19 & 21

Oct 25, 2017
MIKE HAYNES IS GONE FAM START THE PARADE

edit: I guess the Hart trophy montage leaked a month ago

Last edited:

Clockblockers

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I read most of that thread and it was almost entirely people discussing/agreeing/joking about the idiots who are upset about the 'change'. Seems like a reasonable thread?

More in terms of posting hot takes/tweets from video game "journalists", and everyone yelling into an echo chamber known as the OT.

The controversy seems extremely overblown. I'll bet the game sells very well and proves that everyone got worked up over a couple of comments from a small group of nobody's, hence everyone will end up looking stupid getting worked up over this

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I know the NBA has no parity, but Lebron heading to the Finals for the 8th straight year is still quite the achievement.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reading up on the CBA. Per Wikipedia:

The current CBA is a 10-year deal, expiring after the 2021–22 season.

The NHL can choose to opt out of the CBA on September 1, 2019 (expiring in 2020). The NHLPA can choose to opt out of the CBA on September 19, 2019.

So we could be into our regularly scheduled lockout as soon as after next season? Oh man, a fresh new CBA in 2020 with 2 or more fresh new compliance buyouts? Yes please.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Reading up on the CBA. Per Wikipedia:

So we could be into our regularly scheduled lockout as soon as after next season? Oh man, a fresh new CBA in 2020 with 2 or more fresh new compliance buyouts? Yes please.

What are the chances of the NHL and NHLPA agreeing with each other and working together on a new CBA before considering disrupting a season?

(Not a serious question lol)

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Got a draft pick out of the other one, so not a bad idea to try it again

giphy.gif

*replace that with its free real prospects

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
A work stoppage just as the league is adding a new TV market, 23 new NHL jobs, and 50 new contract spots would be a very stupid thing to trigger for either the PA or the owners.

Oct 26, 2017
As Habs fans we should be the biggest supporters of them. They would allow us to unburden the shackles of the 2 albatross contracts we have. Free up almost $20M of cap space with Weber and Price bought out.

It would suit us just like it did last time with Gomez, but i'm still fundamentally against them. It encourages idiots like Bergevin to keep doing what they're doing instead of smart GM'ing

I don't want a get out of jail card, we 100% deserve what's happening to us and shit won't change if we get a freeby again

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Meh.....every other team cheats/bends the rules/circumvents the cap. Why wouldn't we use every tool possible too?

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In Habs ERA/sad clinging to the past ERA news, Sportnet is running a 25 year retrospective of the 1993 Cup winning Habs team tonight.

25 years without a fucking Cup. Ugh.

I must say though that the 1993 team and their Cup run has to be one of the most poorly remembered ones ever. There's been this myth that has only grown over the years that they only won the Cup because of Patrick Roy. That's horseshit. Roy had a bad season (great playoff though) and yet the team had over 100 points. They had 4 80 point players. They were a damn good team up and down the roster, the top guys lead the team in the playoffs, and the rookies stepped up.

Syrinx

Oct 25, 2017
What would a new CBA fight look like? I assume the PA would be the one opting out since the league tried to tie the Olympics to an extension of the current CBA?

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed that Nikita Zaitsev has a NTC that kicks in next summer. If he's not part of Dubas' plan, it would make sense to try and trade him now...

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
What would a new CBA fight look like? I assume the PA would be the one opting out since the league tried to tie the Olympics to an extension of the current CBA?

The negotiations will go like this:

The NHL will open up with an anchoring offer of the players getting 40% of hockey revenue, the players will balk and say they agreed to the 50/50 "fair share" split and that should continue, the NHL will lock the players out, they'll lose about half a season, the players will realize they have no leverage, they'll settle in mid December or early January at 45% +/- 1%, and fans will grumble about greedy players and keep spending money on hockey.

Everything outside of the revenue percentage is small stuff

45% of revenue is still a greater share of revenue than what baseball players are getting (without a salary cap!) but baseball owners actually 1) have tried to grow revenue and 2) Don't employ imbeciles to run their teams.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The negotiations will go like this:

The NHL will open up with an anchoring offer of the players getting 40% of hockey revenue, the players will balk and say they agreed to the 50/50 "fair share" split and that should continue, the NHL will lock the players out, they'll lose about half a season, the players will realize they have no leverage, they'll settle in mid December or early January at 45% +/- 1%, and fans will grumble about greedy players and keep spending money on hockey.

Everything outside of the revenue percentage is small stuff

45% of revenue is still a greater share of revenue than what baseball players are getting (without a salary cap!) but baseball owners actually 1) have tried to grow revenue and 2) Don't employ imbeciles to run their teams.

tl;dr: the same as every lockout in the NHL

And I agree.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Bunch of little stuff to war over for the next CBA, but it can't be as bad as the lockout CBA. The salary cap was a BIG issue.
I don't think there's going to be a lockout or holdout this time.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you buy out Weber and Price? They're still great players that won't be replaced any time soon, you lose them for nothing, and it's not like the team will be in cap trouble in the near future.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy out Weber because his age and recent injuries put him way on the wrong side of his contract and his value, and I'd buy out Price because no goalie is worth that much, and while he make not suck so bad next year, I think 2014-2015 supernova Price is gone for good. I think the injuries have taken their toll and he is more mentally fragile then we had originally thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.