• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Dark Samus is Metroid Prime after consuming the Phazon Suit in Prime 1. It makes a lot of sense for her to be the one you fight throughout the series. Also Quadraxis is the best boss in the series, and happens to be a puzzle boss.

Eh, but the planet is way more cohesive in 2. It actually feels like an alien planet with alien races living on it, rather than "remember this from super?"- the game.

Yes fair enough, but when every boss becomes a puzzle boss it gets a bit repetitive and kind of goes against tradition. Fortunately Prime 3 did improve on this a lot.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What would your reaction be if Capcom were to announce a RE3 Cloud version on Switch, much like RE7 before, in next week's direct?
Understandable, Capcom is throwing everything they can at the Switch, from Dragons Dogma to Okami to Resident Evil to Devil May Cry, filling it with ports, its obvious REngine doesn't scale well to their standards/liking otherwise they would make more, not many gamers should be thrilled with a sub hd/ sub 30fps DMC 5 version even if its portable.

Contrary to what many ERA fellows believe Capcom and Nintendo have a very good relationship

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
At this point, buying an actual Wii would be the only way to play MP Trilogy in the short term. I was so hyped when I heard about the MPT coming to Switch (love Metroid, but never had a Game Cube or Wii), now it just... don´t know what to think about when would eventually come out.

Yeah I have a Wii and Wii U so I'm good. I bought my copy used years ago (shortly before it released on eShop at $10 for awhile, just my luck). It sucks for those who want to buy though.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Youre not wrong and the intentional contrast does serve a purpose, but it's a little hard to call making your environment so boring and ugly that nobody cares to look...a win
But it's not boring, quite the opposite. It's so tense you want to get the hell out of there asap everytime you're in it. If you don't like that feeling, I can understand that. It's like some people don't like getting lost while exploring in a game so they can't stand games like Prime or Hollow Knight. And there are people who can't stand being in an invironment that makes them wish to get out asap. I found the way it's colour scheme, damage over time and general encounter design forming this opressive whole to be genius.
Yes fair enough, but when every boss becomes a puzzle boss it gets a bit repetitive and kind of goes against tradition. Fortunately Prime 3 did improve on this a lot.
Oh sure, if the puzzles aren't varied enough. Prime 3's bosses were hit and miss for me. I think we can agree that Prime 1s bosses are the worst overall though.. They didn't figure out how to make their combat design that focuses more on dodging than shooting work in a bossfight environment.

MP3 has a different issue for me. It's just way too unbalanced with its Phazon mode. Everything is a cakewalk in that, even the bosses, and without it everything becomes a bullet sponge. Wasn't really a fan.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Luckily I had it bookmarked just for situations like this:

Note that it's a few years out of date now, so some of it may have changed.
Yeah it's probably not the same anymore, but it's annoying when people dismiss
First of all, I should have played these games MUCH sooner, but not TOO sooner, because younger me would have gotten incredibly frustrated at the non-linearity and lack of direction. (But still, thank god for the hint system)

Anyway... (I'm making bullet points because I can't write a meaningful paragraph for the life of me)

Prime 1:
- Steepest learning curve of them all, due to my inexperience with the series.
- In retrospect the area themes are a bit lackluster.
+ Except for Chozo Ruins, Chozo Ruins is probably the strongest area in the series.
- The scan visor is better in the sequels.
- Magmoor Caverns is annoying to traverse and you have to do it fairly often.
- Phazon Mines is also meh.
+ Really strong atmosphere and music in general.
- Ridley fight dragged out for too long.

Prime 2:
+ Already experienced with the controls and gameplay.
+ The Ing are an awesome threat (and the Space Pirates make a neat cameo)
- Torvus Bog is nothing to write home about (that subterranean theme tho)
+ Area map design is streamlined.
+ Dark World is spoooky (the load times less so)
+ Sanctuary Fortress is the bee's knees.
- Boost Guardian can go f**k himself.
+ McGuffin hunt feels much more organic (rip Luminoth guardians)
- Emperor Ing fight dragged out for too long.

Prime 3:
+ Hell yeah no forced early downgrade (or at least it felt less like that)
- Door loadtimes are at their worst.
- Motion control gimmics are meh.
+ The most consistently good collection of maps in the series.
+ Elysia is awesome (oh god the shaking, it's freaking me out)
- Helios (the boss) was an absolute chump.
+ G.F.S. Valhalla spooked me quite a bit.
+ Most sensical McGuffin hunt in the series.
- The Energy Cell in Bryyo is the most convoluted mandatory collectable in the series.
+ Least annoying final boss stretch in the series.
- Ending is a bit underwhelming.

All in all, I think Prime 2 is my favourite? Maybe it's because after playing Prime 1, I wanted more of it, and Prime 2 really satisfied that desire, while also remedying to some of my less liked aspects of the first game.
Prime 3 on the other hand feels like a lot like Prime 2, but with motion gimmics (that I do not dislike that much), without some of the bullshit and without the Dark World.

So... Prime 2>Prime 1>Prime 3
Nah, it's because you have good taste and it's actually the best game. :P

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
But it's not boring, quite the opposite. It's so tense you want to get the hell out of there asap everytime you're in it. If you don't like that feeling, I can understand that. It's like some people don't like getting lost while exploring in a game so they can't stand games like Prime or Hollow Knight. And there are people who can't stand being in an invironment that makes them wish to get out asap. I found the way it's colour scheme, damage over time and general encounter design forming this opressive whole to be genius.

Oh sure, if the puzzles aren't varied enough. Prime 3's bosses were hit and miss for me. I think we can agree that Prime 1s bosses are the worst overall though.. They didn't figure out how to make their combat design that focuses more on dodging than shooting work in a bossfight environment.

MP3 has a different issue for me. It's just way too unbalanced with its Phazon mode. Everything is a cakewalk in that, even the bosses, and without it everything becomes a bullet sponge. Wasn't really a fan.

One thing that I'm hoping is that getting away from the awful robotic control scheme from Prime 1 is that it'll make future bossfights so much better; it's probably a big part of the reason that Prime 3's headed in the right direction.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019

We seem to have very similar views for the most part. You aren't supposed to like the Dark World or want to be there. Sure it seems paradoxical to intentionally make parts of the game repelling but they did it well imo. By the end of the game the Dark World even becomes safer than the light, adding some irony as well.

Prime 3's bosses were too reliant on hypermode. Varying on the difficulty bosses were either too easy or too hard, but almost always tedious. Helios will also always disappoint me as well. They gave such a cool area such a boring boss.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable, Capcom is throwing everything they can at the Switch, from Dragons Dogma to Okami to Resident Evil to Devil May Cry, filling it with ports, its obvious REngine doesn't scale well to their standards/liking otherwise they would make more, not many gamers should be thrilled with a sub hd/ sub 30fps DMC 5 version even if its portable.

Contrary to what many ERA fellows believe Capcom and Nintendo have a very good relationship

Agreed.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
you guys, get picross. there are like 3 on the switch. they're so good.

give up on a direct, play picross instead

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We seem to have very similar views for the most part. You aren't supposed to like the Dark World or want to be there. Sure it seems paradoxical to intentionally make parts of the game repelling but they did it well imo. By the end of the game the Dark World even becomes safer than the light, adding some irony as well.

Prime 3's bosses were too reliant on hypermode. Varying on the difficulty bosses were either too easy or too hard, but almost always tedious. Helios will also always disappoint me as well. They gave such a cool area such a boring boss.
It also makes for the best progression the series has ever seen. Getting the light suit was such a good feeling.
One thing that I'm hoping is that getting away from the awful robotic control scheme from Prime 1 is that it'll make future bossfights so much better; it's probably a big part of the reason that Prime 3's headed in the right direction.
If we talk purely controls, yeah maybe. design wise, especially with the phazon hyper mode, not really.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So, if we have news of Detective Pikachu for Switch in the next Direct, do you think there are possibilities of a Pokken 2 for this year or the next?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Prime3 had the worst line up of bosses IMO. A lot fo them were boring and overly long. The fights against the other bounty hunters were great though.

Nov 2, 2017
Hey, good to see ya! I remember you telling me about that. Great job. I'm replaying older some older games in these crazy times myself.

I'm just glad to be free of it. Free to enjoy whatever new stuff Nintendo puts out. I finished astral chain this past weekend. Good game. Had it in my backlog since September. Might start playing smash online again. Haven't touched that in ages .

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Will there be an option to turn off the 'anime' in Xenoblade DE? I got Xenoblade day 1 and really enjoyed the more authentic designs, the new character models are really not the direction I want the series to take.
I'm afraid I've got some bad news. =p

EEXfbt7XkAA3035

EEXfcDFWwAY1dVM

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
So, if we have news of Detective Pikachu for Switch in the next Direct, do you think there are possibilities of a Pokken 2 for this year or the next?

Doesn't seem that Harada is busy with anything nowadays. Aren't they done with Tekken 7 DLC development? Maybe we could get a Pokkén announcement sometime this year.

I want, aside from super popular ones (Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard) roster should be made up from gen 7-8 pokémon. No oldies.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Btw, such a shame you didn't really get into the Trials of Mana demo. I had and have my own gripes with it, but it's still kinda fun. Somewhat simple and sometimes janky, but fun.
Not sure if 50€ fun, though.
Yeah, for some reason it just didn't grab me despite looking really decent in handheld mode. I may get it if it comes really down in price. But for now, I'm just playing Smash, Fire Emblem and waiting for Xenoblade DE and future titles.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
no it wouldn't, not easily.
people need to stop doing this. The goal is reaching 3 million.
Everything after would just be a big bonus.

(and the game actually being good of course, but that goes without saying.)
It would be a success at 2-3 million obviously (probably even just a million honestly considering the budget). No reason why it couldn't sell 5+ million easily considering the reasons I listed. Good chance of it happening (if the game is good, of course)

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I can't say I'm too excited when comes to Nintendo potential offerings for this year (other than Smash DLC)... Since Odyssey 2 and Breath of the Wild 2 seems out of question, a NEW Donkey Kong game doesn't sound likely for now and I'm not interested in Wii U ports in general... so I'm hoping to be surprised with something else. But maybe 3rd Parties will be my backup this year ~

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I'm too excited when comes to Nintendo potential offerings for this year (other than Smash DLC)... Since Odyssey 2 and Breath of the Wild 2 seems out of question, a NEW Donkey Kong game doesn't sound likely for now and I'm not interested in Wii U ports in general... so I'm hoping to be surprised with something else. But maybe 3rd Parties will be my backup this year ~

Why exactly do both Odyssey 2 and BOTW 2 seem out of the question?

IMO we're essentially guaranteed to have one of them this holiday season. Or if not Odyssey 2 the next new 3D Mario game.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm just glad to be free of it. Free to enjoy whatever new stuff Nintendo puts out. I finished astral chain this past weekend. Good game. Had it in my backlog since September. Might start playing smash online again. Haven't touched that in ages .

Awesome. I'm done with Nintendo's 2019 lineup for the most part. I just have Dragon Quest now.
Thanks! Glad to see everyone's doing okay.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Prime3 had the worst line up of bosses IMO. A lot fo them were boring and overly long. The fights against the other bounty hunters were great though.

The worst lineup? You have the Gandalf vs Balrog fall with Ridley; the emotional fight with Rundas; the absolutely terrifying build-up to Ghor; Gandrayda mimicking Samus as she dies, all polished off by sound fights against Ridley and the foreboding Aurora unit. You could make a case that Prime 2 has the best bosses, sure, but imo it also has the worst. Either way, I do not think that the boss fights in 1 are better than those in Prime 3: the best bosses in that game are maybe the Omega Pirate and...idk the turret that shoots the bees? At least that fight was kinda funny.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The worst lineup? You have the Gandalf vs Balrog fall with Ridley; the emotional fight with Rundas; the absolutely terrifying build-up to Ghor; Gandrayda mimicking Samus as she dies, all polished off by sound fights against Ridley and the foreboding Aurora unit. You could make a case that Prime 2 has the best bosses, sure, but imo it also has the worst. Either way, I do not think that the boss fights in 1 are better than those in Prime 3: the best bosses in that game are maybe the Omega Pirate and...idk the turret that shoots the bees? At least that fight was kinda funny.
Have you played Prime 3 on the hardest difficulty? Mogenar is one of the most tedious bosses I've ever fought in a game. And don't get me started on Dark Samus.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
The Hunter fights were great but the Aurora Unit fight was rubbish, worst final boss of them all. Prime 2 definitely had the best bosses overall, which ones did you think were the worst? I thought some were a bit of a ball ache spider guardian for one. How did you forget the Metroid Prime fight, it was incredible!

Status
Not open for further replies.