez Tabor has become the biggest bust of the Quinn era, going from a second-round pick in 2017 to not making it out of training camp in 2019. He spent some time out of football before landing with San Francisco's practice squad. He has not played in a game for the 49ers, but says the difference between the organizations is stark.

"Fun team," Tabor said. "Fun organization. Great ownership. Great coaching. Great support staff. It's a great situation."

Was it like that in Detroit?

"I'm here now," he said. "Great team. Just great people. Fun to be around. A lot of talent on this roster, top to bottom. Great fans -- they come to home games and they come to away games. Great coaches. Great atmosphere for football. Great pass rush. Great quarterback play. Great defensive scheme. Great people."

Sounds like you're happier now?

"Fun people to be around," Tabor said. "That's all I can say.

I hope I'm wrong but this time next year I anticipate we'll have a new coach, new owner and possibly new Quarterback. Matt Patricia has been a disaster in so many ways. Bob Quinn had the nerve to blame injuries this season, could players possibly be getting hurt at a higher rate because you're running them into the ground? Those Richard Sherman quotes are telling. I can see how Patricia rubbed players the wrong way right from the jump. Came into the building like he was Bill Bellichick demanding perfection and excellence. I don't see how Matt Patricia, a guy who hasn't worked out in years (which in of itself does not matter unless you coach like he coaches), making grown us men run gassers after practice for every time they dropped a ball or missed a block. F.O.H. And if you don't like it? "You don't fit our culture so we're going to trade or cut you ala Quandre Diggs. I hope I'm wrong, maybe if I go in with low expectations they'll surprise me for once.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
It's refreshing to see AB has learned from his mistakes

"I'm planning to come back to the NFL," Brown told USA Today on Tuesday. "I think I've got a shot."

"I put myself in a bad predicament," Brown said. "I'm out of it now, man. Unfortunate situation, but we don't make excuses and we're going to make the best of it.

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
Ok I'm done. Donating all my shit tonight. I cannot support this fucking clown show any longer. #FreeDeshaun
*sagat laughs at Mech*
Ly0HJTi.gif

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Between Mahomes, Watson, and Lamar all getting big contracts within a year or two of one another it'll be crazy how high QB contracts get.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Some terrible news, Chris Doleman passed away, just a couple days after announcing he was 2 years cancer-free. Dude was a beast, had like 16 sacks in his 14th season.

RIP

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Between Mahomes, Watson, and Lamar all getting big contracts within a year or two of one another it'll be crazy how high QB contracts get.

How high, do you think? A quick Google search says Russell Wilson is the highest now, at $35 million per year (averaged). The top 5 are all at $30+.

So, the new round...will anyone hit $40? Will any of them take less to keep the team competitive?

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if any of the qb's take short deals to see if the new CBA drastically raises the cap.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
How high, do you think? A quick Google search says Russell Wilson is the highest now, at $35 million per year (averaged). The top 5 are all at $30+.

So, the new round...will anyone hit $40? Will any of them take less to keep the team competitive?

Can't imagine any hometown deals on their first major contract.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I think Mahomes hits 40 and any QB after him benefits from that, even if they're not as good.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Mahomes adores KC and consistently talks about playing his entire career there. He's going to break the record obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some wrinkle thrown in that still helps the team build around him.

only one who ever did this was brady and he has a supermodel wife and the TB12 center @ foxborough

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
They are considering changing how QB salaries impact the salary cap in the CBA, so that's another thing that's going to effect how these contracts are written. Teams are waiting until the new CBA to give huge deals to their QB.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Hall of Fame QB Gardner Minshew has a live interview coming up on ESPN after this commercial break if anyone wants to see it.

(His interviews are hilarious)

EDIT: ahahahahahahahaha

"I think I foumd my people in Jacksonville. It's just the right amount of white trash for me." - Gardner Minshew

Holy shit man lol

Last edited:

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Some terrible news, Chris Doleman passed away, just a couple days after announcing he was 2 years cancer-free. Dude was a beast, had like 16 sacks in his 14th season.

RIP

My favorite Vikings player as a kid. Class act, professional, and fierce. Goddamn he was a joy to watch. It was hard to miss those sleeved arms out there swimming around searching for a sack victim. RIP #56.

Last edited:

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ

So essentially the Browns FO is back to what it was before Dorsey came in right?

Wonder if Howie is interested in adding these guys to his FO since they've lost Berry and Douglas since the last draft.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

So essentially the Browns FO is back to what it was before Dorsey came in right?

Wonder if Howie is interested in adding these guys to his FO since they've lost Berry and Douglas since the last draft.

Holy shit, Elliot wolf was the front runner to take over for Ted Thompson for years.

He basically left in what seemed out of spite when they hired Gutey instead.

Crazy to see him unemployed after only a couple seasons.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It sucks that Scar retired, again, but I'm also glad that he did. He did a great job, but he was always just one step away from retiring. This finally forces the Pats to look at a offensive line coach for the long term, and not just year to year.