• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I was ready to throw a tantrum when i misread '4k upscaled textures' but it's just for the UI, oh boy lol.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm talking about Yakuza 3-4-5, they have a terrible use of CPU + other issues:
cookieplmonster.github.io

SilentPatch for Yakuza 3 & Yakuza 4 Remastered

Reducing CPU usage, working around a crash.

After Silent tagged them multiple times they ended up doing a similar patch but only about the CPU usage, there are still other issues with those games:
cookieplmonster.github.io

Analyzing the official Yakuza 3, 4, 5 patches & SilentPatch update

Checking the official changes for fun, and adding support for Yakuza 5.

Urgh really? I've really been wanting to play and finish off Yakuza 6, but now I'm thinking to wait until the PC release in case it happens to support 60fps, I'd rather wait to play it at that.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Urgh really? I've really been wanting to play and finish off Yakuza 6, but now I'm thinking to wait until the PC release in case it happens to support 60fps, I'd rather wait to play it at that.

The ports are more than fine. Calling them "quite a mess" is overstating it a bit. Especially since the biggest issue, the CPUs being overworked, has been fixed.

Aemony

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think I like the HDR implementation very much to be honest -- it seems overall dark compared to regular SDR. The whole scene is noticeably darker in HDR, everywhere you go. Even the desert are or the Resistance Camp (two areas quiiite bright in SDR) is more on the dark than the bright side in HDR.

SDR:
NieR_Automata_PC_2021-03-18_17_11_50.png

HDR (tonemapped to SDR using Win10's game bar):
NieR_Automata_PC_2021-03-18_17_09_28.png

Even the menus and such are noticeably darker in HDR compared to SDR, and there's only a single brightness slider so you have none of those HDR calibration sliders that you have in other games. It's like they made the effects "pop" in HDR by lowering the overall scene brightness.

The in-game brightness slider increases the overall brightness as well, which means it really harms contrast the higher you go on it.

I hope that someone more versed in HDR takes a look and compares the modes between one another, as I don't think I'm experienced enough to make a qualified assessment of it. Personally I prefer playing it in SDR as the game just looks brighter in that mode.

It is not necessary to go through all of these steps, you can just run:

(Get-AppxPackage -Name "<APPX PACKAGE NAME>" | Get-AppxPackageManifest).Package.Capabilities | select -ExpandProperty Capability

Well, now I'm sorta ashamed... I'm the department's PowerShell expert, and have too many hours of experience in PowerShell to count...

Using it for client related stuff passed me by, basically, since I'm mostly use it for server related stuff I guess.

Thanks a lot though for reminding me of PowerShell's AppX capabilities :D

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I like the HDR implementation very much to be honest -- it seems overall dark compared to regular SDR. The whole scene is noticeably darker in HDR, everywhere you go. Even the desert are or the Resistance Camp (two areas quiiite bright in SDR) is more on the dark than the bright side in HDR.

I wonder if QLOC just ported over the HDR in the Xbox version which was pretty crap to begin with.

I tried to get HDR working with FAR to compare but it would always crash the game for me.

Aemony

Nov 6, 2017
I tried to get HDR working with FAR to compare but it would always crash the game for me.

Yeah, sadly Kaldaien is gearing up for NieR: Replicant so he won't visit the MS Store version of NieR: Automata anytime soon to fix the compatibility issues. I've so far not been able to prevent the game from crashing with any of the various versions of Special K (FAR) that I've tried either... 😭

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The latest Yakuzas were a mess? How so? I only remember minor lighting and saving bugs in Yakuza Zero which were fixed after a few months (and the saving bugs were related to Save Anywhere as far as I know, an optional feature not available in the original release, which I think did not cause the bug if it wasn't used).

QLOC has a very good history of PC ports for Capcom too.
QLOC's only ported the Dragon Engine Yakuzas iirc (so Kiwami 2, 7 and soon 6 and Judgement).

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, still got a month of Gamepass left, guess I should make use of it. Glad I didn't buy it on Steam.

I will say that I have had zero problems with the games. No crashes and they all run flawlessly. I'm on a base 4790 too.

Not only that, but all 3 games have fan patches that restore licensed music that's missing on the console versions. Plus, you get the better Tanimura for 4.

Astrot

Oct 27, 2017
I can't change any settings without the game crashing. Otherwise the game runs fine but i can't turn on anti aliasing or ambient occlusion.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Well, now I'm sorta ashamed... I'm the department's PowerShell expert, and have too many hours of experience in PowerShell to count...

Using it for client related stuff passed me by, basically, since I'm mostly use it for server related stuff I guess.

it's just stuff that I had found in testing while trying to unfuck windows store installs lol, no need to be ashamed

unless you do UWP packaging at work and do appx deployments, I imagine most people don't know these commands exist or don't think to check (especially for non-work stuff)

I wish we had more opportunities at my job for PowerShell, almost everything I do now is macOS and UNIX and PS Core isn't enough for me without .NET

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
I mean sure but he doesn't even know what replicant will be like yet, it might be a flawless port for pc/steam. Then he might find the ENERGY for game pass version.
Another thing about Game Pass / Windows Store games is that their files are locked, which makes doing any modification or injection very hard, or nearly impossible.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
How is Square-Enix so bad at this?

Never discounts the half-baked, Denuvo ridden Steam version to less than 50% off.

Blesses GamePass with a better and improved release?!

I guess they just do the bare minimum and then move on. Look at the state of FFXIII on PC...

There is no better way to play this game. Far fixed some things and you can add textures, but the port is still a mess.

zXe

Apr 3, 2020
Another thing about Game Pass / Windows Store games is that their files are locked, which makes doing any modification or injection very hard, or nearly impossible.
This is a good point. And I realise he probably is probably aware of this and that's part of his reasoning. Hmm

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

SDR:
NieR_Automata_PC_2021-03-18_17_11_50.png

HDR (tonemapped to SDR using Win10's game bar):
NieR_Automata_PC_2021-03-18_17_09_28.png

Even the menus and such are noticeably darker in HDR compared to SDR, and there's only a single brightness slider so you have none of those HDR calibration sliders that you have in other games. It's like they made the effects "pop" in HDR by lowering the overall scene brightness.

The in-game brightness slider increases the overall brightness as well, which means it really harms contrast the higher you go on it.

I hope that someone more versed in HDR takes a look and compares the modes between one another, as I don't think I'm experienced enough to make a qualified assessment of it. Personally I prefer playing it in SDR as the game just looks brighter in that mode.

Iirc the Xbox version is fake HDR so this is likely the same. I'd disable it if I were you

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
They are -- first thing I did was transfer my Steam saves over and partake in the achievement rain that it resulted in. I've posted a somewhat convoluted method of transferring saves between versions over on PCGamingWiki: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/NieR:_Automata#Transfer_saves_between_versions

Hopefully someone will throw together a tool that automates that whole process as some users might find the multiple steps involved a bit frightening or confusing.

I was doing well with this until I read the first 34 bytes, I have no idea what that means.

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the part that it was everything up until the name. Got it now, great guide and working for me atleast.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
No game from the Windows store supports the DS4 afaik

This definitely isn't true, from my experience.

LOL at "new platform". GamePass and Windows Store is not a platform. What an asinine way to justify not bringing this to existing PC owners.

A lot of Steam users would vehemently disagree with you, re: whether Steam is different from the Win Store for them. Regardless, it's a new port of a newer iteration (the Become As Gods edition), hence the enhancements. It's definitely not great customer support leaving the original version in the state it's in, but this is a new version on a new storefront, with the new port-work seemingly covered as part of the benefits of being on Game Pass.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyway I can get DS4 to work with all games that support a gamepad? I'm really not tryna play a game like Nier with mouse and keyboard

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Damn it runs at around 50 fps for me. I have a GTX 1060 with a Ryzen 3600. Any recommendations for better framerate? I do have vysnc turned off

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone tried driver level FXAA + Nvidia sharpening? Since its a UWP game, it could be the best solution for the LOD problem.