texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anyway, according to Wccftech interview the game is 40 hours long, not including side activities such as side quests and kingdom mode.

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So how are the chances for a Switch release of this game?
Or is there some kind of Sony deal?

I have a very hard time finishing long singleplayer games on PC...

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's a Sony deal in place, and I feel it could likely come to the Switch at some point. Ni no Kuni was actually on both the DS and the PS3 - a similar situation to DQXI where there were two versions of the same game. So it's not out the realm of possibility of the game hitting the Switch given how immensely popular the Switch has become. This probably is a case of starting development specifically for the PS4, and given its long development cycle and how the Wii U went, Level-5 just never factored in a Nintendo device in its plans. They added in the PC port specifically to increase market share, likely at Bandai Namco's request given how popular their games have become on PC.

So I've read through and watched a lot of the previews now. Overall impressions are extremely positive, especially when it comes to combat and the visuals. The one sticking point I'm seeing is some concerns over whether the Skirmish mode is actually going to be enjoyable, how much it plays into the game in terms of gating of story, and how much depth to it there is. Guess we'll see how that plays out when the reviews hit.

Powwa

Oct 28, 2017
Screenshot from the first game:

Ni_no_Kuni_Overworld.png

The character models look so out of place in the first game especially when contrasted against the locales. The overworld versions of the locales are essentially "Chibi" versions while the characters are "normal" size.

The Chibi-ness actually adds to this existing aesthetic and fits right in.

I still disagree. I like this style from first game more compared to chibi style. Art style is the same and they are just smaller in size. Chibi designs are so out of place comparing how they look in combat.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm the only person that looks at this battle system and is bored. I hope it plays a lot better than it looks because it looks so bland to me. I loved the first Ni No Kuni (even though the AI was garbage) and I am really bummed familiars are gone.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm the only person that looks at this battle system and is bored. I hope it plays a lot better than it looks because it looks so bland to me. I loved the first Ni No Kuni (even though the AI was garbage) and I am really bummed familiars are gone.

Perhaps the Higgledies will tickle your Familar fantasies. There are 100 named Higgledies to collect and find in the world, each with their own abilities, that can change your strategies in battle in how they're used. Think of it as losing Pokemon in favor of Pikmin, really.

And honestly, as much as I love Ni no Kuni and the familiars, the capture rates on those things was god damn garbage. Kinda glad I don't have to waste time trying to get one Familiar to not only show up but actually get into a capture state.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im worried combat is going to chug as it seems it will get real busy

Assuming higgledees will be very OP and make the game too easy too, and they really seem to be a crux of the combat. So hopefully its not a terrible gimmick.

And I'm not sure I like the idea of 2 CPU teammates running around as it sounds like it will make the combat needlessly chaotic/automated.

Is there a way to make the 2 teammates play a "role" like defence or healing? And if so, would the game have smart enough A.I to not make it a burden? Its always questionable when games add AI buddies because the potential to make them dumb and frustrating is high

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's a Sony deal in place, and I feel it could likely come to the Switch at some point. Ni no Kuni was actually on both the DS and the PS3 - a similar situation to DQXI where there were two versions of the same game. So it's not out the realm of possibility of the game hitting the Switch given how immensely popular the Switch has become. This probably is a case of starting development specifically for the PS4, and given its long development cycle and how the Wii U went, Level-5 just never factored in a Nintendo device in its plans. They added in the PC port specifically to increase market share, likely at Bandai Namco's request given how popular their games have become on PC.
Possibly, but the PS3 version was a remake of the DS version. Rather than a two version jobby . But I take your point that they made the effort to create a whole new second version.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
I watched the Playstation Underground video and I'm so tempted to watch the others. The game looks amazing. Very in depth and vast.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Insta-items DID make Rogue Galaxy a breeze. Maybe there's a cooldown. I've only seen it used once.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm gonna miss the Pokemon Familiar fighting/evolutions :'( Looks fantastic otherwise.

Oct 27, 2017
Everything sounds/looks great to me! Higgledies even sound more engaging/entertaining than my earlier impression. I want to know more about the tactical battles though...

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's good to hear that the battle system has been improved (although it wouldn't have taken much honestly). The previous could have worked, but your teammates and monsters constantly blocking each other was really bad. But then once you had a dino or two, the combat became so trivial anyway that it didn't matter. In the end, the aesthetics, animation and world carried the game for me, with some barely serviceable combat.

Everything about the sequel looked like it was going to be better than the original when they first debuted the initial trailer.

No idea how HDR is going to work with a cel shaded game though, especially considering it's been so hit or miss (mostly miss) with traditional games so far.

Last edited:

demu

AVALANCHE
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Still don't like the chibi overworld, still not sure about the RTS minigame, but still pretty hyped for the game.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's overselling it a bit (okay, a lot), but you're entitled to your own opinion of course.
I enjoyed it far more than other ps2 level 5 stuff and think it's one of the better RPGs on the console. Obviously it falls short of DQVIII and the like but for me it was deffo one of the best PS2 games.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Started watching the Shacknews commentary... the party text while you're walking around is...
giphy.gif

They really need to fix that shit.

vjoez55

Oct 27, 2017
Just wondering if someone can answer this question. Is the Kingdom Building a lot of grinding for resources or the feature is optional and you don't have to go all out on it?

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play this. I've been waiting for it since the day it was announced. Everything looks excellent.

The only thing that concerns me is this thread is only 3 pages so far. Hope it sells well.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Can't wait to play this. I've been waiting for it since the day it was announced. Everything looks excellent.

The only thing that concerns me is this thread is only 3 pages so far. Hope it sells well.

Yeah the hype is rather low. Still wondering if I should pick up the king's edition. Does anyone know which theme song will the music box use?

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Super excited for this. I normally wait for a discount on new titles i'm interested in(with some exceptions, *cough* *cough* Kingdom Hearts 3 *cough* *cough*), but this one might be hard to resist.

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Looks great, i never played the first game but will buy this on pc, the battle system looks like it has some depth, i hope it is a decent challenge to fight enemies because i don't like jrpgs that are too easy and you just push the attack button to win.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds really good. I might be more hyped for this game than Dragon Quest XI, and that's saying a lot.