Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
t1579010400z4.png
Are you trying to kill me?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Three Houses had a minimal IS staff though(several directors), so some kind of parallel development isn't unbelievable. It already happened once with Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance.

It still would have had to have been something started in 2017 though when all signs pointed to the 3DS being out. Plus, technically speaking, they would have been split, and may continue to be split, due to FEH.

May 10, 2019
I really can't trust any "leaks" that say that there was a 3DS FE remake that was planned after SoV and then cancelled. There's no time for it at all. SoV came out in 2017, and then they would have gone straight to TH. IS has made comments on wanting to make more remakes, so it's likely we will get another, but that detail about being from the 3DS is a big red flag to me.

It would be too soon if it was IS doing the remake, but it looks like it might've been in AlphaDream's garage. Again, if it was initially planned to be 6+7, I'm hoping that if the remake plans were brought in-house, it's shifted to Holy War/Thracia since those need way more attention.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
It's not, been the case since a while. This year's festa has been in 2 parts, both of which have a focus on MHW Iceborne DLC announcements and events.
MH 4G was announced at Festa in 2013 for example, but most other MH games have been announced in investors conferences or Nintendo Directs (or E3 for World).
It doesn't much obviously, but if there's a time to tease a MH Switch logo, it's there (or the Direct just before/afterwards I guess)

So it's safe to say a possible MH Next won't be announced at Festa considering the MHW Iceborne focus?

Thanks for the answers btw.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Raccoon, you're definitely in for a treat when N64 NSO rolls around in 2021. Even if they just stick to games released on previous VC services (doubtful on that) we'll get a bunch of classic titles (some holding up a bit better than others), including:
  • 1080° Snowboarding
  • Bomberman 64
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • F-Zero X
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Mario Party 2
  • Paper Mario
  • Pokémon Snap
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Star Fox 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Wave Race 64
among others. The dream is that we'll go beyond those games though, especially into Rare's lineup and some slightly more obscure classics like Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.
I would play literally every one of these games repeatedly, maybe if i believe long enough i can will it into existence.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I do hope Metroid V has a better overall look than M2 remake. Can't have Samus getting shown up by Hollow Knight and Ori.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope Metroid V has a better overall look than M2 remake. Can't have Samus getting shown up by Hollow Knight and Ori.

I wouldn't expect it too look as stylized as either of those really. The aesthetic of certain parts in Ori in particular made it hard to make out what exactly to do, left me wanting some "cleaner" Metroid like design.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This is my biggest worry. What's going to be the artstyle. I liked Samus Returns, but I didn't think was "omg" so great artstyle. I need something better for Metroid V
Switch has more juice than the 3DS so hopefully it looks a little sharper over all. Returns on Citra in 1080p looks pretty sharp.

Jan 11, 2018

This is my biggest worry. What's going to be the artstyle. I liked Samus Returns, but I didn't think was "omg" so great artstyle. I need something better for Metroid V

Obviously it won't look as good as Prime 4, but I think it can look quite nice. The Lords of Shadow games had really strong art direction. With the 3DS they had to put some of the focus on the technical aspects of making it work in 3D, and also having to somewhat adhere to the vibe of Return of Samus. None of that will apply here. And now they have some experience with Metroid as well, so they'll have a better sense of how the world of Metroid should look.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
was there ever a metroid game planned for N64, or didi they just ignore the series for that console?
From a mag interview:

games™: "This apprehension over 3D gaming, is that the reason there was never a Metroid 64?"

Sakamoto: "I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn't be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn't imagine how it could be used to move Samus around. So for me it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid at that time. Also, I know this is isn't a direct answer to your question but Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately they didn't have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favourably with Super Metroid. That's something I take as a compliment to what we achieved with Super Metroid."

games™: "Can you say who that company was?"

Sakamoto: "Sorry, I cannot."

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From a mag interview:

games™: "This apprehension over 3D gaming, is that the reason there was never a Metroid 64?"

Sakamoto: "I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn't be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn't imagine how it could be used to move Samus around. So for me it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid at that time. Also, I know this is isn't a direct answer to your question but Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately they didn't have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favourably with Super Metroid. That's something I take as a compliment to what we achieved with Super Metroid."

IIRC, Sakamoto once spoke about not finding a suitable control scheme for a N64 Metroid.
interesting, thanks.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From a mag interview:

In conclusion they were all scared.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Obviously it won't look as good as Prime 4, but I think it can look quite nice. The Lords of Shadow games had really strong art direction. With the 3DS they had to put some of the focus on the technical aspects of making it work in 3D, and also having to somewhat adhere to the vibe of Return of Samus. None of that will apply here. And now they have some experience with Metroid as well, so they'll have a better sense of how the world of Metroid should look.
Here's hoping they nail that Super Metroid grime/grit combined with garish colours look.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have a summary of the more credible rumors (about the Direct happening, as well as Nintendo's games for the year)?

Jan 11, 2018
Sakamoto didn't even want to make Other M 3D. He originally wanted it to play like Pandemonium!/Klonoa, but Team Ninja put their foot down. I actually hope for Metroid 5 he goes back to that idea.

Also, Miyamoto was the one who wanted to make Prime, not Sakamoto. He doesn't seem to have any interest in making a fully 3D Metroid.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
So it's safe to say a possible MH Next won't be announced at Festa considering the MHW Iceborne focus?

Thanks for the answers btw.
I'd say it's 50/50 tbh. If it happens, it'd probably be just a logo or a hint anyway.

edit: the issues with Other M ultimately fall back on Sakamoto. Making it a 3D action game controlled like a 3D action game (aka nunchuck rather than Dpad), and without the dumb wiimote scan implementation would have already felt a lot better.
That doesn't mean he's not good for 2D games though, but he was stubborn on many elements there, and this was shown in countless interviews.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I really can't trust any "leaks" that say that there was a 3DS FE remake that was planned after SoV and then cancelled. There's no time for it at all. SoV came out in 2017, and then they would have gone straight to TH. IS has made comments on wanting to make more remakes, so it's likely we will get another, but that detail about being from the 3DS is a big red flag to me.

Didn't IS mention Shadows of Valentia would be their last 3DS FE game?

Regardless, I'm on my hands and knees begging for an acceptable graphics engine the next time around.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
How you Guys would feel, if we only get a Mini Direct? I know know... but all the Pitchforks down... but what if?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It would be too soon if it was IS doing the remake, but it looks like it might've been in AlphaDream's garage. Again, if it was initially planned to be 6+7, I'm hoping that if the remake plans were brought in-house, it's shifted to Holy War/Thracia since those need way more attention.

I don't think a remake combining either two games is in the cards. They're far too large, and in the case of Genealogy and Thracia, mechanically incompatible with one another.

For context, IS had to delay the comparatively smaller Shadows of Valentia as well as nix plans to modernize its maps early in development.

Mar 23, 2018
Which one do you think is more likely:

Nintendo using all of this sweet time to enhance the Metroid Prime games with better textures, lighting, enhanced controls...

...or that it's been sitting there for probably a year now, with the port already done, just upscaled to HD and specifically MP3 having a new control scheme conversion as good as "at least it's playable"?

Also, Hunters yes or no. I played it last year and it did NOT hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.