• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
MP1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time, but the dysfunction at Retro has really dampened my hopes for MP4. I don't have faith it will be up to standard, sadly. I hope I'm wrong, but a studio doesn't go five years with no releases if everything is fine. And MP3 was already on the wrong track.

I'm looking forward to the HD trilogy way more than MP4 at point.
The fact that nintendo outright scrapped the whole game after over a year and a half to give it to retro saying that it needs to be up to standards should make you feel better. We are talking a major aaa game, they aren't going to mess around now.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I wonder if their status as Nintendo's only American studio of note is causing some issues as well. EPD and their other Japanese studios have adopted a very collaborative approach to development, shifting people around "teams" as they see fit. It wouldn't surprise me if Retro by themselves simply wasn't up to the task of finishing whatever they were working on all these years.

Which makes me question Nintendo's decision to put them on MP4...

Perhaps Nintendo should consider expanding their western holdings. I'm surprised they haven't bought out Next Level Games yet.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully everything is on track with Retro now. They've been hiring many new positions that they've never had. They're too great of a studio to have these issues. All of Nintendo's other studios are producing at a consistent rate when it comes to new games.

A high quality studio like them should be taken care of very well by Nintendo. People have come in and out and they still put out one of the best games ever in TF.

I always looked at them and Naughty Dog as 2 of the best western studios. So, I hope it's all figured out and they can put out new games consistently after Metroid Prime 4. I have no doubts MP4 will be great. I never question the quality of their games.

Not sure if NST worked with Retro in the past, but this probably means NST is helping with MP4 in some capacity. I'm always a proponent of internal studios helping each other.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still talking Retro?

My best thoughts are whatever they were working on did not pan out, and then Nintendo asked them to get a Prime Trilogy HD reboot for the Switch going so that will be the only project we see from them in the near future besides Prime 4.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo is sitting on the Prime Trilogy remaster and that does make the situation at Retro look worse than it probably is. They should have released that this year already.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not like you want to release 3 Metroid Prime games so close to Metroid Prime 4. Just go ahead and release them. Who cares when MP4 comes out?? When Metroid Prime 4 is fully revealed and marketing gets going for it then mention MPT being on the Switch for people to play.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like you want to release 3 Metroid Prime games so close to Metroid Prime 4. Just go ahead and release them. Who cares when MP4 comes out?? When Metroid Prime 4 is fully revealed and marketing gets going for it then mention MPT being on the Switch for people to play.
Yea I mean there wasn't an issue doing it for bayonetta, so I don't get it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea I mean there wasn't an issue doing it for bayonetta, so I don't get it.
Exactly. There is no issue. Plus this is 3 games not two games. People will get burnt out. That's not even the main point. Just get them out early next year. If Prime 4 releases late 2021 or 2022, then everyone will be ready. You can bring up the Trilogy and even put it on sale for MP4's marketing.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. There is no issue. Plus this is 3 games not two games. People will get burnt out. That's not even the main point. Just get them out early next year. If Prime 4 releases late 2021 or 2022, then everyone will be ready. You can bring up the Trilogy and even put it on sale for MP4's marketing.
Even if it was late 2022, I don't see the issue. I guess it just also depends on metroid 5 coming out. If metroid 5 was next year, then maybe they hold trilogy until early 21.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps Nintendo should consider expanding their western holdings. I'm surprised they haven't bought out Next Level Games yet.
There's no real reason for them to. NLG is practically a first party anyways at this point. They've been exclusively making Nintendo games for ages now. Intelligent Systems is in a pretty similar boat.

Why buy what you already get for free?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The more this needs to happen, the less I expect it to. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they expand iQue more than Retro.

It's a chicken and egg scenario really. They're not going to expand when Retro has crapped the bed. NST is probably in better shape considering the quality of Mario Maker 3DS, Captain Toad 3DS and Snipperclips(which they helped with).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
It's a chicken and egg scenario really. They're not going to expand when Retro has crapped the bed. NST is probably in better shape considering the quality of Mario Maker 3DS, Captain Toad 3DS and Snipperclips(which they helped with).
Now that you mentioned it, Snipperclips is due for a sequel. I think Nintendo even bought that IP.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
So....... 2020. My updated predictions.

• Animal Crossing New Horizons
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
  • Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions (port)
  • Super Mario Galaxy Collection (1+2)/Super Mario 3D World Deluxe (port with added levels, either new or updated 3D Land levels, new characters)
  • Paper Mario/Mario Sports title
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • No More Heroes 3
  • Bayonetta 3

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas

• Super Mario Galaxy Collection (1+2)/Super Mario 3D World Deluxe (port with added levels, either new or updated 3D Land levels, new characters)
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • No More Heroes 3
  • Bayonetta 3
add MPT HD and it would be a fantastic year.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Direct Speculation and Retro Studios Conspiracy Theories |OT| Come on Reggie, give us Metroid Prime Trilogy

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • No More Heroes 3
  • Bayonetta 3

I'm surprised you would put a port of a 3D Mario game and not a new one. Don't they usually put out a new one every 3 years?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
retro should be naughty dog? uh

the gigantic western studios actively trying to be naughty dog usually can't do it

i mean dang

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
They're already better anyway. So....
not talking about quality of game.

I mean Metroid and DK TF are games of year level. That's not even a debate.

but the posts seemed to be clearly talking about budget and AAA spectacle, graphics, animations and all that whatever stuff
that Retro isn't going to do and doesn't need to do. And can't do.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Sucker Punch hasn't put out a game since early 2014 and Ghost of Tsushima is still nowhere to be seen, but people aren't being stupid about that game. Rocksteady put out Arkham Knight in 2015 and have been missing ever since.

Why does Retro attract so much nonsense? They're a one game studio, that one game got cancelled. Shit happens all the time in game development. Now they're working on Prime 4, it's meaningless speculating about them until we see Prime 4 in a year or two.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not talking about quality of game.

I mean Metroid and DK TF are games of year level. That's not even a debate.

but the posts seemed to be clearly talking about budget and AAA spectacle, graphics, animations and all that whatever stuff
that Retro isn't going to do and doesn't need to do. And can't do.
I know this isn't directed at me because I never said size of games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucker Punch hasn't put out a game since early 2014 and Ghost of Tsushima is still nowhere to be seen, but people aren't being stupid about that game. Rocksteady put out Arkham Knight in 2015 and have been missing ever since.

Why does Retro attract so much nonsense? They're a one game studio, that one game got cancelled. Shit happens all the time in game development. Now they're working on Prime 4, it's meaningless speculating about them until we see Prime 4 in a year or two.
Retro is a Nintendo first party dev. This is a Nintendo topic not a Sony and Warner Bros topic. This is why they're discussed so much here.

Status
Not open for further replies.