• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Personally I'm really hype for Pikmin 3. I played it forever ago when it first released, honestly it'll just feel almost like a new game for me. I have almost 0 memories from it. Super hype.

3D World on the other hand, I know this game (just like every other 3D Mario games) almost by heart. I think in the last 3 years (2017, 2018, 2019) I've played it to completition each year ?
Definitely in 2018 (with my girlfriend, first time playing it completely in coop) and 2019 (redoing the whole game with Rosalina).

So I'm a bit less hype, but bring it on, it's a wonderful game that NEEDS to be on Switch ! Can't wait to replay it with my girlfriend. They'll probably add a new character tho, this is hype, wonder who it will be ! Wario ? Pauline ? Fucking Donkey Kong ?! (This would be awesome ! Maybe the closest we'll get to 3D Donkey Kong lol)

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind 3DW coming this year, but it does make me incredibly anxious that there won't be a game from EPD Tokyo this year.

Give me Odyssey 2, Captain Toad 2, 3D DK, anything! They're my favorite Nintendo developer and make incredible 3D action games, and I'd die if they pulled a Retro Studios and disappeared.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more hyped for Pikmin 3 because I didn't get to play it much when I bought it. I heard so many good things and Emily said they're adding new single player content to this Switch version! 3D World I love, but I have to see if they add new levels. I have no one to play with this time

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
So, if SM3DW is coming to the Switch...I never played it. Same with Odyssey actually. What are the pros/cons of each?
3D World plays like 2D Mario with another dimension. It has more involved platforming because of this, but it can also be difficult to parse out your jumps and see everything clearly. Recently, it has been heralded by some vocal members of the site as superior to Odyssey. It has a fantastic soundtrack.

Odyssey plays like Mario 64 crossed with a collectathon like Banjo-Kazooie. It has open spaces with a lot of content in a fewer number of worlds (15 levels iirc). Graphically it's less clean than 3D World but more detailed (specifically Mario himself looks a lot better in Odyssey). Mario controls like a dream, with a lot of fluid jumps and movement.

Both are pretty good games, but the one that I own on Switch I played two years ago, and the one that's coming out this year I played 7 years ago, so I'm a bit biased. To you, it'll depend on personal preference.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
imo odyssey 2 and pokemon (gen 4 remakes?) will be their big games for 2021. odyssey 2 in october, pokemon in november.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
I say this as someone who is optimistic about this year.

My only concern about 2020 is that Nintendo might lean a little too hard on re-releases of older stuff as a crutch to fill out their calendar. Nintendo has already officially announced Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remaster/remake for this year. I can also confirm that Nintendo has (at least) two more unannounced Wii U ports. They are not difficult to guess because there aren't many Wii U games left to port.

Also, if you aren't into Animal Crossing, then the first 3-4 months of 2020 won't be super amazing for you personally. Nintendo is obviously treating Animal Crossing as their big March title, so that's something people will just need to accept. And as we saw with 2019, Nintendo likes to dump most of their biggest releases in the second half of the year. Which typically makes the pacing for the first half of the year slower by comparison.

Thanks so much for keeping us informed, Emily. Sounds like the status quo for Nintendo, which to me isn't inherently a bad thing. I'm excited to try my first Animal Crossing game in March, I didn't own a Wii U so I'm really looking forward to Pikmin and 3D World, and I'm still excited at the prospect of the (hopefully) terrific H2 Nintendo will have in 2020. As long as we have a bombshell or two to look forward to this year, then I'm sold.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I dunno about Odyssey 2 guys, that's just my interpretation of things. We'll see this year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice
So no idea of what this Direct might have yet? Like I highly doubt they show off BoTW2 but maybe some smaller stuff for the first half of 2020 and one big announcement for the later half
There's nothing concrete at the moment. It looks like Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World ports will be announced or at least one of them.

I'm thinking we will see at least 2 brand new Nintendo first party games. I want Paper Mario and 2D Metroid announcements lol

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The idea of synergy between the Mario theme park and a 3D World port is pretty slick, and I think it would make a lot of sense

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
This, but I see Odyssey 2 coming earlier in the year.

Emily, I'm not sure if you can answer this, but do you think we'll see new games from the Mario Kart and 2D Mario team this year?
Definitely not anything from 2D Mario team, Maker 2 released last June, and they are doing updates. There was some hiring few weeks ago for 2D action game but i don't see anything coming from them for 2-3 years.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
I just happened into this on Youtube and went on a trip down memory lane. I really want another DK game.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how much Nintendo cares about tying 3D Worlds release close to the opening of Super Nintendo World in Japan, but I could see it since the Mario section is based off of 3D World.

Maybe it played a factor in Nintendo wanting 3D World to come this year

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
There's nothing concrete at the moment. It looks like Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World ports will be announced or at least one of them.

I'm thinking we will see at least 2 brand new Nintendo first party games. I want Paper Mario and 2D Metroid announcements lol
You and I are always on the same page. Considering we've already had BotW 2's reveal, even though that's going to be my most anticipated game on Switch until it releases, the perfect Direct would include a return to traditional Mario RPG roots and a reveal of SOMETHING Metroid. Odyssey 2 would be fantastic, but wouldn't get my hype levels up like those other games would.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I say this as someone who is optimistic about this year.

My only concern about 2020 is that Nintendo might lean a little too hard on re-releases of older stuff as a crutch to fill out their calendar. Nintendo has already officially announced Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remaster/remake for this year. I can also confirm that Nintendo has (at least) two more unannounced Wii U ports. They are not difficult to guess because there aren't many Wii U games left to port.

Also, if you aren't into Animal Crossing, then the first 3-4 months of 2020 won't be super amazing for you personally. Nintendo is obviously treating Animal Crossing as their big March title, so that's something people will just need to accept. And as we saw with 2019, Nintendo likes to dump most of their biggest releases in the second half of the year. Which typically makes the pacing for the first half of the year slower by comparison.

Do you think we'll see any kind of new hardware this year? Not colors but either a Pro version of Switch or even a slight redesigns of existing Switches?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
The first port is Pikmin 3.
If Nintendo doesn't delay BOTW2 then Super Mario 3D World is the second port.
If they delay it, then Super Mario Odyssey 2 will be released this winter instead and Wind Waker HD is the second port.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey 1 itself is like the longest it has taken EPD Tokyo to put out a new game, and that was in 4 years.

We are getting close to the 3 year point from Odyssey 1, a game that had next to no post launch support and was reportedly finished early. I'm just stumped where they are at, I feel like they have to have literally anything to release by early 2021 at this point. /fanxiety meltdown

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
So, if SM3DW is coming to the Switch...I never played it. Same with Odyssey actually. What are the pros/cons of each?
Both are masterpieces, but VERY different.
For 3D Land and 3D World, they designed them as "what if a classic 2D Mario experience was actually transposed to a 3D environnement and level design ?"
Each level is crazy and SO different from any other level in the game (it's really crazy how diverse this game is), you can play as Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad (you unlock Rosalina in post game), each with their own abilities and stats (like in SMB USA). Up to 4 players, the co op is hilarious. Even more fun than NSMB imo.

Super Mario Odyssey is sandbox platformer, but still different from 64 and Sunshine. More open, more freedom in how to complete the missions thanks to the Cappy mecanics. Given the open design of the game, Mario is more easily controlable than in 3D World. You have access to a TON of different moves, Mario can jump like a lunatic and basically can access anywhere. The focus is less on difficult platforming, but more on "how do I want to get there ?". It's just a joy to play. I really like how Dunkey described it "if this game doesn't put the biggest smile on your face while playing, it means you are dead inside".

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I never played Pikmin 3 but I really liked Pikmin 1 and loved Pikmin 2.

What's the consensus about Pikmin 3, is it even better than these 2? Just curious.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019

A Paper Mario announcement would just be icing on this delicious cake. I really hope that IP isn't dead to Nintendo

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
If you haven't played 3D World it's one of the best Mario games ever. You can do 4 player co-op which is fun as hell. You get points and scored at the end of each levels. It's not fully open levels. The charm and the music is amazing for this game

Yeah I was just reading the critical reception on wikipedia. Can't wait to play it!

I really wish they'd release Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword though lol haven't played any of those. I'm sure they will eventually though.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You and I are always on the same page. Considering we've already had BotW 2's reveal, even though that's going to be my most anticipated game on Switch until it releases, the perfect Direct would include a return to traditional Mario RPG roots and a reveal of SOMETHING Metroid. Odyssey 2 would be fantastic, but wouldn't get my hype levels up like those other games would.

Maybe we're twins? 🤨
Odyssey 1 itself is like the longest it has taken EPD Tokyo to put out a new game, and that was in 4 years.

We are getting close to the 3 year point from Odyssey 1, a game that had next to no post launch support and was reportedly finished early. I'm just stumped where they are at, I feel like they have to have literally anything to release by early 2021 at this point. /fanxiety meltdown

Odyssey 1 had to wait for the Switch to release lol. The 3D Mario team could have a smaller game coming this year.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018

It was not 4 years but 3, since Captain Toad released in November 2014.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wii U ports you say?

71lMpiGX-YL.AC_SL1000_.jpg

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Paper Mario announcement would just be icing on this delicious cake. I really hope that IP isn't dead to Nintendo

Paper Mario RPG *muah*

Yeah I was just reading the critical reception on wikipedia. Can't wait to play it!

I really wish they'd release Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword though lol haven't played any of those. I'm sure they will eventually though.

The game is great when playing with others. It's so much fun. I'm not sure if we'll see Skyward Sword because of the motion controls with combat. The game was designed around it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This poll is dumb

The real poll should be
Jan 8
Jan 9
Jan 15
Jan 16
Other

It's so obviously gonna be in January but can we predict the date? I'm team Jan. 8

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Miyamoto is in the direct to do a quick reveal of Pikmin 3 Deluxe. He probably won't, but it's nice seeing him on camera.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Based on that Emily comment, I can see why she would say something like that, as even a conservative estimate puts us at 5 re-releases for this year, at the very least.

1- FE
2- Xenoblade DE
3- Wii U Port
4- Wii U Port
5- Pokémon Diamond / Pearl?

And averaging 1 big first-party game per month, that only leaves 7 new games for 2020.

6- Animal Crossing
7- Bravely Default 2
8- Zelda BotW 2?
9-??
10-??
11-??
12-??

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on that Emily comment, I can see why she would say something like that, as even a conservative estimate puts us at 5 re-releases for this year, at the very least.

1- FE
2- Xenoblade DE
3- Wii U Port
4- Wii U Port
5- Pokémon Diamond / Pearl

And averaging 1 big first-party game per month, that only leaves 7 new games for 2020.

6- Animal Crossing
7- Octopath Traveller
8- Zelda BotW 2?
9-??
10-??
11-??
12-??
Octopath Traveler released 2 years ago. Pokémon is not a sure thing

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019

1- FE
2- Xenoblade DE
3- Wii U Port
4- Wii U Port

6- Animal Crossing
7- Octopath Traveller
8- Zelda BotW 2?
9-??
10-??
11-??
12-??

I think you mean Bravely Default II?

Oct 26, 2017

1- FE
2- Xenoblade DE
3- Wii U Port
4- Wii U Port

6- Animal Crossing
7- Octopath Traveller
8- Zelda BotW 2?
9-??
10-??
11-??
12-??

Are we sure that the Diamond/Pearl remake won't get delayed.

That would be three consecutive years of Pokemon RPGs.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Not sure why people have such a big problem with Wii U ports. The system flopped hard but had some absolutely amazing games. Those games should get a chance to shine for the metric ton of new Nintendo console owners. I almost wish they would port Nintendo Land to be honest. I really have no interest in breaking out the Wii U at this point. It's more of a hassle than it's worth, but god damn I loved that Co-Op Metroid game in Nintendo Land. My wife and I would play the absolute shit out of that game. I'd roll as Samus and she would be air support. It had some meat to it too! Complete with Boss battles. Such a shame that had to live and die on the Wii U. :'(

maxresdefault.jpg

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.