Not open for further replies.
Friendly reminder
  • Redcrayon

Patient hunter
    On Break
    Oct 27, 2017
    UK
    Hi everyone.

Just a quick reminder. Do not antagonise your fellow members, whether they are insiders or not.
    It's fine to be disappointed/frustrated etc, but if you can't join the conversation without taking it out on other members, you're better off ignoring the thread.

Quality post
  • MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
    Feb 12, 2019
    Yes, I know. It's awful and everybody's sad and so on (I'm being a little facetious, but maybe you do feel sad or frustrated or fed up? Sorry to hear it). But here's some reassurance and some reasons to be cheerful:

- 2020 is going to end soon: We're nearly in the final third of the year, folks. It's been awful. And I mean it in every sense of the word - personal, professional, political - things have been real bad. Life as we know it has been brought to a halt. A friend of mine has permanent lung-damage thanks to Covid-19 and the dream job I landed in March is in serious jeopardy, throwing my whole future into question, so I know first-hand how terrible things are.

And new Nintendo games are thin on the ground. I'm not here to tell you to get a grip. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't seem important, but I get it: when things are bad and you need a refuge, you retreat into a hobby or past-time that brings you comfort, excitement, distraction. So it's frustrating when you don't have those things when you feel you need it most. But every day that goes by, we're getting through the year. Top scientists continue their research all over the world and move closer to finding treatments and potentially a vaccine which will allow us to go about the fuller patterns and behaviours of our lives. So hang in there.

- Super Mario 3D All-Stars will be confirmed soon: Now the Partner Showcase threw us all for a loop, and maybe we should've listened when Nintendo warned us we'd see more of those presentations, but let's not throw the Mario Collection baby out with the general Direct bathwater (and I'll get to the 'general Direct' next). Nate, Jeff Grubb, Tom Phillips have all hinted at a reveal coming in soon - probably either shortly before or shortly after next weekend. Why's that reassuring? Multiple reasons, friends!
    a) It'll put an end to the 'is it real' talk.
    b) For those of you who are sick of speculating about it, it'll be out the way. We can move on.
    c) For those of you who've never played the games and want to play them on Switch, congratulations!
    d) Maybe you want to share them with someone special - a sibling who remembers them, a partner new to your hobby, a child who's never experienced them. Well, you'll have your chance soon.
    e) Maybe you're like me and an old friend like Mario feels pretty welcome this year. Let's-a-go with some reassurance gaming.

- Maybe, just maybe, there's a September presentation that isn't a Partner Showcase: Now, we're twiced burned, once shy, thanks to the Partner Showcases. But Jeff Grubb still seems to think some sort of first/third party presentation is in-coming and let's be fair, Jeff was right to be cautious this week. On top of that, when E3 was canned, the original timeframe we had for the next Direct - according to multiple outlets - was September. We've been misdirected (no pun intended) in July and again this month, so I think caution is sensible - but stranger things have happened and there are still some signs we get some sort of presentation for first-party news. And what's more, this is an idea we can put to rest very quickly - the window we've got is the next couple of weeks.

- Indies World was banging: No seriously, I'm still full of buzz after this. Want a short, sweet game with stop-motion animations, about making a turn-based RPG for your ill younger sibling? That's a shadow-drop. Want a short, sweet, relaxing game about being a strange bird person who takes a hike around a beautiful island? That's a shadow-drop. Want a Prince of Persia style action-adventure game based on Indian mythology? That's a shadow-drop. How about a first-person game full of beautiful geometric architecture and mind-bending puzzles? Oh, you better believe that's a shadow-drop. Indies are helping to rescue 2020 on Switch with a wide array of inventive, moving games. Want a bunch of other stuff? Indies World has you covered.

Want something more traditional? How about an action-RPG that combines meta-storytelling, a Xenoblade like approach to MMO style sidequests, great 2D visuals, Secret of Mana style action combat, Golden Sun & 2D Zelda style puzzles, and pretty funny writing? Cross Code has you covered and from what I've played, it's shaping up to be something special. And indies might have you covered later in 2020, too - Axiom Verge 2 might make the year, and there's another great looking take on the RPG coming in a couple of months - Cris Tales (take a look at it, it's on the eShop!). And, just this weekend, Windbound and The Last Campfire launched. I've no idea if they're good, but man are indies trying to bring us the good stuff.

Now, a warning: look away if you don't like speculation and you're feeling especially cautious, or if you hate lists:

- Smoke suggests more good things are coming, so hang in there! Monster Hunter Switch talk gathers pace, potentially for a reveal soon. New 2D Metroid has been rumoured for ages and development timelines suggest it might be due for 2021. Skyward Sword HD is almost certainly a thing. Development on the next Xenoblade is advanced, and they may have been recording the soundtrack over the summer. Multiple EPD groups have been quiet for a while now and may have their next games ready for 2021, including EPD 8 (the 3D Mario team), EPD 9 (the Mario Kart team), and EPD 10 (2D Mario, Pikmin). EPD 4 (Labo, Ring Fit) normally have a Switch game every year and we're yet to see the next madcap idea from those folks. Studios like HAL Laboratory and Camelot Software Planning have been quiet since 2018, too. Bloomberg say Nintendo always planned to go big on 2021 and, even though we can say right now 2021 games have certainly been delayed too and won't have gone to plan, it won't be difficult for 2021 to be a better year. 2020 projects are being shunted into 2021, new Switch hardware is in the works, and great games are in the works too.

Other things are coming, even if the picture is really unclear right now: Detective Club remakes are happening in Japan and by Zeus I hope they happen outside Japan too. Bayonetta 3 is (still) in development and so is Metroid Prime 4. Bravely Default 2, No More Heroes 3 and Doom Eternal are, right now, still set for 2020. Switch even has a handful of other multi-format third-party games in the works, like Empire of Sin and Gods & Monsters. After 20 years, New Pokemon Snap is a thing! Who the fuck saw that happening? Detective Pikachu Switch is another thing (and hey, kudos to Creatures Inc, who gathered information on user-interface design on social media - the game's afoot, gang). Pokemon Unite is a thing, but let's move on because third-party games like Little Nightmares 2, Balan Wonderworld, and LEGO Skywalker Saga are coming in 2021. And guess what? So is a remaster of Shin Megami Tensei 3 and, after Metroid Prime 4, Switch's second most-nebulous game is landing globally in 2021: Shin Megami Tensei V. And guys, I don't want to alarm you, but the sequel to Breath of the Wild is in development and our gal Zelda turns 35 in 2021. Doesn't she look great? And I haven't forgotten Samus Aran, Space Warrior, who deserves a big 35th birthday bash too. Here's hoping Nintendo know it.

And, most importantly of all, if the GameBoys come to Nintendo Switch Online, we can all play the Wario Land series together. Kumbaya, my friends.

[tagging our friends skittzo0413 and Raccoon because they seem to have checked out due to fatigue and I want to share my warm fuzzy feelings with them]

Glory beyond measure
  • Oct 25, 2017
    Darn I was hoping it was the completed ritual, quick while DC is gone!
    Dark Cloud has been defeated? I just looked, it's true!
    Oh god, the final key... it's been turned.
    There truly must be another announcement on the way in September.
    I see it, I see it moving...

Post soundtrack: https://youtu.be/7E2kHsamg44?t=78
    IMq136d.gif

I̶̓ͅT̴͈̎ ̵̬̕ ̷̺͛L̷̤̄Ī̶͍V̸̓ͅȆ̷͚S̵̩͊ ̵̧̀ ̵̙́Ǎ̴͔N̶̜̽D̴̬̾ ̸̻̽ ̷͉̀B̷̀͜R̷̦̀E̸̤̓Ã̵̞T̵͍̿H̸̩́È̵͙Ṡ̷̟

On this blessed day the Decagram reveals to us its final form: All its stars collected and permanently lit, its appendages free to move and dance. The Dark Cloud has been lifted, releasing it from its binds.
    Power courses freely through its veins now animated with life, emitting
    sounds haunting yet familiar. A form from Dill Spowser's past that he is all too familiar with. All shall love it and despair!
    Our ritual is finished. However something has gone awry, the decagram twitches in pain. One of the sacrifices was wrong, the blood tainted. It struggles, its magic slowed by this error. But should the nintendo gods smile on us, within two weeks we may yet receive a new star quest from the gods. An entire collection of ways to serve those on high! We await its fruit, praise be the decagram!
    There is nothing else our mortal hands can accomplish, now the power of the decagram lies solely in the ever fickle hands of the nintendo gods.
    Do not stare too long into its eyes, lest it look back too deeply into yours...

There may be surprises yet to come once a direct is truly done

Some wisdom
  • Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
    Alcalá de Henares, Spain
    The weirdest thing this year is that insiders have mostly been right about every single date. Most of the time something came up we knew about it beforehand. It's just that none of the presentations have been what people were expecting, and then they blamed the insiders for it and treat them as having failed them even though they absolutely nailed it.

Like the infamous first Partner Showcase. We knew about it, even considering the odd date. But nobody liked it, therefore they were wrong. Being an insider isn't worth it. People don't just take your info for what it is, just info. Instead of taking it as a gift and using it as a basis for discussion people take it as some sort divine offering: "We'll see if your offering was good or not". It's not about whether it's accurate or not, it's about whether they got what they wanted. It they did, you are the new messiah. If they did not, then you were somehow incorrect and at fault, even if you were literally right.

It's the same thing with stuff like Starfox Grand Prix. Rarely do a bunch of insiders get the same info and then miss the mark. Instead of being surprised and wondering what the heck happened, people just use it as a free get-out-of-jail card when discussing the accuracy of rumours. "B-But Starfox Grand Prix!" even though it was the exception rather than the rule. Such a binary way of seeing rumours and leaks. They can be more than right or wrong. They can be bullshit, partially right, outdated, completely right, etc. The Gematsu leak during the days of Smash 4 speculation is a great example of a leak that was inaccurate yet completely real. Over time it has become obvious that it featured outdated info. But that didn't make it a fake, or untrue. It just made it inaccurate in regards to the final roster.

From what I've read lurking all this time I think a lot of the household posters in this thread understand that in the end it is just marketing. They like it, they have fun with it, they speculate and they are genuinely excited for news. But that's just what it is, news. It seems many other people don't understand this notion and let themselves be too emotionally attached to the news cycle. They feel like Nintendo is treating them unfairly so they turn to insiders in search of hope and when they "betray" them they get angry. Or maybe it's just people that enjoy taking the advantage of hindsight to mock people for getting things wrong. I don't know.

I guess my two cents would be that if you are going to be an arse to an insider for being wrong the very least you could do is research and make sure they are actually getting things wrong. Or, you know, not being an arse to them to begin with would be even better.

Last edited:
    Hype responsibly
  • Plum

May 31, 2018
    HYPE RESPONSIBLY

If you expect anything more from this than the original, untouched versions of these games boosted to HD and - maybe - widescreen then you're expecting too much.

Don't expect a graphical overhaul. Don't expect any signficant QoL improvements or design changes (especially for Sunshine). Don't expect stuff like the Mario 64 DS content to be included. Definitely don't expect Galaxy 2.

Status
    Not open for further replies.