• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Dubas: "pls take my garbage"

Nah, dubas knows he's an integral part of the D-core.

Just look at how the Leafs went into a tailspin without Gardiner.

It's like cool, he was a -3 in game 7... those were the only goals against of the playoffs he was on for and 2 of them weren't his fault (dermott and andersen tag teaming a goof up and the empty net). That's one thing that people miss when writing their gardiner hate messages.

Rielly is super suspect defensively but has incredibly high offensive numbers which masks his defensive inability.

Leafs know they have some damn good D-men on the way, Dermott is still improving. Sandin is torching the AHL. Liljegren is the Marlies best defensive d-man. But we may still need Gardiner... he's incredibly good defensively... better than all the others on roster.

Oct 26, 2017

Lavy and all of his stooges are coming back next season.

Time to ask Poile to retire or sink attendance numbers back to pre-Lavy levels. These idiots have no idea what they are doing.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
DopeyFish , this is two Game 7s against Boston in a row where he's choked with two bad giveaways that killed the Leafs against Boston.

I like Gardiner but how can we ignore the way he performs in Game 7s...

Ugh I'm really just so conflicted. Because I legitimately think Gardiner is a good defenseman but the only thing I can think of is how he's fucked over the Leafs with with just 10 seconds combined across two Game 7s. For better or for worse I'm going to judge his entire tenure with the Leafs on those 10 seconds (last year, letting Debrusk smoke him for a goal, and this year with his disgusting giveway to Boston behind the net).

Last edited:

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
DopeyFish , this is two Game 7s against Boston in a row where he's choked with two bad giveaways that killed the Leafs against Boston.

2 of those goals were not his fault in any way. One giveaway was by Dermott, the other by Nylander and at that point the game was long over.

you want to blame that 1 goal on him? sure. But why are we holding him to a higher standard than our other defensemen? it logically makes no sense.

Muzzin outright made 2 mistakes that became goals, where's the blame for him?

nah, we just focus on gardiner because he had 3 GA in game 7... one (not two like you think) of them a bad turnover when he's covered by 3 bruins and had no outlet and matthews failed to read the play. it's like there's 3 bruins on him. where the fuck are the other players?

he was still only on the ice for 4 goals in 7 games. (sorry i said 3 earlier, it was 4)

at EV Rielly was on for 6, Muzzin for 10, Zaitsev for 7.

i don't see how anyone can blame gardiner for his play in that series when he had only 1 GA going into game 7.

6 games and he's bloody near perfect and people blame him because of game 7. Seems to me he was a huge reason the series went to 7 to begin with, considering the other D were allowing way more goals.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017

Ugh I'm really just so conflicted. Because I legitimately think Gardiner is a good defenseman but the only thing I can think of is how he's fucked over the Leafs with with just 10 seconds combined across two Game 7s. For better or for worse I'm going to judge his entire tenure with the Leafs on those 10 seconds (last year, letting Debrusk smoke him for a goal, and this year with his disgusting giveway to Boston behind the net).
You've given up 12 goals in the last 2 game 7's. I fail to see how 10 seconds of ice time is responsible for you losing.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Gardiner is an idiot who doesn't like to give much effort. It's too bad. He can skate well.

Babcock won't be able to rely on him next year and will have to adapt. Jake has cost this team too much with his idiocy and laziness.

That Babcock quote regarding Nylander is also laughable

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nylander is a guy who I think would excel under a different coach. His usage was abysmal this season, and Frederick Gauthier was given better wingers in the playoffs. Babcock just doesn't seem to like him.

Also, not a fan of the stuff Babcock was saying. Take some accountability. A lot of people were at fault for the series loss, and you're sure as hell one of them. Deflecting onto several of his own players is pretty lame.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
2 of those goals were not his fault in any way. One giveaway was by Dermott, the other by Nylander and at that point the game was long over.

you want to blame that 1 goal on him? sure. But why are we holding him to a higher standard than our other defensemen? it logically makes no sense.

Muzzin outright made 2 mistakes that became goals, where's the blame for him?

nah, we just focus on gardiner because he had 3 GA in game 7... one (not two like you think) of them a bad turnover when he's covered by 3 bruins and had no outlet and matthews failed to read the play. it's like there's 3 bruins on him. where the fuck are the other players?

he was still only on the ice for 4 goals in 7 games. (sorry i said 3 earlier, it was 4)

at EV Rielly was on for 6, Muzzin for 10, Zaitsev for 7.

i don't see how anyone can blame gardiner for his play in that series when he had only 1 GA going into game 7.

6 games and he's bloody near perfect and people blame him because of game 7. Seems to me he was a huge reason the series went to 7 to begin with, considering the other D were allowing way more goals.

I'll put it this way. I just saw Steve Dangle's post mortem and I agree Jake is a good defender. I would be okay with him retiring. But he probably won't without a pay cut. There was an implication that he's receiving abuse on his own Instagram, which I won't abide.

I'm just sick and tired of this team doing this in game 7s against Boston.

And one day I hope the team and coaching staff stop letting Gardiner down, and stop letting people like Tavares down, and stop letting our fan base down.

😥

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, not a fan of the stuff Babcock was saying. Take some accountability. A lot of people were at fault for the series loss, and you're sure as hell one of them. Deflecting onto several of his own players is pretty lame.

Honestly like there's the mix of failings throughout the org here but to hear it from Babs there's nothing wrong with him.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
8uUoWVf.gif

OP
OP
zroid

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm back!

Finally updated the OP with new Awards

Congratulations to the Tampa Bay Lightning for making history... in more ways than one 🏅

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins on having a few more weeks to golf than usual 🏅

Congratulations to the Calgary Flames on the surprisingly good goaltending 🏅

Cognratulations to the Winnipeg Jets on defying the odds 🏅

Congratulations to the Nashville Predators on yet another division champion banner you get to hang with pride! 🏅

Congratulations to the Toronto Maple Leafs on their successful re-enactment of the popular film "Groundhog Day" 🏅

Congratulations to the Vegas Golden Knights on finally learning what it feels like to be a real National Hockey League team 🏅

Congratulations to the Washington Capitals on the Game 7 return-to-form 🏅

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Out of the top 8 scoring teams from the regular season who made the playoff, only 2 survived the first round (Sharks, Avs).

From the top 8 goals against teams who made the playoffs, 5 remain (Islanders, Stars, Bos, Blues, Carolina).

What I'm saying is the Leafs need to acquire more forwards, clearly. Nobody could've predicted that you'd need defense .

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Marner is on the verge of tears in this post-game interview (after being eliminated):

https://youtu.be/7K3lIEKXR34

I really hope that somehow Gardiner can get squeezed in and stay on the team next year because I want him to succeed in Toronto. I'm going to step away from hockey as a hobby for a couple of months. I'll be back in September and I'll never stop cheering for Toronto.

I also saw a different video where Matthews owned up to the mistake on the second goal. He shared the blame instead of pinning the 2nd goal against in game 7 all on Gardiner.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Marner is on the verge of tears in this post-game interview (after being eliminated):

https://youtu.be/7K3lIEKXR34

I really hope that somehow Gardiner can get squeezed in and stay on the team next year because I want him to succeed in Toronto. I'm going to step away from hockey as a hobby for a couple of months. I'll be back in September and I'll never stop cheering for Toronto.

I also saw a different video where Matthews owned up to the mistake on the second goal. He shared the blame instead of pinning the 2nd goal against in game 7 all on Gardiner.
Marner for Kesler and Eaves.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
The internet is already dangerous enough as it is for someone like me who isn't seeing it until Wednesday, let's please keep it out of this thread all together...

That's long time, good luck with that one. I'd stay away from the internet completely.

Smiley see Endgame long time

I may not get to see it for weeks unless it's available on Stars and Strollers

Whatever it takes.

giphy.gif

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
The internet is already dangerous enough as it is for someone like me who isn't seeing it until Wednesday, let's please keep it out of this thread all together...

I think some asshole in the box office resetera thread spoiled the ending. Fuck's sake. I'm not going to "confront" the post until I see the movie (this Thursday) because I don't want to get a confirmation one way or the other right now. Really, I blame myself. Shouldn't have entered that thread. Totally, totally my fault.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
I just had a troll account on Instagram try to follow me, and the accounts name was a massive endgame spoiler

Godspeed friends who haven't seen it yet

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I decided to put up with the crowd at the theater yesterday instead of my original plan of going at noon of a weekday precisely because I knew the internet would be unusable if I waited.

I usually don't care about seeing spoilers, but it's nice to go in fresh every once in awhile.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
New Endgame trailers show major spoiling events from the later half of the film I guess they figure everyone has seen it by now

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
So, my 94 year old grandfather passed away last night. Amazing guy, raised a big family. Spent his life on a farm, but was also a well-traveled businessman in his later years that gave him a lot of interesting perspective. Anyway, the reason why I'm posting this here is: He's the reason why I watch hockey. My dad was never that into it, but Grandpa loved it. He played a lot too. My earliest memory of hockey is actually getting to stay up past my bedtime to watch the 1991 Stanley Cup finals with him. Being of Czech heritage, he was super excited to see this young Jagr kid doing so well for the Penguins.

He was also a Leafs fan and actually made it out to a few games throughout his life. Some of his most prized possessions included a Maple Leafs Program from a game against the Habs on October 29th, 1952 (the Leafs won 7-5) and a copy of Hockey Blueline from April 1958. He liked to break them out and tell me about the various players he remembered. Last year, he loaned them to me. I took the opportunity to scan them and then got them back to him.

If you're interested in such historical items, particularly if you're a Leafs fan, you can see the scans here:

Hockey Blueline - April 1958

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a5cwdk6nou3xjff/AAA0aX9PVIlGBTJ_d5oCuVLZa?dl=0

Maple Leafs Program - October 29th, 1952

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qczredcjxu661oc/AACY5tFc_5D_8cKsCXgJkZeQa?dl=0

The program isn't too interesting, but the Blueline actually has some fun articles in it, including a prediction of what the NHL could look like in 1978.