• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, disable the AA option. It is janky MSAA added in the PC version.

The AO option is actually the PS4 Pro switch (it enables the Pro-specific enhancements, including SSAO and decent SMAA). There's no reason to ever disable it (and no reason to ever enable the AA option).

You'll always get pop-in (it depends on the location, but the draw distances in Automata aren't particularly great), but it's supposed to be a dithered transition. That doesn't work if the garbo MSAA is enabled (unless they've changed it in this version).

Yeah, disabling it fixed the abrupt pop in. Thanks!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Neat. This doesn't have cross save, does it? Because I have a PS4 file and an XB1 file that I'd love to transfer.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the Steam version didn't get one single patch and now this.
Its a litttle absurd.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
They better update the steam version later lol.

But I guess what happened is SE probably didn't allocate any budget for PC / Steam after release support, which is shitty in and of itself, and here MS graciously offered some to fix the game before game pass release :p

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Square Enix is straight up the worst publisher working on PC. Pure incompetence and a habit of living half functioning products unless someone pays for fixes.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Smoother gameplay less frame timing spikes and micro-stutter on MS version compared to Steam version, going by video and it's comments

Uploader also mentions apparently Steam version got worse texture filtering so calls MS version sharper textures too

Eh, I didn't see much difference on this comparison. Which is to be expected- that's not the place to use for a comparison. The Steam version is fine in the opening as well. The issues really become apparent once you hit the city hub. That's where I would want to see a framerate and frametime comparsion.

As for texture filtering- anyone with a PC more powerful than a toaster should have AF 16x override set in their GPU control panel and never worry about it after that.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
via Special K discord:

NOT UWP!

"Kaldaien: NieR's not UWP. It's just Windows Store. It has some of the same restrictions, but the one about not being able to put SK's files in its directory are from AppX."

"Kaldaien: Frame pacing in the Windows Store version of NieR: Automata's MUCH improved. 0.025 ms variance when SK's limiter is on. FMV's are all over the place in the Steam version."

unknown.png

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
via Special K discord:

NOT UWP!

"Kaldaien: NieR's not UWP. It's just Windows Store. It has some of the same restrictions, but the one about not being able to put SK's files in its directory are from AppX."

"Kaldaien: Frame pacing in the Windows Store version of NieR: Automata's MUCH improved. 0.025 ms variance when SK's limiter is on. FMV's are all over the place in the Steam version."

unknown.png

So this means the Windows store version is better even with the mods installed to fix the steam version? Can you use special K on the Windows store version?

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Does Xbox Game Pass version of Nier: Automata also have HDR? I played the PS4 version and it didn't have it. I might download it to see how it looks, if it does.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Is anyone having a black screen issue with the Gamepass version after changing a graphical setting?

Myself as well as many others that reviewed the game seem to be having the same problem.

Oct 25, 2017
I played through the first hour last night on PC and it worked well for me - no issues and smooth frame pacing. No problems doing 4k/60. I'm not sure if I'm ready to replay this game but if I do, I'll play this version.

Also, I did get an achievement that I definitely got on the Xbox version previously.

Last edited:

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I played through the first hour last night on PC and it worked well for me - no issues and smooth frame pacing. No problems doing 4k/60. I'm not sure if I'm ready to replay this game but if I do, I'll play this version.

Also, I did get an achievement that I definitely got on the Xbox version previously.

What about the other missing mods such as textures replacements?

I keep asking what version to play cause I just started my first play through and want the best experience.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Anyone on PC not able to launch the game/ mine won't launch, saying some permission issue as per the crash dumps. At a loss how to fix it

Oct 25, 2017
What about the other missing mods such as textures replacements?

I keep asking what version to play cause I just started my first play through and want the best experience.
I do have the Steam version but I never bothered with any of the mods except what is included in FAR. I would play this version because I didn't buy the DLC on Steam and I think the frame pacing is better on this version than what I remember from the Steam version. The only thing I really feel like I'm missing out on is support for high frame rate, but I've also heard some parts of the game can break if you're running at over 60 fps.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
new Special K release for Nier Automata (MS Store/Gamepass) release:

Code:
========
 + Fixed typo in startup version banner
 + Compatible with NieR: Automata Something Something God Edition
 + Added minimal implementation of FAR for NieR: Automata (Windows Store)
  >> Framerate uncap only, intended so you can replace limiter with SK's
       (game still needs to run at 60 FPS for game logic)
 + Added option to hide HDR support from games so they do not enable HDR

( [Render.DXGI] HideHDRSupport={true|false} )

-> Use this on NieR: Automata, and then use SK's HDR features instead
-- https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/792979353117524009/822564212202536980/SpecialK.7z

via Special K discord

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Fyi gonna try the windows store version of nier with special k and report back what I find.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm the opening (especially the cutscenes) runs significantly better than the fully modded Steam version with FAR. Just really sucks you can't install the texture packs or up resed cutscenes. I guess I am going with the Windows store version. Running at 4K never dropped below 60 FPS.

Specs:

Intel 8700k
32 GB RAM
Nvidia RTX 3080
SSD.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, i didn't realize that the Special K version works with the Windows Store version. Gonna try that out when I get home.

Aemony

Nov 6, 2017
i wonder if you can turn off in-game HDR but enable the new Auto-HDR Windows implementation from the insider ring for better results? or if that's even possible on a game that theoretically has HDR built in.

You probably can while using Special K. Since the game doesn't have it's own in-game toggle, Kaldaien threw together a way to spoof a lack of HDR support in the game. This allows Special K users to then use Special K's retrofit HDR, which seems to result in a better HDR experience.

Uploader also mentions apparently Steam version got worse texture filtering so calls MS version sharper textures too

That probably had to do with AMD FidelityFX CAS available in the MS Store version -- that's a sharpening effect after all that sharpens textures and the like. If that feature was enabled during the comparison, the textures of the MS Store version would appear sharper in comparison to the Steam version.

Lol I guess he couldn't resist after all

Probably got interested enough in the game from seeing my various comments about it and examples of how the built-in HDR implementation felt lackluster.

Just really sucks you can't install the texture packs

You can -- Special K injected through the global injector stores its injected textures in the Documents folder -- within the profile folder of the game.

Just open Special K's control panel, hit File > Initialize texture mods, and then click on File > Browse Texture Assets > Injectable Textures to open the texture folder that modded textures should be put into.

As long as the textures haven't been changed, they should work fine in this version as well.

Here's GPUnity's NieR: Automata texture pack injected into the Microsoft Store version.

NieRAutomata_2021-03-20_16-36-12.png

For comparison:

5-1546869227-1999176390.jpeg

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
You probably can while using Special K. Since the game doesn't have it's own in-game toggle, Kaldaien threw together a way to spoof a lack of HDR support in the game. This allows Special K users to then use Special K's retrofit HDR, which seems to result in a better HDR experience.

That probably had to do with AMD FidelityFX CAS available in the MS Store version -- that's a sharpening effect after all that sharpens textures and the like. If that feature was enabled during the comparison, the textures of the MS Store version would appear sharper in comparison to the Steam version.

Probably got interested enough in the game from seeing my various comments about it and examples of how the built-in HDR implementation felt lackluster.

You can -- Special K injected through the global injector stores its injected textures in the Documents folder -- within the profile folder of the game.

Just open Special K's control panel, hit File > Initialize texture mods, and then click on File > Browse Texture Assets > Injectable Textures to open the texture folder that modded textures should be put into.

As long as the textures haven't been changed, they should work fine in this version as well.

Here's GPUnity's NieR: Automata texture pack injected into the Microsoft Store version.

NieRAutomata_2021-03-20_16-36-12.png

For comparison:

5-1546869227-1999176390.jpeg

2 questions:

1. When I try to copy the special k .Dll file over to the installation directory for Xbox app nier installation folder initially it said I didn't have permission. I took ownership of the folder and all sub folders and files. Now when I try to copy it over it says I am out of space but I have 25 GB available. I have verified my user account had full permissions to the folder. What are the installation instructions?

2. If I turn on AA and AO I get a black screen and have to force the app closed. Is this normal? If I have to choose between the two which should I choose?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
2 questions:

1. When I try to copy the special k .Dll file over to the installation directory for Xbox app nier installation folder initially it said I didn't have permission. I took ownership of the folder and all sub folders and files. Now when I try to copy it over it says I am out of space but I have 25 GB available. I have verified my user account had full permissions to the folder. What are the installation instructions?

2. If I turn on AA and AO I get a black screen and have to force the app closed. Is this normal? If I have to choose between the two which should I choose?
I expect the DLLs are supposed to replace the files of an existing installation of SpecialK in \Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\ and used via SKIF global injection.

Last edited: